Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 28597 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 5 & 6 Up!)
« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2023, 09:57:00 AM »
Like Paul said, "it's a me thing".  And I own it.  But I've seen DT four times since he's joined, and... well... I'm just not connecting.  I just get a vibe of "look how hard I'm working here!" and that's not my thing.

Well, he's 3 feet tall and puts his cymbals into the stratosphere to make himself look like he's working that hard...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2023, 10:01:22 AM »
Like Paul said, "it's a me thing".  And I own it.  But I've seen DT four times since he's joined, and... well... I'm just not connecting.  I just get a vibe of "look how hard I'm working here!" and that's not my thing.

Well, he's 3 feet tall and puts his cymbals into the stratosphere to make himself look like he's working that hard...

And you'd think I'd relate to that!  :) :) :) :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
I don't get the sense that he's showing how hard he's working. I get the sense that what keeps him engaged and entertained WHILE drumming are things I don't connect to at all, and often involve him having to work really hard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »

I've enjoyed his live playing more than the studio stuff simply because he does look like he's having fun.  Part of my issue is that nothing since DT12 has really connected with me.  Another part is the stuff I see him post that comes across as pretentious:  "In this section, the band plays an 8-bar pattern in 4/4 that repeats 4 times, but I'm playing alternating patterns in 17/64 and 13/64 with my left foot and 13/64 and 17/64 with my right foot, all while playing blast beats at 1024 bpm on the ride cymbal."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »
Here’s how my list is shaping up in terms of who is and isn’t on the overall list. Expecting to finish with 10, which I think is the most for any of these individual artist lists yet.

25. No
24. No
23. No
22. No
21. No
20. No
19. Bill Bruford
18. Mark Zonder
17. No
16. Marco Minnemann
15. Yes
14. No
13. No
12. Alex Van Halen
11. No
10. No
9.  No
8.  Carter Beauford
7.  No
6.  No
5.  No
4.  Yes
3.  Phil Collins
2.  Yes
1.  Nick D'Virgilio

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2023, 10:54:58 AM »

I've enjoyed his live playing more than the studio stuff simply because he does look like he's having fun.  Part of my issue is that nothing since DT12 has really connected with me.  Another part is the stuff I see him post that comes across as pretentious:  "In this section, the band plays an 8-bar pattern in 4/4 that repeats 4 times, but I'm playing alternating patterns in 17/64 and 13/64 with my left foot and 13/64 and 17/64 with my right foot, all while playing blast beats at 1024 bpm on the ride cymbal."

Exactly; and I'm out at "In this section...".   :) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2023, 10:56:47 AM »

Why does that come across as pretentious?  He's just speaking DT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2023, 11:10:26 AM »
I'm with Hef. Just music speak.

I just said that in 7/4.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2023, 01:30:58 PM »

Why does that come across as pretentious?  He's just speaking DT.

Pretentious probably isn't the right word, and in his defense, he is, at heart, a teacher, so it's really not as "dig me" as it comes across.  Nevertheless....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »
Weirdly, Mangini in DT made me appreciate Portnoy more.  He's still doing lots of cool things, but it's just a bit on the mechanical side for me.  I actually really like his work on Elements of Persuasion in particular though, and he does still make my honorable mentions list.  His guest appearance on Annihilator's "Weapon X" is also a must hear (watch, actually, for a fun studio clip from the session). 

Obviously being a #1 voter of Carey I'm continually impressed with him.  I actually view him as a combination and continuation of two drummers I suspect are still to come on the list.  So many cool and unique parts, the solos on songs like "46 & 2" and "The Grudge", his incorporation of pads and percussion, he's the ultimate drummer for me.  His work in Volto! is also quite different and really underappreciated, a bit more on the jazz/fusion side of things.  My favorite two moments of his though have to be either that tom intro to "Ticks & Leeches", or the part at 6:35 in "Eulogy".  The latter was one of my favorite achievements of a part to learn to play.  It's a relatively simple concept, but the way the hat pattern syncs differently each cycle was maddening to get down.  Additionally, it's a joy to watch John Kew's covers of his parts on Youtube, which are fairly faithful to the originals. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:50:14 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2023, 01:51:53 PM »
Brann Dailor gets accused of playing "Too many fills", but the dude can play. I remember in an interview he said that he writes his parts from a lead guitar mentality, which I think shows in his playing. 1:43 to 3:50 of this video is probably my favorite playing of his.

https://youtu.be/HBqyOZdabJA?t=104

This really is a great part of the song. I should really watch more of his drum playthroughs, as I can wrap my head around what he's doing that way.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2023, 02:40:18 PM »
Weirdly, Mangini in DT made me appreciate Portnoy more.  He's still doing lots of cool things, but it's just a bit on the mechanical side for me.  I actually really like his work on Elements of Persuasion in particular though, and he does still make my honorable mentions list.  His guest appearance on Annihilator's "Weapon X" is also a must hear (watch, actually, for a fun studio clip from the session). 

Completely agree on Mangini.  I was going to post this exact thing earlier, but then I stopped for some reason.  He is a really great drummer, but a lot of it just feels very mechanical to me.  I didn't submit a list, but he would have likely just made it into my 25.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #782 on: June 01, 2023, 03:35:17 PM »

So true!  :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #783 on: June 01, 2023, 04:10:12 PM »

5 - Mike Mangini
Appeared on 18 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Dream Team)
7 Top 10 Finishes

6 - Danny Carey
Appeared on 12 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (LithoJazzoSphere, ReaperKK, The Realm)
9 Top 10 Finishes

Danny Carey - yes my number 1 and was always going to be. However, I wasn't so sure he would make this list as I don't see many Tool fans here on the forum. Also, Maynard didn't make the top vocalists list and neither did Adam Jones for top guitarists. Awesome though that Danny made it and this high. Well done to Litho and Reaper for appreciating greatness. The guy is an absolute beast behind the kit and pretty much everything he plays is magic to my ears. I highly recommend anyone who isn't even a fan of Tool to go and see them live if you can. It is a mindblowing experience.

Mike Mangini - OK, well sorry but I am just not a fan. Not sure I would have got Mangini in my top 100 favourite drummers. Obviously he is technically amazing but there is something missing for me. DT are a shell of their former selves live with him behind the kit and his drum sound of most of the albums is very ordinary. Just not my thing.

4 drummers left, 3 are very obvious and I hope the 4th is who I think it is.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #784 on: June 01, 2023, 04:21:48 PM »
I think 2 of the remaining 4 of 100% locks obviously. 1 is pretty much a given, but I'm drawing a blank on the 4th, but it could be a particular prog rock drummer who's yet to make an appearance (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Jim either).

Offline HOF

« Reply #785 on: June 01, 2023, 04:28:31 PM »
I think 2 of the remaining 4 of 100% locks obviously. 1 is pretty much a given, but I'm drawing a blank on the 4th, but it could be a particular prog rock drummer who's yet to make an appearance (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Jim either).

I doubt Jimmy Keegan makes the list.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #786 on: June 01, 2023, 04:49:05 PM »

I think 3 are very obvious. As for the 4th I am hoping it is a prog rock drummer but we will see.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #787 on: June 01, 2023, 04:53:34 PM »

I doubt Jimmy Keegan makes the list.

:lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #788 on: June 01, 2023, 05:36:48 PM »

I think 3 are very obvious. As for the 4th I am hoping it is a prog rock drummer but we will see.

3? I know 2 locks and now that Mangini is up, who am I missing?

Offline The Realm

« Reply #789 on: June 01, 2023, 06:01:15 PM »

Don't want to spotlight or spoil but maybe just google a greatest drummers list and see if that helps jog your memory.

Offline Adami

« Reply #790 on: June 01, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »
Well at this point I’m seriously starting to question if I’m gonna be in the top 5.

For shame!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #791 on: June 01, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »

I imagine that those who ranked have probably seen the Vic Firth pro-shot footage of Pneuma but if you haven't check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA

Pneuma is one of his all-time great performances (and there are many!). Amazing drummer - chops AND instantly recognizable style. He truly elevates Tool's music to a higher level.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #792 on: June 01, 2023, 06:17:22 PM »
Well at this point I’m seriously starting to question if I’m gonna be in the top 5.

For shame!

Top 25 chocolate chip cookies thread.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #793 on: June 01, 2023, 06:30:03 PM »

5 - Mike Mangini
Highest Finish: 2 (Dream Team)
7 Top 10 Finishes

6 - Danny Carey
Appeared on 12 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (LithoJazzoSphere, ReaperKK, The Realm)
9 Top 10 Finishes

Danny Carey - yes my number 1 and was always going to be. However, I wasn't so sure he would make this list as I don't see many Tool fans here on the forum. Also, Maynard didn't make the top vocalists list and neither did Adam Jones for top guitarists. Awesome though that Danny made it and this high. Well done to Litho and Reaper for appreciating greatness. The guy is an absolute beast behind the kit and pretty much everything he plays is magic to my ears. I highly recommend anyone who isn't even a fan of Tool to go and see them live if you can. It is a mindblowing experience.
There's only 1 reason Danny Carey isn't my #1 drummer and he is still to come. He is just another of those drummers that makes their drum parts sound so musical, like they are telling a story. There's only a handful of drummers out there that I've heard that can do that, with that much feel and passion.

Mangini wasn't even considered, and now it looks like I'm going to have to eat my hat... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #794 on: June 01, 2023, 06:58:29 PM »

Don't want to spotlight or spoil but maybe just google a greatest drummers list and see if that helps jog your memory.

Right. I would think three of the remaining four would be extremely obvious.  I could see someone who isn't a fan of the fourth's main band not thinking of him, but for anyone who does listen to music with him, he is a really easy and obvious choice, IMO.

This is assuming I am right about who the four are, and I am 99.9999% positive I am.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: June 01, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »
My updated standings;

25.  Lars Ulrich
24.  Gene Hoglan
23.  Cozy Powell
15.  Scott Rockenfield
10.  Bill Ward
8.  Blake Richardson
7.  Nicko McBrain
5.  Mark Zonder
2. Danny Carey
1. Brann Dailor

Nicko is a master and Fear Inoculum made me really take note of Danny and realise how fucking incredible he is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #796 on: June 01, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »

Yeah, 2 should be absolute no-brainers.  The third is always high on general drumming lists and from what I've seen has a sizeable following here.  The other is more specific to the type of forum this is and also is part of a band with a strong fanbase here. 

Offline coz

Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread!
« Reply #797 on: June 01, 2023, 09:29:49 PM »
25. Keith Moon I think this maniac will be picked
24. Dirty chance he'll make it
23. Pretty sure you'd say "who"?
22. I miss this guy.  Wish he was still with us.  Not gonna make it here. :'(
21. This weirdo won't make it.  40 years and 14 studio albums with the same original quartet+.  Impressive stuff.
20. Carter Beauford A unique cat whose style is highly revered in drumming circles.  Not sure here though.
19. Larz Huge name.  Guaranteed pick.
18. Spicy lefty.  He has a shot.
17. Martin Lopez  In 2005, a no-brainer to be on here.  Today.  Maybe?
16. Probably won't be here.  It's a crime.
15. 100% this monster's here.
14. Alex Van Halen  Brother of a legend on one of our other lists.  Won't be surprised if he makes this list.
13. Groove metal master.  Won't make the list though.
12. Another real cool cat.  A rock player with a huge jazz background.  I'm gonna say he won't be named here.
11. Stewart Copeland Classic rocker who's very likely.
10. Blake Richardson Also very likely but not a classic rocker.
9. Liked him before, but since the band's 3rd release in 93 I have loved his playing.  Not going to make the list.
8. Danny Carey He started further down my list.  But the more I thought about it, his talent and style make him absolutely unique.  Probably.
7. Nicko McBrain This forum?  Of course.
6. Nick D'Virgilio Prog dude.  Pretty sure he'll be here.
5. Brann Dailor Not sure on him.  Highly respected, but not sure how well his name is known outside the drumming community.
4. Second one on my list who's known by a nickname.  (My first draft had three).  Not going to be named here.
3. Ringo For sure.  Legend
2. I've thought mostly highly and sometimes low of this guy.  He's still my number 2 basher though.
1. The master

27. Mike Mangini
28. Phil Collins
29. Dave Lombardo
42. Bill Ward

12/22.  Yup, looking like I'll be 15/26 in the end.  If not, I'll be shocked but I won't eat my hat.

~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline Glasser

« Reply #798 on: June 01, 2023, 11:08:17 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure I know who but I'm surprised that high. If its who I think it is. Its safe to say 2 100% guaranteed. I can't wait to see the rest.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #799 on: June 02, 2023, 12:25:33 AM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure I know who but I'm surprised that high. If its who I think it is. Its safe to say 2 100% guaranteed. I can't wait to see the rest.

Really? I think the 3 obvious drummers still to come were always going to be the top 3 overall.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 3 & 4 Up!)
« Reply #800 on: June 02, 2023, 06:13:24 AM »
2/2 for me today

3 - Gavin Harrison
Highest Finish: 1 (BRGM)
15 Top 10 Finishes

Also kind of surprised that Gavin made it so high. He was number 3 on my list and is one of my favorite drummers. Amazing touch, feel, and consistent drummer. Watching the making of In Absentia it really cool to learn how few takes it took Gavin to record the drums.

4 - John Bonham
Appeared on 21 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (hefdaddy42)
11 Top 10 Finishes

Not surprised John made the list but surprised at how highly ranked he made it here. Personally I think he is my favorite part of Led Zeppelin. A bombastic player that is gone far too soon. I would've loved hearing how he developed over the years.

Offline Adami

« Reply #801 on: June 02, 2023, 06:19:57 AM »
Oh okay. Gavin was the one I wasn’t sure about. John was obvious. But glad both made it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #802 on: June 02, 2023, 06:21:42 AM »
Yep, yep, these were no-brainers for me to place very high.

Even though Gavin can drive me a little bonkers at times with his tendency to overplay live, he is still pretty damn awesome.  Anesthetize alone is a tour de force of drumming greatness.  I ranked him 4th.

Bonham I ranked 5th.  Just listen to When the Levee Breaks and The Ocean if you have any doubt as to his greatness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: June 02, 2023, 06:29:31 AM »
25   Bill Bruford (Reasonable chance, depending.)
24   No chance in hell; there are other drummers IN HIS BAND that might, though.
23   He's either going to be in someone's top ten or not on the list, so probably won't make the final.
22   No chance. I might take some crap for this one.
21   No chance; most people won't know who he is.
20   No chance.
19   No chance (part of what will possibly be the only "father/son" pair on anyone's list)
18   No chance, due to this band being a pariah around here.
17   60-40 he makes it.
16   Probably no chance, but a crying shame.  The man is a mule.
15.   Slim chance; he is arguably my vote for best drummer in his genre, though there's another guy that gets all the press.
14   One of three guys from a certain band to make my list; probably won't make the final.
13   Keith Moon (90% lock)
12   100% lock
11   Slim chance; the other guy who replaced him has a better shot.
10   Should be a 100% lock; this forum?  50-50 at best.
9   Cozy Powell (I submitted my predictions AFTER this)
8   Nicko McBrain No. 11's "other guy".   Should be 70-30 to make it.
7   Sadly, no chance. 
6   Bill Ward (Sadly, probably no chance; he's a pale shell of his former self, but some of his early live work is incendiary.)
5   Ringo Starr (SHOULD BE 100% lock.)
4   100% lock
3   John Bonham (100% lock)
2   Phil Collins (100% lock)
1   100% lock and my guess for Number One overall.

27: Carter Beauford
38: Lars Ulrich
NR: Danny Carey
NR: Stewart Copeland
NR: Nick D'Virgilio
NR: Brann Dailor
NR: Gavin Harrison
NR:  Gene Hoglan
NR: Dave Lombardo
NR: Martin Lopez
NR: Mike Mangini
NR: Marco Minneman
NR:  Blake Richardson
NR: Scott Rockenfield
NR: Alex Van Halen
NR: Mark Zonder

Bonham is the man.  It's undeniable.   Big fan.

Gavin Harrison... never even considered.  Actually kind of bummed he's this high.  I feel like there are three or four guys that deserve that spot.   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 07:07:08 AM by Stadler »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 7 & 8 Up!)
« Reply #804 on: June 02, 2023, 06:30:24 AM »
Had both, and was sure they'd be on the list.

Bonham (#21)- Absolute legend, and the biggest sounding drums in the business. Probably the only thing that kept him from being higher on my list was I'm just not a massive Zeppelin fan.

Harrison (#8)- He has the most stunning flow to his playing of pretty much every drummer on my list except maybe #18, the way he rolls from one part of the music to another is so sublime and so brilliant. To double back on Kev's statement, Anesthetize is one of my top 5 drumming songs, just a fucking masterpiece.

Well, I don't think any of us doubt the top 2, just who places where. Unlike the guitar list, I honestly don't think the house drummer is a shoe-in for the #1 spot.

25- Alex Van Halen Should be there
24- Nope
23- Mayyybeee
22- Definitely not, and a damn shame too
21- John Bonham (Lock)
20- Should make the list
19- Danny Carey (Lock)
18- They'd be on everyone's list if they heard them
17- Blake Richardson (Yeah)
16- Probably
15- Bill Bruford (Lock)
14- Might make it, definitely worthy