Author Topic: Eclipse 2024 v. WHERE THE F*CK DID THE SUN GO??! ??  (Read 933 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Eclipse 2024 v. WHERE THE F*CK DID THE SUN GO??! ??
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2024, 12:28:04 AM »
Wanted to share a time lapse I took that shows the shadow of the moon moving in.

https://youtu.be/bUrspSgZ4rg?feature=shared
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2024, 01:15:37 AM »
Awesome photo Bart!

My top #1 phenomenon to see is the aurora borealis, can't shuffle off this mortal coil without having seen it first, but a total eclipse would come second I guess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2024, 05:05:42 AM »
Wanted to share a time lapse I took that shows the shadow of the moon moving in.

https://youtu.be/bUrspSgZ4rg?feature=shared

Seems fake - the clouds in the sky don't move a single bit, so I'm having trouble believing that one isn't doctored.

Here's one mrs.jingle shared with me from someone locally (to me).

https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1777450936681603143

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2024, 07:01:19 AM »
Seems fake - the clouds in the sky don't move a single bit, so I'm having trouble believing that one isn't doctored.
Ha! I'll take that as a compliment I guess. I used set my phone for a 10X I think like 6-8 minutes before totality and left it there, that's what came out. Those were high clouds and very slow moving.

Here are some quick shots I took:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2024, 07:22:08 AM »
Great shots!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2024, 07:23:12 AM »
Clevelander here–was pretty wild, not gonna lie.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2024, 07:27:37 AM »
We're in an area that had 95% coverage, but apparently 95% coverage isn't jack.  It got a little darker outside for a few minutes, right at the peak.  We came back inside and watched the live coverage on TV for a while, then I went back to work.  I guess I was thinking 95% coverage would at least be more noticeable, a bit more interesting.  Oh well.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 08:34:25 AM »
Th earthquake trumped the eclipse as far as excitement for me
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 08:38:34 AM »
Ha! I'll take that as a compliment I guess. I used set my phone for a 10X I think like 6-8 minutes before totality and left it there, that's what came out. Those were high clouds and very slow moving.

The Moon Landing...   The Amityville Horror... now Lonk's eclipse photos........  HAHAHA, I kid.  I don't think that at all.

I think those photos are outstanding, and particularly love the first two for different reasons. 

Where did you end up going?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 09:39:58 AM »
Plattsburgh, NY. I considered going east to VT, but figured the additional 3-4 hour drive wasn't worth the slightly better chance of weather. Glad I stayed in Plattsburgh!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 09:42:49 AM »

Awesome

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »
Plattsburgh, NY. I considered going east to VT, but figured the additional 3-4 hour drive wasn't worth the slightly better chance of weather. Glad I stayed in Plattsburgh!
Plattsburgh is a cool town. I enjoyed my stay there.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 10:49:26 AM »
We're in an area that had 95% coverage, but apparently 95% coverage isn't jack.  It got a little darker outside for a few minutes, right at the peak.  We came back inside and watched the live coverage on TV for a while, then I went back to work.  I guess I was thinking 95% coverage would at least be more noticeable, a bit more interesting.  Oh well.

That was our feeling as well.  Yeah, it got darker, basically like it does around sunset, then it got lighter. 

So many of our neighbors called their kids out of school for the day, which I found to be a little obnoxious.  Yeah, it's cool, you can use glasses to look at the sun for an hour, but in reality, we weren't under total darkness.  So your kid missed an entire day of school for 20 minutes of mostly-darkness during the day.   :huh:  Didn't seem worth it to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2024, 10:52:55 AM »
That was our feeling as well.  Yeah, it got darker, basically like it does around sunset, then it got lighter. 

So many of our neighbors called their kids out of school for the day, which I found to be a little obnoxious.  Yeah, it's cool, you can use glasses to look at the sun for an hour, but in reality, we weren't under total darkness.  So your kid missed an entire day of school for 20 minutes of mostly-darkness during the day.   :huh:  Didn't seem worth it to me.

I was thinking this myself.  I know some schools in NJ had half days so the kids would be home before the eclipse, but like... if you didn't know there was an eclipse, you wouldn't know.  Seemed like life could have continued as normal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2024, 11:03:50 AM »

We - my company - has a plant there.  Never been, but I'd like to go.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2024, 11:16:35 AM »
Not total here in RI, but around 3:30 it got pretty dark (it looked like near dusk) with this eerie bluish glow.

My brother in upstate NY had totality. He sent a pic of the eclipse "sunset" on the horizon which was pretty cool.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 05:35:29 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 06:08:37 PM »
Posted this on FB yesterday with the comment "So Blessed to have been able to see this eclipse up close....what an experience. Didn't even need glasses"

Was walking through the parking lot at a job site and couldn't resist being a huge dork and going for low hanging fruit.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2024, 07:38:56 AM »
Watching it happen in Mexico on the NASA live feed. It is pretty cool, but this is also a much better view that you can get with glasses and your naked eyes.
I know the Eclipse is already old news, but I meant to respond to this comment because what ElBarto wrote below:

When you get that 100% totality you look at it without the glasses on and it's a giant flaming hole in the goddamned sky. Like I said, it's really dramatic. Even 99.9 is too bright too see without glasses, unfortunately. That was the annular eclipse last fall. Totality really is something different.

I don't think there is any amount of videos or pictures that can provide the same experience as being under totality. Partial eclipses are cool, but nothing really special. the visual of totality combined with everything else comes with it is a very unique experience. The one thing that videos do show is all the different emotions it can cause on people.

Also, while not necessarily a very prestigious achievement, the guy that taught me some night sky photography stuff was featured on the Astronomy Picture of the Day for his eclipse picture. He's been featured a few times already though, so not a first for him.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap240409.html

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2024, 10:00:55 AM »
Seems there was a spike on Google in the search for "why do my eyes hurt" yesterday  :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2024, 10:01:19 AM »
Posted this on FB yesterday with the comment "So Blessed to have been able to see this eclipse up close....what an experience. Didn't even need glasses"

Was walking through the parking lot at a job site and couldn't resist being a huge dork and going for low hanging fruit.

:rollin :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2024, 10:24:18 AM »
Seems there was a spike on Google in the search for "why do my eyes hurt" yesterday  :lol

I tell you what....I had the glasses and obviously know better than to look straight at the sun....but, you really have to stay focused on 'not' doing it  :lol   With the attention drawn to the eclipse there's a tendency there to just 'look' that I thankfully was able to control but I'm gonna lay off making fun of those folks because it took some will power  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2024, 06:45:05 AM »
My wife was outside looking at the Eclipse and called me over and my first instinct was just to take a gander with some safety squints but luckily I stopped myself. I can totally understand how it happens.