9 (7.3%)
Pearl Jam
23 (18.7%)
Soundgarden
31 (25.2%)
Stone Temple Pilots
3 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)  (Read 18524 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
What is your favorite grunge band? I know 'grunge' is used loosely here, because much of the material by theses bands may be argued as not grunge, but for all intensive purposes, I'll use the big five that are often referred to as grunge.

My ranking would go like this, with spaces to represent bigger gaps in preference:

1. Alice In Chains
2. Stone Temple Pilots

3. Pearl Jam
4. Soundgarden

5. Nirvana

Discuss

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »
PJ followed closely by AiC. I like more AiC songs but the PJ songs, I like more, if that makes any sense. Both great. PJ is one of the best live acts out there and the music really speaks.

STP is good from the hits I know. Soundgarden is not my thing actually. Nirvana sucks.

Because this is a discussion, I have to ask, what is the best grunge album? I have to say either Vs. or Dirt.

Oh, and no good grunge can not have this:

RIP Layne and RIP Kurt (he might not have made the best music but he was a genious)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:29:31 PM »
My favorite album by a 'grunge' band (reason I saw this is because most of their albums wouldn't be considered grunge) would probably be Dirt. I'm listening to Stone Temple Pilots' Purple right now. Man it's good. Pearl Jam's Ten is also really good too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 08:32:07 PM »
1. Stone Temple Pilots
2. Alice In Chains
3. Pearl Jam
4. Soundgarden

Can I leave Nirvana off? ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
I gotta say though. Kurt was an amazing dude. The music wasn't the best but the dude  really GOT it. He got what it was all about man. It reminds me of what The Who did in the 60's and 70's. He just understood.

/teenager

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam

Nirvana
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
I think we can all agree that Nirvana is the worst grunge band. To be fair, I've only heard one album each by Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden (but have more on my computer that I'll eventually listen to). I have every Alice In Chains album, love them all, in my top five favorite bands ever. Stone Temple Pilots, I've heard all but two of their records (one of them I have on my computer, probably listen to it tomorrow night), and all of them are uniquely different, and all awesome.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
I gotta say though. Kurt was an amazing dude. The music wasn't the best but the dude  really GOT it. He got what it was all about man. It reminds me of what The Who did in the 60's and 70's. He just understood.

/teenager

He stuck a nerve at the time when people were looking for something different.  It was the angst in his voice and music that pulled a new generation in.  For me.  I like a few songs but gravitated to STP, AIC, PJ and SG.  I liked the darker harmonies of AIC.  STP old school rock meets new sound, PJ's sound to me was very unique and Ed's lyrics were intense.  SG was Black Sabbath of the 90's and I just dug it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
Birch:

Listen to PJ man. They are by far the most "out there" band of the 5, but it is great. It folky, psychedelic, acousticy. Just amazing. You really gotta check it out there.

Listen to Bugs :lol

Exactly King. He basically started a generation. What he did really was amazing. Sorry. I'm weird.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
Considering the fact that most if not all grunge is utter shit, AiC is the best them.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »
lolquad

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
Alice in Chains by far, followed by Soundgarden, STP (Gotta hear more of them, though), Pearl Jam, TEMPLE OF THE DOG, and in the last place, Nirvana.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
Awake-era Dream Theater.  So much grunge :neverusethis:

Serious answer: Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are my favorites.  AiC is just below them.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
TEMPLE OF THE DOG
Them and Mad Season were the two next most well-known that I left off because I wanted to stick with the big five, so to speak.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »
Alice in Chains is the only one I've really liked. But hell AiC is borderline metal as far as I'm concerned.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
Alice in Chains is the only one I've really liked. But hell AiC is borderline metal as far as I'm concerned.

That's why they're the best of the "grunge" bands listed in this poll of otherwise terrible bands.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
I agree, hence why I like them the best.

That's why they're the best of the "grunge" bands listed in this poll of otherwise terrible bands.
Um, no.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:20:08 PM by Birch Boy »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
The poll says otherwise, bro.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline LTE

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »
Alice in Chains (early stuff)
Soundgarden

Everything else.

I dunno, I feel like I need to listen to Soundgarden more though, they might be better.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
This is a real tough one for me.....

All released some great albums.

Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden   I can't decide between these 3...depends on my mood at the time ...I played the shit out of Dirt/Ten/Vs./Badmotorfinger/Superunknown

Nirvana

STP...were far too poppy for my tastes
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
I think we can all agree that Nirvana is the worst grunge band.
You do realise there were more than five grunge bands, right?

And even from those five, Nirvana destroys STP.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »
The poll says otherwise, bro.
I agree that they're the best (as I've stated multiple times), but all the other bands are certainly not shit. I wouldn't even call Nirvana that.

I think we can all agree that Nirvana is the worst grunge band.
You do realise there were more than five grunge bands, right?

