Author Topic: How has your musictaste evolved over the years?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Lotion

How has your musictaste evolved over the years?
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:38 AM »
What kind of music have you been listening to from you were a kid? How has your taste changed?

This is my list

From the age of 6-11: I listened to all mainstream music such as Backstreet Boys, Aaron Carter, Westlife, Boyzone and A1
11-14: Gun's and Roses, HIM, Turbonegro, Michael Jackson, A-HA, Eminem, Dr. Dre
14-19(today): Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Seventh Wonder, The Strokes, The Rolling Stones, The Clash, Dinosaur Jr., Pink Floyd and Muse

Kosmo

Re: How has your musictaste evolved over the years?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
As a kid: Mostly pop from the 80's even though I'm a 90's kid.
Like 11-14: Mostly metal only, ranging from wuss-metal like Sonata Arctica that's still one of my favorite bands to stuff like Chimaira and such.
15-today: My mind has opened a lot. Now my playlist contains rock,metal,hip hop,jazz,pop,electronic and countless subgenres of music.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
When I was a kid I mainly listened to what my parents listened to but I remember really liking Dire Straits and Pink Floyd

14-18: lots of DT, Metallica, and other similar bands.

19 until now: My tastes started to vary greatly and shot off to many different directions. I'll listen and enjoy anything from spanish pop music to trip-hop to post rock. I find things to enjoy in almost any genre but the funny thing is I don't care to listen to any prog or metal anymore, I guess I just got burnt out on it.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
11-14
Pure grungeyness. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains. Also somewhere along the way immense love for Fat of the Land by the Prodigy.

Discovered Porcupine Tree and Tool. Fckin exhaust-listened them.

14-17
"You mean there's other good prog besides Porcupine Tree and Tool?"
Top five bands now: Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Coheed and Cambria, Anathema, Oceansize

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
A lot. Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead were my introductions to music (I still love them both), and then I went through a really long heavy metal phase. It was practically all I listened to.

In the past year or so I've branched out to a lot of different genres, with some bands coming and going, and I like to think I enjoy a little bit of many genres these days.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:53:28 AM by Ravenheart »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
Grew up a child of the 70's  So I listened to alot of Classic Rock  Zep/Who/Queen  (Aerosmith and Nugent were my favorites around this time)

80's NWOBHM toatlly changed my like ...from there it was Metal 24/7/365 (all genres of metal) this lasted well into the 90's but I found myself opening to other genres as well Motown/Prog/Goth

I find I can listen to just about anything these days and find some enjoyment in it , but I still fall back to my metal days of my late teens early 20's

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
Ages 1-12....Dad's music: ZZTop, Boston, Queen, Bob Segar, Rod Stewart, Eagles, Heart, John Lennon(solo)

Ages 13-14...Mom's music: I do my "tour" of the Beatles catalogue..and I...."get it"

Age 15-19 It starts with Triumph, then VanHalen, then Satriani......and then....Dream Theater WDADU And Sepultura ARISE and suddenly the sky falls....musical epiphany

19-now.

Prog metal
Power metal
Death
Thrash
Core
Fusion
ambient
all of the above over and over.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
I guess I'll follow the example and divide the sections into how old I was:

11-13 years old:
This was really when I started developing an interest for music at all, around ~2002.
First band I fell in love with was Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory and Meteora played huge parts in my life, and at the time I literally knew all their lyrics and songs from front to back.
Following LP, I started to explore 'similar' bands, or bands you could say weren't far from LP in terms of sound and in the nu-metal scene, bands like: KoRn, Slipknot, Disturbed and System of a Down comes to mind.

13-15 years old:
Got more into metal-music as a whole, not just nu-metal but a lot of other subgenres within the metal-tree.
I got very much into classic metal, Iron Maiden and Metallica became two of my favorite bands, and I listened to them almost on a daily basis.
Apart from the more older metal-bands, I also listened very much to metalcore, bands like Trivium and Killswitch Engage played huge parts on that front, two bands I really loved.
I also discovered melodic death metal, In Flames became one of my favorite bands, and I quickly checked out similar bands, even though not many of them clicked.
It was also in the very last part of this period that I discovered Dream Theater, a band I knew of before (heard them back in 2004 already), but when Systematic Chaos came out and got fantastic reviews, I decided to check them out for real, and fell in love with them.

