Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915514 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5075 on: August 08, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »
Maybe they're planning something else with the "making of" videos?  Online or something? 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5076 on: August 08, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
Anyone else doing, like me, a full DT album discography run till the new album comes out? I've started today while playing games, but I'll probably continue to do only one or two albums per weekend to get closer to the release date. :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5077 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:18 PM »
Anyone else doing, like me, a full DT album discography run till the new album comes out? I've started today while playing games, but I'll probably continue to do only one or two albums per weekend to get closer to the release date. :metal

Eh, I did that a couple of months ago.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5078 on: August 08, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
I figured I would do it closer to the release date, and do less albums per week, otherwise I would probably want to keep doing it over and over again. :lol

Offline liran95

« Reply #5079 on: August 08, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »

Yep.
I will start September 13th, so I could listen to ADTOE on the 23rd, and then to DT12 on the 24th :)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5080 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:35 PM »
I started it a little while ago, and I also committed to only listen to the new single once per every DT album I listen to.
Although, I'm not just doing the albums, I'm doing the live albums, and their entire Videography... I might even get a couple of Ytsejam releases that I don't have yet.

Still, in spite of all that, I have a feeling I'll run out of material well before the 24th. But hopefully, now that I have Impermanent Resonance, listening to that will space out my DT listening sessions.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #5081 on: August 09, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
Ordered the box set  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5082 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
I figured I would do it closer to the release date, and do less albums per week, otherwise I would probably want to keep doing it over and over again. :lol

So you can relive the moment?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5083 on: August 09, 2013, 06:24:02 AM »
Sort Of New Discussion !

I didn't want to start a brand new thread for this :

Does anyone else apart from me feel a little bit relieved when there are 8 or more songs on a new DT album ?

I was a bit deflated about Black Clouds only having 6 songs as I knew that it would get old really fast and Dramatic Turn still sounds fresh as there is more

choice.

Furthermore - I'm also glad that the songs are all under 9 minutes as that too makes the album stay fresh longer ( in my opinion )...

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5084 on: August 09, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »
No such feelings here. I almost exclusively listen to full albums. I don't care whether it's 70 minutes of music in 6 epic multi-section songs or 9 shorter straight-forward songs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5085 on: August 09, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »
For me - when I just wanna throw on a song to get ready to. . .

If an album only has two short(er) songs on it and you're bored of those two already - I can't really be bothered putting on a 15 minute song which won't finish by the time i'm ready to go out. . .

Of course this isn't the only circumstance when i'll listen to a quick song but it's an example.

Sometimes you just wanna chuck on a quick song and Black Clouds has two songs which clock in under ten minutes.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #5086 on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »

Good idea! Are you starting with WDADU? I haven't ever listened to it entirely, mainly because I'm such a JLB fangirl that I have trouble bringing myself to listen to any Dream Theater that doesn't have his vocals. xD

Does anyone else apart from me feel a little bit relieved when there are 8 or more songs on a new DT album ?

I was a bit deflated about Black Clouds only having 6 songs as I knew that it would get old really fast and Dramatic Turn still sounds fresh as there is more choice.

Furthermore - I'm also glad that the songs are all under 9 minutes as that too makes the album stay fresh longer ( in my opinion )...

I think it entirely depends on the songs themselves, not the length. If an album is structured like BC&SL, I don't feel that necessarily means it won't stay fresh. I think the songwriting has far more to do with it feeling fresh than the length of the songs. For instance, take disc one of SDOIT. There's three songs that clock in at over 10 minutes, but I find that it has stayed fresh even with that length. So, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. :P

THAT BEING SAID I have no problem with short songs because they can be more convenient to listen to. My train ride to and from work is about 30 minutes each way. That's Octavarium and another short song, which doesn't always hit my Dream Theater fix. :biggrin:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5087 on: August 09, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
I used to think "the longer the song the better, teh progz ftw", but nowadays I agree with Kotowboy. There's more variety and excitement when an album contains more songs / shorter ones. Of course the chance of filler is bigger (if an album has 15 tracks, it's pretty much impossible in most cases that all 15 are great), but if there is some filler on let's say ADTOE, it wouldn't bother me as much as it does on BC&SL. On that album I consider two songs to be pretty much unlistenable (AROP and TBOT), and that ruins the entire listening experience.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5088 on: August 09, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »
I'm not defending BC&SL. It's honestly probably my least favorite of their albums. However, I think I'm in the minority when I say that I didn't especially enjoy ADTOE. So maybe that's why I'm coming from the mentality I am, because I didn't necessarily enjoy the album we're using as an example.

