Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 103410 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #805 on: March 25, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »
That's a masterpiece.  A rare 5-star album.

It's just simply incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #806 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »
bump.

from a Fan Group on FB

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.wolansky/videos/5478365765569574/

*BRAND NEW UPDATE !!
Savatage album update and behind the scenes insight from Chris Caffery. It’s real folks, the hype is real ! The fans demand made it happen , Jon has been updating the group and he sounds as every bit as hyped about it as we all are by the sounds of all this🤘.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #807 on: May 14, 2021, 02:04:26 AM »
I'm glad, but Savatage's history has taught us that "I'll believe it when I see it" is the best course of action.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #808 on: May 14, 2021, 02:29:38 AM »
If I understand that right, the "only" thing that has happended is that Jon has informed the rest of the band that there might be a new album? No talk of writing sessions, demos, booked studio time, who will play on the record etc.?

It's still better than nothing but like MirrorMask, I believe it when I hold it in my hands.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: May 14, 2021, 06:12:55 AM »
Yeah, let's see it then I'll believe it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #810 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:03 AM »
This would AWESOME news if they record/release a new album before they retire or something.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #812 on: June 11, 2021, 07:15:13 AM »
Some sort of Savatage update

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jon-oliva-has-enough-material-for-three-new-savatage-albums/

Very nice. Still not moving from my "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #813 on: June 11, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
They've been talking about "big surprises" since Savatage and TSO played at Wacken, which was nearly 6 years ago.  TSO has been working on Romanov for at least 10 years and it has yet to come out.

I love Jon, I love that he's writing music for Savatage, but these guys just don't put out studio material in a timely manner at all. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #814 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:08 AM »
It’s tough to blame them. There’s simply no profit in releasing music anymore. If you love to create music you can create it for your own enjoyment. But the push to invest money for some thing that you will never see a return on… meh
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #815 on: June 11, 2021, 09:51:50 AM »
It’s tough to blame them. There’s simply no profit in releasing music anymore. If you love to create music you can create it for your own enjoyment. But the push to invest money for some thing that you will never see a return on… meh

I'm surprised they still want to use the record model. Just release 10 songs though Bandcamp and recoup as much money as you can by doing it yourself. Pretty sure the Sava/TSO fans will buy the songs.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2021, 07:06:17 AM »
Well, some Savatage news is always good. New merch and vinyl reissues very soon.

https://www.facebook.com/savatage/
Savatage fans! If you haven't already seen we have a new website for you to check out at www.savatage.com - We have a soon to be launched all new webstore with cool new merch and are re-releasing all of the Savatage catalog on vinyl in Europe with limited edition imports being available to our US fans here via our website
First on the release schedule is a 10" Single for The Hourglass: If you want to see how amazing this turned out- click here: https://youtu.be/aEoIssHgpNc
The 10“ will be strictly limited to 2000 numbered copies worldwide. To get into second gear, a vinyl re-release of Savatage’s debut album Sirens (1983) will see the light of day August 20, and so is the follow up album The Dungeons Are Calling (1984). Both albums will be available on 180g black vinyl and limited edition coloured vinyl, all housed in beautiful gatefold jackets. The coloured vinyl variant of The Dungeons Are Calling will come with an exclusive 7” replica of the band’s 7“ single City Beneath The Surface.
US available via: www.savatage.com (We will post when pre-order is live)
Europe Pre-order:
Sirens: https://savatage.lnk.to/Sirens
The Dungeons Are Calling: https://savatage.lnk.to/dungeonscalling
Shipping begins in August... We can't wait for you to see all these amazing records!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #817 on: June 25, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »
a Handful of Rain Vinyl I would grab in a second.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #818 on: September 22, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
here's a new documentary made on YouTube some may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgusUMItWHA

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #819 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:50 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: September 23, 2021, 12:57:42 AM »
here's a new documentary made on YouTube some may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgusUMItWHA

That come up in my feed.  I'll watch that on the weekend.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #821 on: October 02, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
Jon Oliva has been arrested on DUI and cocaine possession charges. I know the man has had his substance abuse issues over the years but I hope the arrest is a big wake up call for him. He's in his 60s now this kind of stuff is even more dangerous now for his heart.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #822 on: October 02, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »
DUI coming from him, out of all people, is really hurtful.... as you said, let's hope it's a big wake up call for him, even behind the scenes we need him in this world.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: October 02, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Jon Oliva has been arrested on DUI and cocaine possession charges. I know the man has had his substance abuse issues over the years but I hope the arrest is a big wake up call for him. He's in his 60s now this kind of stuff is even more dangerous now for his heart.

Fuck.

How is he still alive?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #824 on: October 03, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »
The dungeons are calling... :|

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #825 on: October 03, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
Very detailed account of what happened. Like others have said, a DUI from him of all people, is just sad.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/savatage-legend-jon-oliva-arrested-for-dui-cocaine-possession/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: October 03, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »
"The nurses at the hospital listened.as Mr. Oliva yelled at his wife on the phone for cocaine being in his car."

:lol  that would have been the hardest part of the whole thing, telling the wife!

.138 alcohol level, Jesus!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: October 03, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: October 03, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
Fuck I knew something like that was coming.  :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #829 on: October 04, 2021, 07:06:16 AM »
It's just so sad to see him like this.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #830 on: October 04, 2021, 07:23:34 AM »
This exact scenario killed my best friend through grade school.

And there's been a time or two in my life where I've suddenly found myself in the situation where someone is barreling at me from the wrong lane. It's fucking scary.

This guy should have his licensed revoked for good.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #831 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:20 AM »
...and to think that 30 (!!) years ago today, Streets was released...

Online T-ski

« Reply #832 on: October 04, 2021, 07:52:25 AM »
It’s sad.

Jon has been through it no doubt and these events are horrible and wrong but I’m not going to pile on the guy. Just by the police report he seemed to know he messed up big time. Thankfully nobody else was affected by his choices.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: October 04, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »
It’s sad.

Jon has been through it no doubt and these events are horrible and wrong but I’m not going to pile on the guy. Just by the police report he seemed to know he messed up big time. Thankfully nobody else was affected by his choices.

For the situation he seemed to be very compliant which is something at least.

Offline Art

« Reply #834 on: October 06, 2021, 06:39:58 AM »
Oh, man that sucks  :sad:

I've heard from Chris Caffery (on videos such as his participations in Sea Of Tranquility) that him and Jon were definetely working on some new Savatage music, and I was really happy.

Plus, Jon might have his issues, but he is a really nice guy (met and talked to him briefly in a metal bar here in Brazil when they toured for the last time here - early 2000's).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #835 on: May 12, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »
Been listening to Streets all day today in Spotify.. :metal

Tomorrow Streets and Gutter are being released in vinyl. I think I will get the Streets vinyl. One of those albums that I just don't skip any track at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: May 12, 2022, 03:38:39 PM »
Been listening to Streets all day today in Spotify.. :metal

Tomorrow Streets and Gutter are being released in vinyl. I think I will get the Streets vinyl. One of those albums that I just don't skip any track at all.

Both albums made my top 50 and Streets is just one of the greatest concept albums of all time.  Incredible band.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #837 on: May 13, 2022, 12:14:34 PM »
Chris Caffery just shared a "Dungeons are calling" part 2/song he wrote on his facebook (Should be a public post even if you don't have FB) - https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCafferyMusic

Apparently Jon asked him for heavy riffs for possible Savatage music but he's adamant they aren't actively working on anything lol. I would totally take another Savatage album with Chris, Jon and others writing again.

The Dungeons are Calling...Again!
I spent the start of this day late last night cleaning up some spots on my computer drives. I’m just trying to organize my writing into folders.
As mentioned  in the video last year I had a request by the Mountain King  Jon Oliva to write some heavy riffs. I kinda took it a step further. I wrote and recorded this song. It is a part two of the old Savatage classic “The Dungeons are calling”.
It’s kinda written about how the Savatage Legions have been calling for us to do something again. Also in this case Oliva was calling! 🤣😎⛰👑😈
I mentioned this idea in some recent interviews and of course some opinionated  internet trolls had to jump on it. “I hate part two of songs”. You know the type. The ones that hate food before they try it. Then could still like it after trying it but since they said they hated it will always hate it! 🤪🤣🤭🤯
Its pretty cool though...I used a similar format but added some background vocals and twists and turns. I had to put the Oliva screech on the demo! Jon always sez I sound like his mini me. I am like yes...I’m like Jon in every way, just 1/8th his size! 🤣🤭
Here’s my lyrics for the first verse, pre chorus and chorus. Not really sure what will ever happen with this tune but many people have asked to hear it or little teases of what I’ve written for Savatage. So don’t post and say “Chris Caffery shares new Savatage song” because it’s not! As of now it’s just an idea I wrote for Oliva to hear and I’m sharing it with you! 😎🤘🏼A WRITING DEMO

Offline Grappler

« Reply #838 on: May 13, 2022, 12:21:42 PM »
That's heavy as hell!   :metal   I love the idea of them working on some old-school sounding songs like this again, as opposed to the Zak / pre-TSO era of Savatage. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #839 on: May 13, 2022, 12:53:20 PM »
IIRC, Chris has also said he has shared riffs and songs with Al Pitrelli as well besides Jon. I really hope we can get one more album out of them.