Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 213701 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #456 on: May 13, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »
And if titles mean everything, then Brady, Montana and Bradshaw are the best of the Super Bowl era, right?

On a certain level, I do believe this. TB's numbers weren't as pretty as most of the other guys that usually get mentioned as the greatest QB's, but his end results were impressive. I'd also add Bart Star into the conversation. His effectiveness just prior to the SB era, and at its beginning at the position is often over looked. Roger Staubach should be mentioned from that era as well.

However, there are certain guys that earned an exception. You can't do what Marino did year after year without being god-like. Had Elway not got the two at the end of his career he would have still been considered one of the greatest of all time by a long shot.

There are so few at the position that had a high degree of success over a long period of time. There's a short, but significant list of guys that deserve recognition.

I am not sure I agree about Elway. I remember the narrative about him before those two Super Bowl wins was "a great QB who could't win the big one."  I am not sure history would have been kind to him had he not gotten those rings, especially since he didn't really put up big numbers until the end of his career (freaking Dan Reeves).

But you are right about sustaining excellence over the long haul, and in that regard, Drew Brees is criminally underrated.  All he does every year is play the QB position at an elite level (regardless of who he is throwing to), yet he will never get his real due, I fear.  I mean, in the last 15 years, there have been four all-time great elite QBs, and Brees is undoubtedly one of them (along with Brady, Peyton and Rodgers). 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #457 on: May 13, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »
And if titles mean everything, then Brady, Montana and Bradshaw are the best of the Super Bowl era, right?

On a certain level, I do believe this. TB's numbers weren't as pretty as most of the other guys that usually get mentioned as the greatest QB's, but his end results were impressive. I'd also add Bart Star into the conversation. His effectiveness just prior to the SB era, and at its beginning at the position is often over looked. Roger Staubach should be mentioned from that era as well.

However, there are certain guys that earned an exception. You can't do what Marino did year after year without being god-like. Had Elway not got the two at the end of his career he would have still been considered one of the greatest of all time by a long shot.

There are so few at the position that had a high degree of success over a long period of time. There's a short, but significant list of guys that deserve recognition.

I am not sure I agree about Elway. I remember the narrative about him before those two Super Bowl wins was "a great QB who could't win the big one."  I am not sure history would have been kind to him had he not gotten those rings, especially since he didn't really put up big numbers until the end of his career (freaking Dan Reeves).

But you are right about sustaining excellence over the long haul, and in that regard, Drew Brees is criminally underrated.  All he does every year is play the QB position at an elite level (regardless of who he is throwing to), yet he will never get his real due, I fear.  I mean, in the last 15 years, there have been four all-time great elite QBs, and Brees is undoubtedly one of them (along with Brady, Peyton and Rodgers).

Brees is my all time favorite quarterback. Speaking of those four QB, they all have one thing in common: they won titles when they had good defenses.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2017, 12:14:03 AM »

I do remember hearing some of those rumblings about Elway before the end, but I mostly ignored them. I like to think that people would have looked back at him fondly after his career was over, but I could be coloring that view with my own admiration of him.

And Brees, you're completely right. In fact, I'm often guilty of ignoring him to a certain extent, myself. Then I'll catch a game, or some highlights at a point during the season and be reminded of how great the guy really is. I do have a specific memory of him lighting up my Buckeyes when he was in college at Purdue, and I knew that he was going to be something really special. I'm still baffled by how things went for him in San Diego at the beginning of his pro career, but I suppose that some of that can be attributed to the organization that he was playing for. That team seems to have a knack for screwing the pooch on a fairly regular basis.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »

Brees is my all time favorite quarterback. Speaking of those four QB, they all have one thing in common: they won titles when they had good defenses.

The '09 Saints was a strange one. They gave up a crap load of yards, but forced turnovers like crazy, and it seems like every time I watched one of their games that year, they were forcing a turnover and returning it for a touchdown.  That is statistically one of the worst defenses to ever win the Super Bowl (along with the 2011 Giants), but they managed to make big stops/play when they needed to.

I do remember hearing some of those rumblings about Elway before the end, but I mostly ignored them. I like to think that people would have looked back at him fondly after his career was over, but I could be coloring that view with my own admiration of him.

We'll never know, but the masses tended to rarely look back fondly on great QBs who never won a ring.  See: Dan Marino. ;)

And Brees, you're completely right. In fact, I'm often guilty of ignoring him to a certain extent, myself. Then I'll catch a game, or some highlights at a point during the season and be reminded of how great the guy really is. I do have a specific memory of him lighting up my Buckeyes when he was in college at Purdue, and I knew that he was going to be something really special. I'm still baffled by how things went for him in San Diego at the beginning of his pro career, but I suppose that some of that can be attributed to the organization that he was playing for. That team seems to have a knack for screwing the pooch on a fairly regular basis.

So true.  Rivers is arguably the best of the big three QBs from the 2005 draft, but he won't have two rings like Eli and Ben both do, so he will never be thought of as better than either of those guys all-time (even those he is).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #460 on: May 14, 2017, 06:59:27 AM »
I look at Ben better but not by a lot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: May 14, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
Ben is better now. Both have declined a tad, but Rivers has fallen a bit further. However, Roethlisberger has never been as good as Rivers was from 2008-2010.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: May 14, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
The AFC championship game against the Pats when he was injured .are me a believer.  He is one tough SOB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PB1

« Reply #463 on: May 14, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
brady will never be the GOAT in my opinion because of spygate, deflategate and all of the other instances that the patriots have been caught cheating. Brady is a great quarterback, and Belichick is a great coach, but they are both cheaters. Always have been, always will be.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
brady will never be the GOAT in my opinion because of spygate, deflategate and all of the other instances that the patriots have been caught cheating. Brady is a great quarterback, and Belichick is a great coach, but they are both cheaters. Always have been, always will be.

It's not like Brady benefitted from performance enhancing drugs. And it's not like he ONLY won with underinflated balls.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

Yes and many other championship teams didn't cheat either.

I feed off your hate.   I hope it emotionally ruins you when they win #6 this year.

Offline PB1

« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »

It's not like Brady benefitted from performance enhancing drugs. And it's not like he ONLY won with underinflated balls.

You're right. If you remove the cheating, the pats would probably still have at least one super bowl championship. but definitely not all of them. for example, it is a documented fact that the patriots videotaped the rams practices before the 2001 super bowl. during those practices, the rams introduced a brand new play that they had literally never run in a game or practice. it was completely new. During the super bowl, Warner called out the signals to initiate the play, and the patriots linemen responded by telling the rest of the defense what the play would be, and informing the backs/dbs of  the exact guys to cover. obviously the play was unsuccessful. just one of the many examples of the patriots cheating ways.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
Again that false accusation was proved false so go ahead, keep making things up.  Did the Pats deserve what they got for Soygate?  Yes.  BB taped in an area that was not allowed after the memo came out before the season.

Now you do know Jimmy Johnson said he did the exact thing and so did Bill Cowher? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
Did the Pats deserve what they got for Soygate?   

Definitely. They had way over the legal amount of tofu in their cafeteria.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:23:12 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
I have zero interest in litigating Spygate again, but for now all I will say is that Goodell did them no favors by destroying the evidence, because it gave the impression at the time that he was protecting them after slapping them on the wrist.  If there was nothing else there, the public should have been able to eventually see that, but oh wait, the evidence is all gone.

Regardless, Belichick is still the best coach ever, and Brady is still in the GOAT conversation.

Offline Cable

« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

The '09 Saints was a strange one. They gave up a crap load of yards, but forced turnovers like crazy, and it seems like every time I watched one of their games that year, they were forcing a turnover and returning it for a touchdown.  That is statistically one of the worst defenses to ever win the Super Bowl (along with the 2011 Giants), but they managed to make big stops/play when they needed to.

Brees should get more attention no doubt, and he should have won the MVP in 2009. Could have won it in other years too. Only issue with Brees is I feel he hurts his team, via his salary. Then again, Rodgers probably does the same too. As a result, he very well may never win again.

You're right. If you remove the cheating, the pats would probably still have at least one super bowl championship. but definitely not all of them. for example, it is a documented fact that the patriots videotaped the rams practices before the 2001 super bowl. during those practices, the rams introduced a brand new play that they had literally never run in a game or practice. it was completely new. During the super bowl, Warner called out the signals to initiate the play, and the patriots linemen responded by telling the rest of the defense what the play would be, and informing the backs/dbs of  the exact guys to cover. obviously the play was unsuccessful. just one of the many examples of the patriots cheating ways.

Marshall Faulk everyone, posting in the forum!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/marshall-faulk-patriots-cheated-the-rams-out-of-a-super-bowl/

Or is this Charles Woodson??? The Raiders would have one that SB, too!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/02/charles-woodson-still-fuming-over-patriots-2001-playoff-win/

;) ;) ;) :biggrin:
---

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
I hope everyone saw the Pats practicing the week before the SB IN 2014 for the exact play that Butler made the interception on.  That's called preparation,  not what Faulk thinks. 

Our coach was better than Faulk's coach.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Pssh. NO ONE outsMartz Mike Martz.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #473 on: May 14, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
A running back in Mike Martz system has every right to feel cheated. The problem with this situation is that the running back's anger is mis-placed. It should be directed at his own coach, instead.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #474 on: May 15, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »

One, the crime of the Pats in Spygate is not that they did what they did (by all accounts it was a common practice in the league), it's that they were targeted and they got caught.  Not really an advantage when every one is doing it, is it?

Two, BRADY didn't deflate the balls.  Whether he knew about it or not has never been proven.   And you have to account for the fact that his numbers were okay in the first half - with the allegedly "deflated" balls - and were LIGHTS OUT in the second half after the balls were brought back into code.  (And it was never conclusively proved that it wasn't the environmental conditions of the game that accounted for the pressure loss, by the way). 

Three, can you enlighten us on "all of the other instances"?  I don't recall hearing about "all of the other instances".   Must've missed those. 

Bottom line is this:  EVERY TIME the Pats get caught "cheating", and the world is watching them, they take it to the next level and win games they have no business winning.   You don't cheat your way to the type of Super Bowl win they just had over the Falcons, nor the type of Super Bowl win they had over the Seahawks. 

I suppose you're going to claim that Pete Carroll was on the Pats' payroll or something?   Or Belichick had pictures of Carroll with a pretty coed, the USC mascot, and a bucket of Crisco?     

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #475 on: May 15, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Did the Pats deserve what they got for Soygate?  Yes. 

I don't think that opinion amounts to a hill of beans.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
One, the crime of the Pats in Spygate is not that they did what they did (by all accounts it was a common practice in the league), it's that they were targeted and they got caught.  Not really an advantage when every one is doing it, is it?   

It was a thing that had been disallowed and the Pats had been warned. Did they cheat? Well, they broke the rule.

Also there's this:

I have zero interest in litigating Spygate again, but for now all I will say is that Goodell did them no favors by destroying the evidence, because it gave the impression at the time that he was protecting them after slapping them on the wrist.  If there was nothing else there, the public should have been able to eventually see that, but oh wait, the evidence is all gone.

Two, BRADY didn't deflate the balls.  Whether he knew about it or not has never been proven.     

I guess it hasn't been "proven", but there's no way he didn't know about it. None. In fact, there's no way Belichick didn't know about it. I'm not saying they were told to deliberately be below the NFL minimum, but these guys were there to get the balls the way Brady likes them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »

You mean at the time the bigest fine of all time with a #1 draft pick?  Yeah it was just a slap on the wrist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #478 on: May 15, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

You mean at the time the bigest fine of all time with a #1 draft pick?  Yeah it was just a slap on the wrist.

No.  I was only referring to soy beans. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: May 15, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
 :lol

Holy crap I missed that.  Again you win good sir.

Also I'm a red or black bean and rice guy.  Not a hill of them though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #480 on: May 15, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
Not a fan of black beans myself.  Maybe on like a southwest chicken salad.  But otherwise, they are not my legume of choice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
A running back in Mike Martz system has every right to feel cheated. The problem with this situation is that the running back's anger is mis-placed. It should be directed at his own coach, instead.

Marshall Faulk was never more productive than when he played in Mike Martz's offense.

Two, BRADY didn't deflate the balls.  Whether he knew about it or not has never been proven.     

I guess it hasn't been "proven", but there's no way he didn't know about it. None. In fact, there's no way Belichick didn't know about it. I'm not saying they were told to deliberately be below the NFL minimum, but these guys were there to get the balls the way Brady likes them.

Exactly.  I have been consistent all along that deflating footballs is like doing 70 in a 55, but while there is no way to prove Brady knew it, common sense tells us that he did.  Saying a QB doesn't know if a football he touches on every play is different is like the equipment guy putting bigger, illegal pads on a hockey goalie and then saying, "The goalie didn't know!"  Of course he would know.  Just like any QB would know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: May 15, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
Completely agree.  Goodell stopped them and was looking for 25 years to life.

I'm sorry, the 31 other butthurt owners....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #483 on: May 15, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
"The cover-up is always worse than the crime."

Had Brady manned up and admitted it right away, he likely gets a 25 or 50K fine and it's a mere footnote. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #484 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
One issue there Kev, was that this was right before the Super Bowl. People were not only calling for Brady to be suspended for the SB, but for the Pats to vacate their spot.
I think if this happened in Week 1 of the regular season, the Pats would've handled much differently. I think they had to deny it up the ass because of the looming SB.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
It's not a crime, it's jaywalking turned into murder.   

21 million dollars later Brady still won #5.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #486 on: May 15, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »

Marshall Faulk was never more productive than when he played in Mike Martz's offense.

When Martz was only the OC, sure. That team was amazing. After he became the HC it was almost like he forgot how to call run plays. I understand that running the ball wasn't going to be the focus of that team under most circumstances, but the running game wasn't even a threat under most of his tenure.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: May 15, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
And I enjoy his tears every time Faulk cries.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #488 on: May 15, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »
And I enjoy his tears every time Faulk cries.

He was a great player, but I can understand why you folks in New England would feel that way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
Be absolutely was.  But how he's handled himself in the media since makes me enjoy those moments.