Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998569 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1715 on: September 25, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
Free by OSI >>>>>>>>>> Octavarium
I don't know how you can compare these 2 albums, but :iagree:

I thought they were released on the same year, but apparently Free was on 2006. Oh well, close enough.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1716 on: September 25, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »
Can we throw in "cookie monster" too? It seems like both terms have been completely watered down to meaningless by haters. :lol

YES.  That means that DT-side discussion of this video will henceforth be illegal, but honestly that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
I know I just said that Jordan Rudess keyboard soloes at a circus would be the best thing ever, but now I'm thinking that death metal vocals on Sesame Street would be even better. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1718 on: September 25, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
I know I just said that Jordan Rudess keyboard soloes at a circus would be the best thing ever, but now I'm thinking that death metal vocals on Sesame Street would be even better.

Well, Sesame Street does have the Cookie Monster.  :biggrin:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shine

« Reply #1719 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
James is the most important member of the band.

Seriously, every good album is good *because* James is on point. Obviously this is why Images and Words and Awake are the best albums DT has put out, they were before the food poisoning incident and James doesn't hold back at all on either album.

This is also why the new albums suck. Well, okay, suck may be a harsh choice of words, but nothing after Awake lives up to those first two albums (of the JLB era). If DT want to release a new killer album that will be remembered as fondly as the early ones, they need to push James to give it his all. The only point on the newest album that even comes close is after the orchestral section of IT, "MOTHERS FOR THEIR CHILDREN!!" Yeah, that's the highlight of the album, no doubt. And it's because of James.

Now they just need to write a whole album like that, and we'll be talking.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:15:30 PM by Shine »
lake of fire

Offline j

« Reply #1720 on: September 25, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
Seriously, every good album is good *because* James is on point. Obviously this is why Images and Words and Awake are the best albums DT has put out, they were before the food poisoning incident and James doesn't hold back at all on either album.

This is also why the new albums suck. Well, okay, suck may be a harsh choice of words, but nothing after Awake lives up to those first two albums (of the JLB era). If DT want to release a new killer album that will be remembered as fondly as the early ones, they need to push James to give it his all. The only point on the newest album that even comes close is after the orchestral section of IT, "MOTHERS FOR THEIR CHILDREN!!" Yeah, that's the highlight of the album, no doubt. And it's because of James.

James is indeed an important member of the band, and I&W and Awake are indeed the band's best albums.  But I totally disagree with the rest of this.  His vocals do not make or break an album.  And just because he's not screeching at the highest end of his range constantly, or even often, doesn't mean he's not "giving it his all."  That stuff much better serves a song/album when it is present only when called for.

But hey, I guess that's why this opinion is "controversial."  :biggrin:

-J

Offline Shine

« Reply #1721 on: September 25, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

James is indeed an important member of the band, and I&W and Awake are indeed the band's best albums.  But I totally disagree with the rest of this.  His vocals do not make or break an album.  And just because he's not screeching at the highest end of his range constantly, or even often, doesn't mean he's not "giving it his all."  That stuff much better serves a song/album when it is present only when called for.

But hey, I guess that's why this opinion is "controversial."  :biggrin:

-J

He doesn't necessarily have to be "screeching," so to speak, to make it great. But there absolutely has to be a balance. The more toned-down vocals are good in moderation, but they need to have the higher vocals playing against them, or else it just sounds bland.

I think a lot of this may have to do with the song writing, too. A lot of the "newer" stuff just isn't written to take advantage of his voice. They wrote a lot of music that might have sounded good with a rougher, grittier vocalist (a James Hetflield or a David Draiman), but they just had James sing it. Not everything is bad, ITNOG, TGP, TOT are all really good songs that sound great.

And I'm not trying to say that I don't like anything but I&W, Awake, and a select few other songs. I like Dream Theater as a whole pretty well, there are a few rotten eggs, but by and large Dream Theater is amazing. I just think I&W and Awake are god-teir albums, and everything else falls short of that golden standard that was set back in the early '90s.
lake of fire

Offline Shine

« Reply #1722 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
I should also add that Moore was the best thing that ever happened to the band. But I don't think that qualifies as a controversial opinion.
lake of fire

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1723 on: September 25, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
It's too early to say anything definitive, but so far The Looking Glass > Every song of ADtOE minus Breaking All Illusions and Bridges in the Sky

Damn that song just clicked on me right away

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
Prophets of War is one of the best songs off of SC.

Offline Zubb999

« Reply #1725 on: September 25, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
ToT is my least favorite album.
Breaking All Illusions is by far my ultimate favorite song by them.
I tend to listen to their newer stuff.
I jam the hell out of New Millennium!
Constant Motion is my favorite song to play on drums next to Dance of Eternity.
I like every song released by Dream Theater on their studio albums and Change of Seasons.
(Literally every song.)
"Digga diggA den.... Digga diggA ga-den-den...
Digga diggA den.... da GAAH..."
(repeat)
Illumination Theory

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
I should also add that Moore was the best thing that ever happened to the band. But I don't think that qualifies as a controversial opinion.

Yes it does, as much as everything else you said  ;)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1727 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »

Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?

