Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 114205 times)

BlackInk, jonny108, Logain Ablar and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Dream Team

Re: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2275 on: May 03, 2024, 09:51:08 AM »
Yeah, if anything, the gear talk increasing just proves that these days a musician can't make their living solely on making music. They all need side gigs. If anything, blame capitalism

For a niche genre, that’s certainly true. Basically if you don’t have songs in rotation on the radio, then you moonlight.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2277 on: May 03, 2024, 12:26:09 PM »
New update from the studio

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6hBPc8JQxM/?igsh=MWY3dGN5MGk5cW9wOA==
Very cool. They seem super pumped about the new album. Always hard to tell if that's because it's the latest thing or there's genuinely something special brewing. Either way, I'm all in! :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2278 on: May 03, 2024, 12:44:33 PM »
They also confirmed that they handled the setlist duties back to Mike!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2279 on: May 03, 2024, 12:48:32 PM »
I think there's a problem with the link.  I clicked it and got what appeared to be a bunch of guys from Duck Dynasty.

:biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #2280 on: May 03, 2024, 02:36:44 PM »

Even though I think we all expected that to happen, it's still nice to finally see it confirmed!
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2281 on: May 03, 2024, 02:46:23 PM »
I think there's a problem with the link.  I clicked it and got what appeared to be a bunch of guys from Duck Dynasty.

:biggrin:

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2282 on: May 03, 2024, 02:56:40 PM »

Huge news for me. Having seen both MP and MM lineups, one of the clear differentiators is the setlists being so much better in the MP days.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2283 on: May 03, 2024, 02:58:20 PM »
Huge news for me. Having seen both MP and MM lineups, one of the clear differentiators is the setlists being so much better in the MP days.

Other than rotating setlists, I thought JP made some excellent setlists. They were quite different and career encompassing from tour to tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #2284 on: May 03, 2024, 04:31:11 PM »
Just realized JP missed out on a great opportunity to promote some new guitars in this update 😂

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2285 on: May 03, 2024, 04:59:23 PM »
There is a mindset that any time you are in front of your audience you should be marketing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2286 on: May 03, 2024, 05:39:27 PM »
Other than rotating setlists, I thought JP made some excellent setlists. They were quite different and career encompassing from tour to tour.

I think with MP we can expect some curve balls in the setlists which it almost didn't happen with JP on charge (only Space Dye Vest, To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, Paradigm Shift... any other?), and, of course, some rotation. But I do agree with Tim, JP did an excellent job from tour to tour. I'm guessing here, but I think MM played more than 50%, maybe around 70%, of the back catalog.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2287 on: May 03, 2024, 07:28:07 PM »
Yup, I had no problem with JP’s setlists other than ignoring Six Degrees.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2288 on: May 03, 2024, 07:35:39 PM »

They've played most of Disc 2. None of Disc 1 though.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2289 on: May 03, 2024, 07:39:34 PM »
They've played most of Disc 2. None of Disc 1 though.

They played The Great Debate in 2011

They did a lot of Disc 2 on the last few tours. Felt like they were gearing up to play SDOIT (the song) in full.

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #2290 on: May 03, 2024, 07:51:12 PM »
Disc 1 of SDOIT has been heavily underrepresented live.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Online HOF

« Reply #2291 on: May 03, 2024, 10:16:09 PM »
Do they always call Myung "Johnny?"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: May 03, 2024, 11:12:07 PM »
Just realized JP missed out on a great opportunity to promote some new guitars in this update 😂

But not his whisky :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2293 on: May 04, 2024, 05:01:48 AM »

Off the top of my head, they completely ignored Octavarium after playing These Walls and Root of All Evil in the first two tours with Mangini (and I guess in the 2015 tour when they played one song from each album they must have included a track, but that's it).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2294 on: May 04, 2024, 05:06:31 AM »
The chemistry is so great. Seeing them twice this year is such an awesome horizon to look up to.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: May 04, 2024, 07:09:51 AM »

They've played disc 2 enough IMO. I'd love see anything from disc 1

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2296 on: May 04, 2024, 03:58:08 PM »
They've played disc 2 enough IMO. I'd love see anything from disc 1

Yeah that’s what I meant. Specifically BF, M, and TGD.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2297 on: May 05, 2024, 06:44:59 PM »

I think this forum should choose the setlist. I wonder what his favorite Mangini album is?  ;D

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #2298 on: May 06, 2024, 09:42:22 AM »
in support of JM starting bass tracks this week, my brother who is not a fan went to a concert with me and afterwards his comment was it looks like a bunch of guys trying to say hey look at what I can do but my jaw hit the floor watching that bass player he was unbelievable.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2299 on: May 06, 2024, 09:59:15 AM »
in support of JM starting bass tracks this week, my brother who is not a fan went to a concert with me and afterwards his comment was it looks like a bunch of guys trying to say hey look at what I can do but my jaw hit the floor watching that bass player he was unbelievable.

