Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 310437 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1715 on: September 06, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »
Well now we did it. Nippett just posted this over at the MP forum

Very simple. No more talk about whether or not you like anyone's tweets,instagrams or FB posts.
You have a choice to your opinion but we also have a choice on if we allow it on this thread.

The usual suspects can tell on me if you like but I think tattle telling is also not allowed there.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1716 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
JSS has much more 'soul' in his voice than your run of the mill generic metal singer. It sounds different, and that's a good thing to me. Also, he's been around forever, since before power/prog metal was a thing.
The thing missing from most prog metal for me is the songs. It's the reason I love DT - there are real songs in all the musical wanking. I'm hoping Jeff brings melody to the table in SoA.

I like Soto's voice as well. I think it was a good choice to get him for the band.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: September 06, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »

Very simple. No more talk about whether or not you like anyone's tweets,instagrams or FB posts.
You have a choice to your opinion but we also have a choice on if we allow it on this thread.

The usual suspects can tell on me if you like but I think tattle telling is also not allowed there.

I suspect the bottom line is that the handful of people here - and there - taking umbrage at Derek's tweets will have virtually no impact on Sons of Apollo's success or otherwise. We all tend to think we represent the masses but the truth is we don't. Very few members of either DT's or MP's fanbase bother taking part in discussion forums. The majority will be completely oblivious to the shit storm that some believe to be raging.

PS - MP.com's juvenile treatment of its members is pathetic. I don't care if it's coming from MP, Nippett or Painted Skies. It's pathetic.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: September 06, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
JSS has much more 'soul' in his voice than your run of the mill generic metal singer. It sounds different, and that's a good thing to me. Also, he's been around forever, since before power/prog metal was a thing.
The thing missing from most prog metal for me is the songs. It's the reason I love DT - there are real songs in all the musical wanking. I'm hoping Jeff brings melody to the table in SoA.

I don't buy the one dimensional thing with JSS either - he is/was one of the most versatile singers in rock.   He has lost something in recent times , as happens to most singers as they age (and he needs a good songwriting partner ),  but very few singers could do his "gritty" tone with Malmsteen and at the same time sing the smooth AOR stuff he's done , not to mention funk etc......

Neal Schon chose him (albeit briefly) to sing lead for Journey .   How many generic metal singers could pull that off?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:53:04 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: September 06, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »

:facepalm:

Beyond ridiculous

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: September 06, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Maybe because I've never been over there, but I don't see why anyone would be chilling in such a closed environment forum.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: September 06, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
Maybe because I've never been over there, but I don't see why anyone would be chilling in such a closed environment forum.

It used to be a fabulous place to hang out.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1722 on: September 06, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »

It used to be a fabulous place to hang out.
Yeah, it was pretty sick for a while... until that damned Avenged Sevenfold led him on and then kicked him to the curb after he had already put out his press release.  :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1723 on: September 06, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

PS - MP.com's juvenile treatment of its members is pathetic. I don't care if it's coming from MP, Nippett or Painted Skies. It's pathetic.

Perhaps it's finally dawned on MP that all that thinly-veiled mockery Derek is throwing at Dream Theater  - the cheesy fantasy lyrics (In The Presence of Enemies, for example), the flights of instrumental wankery (A Rite of Passage, for example), the high wailing vocals (pick an album) - all happened while Portnoy was producer, decision-maker and, by his words, sole captain of the ship. In essence Derek is ridiculing his new bandleader's piss-poor decisions*. I've been wondering how long it will take MP to realise this. 

That was the point I was making to you, Stadler (I can't reply to you over there now so I'll post it here because I know you'll read it). If this is simply 'harmless banter between friends', then Derek should keep it that way. I'm sure he has Jordan's e-mail address. Just drop him a letter saying "Hi Jordan, long time no see. I'm in a new band and our album doesn't contain any of that cheesy lame shit Portnoy insisted on producing after he kicked me out. The wife and kids say hello. Hope to see you in the New Year, take care mate!" But no, he chose to put it on Twitter. He wants to receive a public reaction. He got one. You are big on taking responsibility for the things we do (rightly so of course). If Derek is receiving a negative reaction from some people, it's on him. If his aim was 'banter between friends' which wasn't meant to be interpreted by people like us (who "don't have all the facts"), then for fuck's sake don't put it on Twitter. Keep it 'between friends'. 

*'piss-poor' according to Derek, that is. I happen to love the cheese and the wanking (there's a sentence I don't often write), and if there's 'humour' in Derek's tweets, it's the irony of deriding musical traits which his new boss was proudly responsible for.

Here's an experiment for you Stadler, since you recently signed up to Twitter - under Derek's 'no cheesy lyrics' tweet, go post a gif from the Systematic Chaos DVD of Portnoy joyfully singing along to the 'Dark Master' verses, see how long it takes him to block you, and then we'll continue the discussion about having a sense of humour about internet banter.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:36:27 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1724 on: September 06, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »

I suspect the bottom line is that the handful of people here - and there - taking umbrage at Derek's tweets will have virtually no impact on Sons of Apollo's success or otherwise. We all tend to think we represent the masses but the truth is we don't. Very few members of either DT's or MP's fanbase bother taking part in discussion forums. The majority will be completely oblivious to the shit storm that some believe to be raging.

It's true, although I don't like the comments, I think if I asked 2000 people who DT are I would be lucky to find one person. Even less who know who Derek Sherinian is.

PS I agree. I saw your post on the MP site and I think it must come from MP

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1725 on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »

Perhaps it's finally dawned on MP that all that thinly-veiled mockery Derek is throwing at Dream Theater  - the cheesy fantasy lyrics (In The Presence of Enemies, for example), the flights of instrumental wankery (A Rite of Passage, for example), the high wailing vocals (pick an album) - all happened while Portnoy was producer, decision-maker and, by his words, sole captain of the ship. In essence Derek is ridiculing his new bandleader's piss-poor decisions*. I've been wondering how long it will take MP to realise this. 

That was the point I was making to you, Stadler (I can't reply to you over there now so I'll post it here because I know you'll read it). If this is simply 'harmless banter between friends', then Derek should keep it that way. I'm sure he has Jordan's e-mail address. Just drop him a letter saying "Hi Jordan, long time no see. I'm in a new band and our album doesn't contain any of that cheesy lame shit Portnoy insisted on producing after he kicked me out. The wife and kids say hello. Hope to see you in the New Year, take care mate!" But no, he chose to put it on Twitter. He wants to receive a public reaction. He got one. You are big on taking responsibility for the things we do (rightly so of course). If Derek is receiving a negative reaction from some people, it's on him. If his aim was 'banter between friends' which wasn't meant to be interpreted by people like us (who "don't have all the facts", then for fuck's sake don't put it on Twitter. Keep it between friends. 

*'piss-poor' according to Derek, that is. I happen to love the cheese and the wanking (there's a sentence I don't often write), and if there's 'humour' in Derek's tweets, it's the irony of deriding musical traits which his new boss was proudly responsible for.

Here's an experiment for you Stadler, since you recently signed up to Twitter - under Derek's 'no cheesy lyrics' tweet, go post a gif from the Systematic Chaos DVD of Portnoy joyfully singing along to the 'Dark Master' verses, see how long it takes him to block you, and then we'll continue the discussion about having a sense of humour about internet banter.

I am going to print this post out, mail it to you so you can sign it then frame it.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »

If I could find that .gif I would post it to their Twitter accounts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1727 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
And thank fuck for Dave_Manchester once again, telling it, dare I say it, like it is.

I've had a few discussions with those mods. I remember them deleting a couple of JLB threads I myself made, and them giving me flack about it after I complained about them magically disappearing with absolutely no notice or PM or anything. They deleted another post of mine in that thread right after Nippett's (I'll assume it was him). Whether it's their call or Mike's in the end, it's absurd. A forum is a place for discussion, you shouldn't be so partial to one-sided conversation. No, I don't at all think a few people discussing Derek's tweets online is going to make much of a difference at all, but it is a topic of discussion and pretty much the only one going on since they haven't released another single. To put everything on ice like that is just silly.

I say this as a resident Nerd of the Net who has had maybe a few stiff drinks this evening, but c'mon. You gotta allow for honest, open discussion -- but that probably died when Mike left DT. The shitstorm over on his forum at that time could've gone toe to toe with hurricane Irma.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1728 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:31 PM »
Honestly I'm at the point where I don't really care about this stuff anymore. Yeah, it was funny to rip on the tryhardness of some of the tweets to get competition with DT, but now it's just like "Oh, Derek said a mean thing on Twitter, what else is new?". I get criticism & all, but I don't really get why such a minor aspect of the band (as dumb as it may be) has been the leading factor in the discussion for this long.

In other news, I'm thinking about pre-ordering a physical copy later today (edit: done). I loved the single, so I'm confident the albums gonna be a treat to listen to.  :metal
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:17:22 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1729 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
As for your last sentence, well, again, that's your interpretation, but since you weren't in the room, you have to accept that it is but one interpretation and likely not the correct one.

Why do you keep saying this?  All we have to go by is by the way MP represents himself which is mostly shit towards DT so how else are we supposed to interpret the situation?

How about you, I don't know you, you might be a billionaire or homeless, a doctor or an Olympic athlete, I have no idea, but the way you *represent yourself* here is as a person I would definitely not want to get to know.

I'm getting tired of saying this but what we *do not* know or what *really* is happening DOES NOT MATTER.  MP is acting like a petulant child (and dragging others into it) and DT is acting like adults just trying to make music and live their lives so based on these attitudes each party is representing how else can Joe Public interpret the situation?  MP's attitude is DIRECTLY hurting MP and his projects, as some of us have already indicated, we don't want to support someone who's acting like this towards people he was best friends/family with for so many years and then that affects the people MP works with.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1730 on: September 07, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
... We all tend to think we represent the masses but the truth is we don't. Very few members of either DT's or MP's fanbase bother taking part in discussion forums. The majority will be completely oblivious to the shit storm that some believe to be raging...

I don't think that there are "masses" that know of this group and their oncoming record or would be interested in it. Surely a handful of DTF-members deciding not to buy the record don't make a difference, but either way Sons Of Apollo will be lucky to sell a thousand units or two in the first week. Prog is a niche and this kind of prog is an even smaller niche.

I don't buy the one dimensional thing with JSS either - he is/was one of the most versatile singers in rock.   He has lost something in recent times , as happens to most singers as they age (and he needs a good songwriting partner ),  but very few singers could do his "gritty" tone with Malmsteen and at the same time sing the smooth AOR stuff he's done , not to mention funk etc......

Neal Schon chose him (albeit briefly) to sing lead for Journey .   How many generic metal singers could pull that off?

In my opinion Soto's not bad, although he hasn't really convinced me yet. But a lot of the stuff I heard from him sounds kinda generic, and that Neil chose him for Journey was (imo) a huge mistake. I've heard a couple of bootlegs from that time and Jeff, while singing good, didn't fit at all with those songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1731 on: September 07, 2017, 12:26:19 AM »
... We all tend to think we represent the masses but the truth is we don't. Very few members of either DT's or MP's fanbase bother taking part in discussion forums. The majority will be completely oblivious to the shit storm that some believe to be raging...

I don't think that there are "masses" that know of this group and their oncoming record or would be interested in it. Surely a handful of DTF-members deciding not to buy the record don't make a difference, but either way Sons Of Apollo will be lucky to sell a thousand units or two in the first week. Prog is a niche and this kind of prog is an even smaller niche.

In my opinion Soto's not bad, although he hasn't really convinced me yet. But a lot of the stuff I heard from him sounds kinda generic, and that Neil chose him for Journey was (imo) a huge mistake. I've heard a couple of bootlegs from that time and Jeff, while singing good, didn't fit at all with those songs.
It's funny that Schon was brought up because his recent social media posts have been extremely similar to what I would expect from MP.  :lol :lol :lol

Also bl5150 basically just said that Soto is so good that he was the singer of journey for five minutes until they realized he couldn't cut it.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: September 07, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »

Also bl5150 basically just said that Soto is so good that he was the singer of journey for five minutes until they realized he couldn't cut it.

If you say so.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1733 on: September 07, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
So here's something I've been pondering. 

Is Mike *really* the leader of Sons of Apollo?

So far we know he helped put the band together and the word Apollo was something he thought would make a good bandname for some random band down the line. 

Derek called it Sons of Apollo.  Derek has been involved in all of the songwriting and may actually be the main songwriter (I'm sure Mike was involved in a lot of it too).  Derek also was a much more active producer than MP because he was in the studio 100% of the time while Mike was away dealing with one of his 87 bands.  In fact, Derek was so involved that Soto and him got into a big disagreement/fight over how the vocals were recorded.  They joked about almost coming to blows.  While that may have been an exaggeration (they were both laughing when it was said), in other places there was an indication that it did get very heated. 

Then of course there's the tweets.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1734 on: September 07, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »

Yup, it's definitely not a matter of the masses or overestimating the reach of this forum, for me it's a matter of taking a pre-assembled, pre-hyped, pre-packaged, pre-whatever group of fans who were ready to buy a record and turn a segment of them off by childish behavior.

And I agree about the niche comment, frankly this record might be really, really cool, but it'll probably still only move a couple thousand units, so even if this behavior only ticked off a small amount of people and caused them to not buy the record, that small amount of people could still be a worthwhile percentage of their overall sales.

So here's something I've been pondering. 

Is Mike *really* the leader of Sons of Apollo?

So far we know he helped put the band together and the word Apollo was something he thought would make a good bandname for some random band down the line. 

Derek called it Sons of Apollo.  Derek has been involved in all of the songwriting and may actually be the main songwriter (I'm sure Mike was involved in a lot of it too).  Derek also was a much more active producer than MP because he was in the studio 100% of the time while Mike was away dealing with one of his 87 bands.  In fact, Derek was so involved that Soto and him got into a big disagreement/fight over how the vocals were recorded.  They joked about almost coming to blows.  While that may have been an exaggeration (they were both laughing when it was said), in other places there was an indication that it did get very heated. 

Then of course there's the tweets.

Honestly, I think the idea of having one guy steering the ship in a band is a little silly, bands by their very nature should be collaborative and full of compromise (to each other). That said, my read of the situation is close to yours. DS seems like the JP of this group basically.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1735 on: September 07, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »
As for your last sentence, well, again, that's your interpretation, but since you weren't in the room, you have to accept that it is but one interpretation and likely not the correct one.

Why do you keep saying this?  All we have to go by is by the way MP represents himself which is mostly shit towards DT so how else are we supposed to interpret the situation?

I keep saying it because it's TRUE.   You DON'T have to limit yourself to the "way MP represents himself".  That's your choice.   Own it.   We've got three people here that I know for a fact have regular, non-fan conversations with Mike on a fairly regular basis, and have clearly stated that "you do not know the whole story", and yet you ignore that.  WILLFULLY.    And you're wrong on the second part, because even if you DO "limit yourself to the way MP represents himself", why are you ignoring the recent interview where he went on - at length - about how he is in touch with three of the members, considers himself now friendly with same, and in fact, asked them to participate in the Shattered Fortress shows (they declined, citing touring requirements)?    How do you reconcile "mostly shit" with "I'm friends with them" and "I asked them to play with me on stage"?   

How about you, I don't know you, you might be a billionaire or homeless, a doctor or an Olympic athlete, I have no idea, but the way you *represent yourself* here is as a person I would definitely not want to get to know.

Wow, okay, nice of you to prejudge.  What an open mind you have.   (Though I certainly get it; no one likes to be shown they're wrong so consistently. ;)    ;) :-*

I'm getting tired of saying this but what we *do not* know or what *really* is happening DOES NOT MATTER.  MP is acting like a petulant child (and dragging others into it) and DT is acting like adults just trying to make music and live their lives so based on these attitudes each party is representing how else can Joe Public interpret the situation?  MP's attitude is DIRECTLY hurting MP and his projects, as some of us have already indicated, we don't want to support someone who's acting like this towards people he was best friends/family with for so many years and then that affects the people MP works with.

One, of course it matters.  Context is everything.  Take the looting in Houston for example; some people were breaking into supermarkets for food and water because everything they owned was destroyed by Harvey.   That's not important?   Two, where are Mike's tweets in this (they're largely Derek's)?  You can't even keep your hate straight; you're so convinced that Mike is the devil here that you're making him responsible for someone else's tweets!   Three, since when are you the indicator of his fanbase?  I missed that vote or election.  I know for me, short of outright pedophilia, nothing the band can do will turn me off to music I like; I'm one of the biggest REM fans here and yet I find Michael Stipe tiring to the extreme.  I also see, at least two to one, maybe more, people saying "preordered!" or "I can't wait!"   So you're the minority (though that doesn't in and of itself invalidate your opinion).   

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1736 on: September 07, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
My take is that when MP spoke of insisting on total control over this new project, he meant more in terms of the non-musical stuff. As mikeyd23 just wrote, I think it's a similar situation to DT, where Derek (JR) and Bumblefoot (JP) do most of the composition, and MP acts as overall director/producer/arranger and handling all the extra-musical stuff. He is extremely good at doing that, one of his biggest assets to Dream Theater was the attention he paid to the 'fan experience' (individually-planned set lists, bootlegs, being very communicative with the fanbase etc).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: September 07, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »

That was the point I was making to you, Stadler (I can't reply to you over there now so I'll post it here because I know you'll read it). If this is simply 'harmless banter between friends', then Derek should keep it that way. I'm sure he has Jordan's e-mail address. Just drop him a letter saying "Hi Jordan, long time no see. I'm in a new band and our album doesn't contain any of that cheesy lame shit Portnoy insisted on producing after he kicked me out. The wife and kids say hello. Hope to see you in the New Year, take care mate!" But no, he chose to put it on Twitter. He wants to receive a public reaction. He got one. You are big on taking responsibility for the things we do (rightly so of course). If Derek is receiving a negative reaction from some people, it's on him. If his aim was 'banter between friends' which wasn't meant to be interpreted by people like us (who "don't have all the facts"), then for fuck's sake don't put it on Twitter. Keep it 'between friends'. 

Not an unfair post, and for those of you that don't know, my respect for Dave is off the charts.  I listen when he speaks.

But as I've said, my quibble isn't that Derek shouldn't have to take responsibility.  He should.  My quibble isn't that the reaction should be something it's not.  You react how you react.  It's a free world, relatively speaking.   My quibble is that there seems to be NO possibility that it is something other than what the reactor says it is.   I don't actually disagree with you; if it's harmless banter, it's pretty poorly executed. I get it, I'm not at all naďve.    I just don't like the knee-jerk reactions, that it MUST be this way because I think it is.  I don't get the selective ignorance of facts that we know to be true, because they don't support the preconceived narrative.   Couple that with people like PetFish that aren't even pretending to be fair, or even pretending to be accurate (he seems to be attributing to Mike all the ramifications of Derek's tweets) and you have a problem.   

Hell, you're talking to a guy that just went on Twitter for the first time last week, and kicking and screaming.   I hate social media for this reason.  I have the conversation daily with my kids:  "Dad, I was on Instasnap and I said "X" and so-and-so is retwatting me and they're wrong!   I tried to fix it on Snapbook, but he was wrong there too!"  And I invariably say "did you pick up the phone and actually TALK to So-and-so like humans?"  "Uh..."    And a week later:  "Did you ever wrap that up with so-and-so?"   "Yeah, I saw them at Chik-fil-A; it's all cool!"

You've got people dying in stagnant water in Houston and we're arguing whether calling something - remember, he never mentioned DT specifically - "cheesy" is a mad diss.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1738 on: September 07, 2017, 08:00:33 AM »
Sheesh. Lot of wordiness here. Look, it doesn't even matter if Derek is trying to be 'funny.' The impression it has given some of us is not a good one. *That* is what matters and what this is all about. Doesn't mean a lick of spit if it's intended to be a 'joke' - for some reason Stadler you are just so inclined to believe that this could quite possibly be true, and we're all dummies for not taking it in good spirit - some of his audience aren't amused by it. The intent doesn't matter, the impression it generates is not a good one. This can be applied to a lot of Donald Trump's tweets. How do you know his "Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd" crack isn't a jab, but a playful name? After all, he gives everyone names! Please. I know the sand is cool, but it's almost fall, so time to get your head out :)

The fallacy of relative privation is strong in your post. Yes, Houston is fucked up, and Florida will soon be a mess, too. So we can't talk about this?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1739 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »

I keep saying it because it's TRUE.   You DON'T have to limit yourself to the "way MP represents himself".  That's your choice.   Own it.   

As far as I have seen, he and others who hold that opinion have "owned it," so there's no need to keep beating a dead horse.  You constantly repeating the same thing and going after others for having an opinion needs to stop.  It is derailing the thread and is bordering on (and often crossing into) personal attacks.  You have made this same point repeatedly, so there is no need to keep repeating it unless context indicates that you something new needs to be brought to the table on the issue. 