I think it just depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want to listen to a bunch of shorter songs, and sometimes I want to listen to a monstrous 8-part suite. Thankfully, Dream Theater is varied enough to supply both kinds of music for whatever mood I happen to be in.

To bring it back on topic a bit, I am incredibly excited about IT since I'm pretty sure it'll hit my cycle of epics right away. And the variety will probably work in this album's favor.

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #5089 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
am I allowed to post a translation of an italian fan's review who received a promo copy? he said is going to post his article today

Offline Estiui

« Reply #5090 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
am I allowed to post a translation of an italian fan's review who received a promo copy? he said is going to post his article today

If not, PM please. Even in Italian  :lol

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #5091 on: August 09, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »
ahahha sure  :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5092 on: August 09, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Good idea! Are you starting with WDADU? I haven't ever listened to it entirely, mainly because I'm such a JLB fangirl that I have trouble bringing myself to listen to any Dream Theater that doesn't have his vocals. xD

Listen to WDADU. The songs are mostly quite good, and Charlie's actually a pretty good singer.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5093 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »

Listen to WDADU. The songs are mostly quite good, and Charlie's actually a pretty good singer.

Sadly, Spotify doesn't seem to have it. Any suggestions where to listen to a good quality version?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5094 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

This. You might also check out the Score version of Afterlife (a WDADU song) and the When Dream And Day Reunite bootleg where the band plays the whole album live with JLB on vocals.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5095 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

Sadly, Spotify doesn't seem to have it. Any suggestions where to listen to a good quality version?

Buy the CD :smiley:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5096 on: August 09, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
Yeah, you can get it on Amazon for less than ten bucks.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5097 on: August 09, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
 :facepalm: I never think of actually getting the physical copies. I am so bad at this.

Edit: ALSO HEY LOOK NEW BOOKLET ART.

https://instagram.com/dtimages

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5098 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
How BCSL of Mr. Syme  :lol

But more importantly:

GOLDMINE / DARWIN - BEHIND THE VEIL  :justjen
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Edson Wilton

• You can call me faithless.
« Reply #5099 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5100 on: August 09, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
Our favourite graphic artist, here he goes again...

I never think of actually getting the physical copies.

:o

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5101 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:45 AM »
Not to bash/discredit/whatever Mr. Syme, but that close up these models don't look that good, at least to me. Perhaps it's because they're on Instagram so the images are compressed, but the textures look blurry.

Edit: They might look a lot better when I can see the whole image. That could very easily be what's throwing me off.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:29:37 AM by Whatsername »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5102 on: August 09, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
Hmm... Interesting, I'll reserve my judgement on that art until I see the whole thing!

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5103 on: August 09, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
I never think of actually getting the physical copies.

:o

It's just something that doesn't really come to mind. Also money. Spotify is free. Buying albums isn't.  :mehlin

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5104 on: August 09, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
But...the artwork of a CD? The joy of listening and reading the booklet at the same time? Some beautiful packages like digibooks etc? And of course the look of a shelf full of CDs? I love all that and I understand that it doesn't matter to some people, or that they / you love the convenience of digital music, but to me, physical copies is a very important aspect of enjoying music :smiley:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5105 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »
^ That, except I hate digipacks.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5106 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
It's generally the money that keeps me from buying albums. I'm actually a huge fan of having the physical objects in my hands versus digital equivalents. It's just expensive.

Offline 425

« Reply #5107 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
There's definitely nothing wrong with using Spotify if that's what you prefer, but I think you'll find that most people here are big enough fans that they want the CDs as collector's items/for the booklet art/to have lossless quality of the music. Personally, when I first got into music seriously I bought stuff on iTunes but after about a year I decided I wanted to own things on CD, so I've been buying those ever since. In fact, I recently ordered CDs of several DT albums that I had only owned as digital copies before.

Again, there's nothing wrong with using Spotify IMO, but I think a lot of people here will consider that strange because they prefer to own a physical version.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5108 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »
^ That, except I hate digipacks.

Except I mentioned digibooks, which are amazing. I like digipaks as well, but they get damaged more easily, and that sucks :P

And 425's post sums the whole discussion up, basically.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5109 on: August 09, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
hmm. I'm a bit lost now. What is the difference between digipaks and digibooks? I've just assumed they were the same.