Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 149510 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #1155 on: July 23, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
I saw an interesting article the other day about celebrities who pay PR firms who hire people to go out and and spread good “word of mouth” around the internet.....especially when said celebrity is trying desperately to recover from a PR nightmare.

Fascinating stuff...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1156 on: July 23, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
Todd to me was way off base with his "note for note" bluster, and to me hes a hot a mess live and has no star power like the rest in QR, but thats just my opinion
Wait - your opinion? You mean it's not a fact like everything else you've stated?  :omg:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1157 on: July 24, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
Todd to me was way off base with his "note for note" bluster, and to me hes a hot a mess live and has no star power like the rest in QR, but thats just my opinion
Wait - your opinion? You mean it's not a fact like everything else you've stated?  :omg:

again   can you point me to any "facts" on anything on QR, its all only what each side wants to put out  as "their position" the only fact that I can see is "it became dysfunctional and then broke down" .  I dont think Ive ever posted anything as a "fact" only my personal experiences from the start of the band until today .  my only point is I see a lot of venom at Geoff and its not fair if one wants to be truly objective,  I do believe Geoff is the only one that can bring the old QR experience today as NU Ryche to me just is a NU band and simply doesnt have that old feel , especially live
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1158 on: July 24, 2019, 09:12:01 AM »

again   can you point me to any "facts" on anything on QR, its all only what each side wants to put out  as "their position" the only fact that I can see is "it became dysfunctional and then broke down" .  I dont think Ive ever posted anything as a "fact" only my personal experiences from the start of the band until today .  my only point is I see a lot of venom at Geoff and its not fair if one wants to be truly objective,  I do believe Geoff is the only one that can bring the old QR experience today as NU Ryche to me just is a NU band and simply doesnt have that old feel , especially live

Not to take sides here, but I'm at best a casual Queensryche fan; from my perspective, they have two truly great albums - O:M and Empire - and a couple decent albums - Rage; I'm indifferent on Warning, though I saw that tour (and they were very good).   Having seen him in the day, I'm okay with the assessments of Geoff's talent as world class, but based on my history with the band, I'd consider myself at least reasonably "objective", and I think a good portion of the venom is justified.  I'm the first to say that "popular opinion" is flawed - I've met Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley twice each (once together, once each apart), and all three experiences, they could not have been nicer, more humble, or more "present" - but there are too many first hand stories from people whose opinions I respect that paint a less than flattering portrait of a guy that talent or not, is not at the level of artists that have any justification for anything other than humility and grace. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1159 on: July 24, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
Its weird  to me, my opinion only, the drop down a half step etc live never bothers me, and at times it makes it sound a bit more modern and less "80s" sounding...

Yeah, that's fair.  To me, it just depends.  Sometimes, it's fine.  Others, it ruins the song for me.  For instance, Y&T finally started dropping a few of their songs at some point in the '00s.  They gradually started dropping some others not long after that.  For their songs, it sounds just fine.  On the other hand, last time I saw Tesla (around 2010, I think?), they had dropped some of their harder songs, and those songs sounded awful.  The "modern" sound was cool.  But the songs also just sounded SO muddy, and the drop tuning sucked a lot of the energy, power, and dynamics away.  To me, when QR started dropping some of their songs, it was a mixed bag.  Some sounded just fine.  Others sounded way off in similar ways to those Tesla songs.  And that's just the nature of dropping the tuning on a song.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  As long as it does work, I have no problem with it.  If it allows the singer to give a better performance and doesn't suck the life out of the song, go for it.  Their re-arrangement of The Lady Wore Black in the very early '00s (see Live Evolution) is a classic example to me of where it works. 

To me the live show is about "seeing" a star ( Judas, Aero, Ozzy et etc etc) the show itself as long as its quality is, I dont expect it to sound like the album or "note for note" and with the older bands in their final years its about "seeing"  if I want to hear the song on the album sound like the album I can play the album.  Todd to me was way off base with his "note for note" bluster, and to me hes a hot a mess live and has no star power like the rest in QR, but thats just my opinion

I get what you are saying, and to an extent, I can agree.  But here is where I respectfully disagree with your take, in a few respects:  First, sometimes, the "star" can be so offputting that I don't care about seeing the star.  Tate is one such example.  According to HIS OWN admissions, the things he does not and cannot really dispute, and the things that are out there in the public domain captured on video, and the things a lot of fans and musicians from other bands have seen themselves, Tate, at least at times, is just not a likeable person.  Sometimes, I can look past that with some entertainers.  With others, I can't.  Tate is one where I have a VERY hard time looking past it, both because of the nature of the things he has said and done, and because I personally experienced some of the same things and personally know others who have.  So this is a case where I would not enjoy "seeing" him perform.  I'm not saying others can't enjoy it.  I'm just saying I likely would not, and I fully understand others having the same feeling.