Sheesh. Lot of wordiness here. Look, it doesn't even matter if Derek is trying to be 'funny.' The impression it has given some of us is not a good one. *That* is what matters and what this is all about. Doesn't mean a lick of spit if it's intended to be a 'joke'

Exactly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: September 07, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
Sheesh. Lot of wordiness here. Look, it doesn't even matter if Derek is trying to be 'funny.' The impression it has given some of us is not a good one. *That* is what matters and what this is all about. Doesn't mean a lick of spit if it's intended to be a 'joke' - for some reason Stadler you are just so inclined to believe that this could quite possibly be true, and we're all dummies for not taking it in good spirit - some of his audience aren't amused by it. The intent doesn't matter, the impression it generates is not a good one. This can be applied to a lot of Donald Trump's tweets. How do you know his "Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd" crack isn't a jab, but a playful name? After all, he gives everyone names! Please. I know the sand is cool, but it's almost fall, so time to get your head out :)

The fallacy of relative privation is strong in your post. Yes, Houston is fucked up, and Florida will soon be a mess, too. So we can't talk about this?

Of course intent matters.  it all matters. It's all part of the tapestry that we are talking about.  Everyone's interpretation is different; the only constant, the only thing that can be judged is the intent of the statement and the degree to which the statement matches that intent.  I never said he was spot on, or that the 'funny' hit the mark.  I don't find it that funny at all to be honest.   I'm just arguing against the idea that somehow what one fan thinks is relevant to Derek, his intent or his approach to marketing the music.

If you don't think Derek's funny, if you don't like the approach, don't buy the record.   It's that simple.  But don't assume that somehow you're right and everyone else is wrong (including his band mate).   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: September 07, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »

I keep saying it because it's TRUE.   You DON'T have to limit yourself to the "way MP represents himself".  That's your choice.   Own it.   

As far as I have seen, he and others who hold that opinion have "owned it," so there's no need to keep beating a dead horse.  You constantly repeating the same thing and going after others for having an opinion needs to stop.  It is derailing the thread and is bordering on (and often crossing into) personal attacks.  You have made this same point repeatedly, so there is no need to keep repeating it unless context indicates that you something new needs to be brought to the table on the issue. 

Not sure why you're singling me out, other than I'm the only one really making the case, but so be it. It's not the first time.  That doesn't mean I'm wrong, though.   I'm not now nor never have "gone after someone for having an opinion", and I've been clear on that.   I have, though, gone after someone for misstating clear facts.   I don't see why that is wrong. 

I'm being told I'm "beating a dead horse", but since I'm responding to the same wrong argument each time, I'm not sure that homicide is mine to own.    I've also not personally attacked anyone; I have however, called someone out on the factual incorrectness of their own words, even after they personally attacked me (apparently, I'm not worth knowing in person, according to PetFish).   As always, though, it's not my place it's not my call.  I disagree but I respect it.   

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1742 on: September 07, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »

Of course intent matters.  it all matters. It's all part of the tapestry that we are talking about.  Everyone's interpretation is different; the only constant, the only thing that can be judged is the intent of the statement and the degree to which the statement matches that intent.  I never said he was spot on, or that the 'funny' hit the mark.  I don't find it that funny at all to be honest.   I'm just arguing against the idea that somehow what one fan thinks is relevant to Derek, his intent or his approach to marketing the music.

If you don't think Derek's funny, if you don't like the approach, don't buy the record.   It's that simple.  But don't assume that somehow you're right and everyone else is wrong (including his band mate).

I am confused. Why can't we criticize his tweets?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: September 07, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »

Because we don't know his intent with the tweets... for all we know he might have tried to make friends with DT

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1744 on: September 07, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »

Because we don't know his intent with the tweets... for all we know he might have tried to make friends with DT

Well in that case, no one here knows the intent of my criticism. Maybe I say I don't like it and it's childish but secretly  Derek is sitting right next to me laughing with me about it, while Jordan is the other room brewing a pot of coffee.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: September 07, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

Well in that case, no one here knows the intent of my criticism. Maybe I say I don't like it and it's childish but secretly  Derek is sitting right next to me laughing with me about it, while Jordan is the other room brewing a pot of coffee.

Spot on  :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1746 on: September 07, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »

Not sure why you're singling me out, other than I'm the only one really making the case, but so be it. It's not the first time.  That doesn't mean I'm wrong, though.   I'm not now nor never have "gone after someone for having an opinion", and I've been clear on that.   I have, though, gone after someone for misstating clear facts.   I don't see why that is wrong. 

I'm being told I'm "beating a dead horse", but since I'm responding to the same wrong argument each time, I'm not sure that homicide is mine to own.    I've also not personally attacked anyone; I have however, called someone out on the factual incorrectness of their own words, even after they personally attacked me (apparently, I'm not worth knowing in person, according to PetFish).   As always, though, it's not my place it's not my call.  I disagree but I respect it.

I will offer clarification, and will do so here in the thread because I think it will be helpful for the discussion in general.  But any further discussion back and forth should be addressed via PM, please.

First, with regard to "singling out"--You are not the only one whose tone is crossing the line.  But (1) yours are the posts that are going the farthest, at least as I perceive them; and (2) yours appear to be the catalyst for others crossing the line on this issue.  That doesn't mean others don't need to watch it as well.  (the last two posts, for example, come to mind--Guys, you might just be taking a playful jab at Stadler.  But under the circumstances, it is just adding fuel to the fire, so please knock that off)  Whenever I or the mods have to come down on someone and tell them to stop doing something, and their opinion happens to be in the minority, we get accused of "bias" or "singling out" or worse.  That's just part of the job.  You aren't being singled out for your viewpoint.  You are being singled out because I perceive your posts to be a potential problem.  And at the end of the day, when I spend so much of my free time modding a board as a free service for a band I love and a group of fellow fans, I don't need added problems.  So right or wrong, I am going to put the kibosh on things that give me headaches.

Second, and related to that, I want to address the sentiment of: "since I'm responding to the same wrong argument each time, I'm not sure that homicide is mine to own."  Here's the distinction as I see it:  People are reacting to each new tweet, or interview, or other public statement.  Every time Mike or Derek posts or says something negative, it is commented on.  The substance of the posts here may be the same.  But they are responding to new things.  That is valid and isn't simply repetition.  Your responses to that ARE the same and aren't bringing anything new to the table.  Yeah, it's valid to say that context matters.  But you have made that point now.  Unless there is some NEW context you want to discuss, you repeating the exact same thing (albeit in different ways) doesn't add anything new to the discussion and comes across as shouting people down.  Others have said that on this issue (i.e., specifically the issue of the appropriateness or inappropriateness of Mike's/Derek's public commentary) that any unknown behind-the-scenes context is irrelevant, and they have explained precisely why they feel that way.  Opinions on both sides are valid.  But we don't need to keep repeating them.  Yes, it is adding posts and pages to the thread.  But it is not adding value, and I feel it has reached a point where it is actually distracting from the conversation, which is why I am saying "enough." 

Not sure what else needs to be said, so I'll just leave it at that.  I'm not trying to shut down discussion on the issues and not trying to elevate one "side" over the other (although I think I have made my own opinions on the subjects in this thread known).  But unless there is something new on the issue of whether the backstage context behind the public statements matters, let's ditch the shouting match over that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1747 on: September 07, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
(the last two posts, for example, come to mind--Guys, you might just be taking a playful jab at Stadler.  But under the circumstances, it is just adding fuel to the fire, so please knock that off)

Ok, sorry Stadler, didn't mean any harm. :) You're a good guy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1748 on: September 07, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
This thread would benefit massively from some new SoA audio snippets.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: September 07, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »

One, never said not to criticize the tweets.  First, that's not my place, and second, it's in the public realm, and fair game.   I agree with all of you on that.   Two, as to your post, you're being sarcastic (green!) but actually, I agree with you.  We DON'T know.  And once we - well, me in this case - finds out that you ARE sitting next to Derek, and JR is brewing the java, I need to shut the fuck up about it.  PERIOD.   What's good for the goose...

I deeply appreciate Bosk taking the time to explain, and I get it, I really do (and will tone it down), but in direct answer to your question (and so not, in my view, violating Bosk's not unreasonable order), I'm not on about the criticism - you may be right! - it's the next step, making judgments about Derek (and Mike) and their intent and their mindset.   That's all.   

(And thank you for the kind words; none of this is personal to me, though I am disappointed that PetFish somehow thinks I'm somehow not worthy of his time because I have an opinion and stick to it.)