Personally, I think firing Derek and hiring JR was the best thing to happen to the band. The two albums after he joined were the most inspired and amazing albums they've ever released.
KM was fine, but he's hugely overrated here. That's my controversial opinion of the day. :lol
He was good, but nothing special, and some of his lyrics are the worst of those particular albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:11 AM »
Derek > Kevin.

Kotowboy's Controversial opinion of the day.

Also Falling Into Infinity > Awake.

Kotowboy's Controversial opinion of the day 2.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:36 AM »
Also Falling Into Infinity > Awake.

Considering how often we agree, I don't know why we don't get along better. :lol

I'll agree with this one. And that's not just because of my low opinion of Awake, but also because I regard FII a lot higher than most people. I rank it #4 just behind the big 3 of SDOIT/SFAM/IAW.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: September 26, 2013, 03:04:11 AM »
Falling Into Infinity has Hell's Kitchen, Hollow Years, Lines In The Sane, Trial Of Tears.

Plus New Millennium - which I really like.

Awake has a better opening trio - but after that it just gets boring as hell for me...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1731 on: September 26, 2013, 03:26:15 AM »
Prophets of War is one of the best songs off of SC.

What he said.

ToT is my least favorite album.
I jam the hell out of New Millennium!

These too.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #1732 on: September 26, 2013, 05:44:46 AM »

Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?

Personally, I think firing Derek and hiring JR was the best thing to happen to the band. The two albums after he joined were the most inspired and amazing albums they've ever released.
KM was fine, but he's hugely overrated here. That's my controversial opinion of the day. :lol
He was good, but nothing special, and some of his lyrics are the worst of those particular albums.

Don't think that anyone can argue that Jordan isn't a better technical player than Moore but I did prefer Moore's keyboard sounds to Jordan's (but that may just be because of the era and general tones around 20 years ago) But the bottom line was that KM lost his interest (if he even EVER really had any!) in DT's type of music and turned towards quite frankly I.M.O. totally tedious and boring arty farty type music, that bored me to tears, so I'm glad we have Jordan in the band these days and I'm sure the rest of the band is too! Plus his tedious attitude towards DT or his past with them, also shows that he really was never suited to being in DT.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1733 on: September 26, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »
Controversial opinion: Derek was the best Keyboardist Dream Theater had.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1734 on: September 26, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
Controversial opinion: Derek was the best Keyboardist Dream Theater had.

I completely agree!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Irock

« Reply #1735 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »
Upon many listens, I have decided that Dream Theater is Dream Theater's worst album.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #1736 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I'd take When Dream and Day Unite or Falling Into Infinity over Octavarium (save the title track) and Systematic Chaos any day.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1737 on: September 26, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
I'd take When Dream and Day Unite or Falling Into Infinity over Octavarium (save the title track) and Systematic Chaos any day.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1738 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
Upon many listens, I have decided that Dream Theater is Dream Theater's worst album.

Except for WDaDU, I agree. Although a bad album by DT standards is an incredible album by any other standards.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1739 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »

Except for WDaDU, I agree. Although a bad album by DT standards is an incredible album by any other standards.

A bad album by DT is a bad album anyway....the fans just overrate them, there is my controversial opinion  :xbones
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #1740 on: September 26, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
I don't think John Petrucci really has an ear for audio fidelity. I'm really disappointed that he gave the okay for the last two albums' mix and master. If there was anything that Mike Portnoy was definitely good at, it was making sure the final product sounded great not only musically, but sonically as well. BC&SL and SC may have compressed to hell and back, but even then they were more dynamic than what we're stuck with for their self-titled album.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1741 on: September 26, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
James LaBrie sounds goofy singing Blind Faith live.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1742 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
Can we throw in "cookie monster" too? It seems like both terms have been completely watered down to meaningless by haters. :lol

YES.  That means that DT-side discussion of this video will henceforth be illegal, but honestly that's a price I'm willing to pay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA08YcnL1DE
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1743 on: September 26, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »

If you're talking about the Chaos in Motion DVD, that's not really controversial at all. :P

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1744 on: September 26, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »

If you're talking about the Chaos in Motion DVD, that's not really controversial at all. :P
Well yeah, but I saw him perform it on that tour and it was just as goofy. Didn't realize others thought so as well.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1745 on: September 26, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

I agree. I can not connect with these songs at all, sadly. Everyone else seems to like it though, and that's great.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Irock

« Reply #1746 on: September 26, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

I like WDaDU better. It sounds more unique and soulful.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1747 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
My (maybe not so) controversial opinion: I think Jordan is much more musically at home on LMR than on DT12.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: September 26, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
My (maybe not so) controversial opinion: I think Jordan is much more musically at home on LMR than on DT12.

When listening to LMR, it felt like the JR that was on LTE/SFAM, so I got a similar feeling. I want him to do more of that in DT, and experiment more.
Not that I have a problem with what he does in DT at all, but it feels like he's tamed in a bit on recent DT albums, as opposed to his earlier ones that I prefer largely for that reason.

Offline Irock

« Reply #1749 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Oh boy, this should be controversial:

I want Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci to be replaced.