15-17 years old:
Following my discovery of DT, I quickly became a prog-metal fan, and checked out some similar bands.
A lot of DT was played, but also Symphony X, and Tool, the latter being a band that had a very huge impact on my music-preferences.
I wouldn't rank Tool THAT high amongst my favorite bands, I love their last two releases but haven't been able to get into the first 2, but they had a very huge impact on me as I said.
Next huge discovery was Opeth, a band I quickly fell in love with, much thanks to the release of Watershed.
There was just something very fascinating about the combination of death metal and progressive, and this band quickly became my favorite-band.
Thanks to Mikael Åkerfeldt praising Porcupine Tree in various interviews, I checked them out and fell in love with them right from the start, the discovery of PT started the next 'phase'.

17-19 years old:
This period has pretty much been a decline from metal-music for me, even though I still love it and check it out, and still really hold some metal-bands very high, this period has been more about being affected by other styles of music.
Following the discovery of PT, I fell in love with similar bands, Anathema is a great example of this, but I also fell in love with bands like Radiohead, Agalloch, dredg, Thrice and Ulver, all being very different from each other, but all adding some pieces already missing in my music-life.
I've also gone through both Post-Rock, Electronic and Indie-phases under this period, and it has all effected me in a way that I feel much more open to new music.
I no longer dismiss music because it's a certain genre, I actually really love music that grows with time.
Last year I discovered Oceansize that became my favorite band very early on, and it's a place they still hold for me, simply fantastic band that has all the qualities I like in music.  :heart

Right now I feel very open to most types of music, my motto would be: "Good music is good music, no matter what genre", and it's something I really try to live by.
I'm always interested in finding new good music, no matter if it's progressive metal or ambient, post-rock or drum n bass.

Current top5 bands:

1. Oceansize
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Radiohead
4. Pendulum
5. Anathema

Honorable mentions to: Agalloch, Ulver, Opeth, Björk and Sigur Rós though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
1-12: Shit.
13-16: This is when I first started getting into music. Queen and Aerosmith were my two introductions to music, and during this time I was huge into classic rock. Other bands that were big during this time included the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC
16-17: Around 16 is when music shifted from something I really enjoyed to an integral part of my life. The bands that I discovered during this time remain some of my favorites. Fleetwood Mac is very sentimental and has made some of my favorite albums, Pink Floyd and Rush turned me on to a more progressive side of music, and I really started getting into the music of Elton John at this point. Other bands I got into at this time include Dave Matthews Band, Simon and Garfunkel, Parliament, Boston, and Rage Against the Machine
18: During this time I really started getting into prog music. It all started when one of my friends made me listen to Scenes from a Memory on the way back from band practice. This whole year of my life was pretty much defined by Dream Theater and Dream Theater alone. Coincidentally, after this time period I stopped caring about them. :lol But they remain an important part in my musical discovery. Other bands I stumbled across during my DT phase include The Low Anthem, Yes, Mastodon, Alanis Morissette, Iron Maiden, and Michael Jackson.
19-today: This is kind of where I am now, and i don't really know how to easily sum it up other than "Steven Wilson". His music has been a huge part of my life for almost two years now. But I've also been branching out into lots of different types of genres. Bands so far in this era include Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/Steven Wilson, The Mars Volta, Genesis, King Crimson, Meshuggah, Transatlantic, Mew, Eisley, The Pineapple Thief, The Beach Boys, Anathema, my introduction to a lot of various dub/electronic bands, and now Emilie Autumn. :D

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
Age 1 - 15: Backstreet Boys
Age 15: Dream Theater
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Lotion

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
This kills the myth! DT-Fans doesn't think DT is the only best band in the world!

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
This kills the myth! DT-Fans doesn't think DT is the only best band in the world!
You're name arouses me for some odd reason. Just thought you should know before it gets awkward.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline jsem

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
You're gonna find that on the GMD boards a lot of ppl here used to be much bigger DT fans, but the fanboyism has gradually gone away but they're still here on the forums.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
In a small nutshell:

Early life: Whatever eighties rock my older brothers listened to
6-7: Bon Jovi and Aerosmith
8-10: Nirvana
11-13: Korn, Pantera, Limp Bizkit, Black Sabbath
14 and on: Dream Theater
Later in high school/early college: Porcupine Tree, PoS, Radiohead, Muse
Early college: Art Blakey, leading into a shitload more jazz
Later college: Zappa, Beatles

And obviously I still listen to most of this stuff to some degree (well, not Bon Jovi or Limp Bizkit...) and a lot more.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Toddler - early teens: My parents' music; exclusively Old Country & Western
Early - Mid Teens: Elvis, exposed to some rock like Foreigner
Mid Teens - 30s: close-minded metal head  :biggrin: went from Scorpions to Crue to Maiden to Metallica & other thrash and on from there
36 -44: discovered DT, old prog bands, Beatles, all kinds of diverse stuff - a general mellowing out and not much metal anymore

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
Let's see:

1-6: My dad has a video from me at age 4, he's playing "Jump" on the keyboard and asks "Ryan, who sings this song?"  "David Lee Roth!"  "What band is he in?"  "Van Halen!!"  Apparently I also dug The Clash and Rick James (bitch).

7-9: Weird Al baby

9-11:  Hip-hop y'all.  Like kid-friendly early 90's stuff (MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Bel Biv Devoe, etc.)

11-15:  Early 90's grunge/alt-rock (thank you Smells Like Teen Spirit) at first, then became a full on metalhead- Metallica was #1 but I also dug the rest of the Big 4 as well as Sepultura, Danzig and Pantera (this is also when I discovered DT via the Pull Me Under video).

15-18:  Punk, Ska and Punk-Ska.  This was quite the rage in high school in the mid-nineties and yes, I had a ska band.

18-21: Punk Rock still, but also alot of Classic Rock.  Began listening to classic rock radio so I became familiar with all the standys, your Beatles, Stones, Zep, Who, etc.

21-27: Prog, Metal and Prog-Metal.  If you werent DT, Yes, Rush or any of the other bands associated with or influenced by them you could GTFO.  I was quite the prog-snob.

27-present (I'll be 31 in July):  Began my "musical renaissance," realized there were other genres out there besides prog and metal that were worth a damn, and now I listen to all kinds of shit.  Through either this board, recommendations from DT (like seeing who they brought on tour with them) and like-minded friends I started getting in to all the great bands we all talk about and love today (your PTs, your Opeths, etc.).  Also started re-visiting and enjoying bands I'd dabbled in in the past but never gave a proper chance cuz I was too prog snobby (Coheed, Radiohead, etc.)  Also started giving the stuff my wife digs a chance (DMB, lots of indie stuff) and realizing that was all great as well!  Cheers to music!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »
6-10: Rap, and a ton of it. But not all of the mainstream stuff, I listened to a good amount of classic 90's stuff, I still love N.W.A.

11 - 13: Godsmack, Metallica (the popular stuff), Disturbed, Rammstein, Tool, Slayer

14 - 15: Rush, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, Opeth, Symphony X, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, and some Death Metal like Septic Flesh (new album is amazing) and Amon Amarth.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
Before age 10: I didn't listen to too much music.

Age 10-13: Sum 41, Green Day, Blink-182, and similar bands. Those three were my favourites. From 11-13, I also listened to Eminem a bit.

Age 14-16: I started getting into metal. Megadeth was far and away my favourite band, but I also listened to Iron Maiden, Saxon, and Stratovarius quite a bit. This was when my music collection first started getting larger as I explored more and more bands and not just the radio-friendly ones.

Age 16-18: I discovered Dream Theater a few months before I turned 15 but it was around this time that they supplanted Megadeth as my favourite band. I started listening to the other metal less while exploring progressive metal and progressive rock more and more.