Second, while the fun of seeing the performance can excuse a lot of "imperfections" in the performance, a really subpar performance ruins the experience.  For the longest time, Tate's performance absolutely was subpar.  And it isn't just that he has aged.  It is that he willfully abused his voice AND that he didn't even bother trying to sing properly.  And you could hear and see that his performance was just terrible.  He has gotten better in recent years than what he was putting out there during a big part of the '00s up through his earlier solo days, so I give him credit for that.

So that's where we differ.  As far as Todd's performance, I get what you are saying.  But for my money, from a purely performance standpoint, I would take Todd over Tate any day, by a large margin.  Yeah, he is not perfect either--he has his own flaws and limitations.  But I vastly prefer what he brings to the material.  Just my opinion.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1160 on: July 24, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »

Not to take sides here, but I'm at best a casual Queensryche fan; from my perspective, they have two truly great albums - O:M and Empire - and a couple decent albums - Rage; I'm indifferent on Warning, though I saw that tour (and they were very good).   Having seen him in the day, I'm okay with the assessments of Geoff's talent as world class, but based on my history with the band, I'd consider myself at least reasonably "objective", and I think a good portion of the venom is justified.  I'm the first to say that "popular opinion" is flawed - I've met Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley twice each (once together, once each apart), and all three experiences, they could not have been nicer, more humble, or more "present" - but there are too many first hand stories from people whose opinions I respect that paint a less than flattering portrait of a guy that talent or not, is not at the level of artists that have any justification for anything other than humility and grace.

I agree,  and well said and I too have had nice experiences with Gene and Paul and Paul is super guy and has many talents including painting as Im sure you are aware.
my point is Geoffs a "rockstar" and not a saint and I think too many want him to be 100% saint, the band for the most part is "quiet" and they come off as a meak victim to the ruthless Geoff but thats far from accurate also in IMO.
PS: Dress to Kill is their Best : )
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:03:00 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1161 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
Its weird  to me, my opinion only, the drop down a half step etc live never bothers me, and at times it makes it sound a bit more modern and less "80s" sounding...

Yeah, that's fair.  To me, it just depends.  Sometimes, it's fine.  Others, it ruins the song for me.  For instance, Y&T finally started dropping a few of their songs at some point in the '00s.  They gradually started dropping some others not long after that.  For their songs, it sounds just fine.  On the other hand, last time I saw Tesla (around 2010, I think?), they had dropped some of their harder songs, and those songs sounded awful.  The "modern" sound was cool.  But the songs also just sounded SO muddy, and the drop tuning sucked a lot of the energy, power, and dynamics away.  To me, when QR started dropping some of their songs, it was a mixed bag.  Some sounded just fine.  Others sounded way off in similar ways to those Tesla songs.  And that's just the nature of dropping the tuning on a song.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  As long as it does work, I have no problem with it.  If it allows the singer to give a better performance and doesn't suck the life out of the song, go for it.  Their re-arrangement of The Lady Wore Black in the very early '00s (see Live Evolution) is a classic example to me of where it works. 

To me the live show is about "seeing" a star ( Judas, Aero, Ozzy et etc etc) the show itself as long as its quality is, I dont expect it to sound like the album or "note for note" and with the older bands in their final years its about "seeing"  if I want to hear the song on the album sound like the album I can play the album.  Todd to me was way off base with his "note for note" bluster, and to me hes a hot a mess live and has no star power like the rest in QR, but thats just my opinion

I get what you are saying, and to an extent, I can agree.  But here is where I respectfully disagree with your take, in a few respects:  First, sometimes, the "star" can be so offputting that I don't care about seeing the star.  Tate is one such example.  According to HIS OWN admissions, the things he does not and cannot really dispute, and the things that are out there in the public domain captured on video, and the things a lot of fans and musicians from other bands have seen themselves, Tate, at least at times, is just not a likeable person.  Sometimes, I can look past that with some entertainers.  With others, I can't.  Tate is one where I have a VERY hard time looking past it, both because of the nature of the things he has said and done, and because I personally experienced some of the same things and personally know others who have.  So this is a case where I would not enjoy "seeing" him perform.  I'm not saying others can't enjoy it.  I'm just saying I likely would not, and I fully understand others having the same feeling.

Second, while the fun of seeing the performance can excuse a lot of "imperfections" in the performance, a really subpar performance ruins the experience.  For the longest time, Tate's performance absolutely was subpar.  And it isn't just that he has aged.  It is that he willfully abused his voice AND that he didn't even bother trying to sing properly.  And you could hear and see that his performance was just terrible.  He has gotten better in recent years than what he was putting out there during a big part of the '00s up through his earlier solo days, so I give him credit for that.

So that's where we differ.  As far as Todd's performance, I get what you are saying.  But for my money, from a purely performance standpoint, I would take Todd over Tate any day, by a large margin.  Yeah, he is not perfect either--he has his own flaws and limitations.  But I vastly prefer what he brings to the material.  Just my opinion.

Great post BOSSMAN,
I agree and disagree.. Id see Aero anytime, I could care less if they just wing it and have a riot on stage, for many years Aero was a mess live but I loved it as it was "crazy rockstars" at that time and day .
QR I agree is not that, they had raised the live shows to out of this world on the PL tour and Geoff was the whole show with the band being back up, Geoff was the CHARACTER.  I think thats why he will always be the ONE, and QR can only be QR WITH Geoff.
Todd is awful live IMO, hes a butcher, he has zero stage presence and comes off as an amateur, the whole band is off now with no Scott even , they dont practice much and they play a limited set of "songs they all feel comfy with" its all screens and gimmicks now to cover for the horrid sound, I think the whole band honestly is terrible and is certainly NOT the quality of  the "real QR" ( whatever real QR is ? LOL )  . I agree with you at the latter stage of Geoff and QR career its not really that important and all opinion as its kinda over for each.
when I go to  a show I kinda want to have mystery ...will it be good? will there be drama? what will the songs sound like? I dont want a stale set of ""cover music"  and honestly NU Ryche is horrible to my ears, I dislike VERY MUCH Todd's voice and each song is terrible live, the growling, the chanting, the horrible stage show, the whole sound is off .  I much rather go see if Geoff is going to have a good night? and Ive always enjoyed him with or without QR, its not like his vocals are as bad as Coverdales ? LOL
thanks for the post and discussion, sorry if I ramble

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1162 on: July 24, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »

Todd is awful live IMO, hes a butcher, he has zero stage presence and comes off as an amateur, the whole band is off now with no Scott even , they dont practice much and they play a limited set of "songs they all feel comfy with" its all screens and gimmicks now to cover for the horrid sound, I think the whole band honestly is terrible and is certainly NOT the quality of  the "real QR" ( whatever real QR is ? LOL )  . I agree with you at the latter stage of Geoff and QR career its not really that important and all opinion as its kinda over for each.
when I go to  a show I kinda want to have mystery ...will it be good? will there be drama? what will the songs sound like? I dont want a stale set of ""cover music"  and honestly NU Ryche is horrible to my ears, I dislike VERY MUCH Todd's voice and each song is terrible live, the growling, the chanting, the horrible stage show, the whole sound is off .  I much rather go see if Geoff is going to have a good night? and Ive always enjoyed him with or without QR, its not like his vocals are as bad as Coverdales ? LOL

I think this is unfair. I haven't been a supporter of QR's current singer for a few years now, and I've never been fond of how he sings the stuff from Empire and Promised Land (his voice is too thin and lacks the same type of character that made those songs powerful to my ear). But to call him "awful live," a "butcher," and an "amateur" is ridiculous, and a bit much.

I've seen him (La Torre) front QR eight times, including the first two Seattle shows as "Rising West" in 2012. I've been literally standing next to him in the dressing room, where he effortlessly, without warming up, goofing around, sang some of the highest notes in the QR catalog. The bottom line is, the man can flat out sing, and sing well. He's just more different than Tate than most people (including me) at the outset realized. Tate commanded the audience with his really powerful voice, and this intense stage presence he once had. Back in the 80s and 90s, you were captivated by him. La Torre isn't that kind of singer/frontman. La Torre prefers to run around, swing his hair around, scream, growl, and hit high notes like a European metal singer, etc. He doesn't have that same kind of commanding presence Tate had back in the day. La Torre's a metal guy, Tate is a cerebral, progressive rock guy who once had an operatic voice. Very different headspaces, and it shows in their performances (classic Tate vs. current La Torre).

It's a whole different vibe, and their voices and approaches to singing may sound similar at times, but are clearly different. La Torre's head voice is nowhere near as powerful as Tate's was back in the day. Sure, La Torre can hit a note, but while it is high, it doesn't have the same powerful resonance that Tate did doing the same note back in the 80s. Overall, Tate just has a more powerful voice. La Torre can't help that. His voice is how it is. He's not a clone. He can't be. He does the best he can to be himself as a singer and frontman, but still stay a bit loyal to what people remember. It's not an easy job following a legend whose voice, when in its prime, was compared to all time tenor vocalists.

Look, I'm not really a fan of La Torre any longer at all, so for people who know me, the above might seem strange coming from me, but IMO, insulting La Torre the way you have seems like less of an opinion, and more like mud-slinging. That's not for me to decide, that's bosk's job. But as an observation, if you want people to take you seriously, you may want to consider being a little more thoughtful in expressing your opinion.

>>>>>>>>>>>Going back to the upcoming Empire 30th tour, I'm interested to see who comprises Tate's band. I really hope he changes things up, and has enough $$$ coming in from promoters that he can bring in a couple of different people. His band now is OK, but I'd really like to see him pull in some guys from QR's past. This may sound funny, but I'd actually really dig Tate asking Kelly Gray and Mike Stone to play guitar instead of the current guys (although that Irish dude he has stage left is really good). I also think Bruno Sa, who toured with Tate last year, should absolutely do the keyboards. He can also sing (as can Stone and Gray) and that would really help with the vocals.

The drummer situation just sucks. Honestly, I wish whatever ails Scott (Tate has alluded to him being in a "dark place," which often is synonymous with dependency issues) could be overcome. I think Tate, Rockenfield, Gray, Stone, Sa, and a good bass player could make this a really special tour. Then again, you have to have the $$$ to pay these guys and make it worth it for them. And since I don't know what kind of guarantees Tate is getting from promoters, my guess is, a lineup like that is probably not going to be a reality.

It will, however, be nice to hear some other songs again, like One and Only, Hand on Heart, Anybody Listening, Resistance, Chemical Youth, Surgical Strike, etc. I'm a little scared to hear "Neue Regel" and "Screaming in Digital" performed though, and "Anybody Listening." Those are three of my personal favorites and I just hope they can be delivered well live.

*edited to fix a sentence*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:59:54 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1163 on: July 24, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »
[LaTorre doesn't suck]

:tup  Great post.  And specifically:

I think this is unfair. I haven't been a supporter of QR's current singer for a few years now, and I've never been fond of how he sings the stuff from Empire and Promised Land (his voice is too thin and lacks the same type of character that made those songs powerful to my ear). But to call him "awful live," and a "butcher," and "amateur" is ridiculous, and a bit much.

Look, I'm not really a fan of La Torre any longer at all, so for people who know me, the above might seem strange to ready coming from me, but insulting the guy the way you have seems like less of an opinion, and more like mud-slinging. That's not for me to decide, that's bosk's job. But as an observation, if you want people to take you seriously, you may want to consider being a little more thoughtful in expressing your opinion.

Exactly.  This is basically what I and others have been calling EPICVIEW out on.  Opinions are fine.  But they can also cross the line when presented improperly.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: July 24, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
Can't speak to all the venues, but the place in Connecticut he's playing next February is capacity 600 (Toad's Place, a legendary club that DT played a lot in the early days, is about 750) and for reference, a month or so before, a couple guys I went to high school with (one of them married my high school girlfriend) are playing in their 80's metal cover band (think "Metal Skool" without the fun, the talent and the irony).   I can't see this as being Geoff's version of the "Not In This Lifetime" tour.  ;)   

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: July 24, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
Can't speak to all the venues, but the place in Connecticut he's playing next February is capacity 600 (Toad's Place, a legendary club that DT played a lot in the early days, is about 750) and for reference, a month or so before, a couple guys I went to high school with (one of them married my high school girlfriend) are playing in their 80's metal cover band (think "Metal Skool" without the fun, the talent and the irony).   I can't see this as being Geoff's version of the "Not In This Lifetime" tour.  ;)   

Been to Toad's many times. I don't think this tour will be like Not in This Lifetime either. LOL. I'm just saying, some of the B-list QR alum (Stone, Gray) would be cool for me personally. Obviously, I don't think, given the venues, the money will be available to do that.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: July 24, 2019, 02:17:08 PM »

Been to Toad's many times. I don't think this tour will be like Not in This Lifetime either. LOL. I'm just saying, some of the B-list QR alum (Stone, Gray) would be cool for me personally. Obviously, I don't think, given the venues, the money will be available to do that.  :lol

If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Toad's again, reach out.  Beer's on me. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1167 on: July 24, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
He doesn't like lawyers.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: July 24, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
That's okay; neither do I.  :) :) :) :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: July 24, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »

If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Toad's again, reach out.  Beer's on me.

I will at some point. Went to law school up that way. Need to head back at some point. Haven't been back since graduation (almost 20 years). About time for a return trip. :lol

He doesn't like lawyers.

Truth.  :rollin

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: July 24, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

I think this is unfair. I haven't been a supporter of QR's current singer for a few years now, and I've never been fond of how he sings the stuff from Empire and Promised Land (his voice is too thin and lacks the same type of character that made those songs powerful to my ear). But to call him "awful live," and a "butcher," and "amateur" is ridiculous, is a bit much.

I've seen him (La Torre) front QR eight times, including the first two Seattle shows as "Rising West" in 2012. I've been literally standing next to him in the dressing room, where he effortlessly, without warming up, goofing around, sang some of the highest notes in the QR catalog. The bottom line is, the man can flat out sing, and sing well. He's just more different than Tate than most people (including me) at the outset realized. Tate commanded the audience with his really powerful voice, and this intense stage presence he once had. Back in the 80s and 90s, you were captivated by him. La Torre isn't that kind of singer/frontman. La Torre prefers to run around, swing his hair around, scream, growl, and hit high notes like a European metal singer, etc. He doesn't have that same kind of commanding presence Tate had back in the day. La Torre's a metal guy, Tate is a cerebral, progressive rock guy who once had an operatic voice. Very different headspaces, and it shows in their performances (classic Tate vs. current La Torre).

It's a whole different vibe, and their voices and approaches to singing may sound similar at times, but are clearly different. La Torre's head voice is nowhere near as powerful as Tate's was back in the day. Sure, La Torre can hit a note, but while it is high, it doesn't have the same powerful resonance that Tate did doing the same note back in the 80s. Overall, Tate just has a more powerful voice. La Torre can't help that. His voice is how it is. He's not a clone. He can't be. He does the best he can to be himself as a singer and frontman, but still stay a bit loyal to what people remember. It's not an easy job following a legend whose voice, when in its prime, was compared to all time tenor vocalists.

Look, I'm not really a fan of La Torre any longer at all, so for people who know me, the above might seem strange coming from me, but IMO, insulting La Torre the way you have seems like less of an opinion, and more like mud-slinging. That's not for me to decide, that's bosk's job. But as an observation, if you want people to take you seriously, you may want to consider being a little more thoughtful in expressing your opinion.

>>>>>>>>>>>Going back to the upcoming Empire 30th tour, I'm interested to see who comprises Tate's band. I really hope he changes things up, and has enough $$$ coming in from promoters that he can bring in a couple of different people. His band now is OK, but I'd really like to see him pull in some guys from QR's past. This may sound funny, but I'd actually really dig Tate asking Kelly Gray and Mike Stone to play guitar instead of the current guys (although that Irish dude he has stage left is really good). I also think Bruno Sa, who toured with Tate last year, should absolutely do the keyboards. He can also sing (as can Stone and Gray) and that would really help with the vocals.

The drummer situation just sucks. Honestly, I wish whatever ails Scott (Tate has alluded to him being in a "dark place," which often is synonymous with dependency issues) could be overcome. I think Tate, Rockenfield, Gray, Stone, Sa, and a good bass player could make this a really special tour. Then again, you have to have the $$$ to pay these guys and make it worth it for them. And since I don't know what kind of guarantees Tate is getting from promoters, my guess is, a lineup like that is probably not going to be a reality.

It will, however, be nice to hear some other songs again, like One and Only, Hand on Heart, Anybody Listening, Resistance, Chemical Youth, Surgical Strike, etc. I'm a little scared to hear "Neue Regel" and "Screaming in Digital" performed though, and "Anybody Listening." Those are three of my personal favorites and I just hope they can be delivered well live.

*edited to fix a sentence*

cool post and cool discussion, I simply do not like the sound of Todds voice at all, and Geoffs voice is much more pleasing to my ears even today. as far as Todds live stage presences, to me, its comical and simply does not have any QR feel ( whatever QR feel is ?LOL)  it like hes trying too hard? where Tate made it look easy and  as far as an entertainer Geoff simply has that ability to command the stage, Todd today can never do what Geoff did 20 years ago and to me they are apples and oranges, I dont get caught up in the high note stuff as I feel its awkward and out of date sounding , I never liked Slaughter or Vinnie Vincent type stuff ) to my ears Rob Halford is the master of the perfect amount and today if Rob couldnt hit any high notes Id still love Rob. thats how I feel about Geoff. its a fun convo and to me this sort of convo is more entertaining than Geoffs music or QR music apart from each other.  I personally dont want a reunion I want Geoff to get a true stud band like Rob did and do the QR songs, but his current bands seem ok and do give the QR vibe.  I personally see nothing in the current NU Ryche to even like and the band to me is a bunch of zilches ( Jackson and Wilton?) Im always sorta confused when people are so gaga over the current Nu Ryche , they might be enjoyable for those who like them, but its simply not QR. IMO . I also enjoy Geoff when hes acoustic and his voice shines on the mellow stuff, maybe Im getting old LOL

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1172 on: July 24, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
God no, not Stone and Grey. The band on the UK tour last summer with the Canadian dude on guitar we’re excellent. The rest I think were from Tate’s daughter’s band. Played Mindcrime flawlessly.

I’m hoping when I see Tate in a few weeks he does the whole of RFO , but I think it was billed as a greatest hits show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: July 24, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
I get why bands do it, but it seems to be a thing now where bands think "let's replace our old iconic singer with a new one who sounds a lot like him."  Judas Priest did it, Journey did it, Styx did it, Yes did it, Queensryche did it, etc.  And there will always be a segment of longtime fans who are turned off by a poor man's whomever (since the new singer is almost never as good as the older one). 

Imagine if Van Halen had replaced David Lee Roth in the mid 80's with a guy who sounded just like him instead of getting Sammy Hagar, who had a very different sound and style.  They would have flopped.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1174 on: July 24, 2019, 09:31:25 PM »
I get why bands do it, but it seems to be a thing now where bands think "let's replace our old iconic singer with a new one who sounds a lot like him."  Judas Priest did it, Journey did it, Styx did it, Yes did it, Queensryche did it, etc.  And there will always be a segment of longtime fans who are turned off by a poor man's whomever (since the new singer is almost never as good as the older one). 

Imagine if Van Halen had replaced David Lee Roth in the mid 80's with a guy who sounded just like him instead of getting Sammy Hagar, who had a very different sound and style.  They would have flopped.

Its interesting and there are so many who have tried... but it never seems to work out in the long run

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1175 on: July 25, 2019, 01:06:09 AM »
Iron Maiden went with a different kind of singer and that didn't precisely work good for them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1176 on: July 25, 2019, 03:29:31 AM »
God no, not Stone and Grey. The band on the UK tour last summer with the Canadian dude on guitar we’re excellent. The rest I think were from Tate’s daughter’s band. Played Mindcrime flawlessly.

If they can play that mid-song riff break in Suite Sister Mary without it sounding all cheery and bouncy like Robert Sarzo did it's a good start  :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: July 25, 2019, 08:43:34 AM »
Iron Maiden went with a different kind of singer and that didn't precisely work good for them.

not the same   3 years maybe versus 30 years and the band Maiden is a far superior band with each member a bigger element and more well known. some of old timers like me still like Paul and were not not happy when Bruce came in
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:45:06 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1178 on: July 25, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
???  He was talking about Blaze.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1179 on: July 25, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »

ah   my bad LOL 

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #1180 on: July 25, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
Shows you how well it went, when people completely forget about Blaze :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: July 26, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
Who?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1182 on: July 26, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »

I just saw Blaze headline two shows this year. The first because one of my favorite local-ish bands (MindMaze) was opening. Blaze was not on my radar at all and within three weeks of that first show, I had his entire solo catalog. There are some killer tracks from the two Maiden albums with Blaze and I always liked that they are not completely disregarded by the band the way the Ripper albums are by Judas Priest. I wore the Blaze tour shirt when I saw Maiden a few days ago and got some thumbs up from a few people there...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1183 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »

very true...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1184 on: July 29, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »

I just saw Blaze headline two shows this year. The first because one of my favorite local-ish bands (MindMaze) was opening. Blaze was not on my radar at all and within three weeks of that first show, I had his entire solo catalog. There are some killer tracks from the two Maiden albums with Blaze and I always liked that they are not completely disregarded by the band the way the Ripper albums are by Judas Priest. I wore the Blaze tour shirt when I saw Maiden a few days ago and got some thumbs up from a few people there...

Thats cool ... Its always interesting when a band tries to replace a unique or very talented voice.

its the Dokken thing.. when they split up if one wanted the sound of Dokken it was Dokken solo...etc etc etc  ,,, Id say RJD and Rainbow was one where each just were great they both did well and the fans won but The best Rainbow is with RJD by far

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:05:19 PM by EPICVIEW »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: August 02, 2019, 07:08:45 AM »

Thats cool ... Its always interesting when a band tries to replace a unique or very talented voice.

its the Dokken thing.. when they split up if one wanted the sound of Dokken it was Dokken solo...etc etc etc  ,,, Id say RJD and Rainbow was one where each just were great they both did well and the fans won but The bestMY FAVORITE Rainbow is with RJD by far

Fixed.  Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite musician by a LONG SHOT, and I actually think that, other than "Rising", the second two JLT records beat anything that came before.    "Fire Dance" is likely my favorite vocal performance in the Rainbow discography. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1186 on: August 06, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Hi Stad, I like JLT a lot also, he had a great smooth pleasant voice

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1187 on: October 27, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
So I happened to be looking into this guy named Simone Mularoni and stumbled across an interesting artlice about his working with Tater on the Sweet Oblivion project. Needless to say, sounds like Tater and Susan haven't changed a bit.

https://allthatshreds.com/simone-mularoni-says-geoff-tate-nearly-sabbotaged-sweet-oblivion/

“Serrafino, Chief of Frontiers Records, got me in touch with Geoff Tate and Tate was also happy with the music and the rough vocal melodies I had delivered. Very soon he sent me the first two songs back. (Simone pauses, in order to contain his emotions.) The entire structure of the songs had changed. The guitar solos were erased and the vocal melodies were a closer resemblance to Hip-Hop rather than Metal. Besides that, he added all sorts of strange keyboard sounds. I was in shock and wondered how Frontiers would feel about this. They were not pleased either and asked me to persuade Tate to stay closer to the original ideas. So I wrote him a polite email, something along the lines of ‘I think my version will do better commercially.’ But his wife, also his manager, throwing a fit, phoned Frontiers and demanded to know what I was thinking, how dare I criticize Tate’s work? Wow, I had a high opinion of Geoff Tate, but now I was summoned to the Frontiers office. Luckily, I had kept all the email correspondence and could show that I hadn’t been rude to Geoff. I told them that I would produce the album for them, but if the final results would be anything like the songs Geoff sent back, I wouldn’t want my name on it.”

Question: The contact with Tate was not so friendly after that?

Answer: What contact? “He simply quit responding to my emails. A few weeks later, I got all my material back. Geoff had recorded his vocals on the tour-bus. Who records vocals on a tour-bus? I struggled for a month just to make it all sound a bit better. Ultimately, the album turned out okay, but If we had done it my way…”
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 27, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »
That was posted a while back maybe somewhere else.  Simone got dudded here.  And got called to the office to prove he wasn't rude to him after his wife got her tits in a knot.  WTF? Frontiers told Simone to contact him to tell him to keep the songs how they were in the first place.

Safe to say there won't be a follow up album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #1189 on: October 27, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »
Geoff's version is of course completely contradictory to Simone's version.
Geoff loved the process and the fact that they never met, but communicated through e-mail. And he would be open to do a follow-up...
Safe to say there won't be a follow-up, indeed.