Welcome to the forums!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2300 on: May 06, 2024, 10:32:16 AM »

What concert are you referring to?

Offline Mrpmrprpmrp

« Reply #2301 on: May 06, 2024, 11:21:16 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you!!

What concert are you referring to?

Ironically (not the proper use of this word I know lol) the show at the beacon in NYC where portnoy was in attendance.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #2302 on: May 08, 2024, 04:02:39 PM »
Another possibility: maybe there’s a song on the new album specifically written for/dedicated to Charlie.

I ike that.
Not specifically about a song for Charlie, but the thought that all of this time while we talk about the new album, and what we want it to be like, the boys came up with ideas that we possibly couldn't think of, such as a song for Charlie.
I imagine them sitting in the studio and sharing their ideas about what they want the album to sound like, and how they want their fans to react.
So maybe JP says he wants a great ballad like TSCO, with a glorious guitar solo.
Then maybe Mike comes second saying he would like the idea the new album to begin with the closing sounds of the seagulls from TCOT, which was their last song together.
(Someone in the forum mentioned this and it was a great idea, i don't remember who it was)
James interrupts Mike and he goes like 'Hey guys, what if we released a new concept album? Is this going to be a surprise for our fans or what? '
And then they all collectively try to brainstorm ideas about what to do with the new album, and how.
Maybe someone suggested they have a guest vocalist for one song, like Ray Alder.
Someone else wanted to hire an outside producer for the album to sound fresher.
Maybe they all agreed on writing a song using weird eastern scales.
It's also a possibility that Mike brought his inspiration corner with him again.
Maybe they would have studied about a specific topic if they had decided that they want a concept album before entering the studio. Just like they did with SFaM.
For me personally these are all very intriguing details to know, as a DT fan.
I would  l-o-v-e  to be in the studio with them, to watch their new album takes form from day one.
How they interact with each other, how they explain what they want and how they decide on the direction of the new album.
I wish they give us a documentary from the studio, because i want to learn everything about DT16.
And finally, maybe Mike comes here and reads our posts about the album and smiles because we still have no clue (in JP's words) about what to expect from them..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2303 on: May 09, 2024, 06:18:10 AM »
One thing I DON'T want:  some tribute to Charlie because they feel like they "have to" because of the fans.  Whatever we get, good or bad, I hope it's organic, and it reflects what THEY want and where THEIR heads are at.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2304 on: May 09, 2024, 09:33:13 AM »
One thing I DON'T want:  some tribute to Charlie because they feel like they "have to" because of the fans.  Whatever we get, good or bad, I hope it's organic, and it reflects what THEY want and where THEIR heads are at.
I agree, and I'm sure that if they do a Charlie tribute, it will be as you suggest.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2305 on: May 09, 2024, 09:51:04 AM »

Right, organic is a key word. My hope is that when MP referred to it being time to "write another epic" it means coming up with a great melodic foundation to build it on rather than "here are some cool parts we can string together". But I'm sure during the jamming process they usually employ when writing does focus on the former at times.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2306 on: May 09, 2024, 10:27:17 AM »

And I personally don't think that at all is where their heads are at. It's cool that they stayed on good terms with Charlie but other than a standing invitation to attend shows as their guest, I don't think any of them were that close with him. Mike is possibly the exception as he stayed in relatively frequent contact but even that I wouldn't necessarily consider "close."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2307 on: May 09, 2024, 10:40:12 AM »
My comment wasn't all that clear (though I think DreamTeam got it).  The first part was about Charlie specifically; the "organic" part was about the album in general, and frankly, the tour (and setlist).  If the band is back together and feeling the energy, then I want to experience that energy.  That's all.  I saw it when John and Mike played on John's solo tour, and that's what I want to see more of. Raw emotion, raw energy, the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2308 on: May 09, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »
This is kind of why I'm hoping they don't do Metropolis Pt. 3. That would be pure fan service lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2309 on: May 09, 2024, 12:26:19 PM »
It's cool that they stayed on good terms with Charlie but other than a standing invitation to attend shows as their guest, I don't think any of them were that close with him.
Yeah, but they didn't need to be personally close to him to be hit by his death and want to make some kind of tribute. They clearly consider everyone who played in the band "DT family", and not to be grim, but from this moment now when the band/"family" has been touched by death in some way for the first time, there's a cosmically short amount of time to the point where everyone is dead and the band is a memory. It's an era of aging, death and endings and they may be thinking about it extra hard now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise