Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 513986 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1820 on: October 02, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
I interpret that as insecurity with his decision.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1821 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:36 AM »
It's kinda becoming unbearable how MP cannot cope with his own decision. He always has to say a thing to show HE was RIGHT with the hiatus thing. Move on, dude!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1822 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:53 AM »
It's kinda becoming unbearable how MP cannot cope with his own decision. He always has to say a thing to show HE was RIGHT with the hiatus thing. Move on, dude!

B.Lee
I hate to admit it, but I kinda agree with this

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1823 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Jamming some System Of A Down tonight...great stuff...see, sometimes a hiatus does indeed make the heart grow fonder...just sayin... : )
about 2 hours ago via web
And then he wonders why does he receive so much shitstorm. Dude, you're baiting the trolls!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1824 on: October 02, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
Is he moving backwards through the stages of grief? It seems he's gone from anger and reverted back to denial. Is he under the impression that he never quit now?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1825 on: October 02, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
Is he moving backwards through the stages of grief? It seems he's gone from anger and reverted back to denial. Is he under the impression that he never quit now?

Well, it seems he's really convinced himself he never did, but that he was sort of fired. I just can't imagine his reaction when the guys in DT will announce the new drummer and he will see "his" place taken.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1826 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »
Either:

Mike Mangini, the drummer of Dream Theater? Damn, I never thought you could spell "Portnoy" that wrong.

Or:

*censored* this! I'm *censored* *censored* and *censored*! *CENSORED BIG TIME*!!!
(Yeah, I just couldn't think of something more original. Sorry.)

Or it'll be just a comment that he's a sad panda.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1827 on: October 02, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
I have lost quite a bit of respect for MP since this all went down.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1828 on: October 02, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
I will say that as much as I love Mike, his whining on his site and Facebook about people picking on him for leaving DT is weak. He should know after 20 years as a musician in the public eye that fans will be fans. They pay his bills so he should shut up and let them vent, imho.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1829 on: October 02, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Well what the hell did he expect? everyone to be totally cool about it, but at the same time not mention a word about his replacement or DT without him?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1830 on: October 02, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
I will say that as much as I love Mike, his whining on his site and Facebook about people picking on him for leaving DT is weak. He should know after 20 years as a musician in the public eye that fans will be fans. They pay his bills so he should shut up and let them vent, imho.
I tend to agree with this, a bit.

Although, he must be gutted about how the comments on his page are possibly even less good natured than the average youtube comment, whereas JP's page is flooded with happy people being optimistic.

Still! Fans will be fans. They don't pay his bills any more, but he's been in the business for 25 years now, and communicated with his fanbase for a huge portion of that. He's surprised by how disappointed they all are, but I'm a bit disappointed by how surprised he is. Not entirely shocked, necessarily, but he definitely comes across as the one who's most struggling to handle it. Although he does have more to handle, he could be a bit more gentlemanly about it. Rather than wanting to change the world, he seems to be more of a person who wants the world to change around him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1831 on: October 02, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
Well, I'm not holding it against him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1832 on: October 02, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »
Oh no! Definitely not. He's one man in a difficult situation. It'd be ridiculous to expect perfection out of him at any time, let alone in what must be a fairly stressful chapter of his career - and moreso for him than for the other guys.

But it's natural to hope, and it's natural to be a smidge disappointed when stuff doesn't go so smoothly. It's nice to have him whizzing around being a superhero, and to be able to forget that he's just another guy - albeit one with an extraordinary job.

...or an extraordinary CV, anyway.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: October 02, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
Oh no! Definitely not. He's one man in a difficult situation. It'd be ridiculous to expect perfection out of him at any time, let alone in what must be a fairly stressful chapter of his career - and moreso for him than for the other guys.

But it's natural to hope, and it's natural to be a smidge disappointed when stuff doesn't go so smoothly. It's nice to have him whizzing around being a superhero, and to be able to forget that he's just another guy - albeit one with an extraordinary job.

Yeah, I just cannot join in the MP bashing. Even though I'm excited about the "new" Dream Theater. Hey, they're my favorite band. MP's been a fan's dream. He owes me nothing. Just because he "chose" to leave doesn't make him immune to feeling bad or hurt by people going "fuck 'im". No one has EVER worked harder to make their fans as happy as MP. I'm 42 years old and have been a rock fan since I was 12 (9 if you count Kiss..haha) and MP has been the most gracious and thoughtful "rock star" that I have ever experienced.

Sure, he'd do himself a favor and get off the computer, but I'm taking everything he says during this period with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's tough for him to see people being so easily dismissive of his hard work. Whether he asked for it or not, I'm cutting him a break on this.

-TAC.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1834 on: October 02, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
Lets face reality. Mike played a hand of poker with his mates. He bluffed, and they called him on it. He didn't in his wildest dreams believe this would happen, but guess what... Mike found out the world doesn't revolve around him. He wanted to be bigger then the sum of his parts and when his band objected he was thrown for a loop. Sure he is angry. He has quite an ego and its been turned upside down. He wanted to have his affair and now his future is in his hands. Mike without Dream Theater is something he doesn't want as much as the fans, and that's why he can't handle it. Mike is my favorite Dream Theater member(or was?) but his whining does not work for me. He made his choice, and this is what comes with it. Maybe he can cry on the shoulders of some Avenged fans because Dream Theater fans have a right to say what they will as fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1835 on: October 02, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
I understand that Tick, I don't really disagree with it, but my fogey-dom tells me to let it go..
And yes, he was easily hands down my favorite memeber of Dream Theater. It wasn't even close. I'm as bummed as anyone here on DTF, believe me. I AM excited for the new Dream Theater. But I am very bummed that MP will not be part of it.

But all this.."I'm losing respect" garbage..sorry, I can't go there.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1836 on: October 02, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
I understand that Tick, I don't really disagree with it, but my fogey-dom tells me to let it go..
And yes, he was easily hands down my favorite memeber of Dream Theater. It wasn't even close. I'm as bummed as anyone here on DTF, believe me. I AM excited for the new Dream Theater. But I am very bummed that MP will not be part of it.

But all this.."I'm losing respect" garbage..sorry, I can't go there.
I respect, Mike, totally. I'm just saying as a guy who is the same age he is, his dealing with this is a bit cringe worthy. I will always be a Mike fan, although not with AV7.
I'm just giving my honest opinion. Mike is just a guy, and he has feelings like anyone else. I just think he needs to temper his emotions because the world is watching him.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: October 02, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
Lets face reality. Mike played a hand of poker with his mates. He bluffed, and they called him on it. He didn't in his wildest dreams believe this would happen, but guess what... Mike found out the world doesn't revolve around him.

This is really the best analogy I've seen about this whole thing.

Offline YngVai

« Reply #1838 on: October 02, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
I'm still really on the fence about this whole issue.  When he first left, I was like "that's exactly what I was saying, you guys need to take a break and re-focus,"  but after a while, I started thinking about how maybe a lot of the newer negative aspects of their music came from him.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1839 on: October 02, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
I just don't get why he posts things like that. He knows what he is doing and than acts shocked when people call him out on it.

Like mentioned before, he is having a tough time with his decision. It also definately hurts him to see the other DT members moving on and being happy about the future.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: October 02, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »
Here's a thought: maybe he just likes all the attention.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1841 on: October 02, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
Honestly, someone close to Portnoy, whether it be his wife, another family member or close friend, needs to get in his ear and tell him to knock off the snarky comments he seems to be making every few days; they are only making him look bad, and it is like he doesn't even realize it. 

I can't say I am surprised by the way he is acting, as I have been a very outspoken critic at times over the years of Portnoy (not the musician, but the man) but it is still kind of sad to see.  By all accounts, the four remaining members of Dream Theater have all handled this with the utmost class and respect.  Unlike Mike Portnoy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: October 02, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
And your not alone there, Kev. In contrast, as someone who's defended Portnoy countless times on these forums from criticism that's come from you and posters who share your opinion, I'm basically at a loss. Portnoy has finally reached the level where I can't defend him without also defending immature behavior from whiney celebrities everywhere.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1843 on: October 02, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
He needs to write a song about this like Lindsay Lohan did. Not the same situation but equally dumb. Sorry Mike............. No offense.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1844 on: October 02, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
He needs to write a song about this like Lindsay Lohan did. Not the same situation but equally dumb. Sorry Mike............. No offense.

I'm sure he'll eventually be in a band and he'll cover Never Enough and dedicate it to DT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1845 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »

Yeah, I just cannot join in the MP bashing. Even though I'm excited about the "new" Dream Theater. Hey, they're my favorite band. MP's been a fan's dream. He owes me nothing. Just because he "chose" to leave doesn't make him immune to feeling bad or hurt by people going "fuck 'im". No one has EVER worked harder to make their fans as happy as MP. I'm 42 years old and have been a rock fan since I was 12 (9 if you count Kiss..haha) and MP has been the most gracious and thoughtful "rock star" that I have ever experienced.

Sure, he'd do himself a favor and get off the computer, but I'm taking everything he says during this period with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's tough for him to see people being so easily dismissive of his hard work. Whether he asked for it or not, I'm cutting him a break on this.

-TAC.

well said

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1846 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »
I get what you are saying, Tac. The problem is that he is the only one bitching around every time he can. Isn't that childish of him? Yet, i also get that the remaining members of DT get nothing but positive fedeback, hence MP's reaction maybe. Now, let's see how things will turn out when they announce the new drummer. Unfortunately, I expect ugly things from the man. I hope I'm wrong, though...

B.Lee

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: October 03, 2010, 05:37:41 AM »
Jamming some System Of A Down tonight...great stuff...see, sometimes a hiatus does indeed make the heart grow fonder...just sayin... : )
about 2 hours ago via web

:rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1848 on: October 03, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »

-TAC.
I'm completely with you TAC, I don't really know why people find it so hard to understand how upset he is and thus how dickish some of his comments come across as, when really he's just venting.

Also the "we pay his bills" argument is rubbish. No we don't, we buy the products because we want them, not because we want the band members to have money. By that argument, surely we pay the bills of every employee of every company we buy products from?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: October 03, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »

-TAC.
I'm completely with you TAC, I don't really know why people find it so hard to understand how upset he is and thus how dickish some of his comments come across as, when really he's just venting.

Also the "we pay his bills" argument is rubbish. No we don't, we buy the products because we want them, not because we want the band members to have money. By that argument, surely we pay the bills of every employee of every company we buy products from?
The fans are why is where he is financially. That is just a fact.
Mike is angry because the band is happy about there future. Ok, I understand that. They didn't kick him out, he left. He wanted them to put there careers on hold indefinitely and they choose not to. That makes them the bad guys? I sure don't think so.
Has anyone considered for a moment the other members of DT have feelings too? Don't you think it bothered them to see Mike taking on so many projects he was completely energized publicly about? They pay attention to what he says. They recognized he was more excited by his side work then DT. No one has really brought this perspective to the table.
They have feelings just like Mike and when he doing his thing playing huge festivals with AV7, you don't think they feel a little slighted or maybe even jealous?
The bottom line is, take into account they way they may have been feeling about Mike's extracurricular stuff and how they probably felt when he said, hey I'm not into this band right now, why doesn't everyone wait around and amuse themselves with other things until I am.
Why are they bad guys in anyone's eyes but not wanting to do that? They want Dream Theater to work in 2011. These guys are not young anymore and you can't get time back. Not to mention a year off can really loose you some of your fan base.
I am just saying to those who want to just give Mike a pass for his anger your wrong in doing so, but its your right to. Just remember though there are two sides to every story and it seems the silence in the Dream Theater camp shows me what class acts they are overall.
In closing. I am not bashing Mike, I'm offering my perspective. I still love the guy and support his career.(away from AV7, which I can't stomach, and wont)
I watched Score last night and it made me sad.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:49:00 PM by tick »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: October 03, 2010, 06:58:18 AM »
I don't really know why people find it so hard to understand how upset he is and thus how dickish some of his comments come across as, when really he's just venting.

Because he's choosing to vent via a public social networking site. Isn't he a little, uh, old for that?

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1851 on: October 03, 2010, 07:11:27 AM »

-TAC.

The fans are why is where he is financially. That is just a fact.
Mike is angry because the band is happy about there future. Ok, I understand that. They didn't kick him out, he left. He wanted them to put there careers on hold indefinitely and they choose not to. That makes them the bad guys? I sure don't think so.
Has anyone considered for a moment the other members of DT have feelings too? Don't you think it bothered them to see Mike taking on so many projects he was completely energized publicly about? They pay attention to what he says. They recognized he was more excited by his side work then DT. No one has really brought this perspective to the table.
They have feelings just like Mike and when he doing his thing playing huge festivals with AV7, you don't think they feel a little slighted or maybe even jealous?
The bottom line is, take into account they way they may have been feeling about Mike's extracurricular stuff and how they probably felt when he said, hey I'm not into this band right now, why doesn't everyone wait around and amuse themselves with other things until I am.
Why are they bad guys in anyone's eyes but not wanting to do that? They want Dream Theater to work in 2011. These guys are not young anymore and you get get time back. Not to mention a year off can really loose you some of your fan base.
I am just saying to those who want to just give Mike a pass for his anger your wrong in doing so, its your right to. Just remember though there are two sides to every story and it seems the silence in the Dream Theater camp shows me what class acts they are overall.
In closing. I am not bashing Mike, I'm offering my perspective. I still love the guy and support his career.(away from AV7, which I can't stomach, and wont)
I watched Score last night and it made me sad.

This is the most level-headed response i've read on this topic so far.

Here's my opinion - I couldn't care less that Mike is gone.

Most people will call me a lesser fan because of that. But I don't care about the average DT fan either. Most DT fans are so narrow-minded it's unbelievable. (from what i've seen on this forum, that is not really the case - a very open-minded forum) But at gigs, and in person, i've seen some truly idiotic fans who think they some how have this 'advanced' opinion on music purely because they are DT fans. It's quite annoying in fact.

The fact that DT are willing to accept a change, makes me excited to hear their new music. And I think it will be new. I thank Mike for the memories, but i've always been under the impression he had a major influence in their overall sound. And i've found DT's last 3 albums to be a little stale. (with some great songs, mind)

This is an exciting time to be a DT fan. Mike made his decision, and while I think it's an awful decision on his part, we should atleast respect that he is a human being, free to make choices. Good luck to him, and good luck to DT - who I hope have many years left making music.

As for Mike's comments. Well, i'm no psychologist, but it's obvious to me he's experiencing the gravity of his decision already. That's just the way things go in life. Actions have consequences. It's just not going to be a pretty sight when a new drummer is announced and new music is made available to the fans. I think he has too much pride to admit he made a mistake (if indeed this is truly the case) but either way, he should learn to get on with it.

How many times in our lives have we realised we've made mistakes, and simply moved on? We all go through it. Mike just probably needs to keep his mind occupied, and away from the backlash of angry DT fans.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1852 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »
Tick, like I said, I'm not really disagreeing with you. Personally, it's not my place or I'm not comfortable busting his balls.

I've seen all the tweetpics and stuff. He doesn't look all that upset to me...but my original point is that I'm cutting him some slack right now.

You know, we want our rock stars to communicate with us...until we don't like what we hear. MP's giving us all this info so we don't have to wait for Lifting Shadows Volume f##king 15!
We can't have it both ways. I love Dream Theater so for me It's not a MP vs DT thing.
For me, I can only support MP. It's the least I can do after all of these years of giving me the greatest musical ride of my old life.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1853 on: October 03, 2010, 07:39:41 AM »
I don't really know why people find it so hard to understand how upset he is and thus how dickish some of his comments come across as, when really he's just venting.

Because he's choosing to vent via a public social networking site. Isn't he a little, uh, old for that?

his postings deserve to be in the pathetic status thread... That's what pisses me off.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1854 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »
Tick, nowhere did he make the rest of the band out to be be "bad guys". Your reaction is as strong as MPs, and you don't even have anything to do with the band.

Just chill out already.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.