Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 101807 times)

Online hunnus2000

Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1540 on: November 22, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
Hunnus means he wasn't really participating with the team in the off season.  They had him on the other field while the team practiced.  Only after he signed that one year deal did he work with his teammates.

Yes, but as I said, that isn't "flaky."  There were legitimate reasons for that.

The front office WAS flaky. They could have cut him but they were hedging on his loyalty to the club and he signed an agreement far below his worth. But they kept him off the field. If he were involved in all aspects of the offseason program then SF would be in a much better position today.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1541 on: November 22, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
I think it's important to remember that SF was flaky with their QB situation this off season. Jimmy G did NOT get any participation OTA's much less training camp. He was thrust into action when Tery Lance went down and I think he's done an admirable job but their schedule is not that favorable.

BTW - look out for Washington.

Ron Rivera to me at this point is Head Coach of the Year!

On Bart and Hahn this afternoon the question was raised: "who is better, the Commanders or the Giants?".   There are a lot of people that think like you do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1542 on: November 22, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »
Hunnus means he wasn't really participating with the team in the off season.  They had him on the other field while the team practiced.  Only after he signed that one year deal did he work with his teammates.

Yes, but as I said, that isn't "flaky."  There were legitimate reasons for that.

The front office WAS flaky. They could have cut him but they were hedging on his loyalty to the club and he signed an agreement far below his worth. But they kept him off the field. If he were involved in all aspects of the offseason program then SF would be in a much better position today.

Why would they cut a player that has trade value?  Teams don't do that unless there are extenuating circumstances, like the player being a problem child that the team just needs to get rid of at all costs and cut their losses (e.g. an Antonio Brown situation).  They didn't cut him for the same reason he wasn't included in the offseason program with the starters: they (as well as Jimmy) were fully expecting a trade.  That's what teams do in that situation almost all the time.  Having been a Jimmy G. supporter from day one and a fan that has wanted him to play over Lance, I didn't like it.  But it was far from "flaky."  The decision was made to trade him, and ALL parties involved acted consistently with that stance throughout the process.  It's just that a trade never materialized. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1543 on: November 22, 2022, 02:27:16 PM »

Yeah, no one wanted to trade for him.  His injury history is the reason why. If he goes deep into the playoffs it will help them trade him next year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1544 on: November 22, 2022, 05:53:34 PM »

Using the standards you are setting here today, because they won zero rings together, the Tom Brady/Randy Moss combo was an utter and total failure.  Correct?

No.  That's a black and white standard.  There are no absolutes here; it's not like there's only two choices:  GREATEST OF ALL TIME!! or UTTER AND TOTAL FAILURE!!   Is Brady/Moss the greatest tandem of all time? NO; they did it one year, put up silly numbers, but went home in February like everyone else except for one team: losing their last game.   All I'm saying, all I've EVER said, is stop annointing Mahomes.  Why this obsession that he be recalled as the greatest of all time?  What does it matter?  Brady - and several others, Montana, Manning, etc. - did great things REGARDLESS of who was around them.  Let Mahomes be Mahomes. Let him cycle through a generation (which in the NFL is, what, five years, more or less) of players around him. A generation of coaches that are targeting him.

He's very good; he's one of the two or three best QBs in the league, and probably the guy you'd pick RIGHT NOW to build your team around. No question.  But that's enough for now.   The obsession isn't with "Brady" or "Mahomes", it's our culture's obsession with these absolute and unattainable standards.  Everything has to be "Greatest" this or "Extreme" that.  Let it play out.

Okay, but who here, specifically, has called Mahomes the greatest of all time already? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: November 23, 2022, 08:00:09 AM »

Using the standards you are setting here today, because they won zero rings together, the Tom Brady/Randy Moss combo was an utter and total failure.  Correct?

No.  That's a black and white standard.  There are no absolutes here; it's not like there's only two choices:  GREATEST OF ALL TIME!! or UTTER AND TOTAL FAILURE!!   Is Brady/Moss the greatest tandem of all time? NO; they did it one year, put up silly numbers, but went home in February like everyone else except for one team: losing their last game.   All I'm saying, all I've EVER said, is stop annointing Mahomes.  Why this obsession that he be recalled as the greatest of all time?  What does it matter?  Brady - and several others, Montana, Manning, etc. - did great things REGARDLESS of who was around them.  Let Mahomes be Mahomes. Let him cycle through a generation (which in the NFL is, what, five years, more or less) of players around him. A generation of coaches that are targeting him.

He's very good; he's one of the two or three best QBs in the league, and probably the guy you'd pick RIGHT NOW to build your team around. No question.  But that's enough for now.   The obsession isn't with "Brady" or "Mahomes", it's our culture's obsession with these absolute and unattainable standards.  Everything has to be "Greatest" this or "Extreme" that.  Let it play out.

Okay, but who here, specifically, has called Mahomes the greatest of all time already?

Many; go back through the thread here, we've recounted the examples.   Even people here are acting as if that's the case.  Even if not singularly "the greatest", even putting him in the top five or ten at this point is premature.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1546 on: November 23, 2022, 08:19:26 AM »
Mahomes is the greatest State Farm spokeperson of all time. There, I said it. Fight me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1547 on: November 23, 2022, 08:25:32 AM »
Mahomes is the greatest State Farm spokeperson of all time. There, I said it. Fight me.
And yet he's still godawful compared to Whiplash guy and Mayhem. He probably beats out Flo, can't stand the girl, but definitely not her uber-talented sidekick. The only company spokesman he surely beats out is the guy with the emu, and I'm not even sure if they're selling insurance.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1548 on: November 23, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
Mayhem is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1549 on: November 23, 2022, 08:30:03 AM »
Mayhem is awesome.
I wouldn't go that far. They're all annoying pricks. Most of them are just less annoying than Mahomes (and now Reid).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: November 23, 2022, 08:38:59 AM »
Mayhem is awesome.

Sidebar: big Dean Winters fan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: November 23, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »

Unfortunately, he's not even that.  The guy arguing with his wife at three am - "Well, she's a guy, so..."  - is better. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: November 23, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1553 on: November 23, 2022, 10:22:59 AM »
So much for Zach Wilson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35091901/sources-jets-players-told-qb-zach-wilson-start-sunday

On the one hand, getting massacred by a stout Patriots D, twice, shouldn't be how you evaluate your QB. It happens to a lot of quarterbacks. At the same time his refusal to accept any responsibility just looks terrible. Wouldn't be surprised if his teammates were calling for his head on platter.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1554 on: November 23, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »
So much for Zach Wilson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35091901/sources-jets-players-told-qb-zach-wilson-start-sunday

On the one hand, getting massacred by a stout Patriots D, twice, shouldn't be how you evaluate your QB. It happens to a lot of quarterbacks. At the same time his refusal to accept any responsibility just looks terrible. Wouldn't be surprised if his teammates were calling for his head on platter.

I watch pretty much every Jets presser, because I'm that much of a masochist.
Saleh was 2 hours late for the one on Monday, coming from team meetings. It was also there that he announced that they were "evaluating everything, including Zach".

I think it's exactly that. Saleh has done a wonderful job creating a culture in NY. Problem is, a single player seems to be above/outside that culture, and that player is Zach Wilson.

I think it helps Saleh in two ways, really. For one, it all but guarantees he'll get Year 3 - he's done wonderful things with this team, and can pin, right or wrong, all failures on the lack of a QB, instead of any issues he or his wingman LaFleur may have. Then, next year, they'll get him who he wants. I'd prefer Carr, but Saleh probably wants Jimmy G. Then, when the Jets win only 8-9 games next year, we'll be having the same conversations all over again.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1555 on: November 24, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
I sure hope that wasn't Von Miller's last play. I'd just as soon see him miss the two Patriots games, but it's sad when legends end their careers on a cart.