And even from those five, Nirvana destroys STP.
Yes I realize there are more than five. As I said in the OP (or one of my posts on here), I decided to stick with the big five, acknowledging that I left out Temple Of The Dog and Mad Season, among others.

And Stone Temple Pilots >>> Nirvana (from what I've heard though, which is only one album, but as of now, that's my opinion, although I don't see me ever liking Nirvana more than STP).

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
Pearl Jam's the only band on this list I like (if only a little bit - Alice In Chains and Soundgarden I respect, but I don't care for their music), so them. Temple of the Dog and Mad Season both top everything on here.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »
Mad Season has some incredible tracks, some good ones and some not so good ones.

I really need to hear Temple of the Dog.

And Stone Temple Pilots >>> Nirvana (from what I've heard though, which is only one album, but as of now, that's my opinion, although I don't see me ever liking Nirvana more than STP).
This really says it all. There's probably more variety between Nirvana's three studio albums than any other grunge band achieved.

STP are an okay Best Of band to me. As in, even their Best Of is just okay. Nirvana's albums are all at least pretty good. Well, except for Unplugged.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
Nice to see some discussion of this type of music (which I love).  This whole genre was an integral part of my high school musical experience and will thus always be memorable to me.  However, I don't really separate "grunge" out from the larger "alternative" umbrella of the 90's, where you had other popular bands like Live, Offspring, Oasis, Better Than Ezra, Collective Soul, etc. 

Of the five you listed, it's really a tough call -- my answer might vary upon the day you asked me.  The best overall album, I think, is Soundgarden's Superunknown, though that gets some competition probably from the first three Pearl Jam albums.  AIC, as much as I love them, never put out an album I found to be consistently stellar throughout.  I feel much the same way about STP and Nirvana; both did a lot of great songs, but none of their albums completely hooked me as albums

All this lolnirvana stuff I really don't get.  You don't like his music, fine, but I think he at least had a recognizable artistic respectability.  I liked a lot of his music, as well as his word-play with lyrics -- but to each his own, I guess.

Getting back to the larger alternative scene, my favorite album would probably be either Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory? or Weezer's debut album.  Unless you'd like to get really obscure, and then Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary probably trumps them all.

My favorite band in the alternative genre?  I'll have to give that some more thought; it's a very difficult question.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
I happen to like Nirvana the most out of all these bands, but they're also who I've heard the most of. All I've heard of the others are basically the singles, and while some of them are certainly awesome (like Spoonman) they didn't really stand out much.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »
I was never a fan of grunge except Alice in Chains, half of Pearl Jam's Ten, a select few Soundgarden songs and one STP song. I hated STP and Nirvana when I was little. I used to own all of AiC's albums but soon realized most of it wasn't that interesting. Even Facelift (which I still own) has some stinkers. Jar of Flies is a great EP. If I never hear STP, Soundgarden and Nirvana again, it wouldn't phase me one bit.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
I was never a fan of grunge except Alice in Chains, half of Pearl Jam's Ten, a select few Soundgarden songs and one STP song. I hated STP and Nirvana when I was little. I used to own all of AiC's albums but soon realized most of it wasn't that interesting. Even Facelift (which I still own) has some stinkers. Jar of Flies is a great EP. If I never hear STP, Soundgarden and Nirvana again, it wouldn't phase me one bit.

Agree with most of this.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
I love Alice in Chains and saw them in April, like Soundgarden, don't care about the rest.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »
1. Alice in Chains
2. Soundgarden

3. Pearl Jam

4. Stone Temple Pilots

5. Nirvana

Alice in Chains are probably my second favorite band of all-time (behind Kansas), and Soundgarden are great as well. I'm also a big fan of Temple of the Dog and Mad Season. With Pearl Jam, I like Ten a lot, but besides that, they're nothing special.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 11:48:53 PM »
Haven't seen anyone throw out the name Screaming Trees yet.  Both Sweet Oblivion and Dust are good albums.  Mark Lanegan's vocals are fantastic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 04:56:54 AM »
Pearl Jam, Bush and Soundgarden for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
I'm not really fans of any of these bands, but to me, Pearl Jam is cleary the best. They transended the whole era. Similar to Dream Theater, Pearl Jam is the perfact band to follow as a fan. Great albums and an even greater live experience, with long shows and rotating setlists, not to mention the mountain of live albums.

I am amazed at the following of AiC and that they were able to sustain an arena tour this year. I bought their first album and thought it was just recycled Armored Saint. I couldn't get into their second one.

And a lot of you forget just how popular Nirvana was. The eyes of the rock world were glued to them for about 3 years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 05:35:28 AM »
1. Alice in Chains

2. Pearl jam
3. Soundgarden

4. Nirvana

5.STP

Yes I like nirvana.
Don't judge me
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol