Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 390936 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1960 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
Don't understand why there is a dvd and a blue-ray in the package. When I don't have a br player I don't need the blue-ray, when I have one, the dvd is obsolete.

But anyway, forgot this is released now, will have to decide which format I need.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1961 on: March 27, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
Was undecided between the Earbook and separate releases. I can get the Blu and the CD's for $26 total from Amazon. The Earbook is double that. In the end, I couldn't justify double the price for bigger pictures and a DVD that I will never use.

I ordered the Blu and CD sets today. Should have them on Friday.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1962 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
Don't understand why there is a dvd and a blue-ray in the package. When I don't have a br player I don't need the blue-ray, when I have one, the dvd is obsolete.

But anyway, forgot this is released now, will have to decide which format I need.

I think having a BD and DVD is for folks who perhaps only have a blu-ray player on one tv in their house, but a DVD player on another, so having the option to view it in either room is nice? Or perhaps you bring it to a friend's place and they have one player but not the other, so then you've got options!

Either way, it's nice to have it all in one package so fans can get one video release with the CDs, and they won't have to worry about making two different sets - a CD and DVD set, and a separate CD and BD set.

Also, I got a shipping confirmation email from Mascot earlier, too, so I can't wait to get my earbook next week!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1963 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
Help me decide if I should get the earbook. I’m really interested but the US store seems to be sold out, and from EU it ends up $80+  :-[
Is it worth it?

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/ayreon-universe-2cd2dvdblu-ray-deluxe-edition

Here you go.
Thank you good sir! Any idea if their stock is signed as well? Or was that only offered through Mascot

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1964 on: March 28, 2018, 06:11:57 AM »
Help me decide if I should get the earbook. I’m really interested but the US store seems to be sold out, and from EU it ends up $80+  :-[
Is it worth it?

Here you go.
Thank you good sir! Any idea if their stock is signed as well? Or was that only offered through Mascot

No problem.  Their stock is not signed.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1965 on: March 28, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
Is it worth it?

Here you go.

No signed as goo-goo said, however I've placed a lot of rather large orders through LaserCD. They are a great retailer so if you decide to order from there be sure to at least check out any new releases and sales.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1966 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
No signed as goo-goo said, however I've placed a lot of rather large orders through LaserCD. They are a great retailer so if you decide to order from there be sure to at least check out any new releases and sales.

Absolutely! Anytime I order from them I always look over the Sales and Bargain Bin. I have picked up a bunch of things for less than $5 that I never would've purchased otherwise.

Ken runs a great site and everything is always very well packaged for shipment.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1967 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »

Absolutely! Anytime I order from them I always look over the Sales and Bargain Bin. I have picked up a bunch of things for less than $5 that I never would've purchased otherwise.

Ken runs a great site and everything is always very well packaged for shipment.

I second this and Nick's comments as well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1968 on: March 29, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
Out for delivery... I AM READY.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1969 on: March 29, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
SAME!!! I've got my weekend ready to watch this!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1970 on: March 29, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
The blu-ray is only $13 on Amazon. Ordered!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1971 on: March 29, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
It's now also available online: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ayreonuniverse
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: March 29, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
The blu-ray is only $13 on Amazon. Ordered!

Same  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1973 on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
SAME!!! I've got my weekend ready to watch this!!!

-Marc.

My set was delivered to my doorstep about 40 minutes ago...but I'm stuck at work til 8ish, then going out afterwards and won't be home til after midnight. Well, at least I know (by tracking) it made it there. Cannot wait to watch it this weekend and be in utter awe of the amazing performances!

-Marc.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1974 on: March 30, 2018, 04:24:40 AM »
Damn what a show! I'm now even more annoyed I didn't get my lazy ass down there and witness this thing live, must have been an amazing experience.

Anyway some many highlights to mention but I think my favourites so far are:

Abbey of Synn, such a cool opener and Robert nails it.
Merlin's Will
Star of Sirrah
And The Druids Turn To Stone, Damian :tup
Loser
Computer Eyes
Everybody Dies
The Eye of Ra

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1975 on: March 30, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
Turns out the US store did still have signed copies of the earbook in stock, so ordered!  :metal
Not sure why it didn’t work the other day, but MLGs website isn’t exactly known to be functional I take it  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1976 on: March 30, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
Turns out the US store did still have signed copies of the earbook in stock, so ordered!  :metal
Not sure why it didn’t work the other day, but MLGs website isn’t exactly known to be functional I take it  :lol

:tup That's awesome! Glad you were able to get one! I opened up my package last night and was surprised at how the earbook was wrapped! I don't remember if it was explicitly stated, but the surprise inside was a really nice and fun way to wrap the earbook!

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the photos inside the book are REALLY stunning! The whole package looks gorgeous!

-Marc.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1977 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
All I’m hoping is that it’s packaged better than the signed vinyl of The Source. The signature looked great, but the sticker indicating the color/limited number was stuck on the sleeve itself, not the shrink wrap. So once I was able to get the sticker off it left a sticky residue that was tough to get rid of, left a little damage in the sleeve but luckily not too bad. Either way, can’t wait to get this  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1978 on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
Mid-level Ayreom fan here, saw some clip son youtube. Looks pretty cool, though some of the camera shots and angles weren't as appealing as I've seen in other recent concert vids.

Question... why isn't Arjen playing on stage except for a song or two at the end?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1979 on: March 30, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
Question... why isn't Arjen playing on stage except for a song or two at the end?

He plays for four songs, from Castle Hall through the end.

And he hates playing live, and I think quite believes both guitarists and keyboard player are far better than he is in that setting. I'd say the only reason he played at all was because he was expected to, but I'm sure he would have been just as happy directing everything and staying off camera.

Edit: Also worth noting the songs he played live. Castle Hall and Day 11 were both played during the Star One and Stream of Passion tours, while Eye of Ra and Amazing Flight were played on the Star One tour. He kept to things he knew and has done before.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:56:08 AM by Nick »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1980 on: March 31, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
I am loving this blu ray.

And whoever this guy who is singing Dawn of a Million Souls is seriously crushing it. Hard to replace Russell Allen but this guy is coming damn close.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1981 on: March 31, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
I am loving this blu ray.

And whoever this guy who is singing Dawn of a Million Souls is seriously crushing it. Hard to replace Russell Allen but this guy is coming damn close.

Said it in the interview, but it should be repeated. I was there, pretty much everyone I talked to was sad Russell Allen wasn't there. But I don't think anyone got through that song and was still missing him. Jaycee brought the pipes and the presence, it was phenomenal.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1982 on: March 31, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1983 on: March 31, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Still waiting for this....tracking said should be here on the 3rd. Sadly I'll be in Denver for Nightwish then. Was hoping to have it so I can jam the cd on the drive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: March 31, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
And he hates playing live, and I think quite believes both guitarists and keyboard player are far better than he is in that setting. I'd say the only reason he played at all was because he was expected to, but I'm sure he would have been just as happy directing everything and staying off camera.

Interesting, thanks Nick. Again, not a huge Ayreon fan here but I would have thought some of the appeal of the show would be to see him playing, even if there are other musicians who would be considered "better."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: April 01, 2018, 03:32:09 AM »

Interesting, thanks Nick. Again, not a huge Ayreon fan here but I would have thought some of the appeal of the show would be to see him playing, even if there are other musicians who would be considered "better."

It is definitely part of the appeal of this BR.... he did not play anything on The Theater Equation.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1986 on: April 03, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »

If you want to see some serious Arjen playing, I'd suggest you check out the live dvd of Star One 'Live on Earth' from 2003. (if you can get it)  The image quality is a lot less then this new one is, though. Also, Russel Allen is on that one as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1987 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:58 AM »

If you want to see some serious Arjen playing, I'd suggest you check out the live dvd of Star One 'Live on Earth' from 2003. (if you can get it)  The image quality is a lot less then this new one is, though. Also, Russel Allen is on that one as well.

It was damned hard for me to find ... 7 years ago!  Not sure how expensive it might be to get now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1989 on: April 03, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
Damn, time to sell! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1990 on: April 03, 2018, 08:40:09 AM »
That's actually a pretty decent price.  I assume it's in euros + shipping.  I think I dropped about $40 USD.  They didn't ship to Canada, so I shipped it to a team-mate of mine in the US, and picked it up from him on my next trip down there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1991 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Yeah it's in euros and shipping is included so it's not that expensive. For comparison the Ayreon Universe package sells for 47 euros (but that's the earbook and it has an additional blueray)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1992 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
$17 for the Star One Live On Earth CD/DVD combo at Laser CD.

https://www.lasercd.com/dvd/live-earth-limited-edition-2cddvd

Arjen also performed on the live DVD from the first Stream Of Passion tour. It was him and Lori on guitar. Johan was also on bass as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1993 on: April 03, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/star-one-on-earth/1000004011659414/?promo=creator-carousel_12095423_bestsold_1000004011659414_pos2

Dutch people should order from Germany, it seems to be much cheaper there and shipping is not that much.

Anyways, Live in the Real World (Stream of Passion) and Live on Earth (Star One) are both awesome, especially the latter.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1994 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
This dvd is amazing. I really love it.

My only real complaint is that they did a very edited version of Eye of Ra which seemed sad, but with the gigantic setlist, I understand. Though I wouldn't mind having a song like Merlin's Will cut to allow for the full version. Ah well.

Also I thought it was so cool that Irene Jansen got to take the stage and introduce everyone during The Two Gates. She was insanely charming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com