Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 213697 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1505 on: October 23, 2017, 02:14:33 AM »
When was the last time we had THREE shutouts in a single week?

And the Jaguars continue their trend of trouncing their odd-week opponents. Their point differential is joint-top (w/Chiefs) in the entire NFL. Extremely impressive defense too.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1506 on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
Good divisional win by the Steelers yesterday. Their defense has all of a sudden become fantastic.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1507 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Bryant wants out. Can't get open, has hands of stone, and is probably only a few weeks away from his next drug infraction. Whoever wants him can have him.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1508 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
Bryant wants out. Can't get open, has hands of stone, and is probably only a few weeks away from his next drug infraction. Whoever wants him can have him.

Yeah he didn't show up to a mandatory meeting today.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1509 on: October 23, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
I heard that he was saying a few things after the game yesterday. It's a shame, but this team can't afford him to continue to be a distraction. It very well might be time to cut ties.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1510 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »
^ He was, and he apparently threw JuJu under the bus on Twitter or Instagram or something yesterday as well. And then didn't show up to a mandatory meeting...

At this point, I think the cons are outweighing the pros.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1511 on: October 23, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »
Good divisional win by the Steelers yesterday. Their defense has all of a sudden become fantastic.

The pass defense, yes. The run defense is still an issue.

At this point, I think it's a given that Pitt, NE and KC will be the top 3 seeds.  It's just a matter of what the order will be.  Pittsburgh has the advantage of playing in the weakest division of the three.

Also, I can't believe the Saints went from 0-2 and looking like the Payton/Brees era was in need of the Ol' Yeller treatment to leading the division in just a month. I don't expect them to hold the lead for long without a few bumps along the way but a wildcard at the very least would be very nice.

I hope they keep it up. I'd love to see Brees have a shot at another postseason run, before Father Time overtakes him.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1512 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
I think we need to start a petition to have Ed Hoculi tested for steroids.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Peters' injury could change the trajectory of the Eagles' season...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
Wentz is incredible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1515 on: October 23, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »
That was a Houdini moment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1516 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
Wentz is incredible.

To say the least.  He is an absolute joy to watch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1517 on: October 23, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
Wentz is incredible.

To say the least.  He is an absolute joy to watch.

And to see grow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1518 on: October 24, 2017, 03:29:14 AM »
For a bit of fun, I did my own pick 'em for this week's games. Managed a 10-5 record, which I'm extremely chuffed about. I'm gonna keep doing this, I think. Obviously I can't really do a season-total, as I've started so late, but I'll just take each week at a time. Maybe next year I might join the DTF Pick 'Em league.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1519 on: October 24, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »

The pass defense, yes. The run defense is still an issue.

At this point, I think it's a given that Pitt, NE and KC will be the top 3 seeds.  It's just a matter of what the order will be.  Pittsburgh has the advantage of playing in the weakest division of the three.

I would agree on all counts Kev. The pass defense has been great, the run defense still needs some work but has loads of potential.

And I totally agree that I envision the AFC as a three team race. The Steelers need to take advantage of a weak division and get a bye. They will not beat the Pats in the playoffs, they just can't do it. They will need KC to beat the Pats for them if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1520 on: October 24, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
Post-Week 7 Power Rankings

Top 10
1. Philadelphia - Jason Peters is a huge loss, but they have, hands down, been the best team through seven weeks
2. Pittsburgh - can they avoid the usual hiccups agains subpar teams the rest of the way?
3. New England - deep down, we all knew Belichick would get that defense better in a hurry: 38 points allowed the last three weeks
4. Kansas City - the defense looks like a mess, all of a sudden
5. New Orleans - Alvin Kamara is quietly one of the best rookies this season
6. LA Rams - Rams D now used to the 3-4 and dominating
7. Seattle - the combo great D and a top QB is always something to fear
8. Jacksonville - still 2nd in the league in point differential
9. Buffalo - offense came up big, which is a good sign for them
10. Minnesota - feels like 10-6, a division title and a first round home loss

Trending Up
Miami - Cutler injury is a blessing; Matt Moore is better
Houston - tough schedule coming up; are they up to the challenge?
Chicago - you know the D is good when you win a game in which your QB completes 4 passes
LA Chargers - look like a real threat now
Tennessee - ugly win, but 4-3 is 4-3

Trending Down
Green Bay - stick a fork in them
Denver - stick one in them, too
Atlanta - lucky to not be 1-5
Tampa Bay - I was dead wrong about this team; I thought they were a legit sleeper to win the NFC
Baltimore - Flacco is stealing money from the Ravens

Bottom 5
28. Arizona - I could see them losing out now, given their pathetic backup QB situation
29. Ny Giants - ugly
30. Indianapolis - coaching staff better get their resumes ready
31. San Francisco - this team is bad
32. Cleveland -  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz - if he keeps this up, will voters give it to a 2nd year QB?
2. Tom Brady - 40 and still damn good
3. Alex Smith - still no turnovers
4. Todd Gurley - unbelievable the difference a year makes
5. LeVeon Bell - he makes all the difference on that offense

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1521 on: October 24, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
Kev, 3 things about this week's ranking post.

I disagree with Pittsburgh's, and the Pats positions. As much as it pains me to say this, the Brady bunch are still the better team, and should be ranked above the Steelers until proven otherwise.

Your words on the Bucs nail it. I didn't think that they were contenders, but I expected more from them.

If I was the Dolphins I'd pay Cuttler to stay home the rest of the season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1522 on: October 24, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »

I still don't think Matt Moore is a #1.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1523 on: October 24, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »

I still don't think Matt Moore is a #1.

I doubt anyone does.

I disagree with Pittsburgh's, and the Pats positions. As much as it pains me to say this, the Brady bunch are still the better team, and should be ranked above the Steelers until proven otherwise.

I rank based on how they have looked thus far, not on how I think they will end up, otherwise I would certainly have NE ahead of Pittsburgh.  So far though, I think Pittsburgh has been better.  They were clearly the better team in all five of their wins.  Yes, NE is 5-2 as well, but needed a lot of help from the zebras to beat the Jets and a lot of missed field goals to beat the Bucs. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1524 on: October 24, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
Oh, I definitely understand that. I just think that NE has played better teams overall. Chicago has been a little bit of a surprise, but the Steelers other loss was an embarrassment despite how well Jax is playing.

The Steelers are rarely ever a pretty team in how they get through the regular season, but that loss tied to the dysfunction in the locker room makes them the fat chick that you bang without telling any of your buddies. It gets the job done, but you just don't brag about it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1525 on: October 25, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
"Well, obviously I was only referring to unimportant players. David Irving is a really good player."
https://www.thenation.com/article/jerry-jones-isnt-going-to-punish-dallas-cowboys-players-for-protesting-after-all/

The more interesting part is the behind the scenes accounts of Jerry and his dealings with Grabby, if true, of course. After the Ezekiel Elliot thing and now this it's looking like Jerry doesn't have the clout he used to. When you align yourself with flakes you generally get burned. Between Goodell and Lil' Donnie he's associating with two people who are completely unpredictable and devoid of loyalty.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1526 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
Oh, I definitely understand that. I just think that NE has played better teams overall. Chicago has been a little bit of a surprise, but the Steelers other loss was an embarrassment despite how well Jax is playing.

The Steelers are rarely ever a pretty team in how they get through the regular season, but that loss tied to the dysfunction in the locker room makes them the fat chick that you bang without telling any of your buddies. It gets the job done, but you just don't brag about it.

Totally agree. I'd have a hard time putting the Steelers ahead of NE as well.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1527 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
I think the biggest head scratcher for me is Denver.  :wtf:

Also, seeing Philly in the #1 spot is extremely painful.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1528 on: October 25, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »

Look, I get it, he's playing well, but I'm going to wait until he MAKES the playoffs, let alone wins a playoff game or wins the big one before I anoint him.  Even as a Giants fan, he's the type of player I'd like to see do well, but I think we should let him achieve the goals before we give him the credit for those goals.   

As for Denver, wow, how the mighty have fallen.  I always thought the Gary Kubiak thing was sort of odd, and it seems to be playing out that way.  We'll see. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1529 on: October 25, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

Look, I get it, he's playing well, but I'm going to wait until he MAKES the playoffs, let alone wins a playoff game or wins the big one before I anoint him.  Even as a Giants fan, he's the type of player I'd like to see do well, but I think we should let him achieve the goals before we give him the credit for those goals.   

As for Denver, wow, how the mighty have fallen.  I always thought the Gary Kubiak thing was sort of odd, and it seems to be playing out that way.  We'll see.

Oh, I totally agree.  Wentz is good, no doubt about it, but we'll see how long it lasts.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1530 on: October 25, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »

The Steelers have played 3 or 4 of the toughest defenses so far. Advanced analytic sites have them ranked much higher than public opinion, but that's ok I prefer they were under the radar anyway. All of their remaining 9 games are very winnable, even NE at home since they presumably will have Ben, Bell, and Brown healthy for the game (which wasn't the case either time they played them last year).

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1531 on: October 25, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »
The Steelers have played 3 or 4 of the toughest defenses so far. Advanced analytic sites have them ranked much higher than public opinion, but that's ok I prefer they were under the radar anyway. All of their remaining 9 games are very winnable, even NE at home since they presumably will have Ben, Bell, and Brown healthy for the game (which wasn't the case either time they played them last year).

As a lifelong Steeler fan, I'll believe a Tomlin team can beat a Belichick team in a significant game when I see it. Until then, I always work under the assumption the Pats are one up on the Steelers because of, well, history.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1532 on: October 25, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »

True, but they've yet to face a good offense. Cincy marched on them the first couple of drives Sunday quite easily. The defense looked amazing in KC, but the chiefs are far from prolofic. And the way Jax ran on them is embarrassing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1533 on: October 25, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

As a lifelong Steeler fan, I'll believe a Tomlin team can beat a Belichick team in a significant game when I see it. Until then, I always work under the assumption the Pats are one up on the Steelers because of, well, history.

And  I'm sorry, if it ever comes down to purely Tomlin versus Belichick, history WILL repeat.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1534 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
And  I'm sorry, if it ever comes down to purely Tomlin versus Belichick, history WILL repeat.

No argument from me Stads.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: October 25, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Word is that the Steelers are making Bryant inactive for Sunday's game. Good on them!!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1536 on: October 25, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
I've thought about the Bryant situation, and I've somewhat changed my stance. At first I wanted the team to cut him. Now I'm hoping that they simply deactivate him on a weekly basis, then release him after the season. I'm all for people having the opportunity to redeem themselves. Especially those that I believe are suffering from serious mental health issues. However, there comes a point where ya gotta cut a man loose because he doesn't appreciate what has been given to them. Martavis has now reached that point, and has ventured beyond.

And to clarify my stance about the Steelers being lesser than the Pats, there are very few coaches that I would rather have on my team's sideline than Mike Tomlin. However, he has made some decisions over the years that have been to his (and the teams) detriment. He has an opportunity this season to rectify that. My sincere hope is that he does.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: October 25, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
Leaving this here in case anyone missed it. Carson Wentz and Lukas the Dutch Destroyer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1538 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »

Me neither, except that a football game has never come to purely one coach vs another, otherwise how do you explain Belichick once losing a home playoff game to Rex Ryan?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1539 on: October 26, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I've thought about the Bryant situation, and I've somewhat changed my stance. At first I wanted the team to cut him. Now I'm hoping that they simply deactivate him on a weekly basis, then release him after the season. I'm all for people having the opportunity to redeem themselves. Especially those that I believe are suffering from serious mental health issues. However, there comes a point where ya gotta cut a man loose because he doesn't appreciate what has been given to them. Martavis has now reached that point, and has ventured beyond.

And to clarify my stance about the Steelers being lesser than the Pats, there are very few coaches that I would rather have on my team's sideline than Mike Tomlin. However, he has made some decisions over the years that have been to his (and the teams) detriment. He has an opportunity this season to rectify that. My sincere hope is that he does.

I think deactivating him for Sunday's game is going to be the extent of his punishment, unless he does something else dumb.

Me neither, except that a football game has never come to purely one coach vs another, otherwise how do you explain Belichick once losing a home playoff game to Rex Ryan?

No doubt, but I'd still put bets on the rule not the exception, and if we use history as our guide, the rule is that in meaningful games, Belichick teams beat Tomlin teams. Obviously, anyone can beat anyone else any given week, etc...etc... but in this instance, I'll believe it when I see it.