Age 19-Present (I'm almost 20):
My favourite genres are still progressive metal and rock, but I've expanded quite a bit into other genres like alternative rock, electronic, experimental, indie rock, jazz fusion, post-rock, and other stuff. In essence, I gave up on confining myself within genres and started appreciating a whole new world of music.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm 26 now. When I was younger I used to go through phases (first pop, then indie rock, then metal, then into prog and prog metal) but since maybe about 20 I haven't stopped liking any genres or styles. I came to the realisation that music can be great in absolutely any style, and so since then I just keep adding to what I do like and listen to. That was a really amazing turning-point in my musical life, as it's got to the stage now where my collection is very broad and diverse and so there's something to suit any mood that I'm in. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »
I'm 26 now. When I was younger I used to go through phases (first pop, then indie rock, then metal, then into prog and prog metal) but since maybe about 20 I haven't stopped liking any genres or styles. I came to the realisation that music can be great in absolutely any style, and so since then I just keep adding to what I do like and listen to. That was a really amazing turning-point in my musical life, as it's got to the stage now where my collection is very broad and diverse and so there's something to suit any mood that I'm in. :)

Excellent point!  I'd also like to add that I've never abandoned any of the bands/genres I listed in my post, just expanded on them.  There's nothing that I used to like that I'm ashamed to admit now.  I can still find merit and enjoyment in any of the artists I've liked over the years.  Yes, even Vanilla Ice ;).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
Childhood-11- Abba were the only music I really liked. I was more of a sport fanatic. Around this time I discovered KISS, in the adverts in the comics I was reading. Heard the music and loved it.

11-14- Was exposed to AC/DC, Rainbow, Maiden, UFO, Priest, Gillan and started on this road. One of my mates had older brothers who were rocker/biker types and this is where I became exposed to the music.

14-Exposed to Rush via AFTK at my mate's house. Realise AC/DC were a bit same-y...

15- Queensryche!!!

16- Read about Yngwie Malmsteen in guitar For The Practicing Musician. Checked out the RF album and fell down in worship. Instantly became obsessed with guitar, and also the violin thanks to the mighty Swede. Around this time the hair metal thing was about to explode, and I was there. I had the hair then too!

18- Musical taste fully formed and it hasn't changed at all since (25 years ago). I haven't moved away from the guitar shredder/Hair Metal/Power Metal/ Hard Rock thing. I've added newer bands to my collection-I'm not that stuck in the past, but the newer Metal sounds don't really do it for me. Wanted to emigrate to the Sunset Strip- never made it.

20- Read the review in Kerrang! of WDADU, sought out the import (via Shades Records (RIP) in London. Loved them ever since.

40- Gave a few bands I never got earlier in life (Pink Floyd, zappa, Yes, Metallica)- found some good stuff in there but wouldn't say I'm a convert. And I still don't get Genesis. And can't stand growls. And I don't like alot of the bands many DT fans love. Opeth, Devin Townsend (what was Steve Vai thinking getting him on S&R? I can't listen to it)- awful to my ears.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

Excellent point!  I'd also like to add that I've never abandoned any of the bands/genres I listed in my post, just expanded on them.  There's nothing that I used to like that I'm ashamed to admit now.  I can still find merit and enjoyment in any of the artists I've liked over the years.  Yes, even Vanilla Ice ;).
:D

I mean, there are some bands that I used to like and don't really anymore, but none of my favourites that I've ever had, and no genres or styles in general. For example I find HammerFall horrendously over the top in their cheesiness and only enjoy a handful of songs, but I still like plenty of other power metal.

But yeah, my collection is now full of all sorts of jazz, funk, classical, electronic, etc music now.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »
1-8: Whatever my parents listened to. Pantera, Metallica, System of a Down, and Pink Floyd mostly
9-13: Almost strictly metal
14-present: Lots of stuff. Mostly prog.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
I'm so jealous of the kids that were introduced to good music at an early age. I've had to find all of this stuff on my own, and most of it has been in the last 3-4 years.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
I'm so jealous of the kids that were introduced to good music at an early age. I've had to find all of this stuff on my own, and most of it has been in the last 3-4 years.
Yeah but on the plus side, that makes you more awesome than some kids who were spoonfed the music from a young age and never got to experience the joy of discovery on their own.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Yeah but on the plus side, that makes you more awesome than some kids who were spoonfed the music from a young age and never got to experience the joy of discovery on their own.

That's a great way to look at it, you british bastard.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
(Youngest) Pop rock -> Nu metal -> Metalcore -> Death metal -> Progressive metal/rock (Oldest)

It's kind of funny how logical the steps up to the most extreme metal are.  But now I prefer stuff that's easier on the ears/more relaxing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »

That's a great way to look at it, you british bastard.

Personal attack, bant.

Nah j/k I am actually British. :ariich:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
I was a pretty big DT fan like a year or two ago. Now I listen to a wider range of styles and genres. Avant-garde, electronic, etc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
:D

I guess this is kind of on topic, but I'm listening to Blackfield's Epidemic right now and liking it.

I'm not good at timelines cause I just can't remember exact dates and what happened in them, but when I was little I liked Tom Petty, what my parents listened to which was classic rock and stuff, what my older brother listened to, like MEtallica and Megadeth, although I didn't get into Megadeth fully until around 99 I think.

In Middle School, The Offspring pretty much dominated everything.

In High School, Disturbed did the same. But also, Godsmack, Adema, Puddle Of Mudd, 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park and other stuff I can't remember. At the end of High School, Fozzy introduced me to classic metal, and a comic book phase introduced me to Iced Earth.

After High School, Iced Earth was the reigning champion, along with Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Megadeth again, and other underground metal bands.

2006 onward saw Kamelot, Symphony X Nightwish and Dream Theater.

2008 saw some Testament and even a little Opeth, thanks to my band nobody likes.

2010-2011: Into Eternity and a complete 180 with Loreena McKennitt, Celine Dion and stuff that my girlfriend likes, like Bethony Joy Galeotti, Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, Missy Higgins and even a Katy Perry song.

Dream Theater have been my favorite band since 2006, but I've definitely branched out a bit to explore different stuff. I still like Symphonic Prog and Power metal, but I haven't found anything new with staying power.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I keep misreading the thread title as mustache.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
Barenaked Ladies were my first big musical love, around age 10 or so.

After that came classic rock, then classic prog rock, then modern prog, and from there it's been all over the place.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
Me too, Orcus :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
Single digit years: Whatever my parents played. Music never interested me in the slightest (besides seeing actual musical instruments like guitars and pianos and the band room at my elementary school). My parents loved Dylan, Zeppelin, all that stuff...but I don't remember ever hearing it because I was always outside playing or play Nintendo or reading a book.

Teen years (well, 10-19): Saw some pop music on the radio in the form of the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync and I liked it...at the same time, my dad would play a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and I loved that as well. I was in 6th grade at that points I think. Also some rap, the popular stuff. The came high school, and I got SOAD'd at the age of 15...whole new world of music. Same time I got introduced to P.O.D.'s Satellite and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory (3 still amazing albums all out around the same time). Music became a love at that point. Got DT'd by my manager at work with Train of Thought at the age of 18, went onto Limewire to find more DT (found "Metropolis Pt 1" and TSCO, very good finds) and also stumbled across Opeth's "Harvest" and "Deliverance", and loved those as well.

20's: Pretty steady music taste, friends would show me some bands and I would like the songs they showed me, but only knew those songs. Then I found DT.net, and then found it again as DTF and somewhere in between I got blown away by Neal Morse's ? album. Then on this site (and a little bit of 5/8) I have found a tremendous amount of music.

And I still like it all. I even can listen to those old boy bands for nostalgia because it brings me back to life with my family before crap happened, especially one BSB song about dealing with loved one dying that came out right when my grandpa died, and to whom I was very close with. But those listens are very, very few and far between. I stick with everything SOAD and onward on what I've said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
I keep misreading the thread title as mustache.

Came here to post this.

Anyway, this is guessing.  These timelines are when I discovered the bands, I still enjoy most bands today.  These are about 5% of the bands I listen to.

Under 10: Michael Jackson
10 - 14: Nirvana, Green Day, Bush, Korn, Metallica, Soundgarden
14 - 17: Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Savatage, 
            Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Tony Macalpine, Yngwie
            Malmsteen, Dio
17 - 18: Hammerfall, Edguy, Dream Evil, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Tea Partry, Sonata Arctica,
            Queensryche, Stratovarius, Incubus
18 - 20: Death, In Flames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Opeth
20 - 24: Last Tribe, Jorn, Allen/Lande, Symphony X, Kamelot, Rush, Masterplan, Y&T, Starbreaker
24 - 27: Green Carnation, Between the Buried and Me, Pain of Salvation, Redemption,   
            Overkill, Accept, UDO, Magnum, Amorphis

Something like that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:38:31 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.