Good game so far.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1556 on: November 24, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
Didn't see it.  Was out on a 20-mile bike ride, got back later than planned (had to reroute because I started late and they changed the route for our local Thanksgiving morning walk/run race, so I had to alter my route unexpectedly.  Got back and started prepping some food we'll be cooking up later, and finally tuned in to find it pretty close at halftime.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1557 on: November 24, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »
Wow, too bad for Detroit.  They made some mistakes on that last drive that cost them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: November 24, 2022, 05:03:54 PM »
Wow, too bad for Detroit.  They made some mistakes on that last drive that cost them.

And the RTP was a fucking stupid penalty to make on a 3rd and 10 the previous drive.

Such a Lions way to lose.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: November 24, 2022, 07:48:30 PM »
So far, so good for the Pats.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1560 on: November 24, 2022, 07:53:41 PM »
Wow, that Madden Tribute was so much better than the two fucking shitty ass halftime shows earlier today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1561 on: November 24, 2022, 09:27:31 PM »
Jones played great until that final abortion of a drive. Taking a sack there was the worst possible thing he could do. Really, though, it was stupid penalties that killed them. Pierre Strong is lucky he's a rookie. He might not play again this season, but he's too young to cut for a bonehead mistake.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: November 25, 2022, 04:23:47 AM »
That was a huge mistake.   That conversation on the sideline with BB did not look good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1563 on: November 25, 2022, 06:27:05 AM »
Punts are something that can make me a bit anxious when watching games with a rooting interest.  I always think (for the team I am rooting for), "Don't jump offsides or don't run into the kicker."  I get "trying to make a play," but you have to be smart in that situation.

On a somewhat related note, because it also special teams, I am still baffled as to why ANY kick returner catches a kickoff in the end zone and runs it out.  Idiots.  They almost never get it back to the 25, and then you run the risk of a block in the back and all of a sudden your offense is starting off at their own 5.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1564 on: November 25, 2022, 08:56:33 AM »
I'd like to point out as well how hilariously bad Tony Dungy is at times at being an analyst. Him acting at one point last night that he knew more about situational football than Bill Belichick was straight comedy.  And he does a terrible job at hiding how much he clearly dislikes the Patriots.  He almost always picks against them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1565 on: November 25, 2022, 09:03:30 AM »
I'd like to point out as well how hilariously bad Tony Dungy is at times at being an analyst. Him acting at one point last night that he knew more about situational football than Bill Belichick was straight comedy.  And he does a terrible job at hiding how much he clearly dislikes the Patriots.  He almost always picks against them.

I didn't pick up on that at all. I thought he was quite praiseful of Belichick.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1566 on: November 27, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »
It looks like with Mike White the Jets have found, at least, their Mac Jones. Can look extremely good at times, can also look pretty bad. But he at least runs the offense instead of trying to play around it. And he has now shown to flashes in four starts that are much better than any games that Zach Wilson has put together his entire career so far.

Great win seeing the Jets take care of business and establish themselves as a still worthy contender.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: November 27, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »
Ravens:  ten straight games with ten+ point leads.  Make that eleven straight with at least a nine point lead, and yet their record falls to 7-4.  The past three years have been quite abysmal when opponents go to a hurry up offense, especially with the talent in their defensive backfield.

And yet......darnit.....their most exciting and reliable offensive weapon would have made that 67 yarder if it was about two yards shorter.  It is crazy to see Justin Tucker walk out and try a kick from that distance, and then be in semi disbelief when he comes up short (barely).

I was hoping Baltimore could go at least 10-7 and have a first round home game.  That's no longer a given.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1568 on: November 27, 2022, 09:11:41 PM »
This Packers/Eagles game is crazy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1569 on: November 27, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »
Third generation Mongo. How close to the tree did this guy fall?  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfl-576IZ8
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1570 on: November 27, 2022, 10:30:47 PM »
Mad the Packers lost again… but I’m wondering if I witnessed the beginning of the Jordan Love era. I’m
Hoping so.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1571 on: November 28, 2022, 08:48:29 AM »
Just great.  This is the face of the Ravens franchise
https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-lamar-jackson-unnecessary-headache-for-himself

As to the Jordan Love era: if so, we might see more of these pictures in the future for Nazareth fans  :D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:45:13 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1572 on: November 28, 2022, 09:16:07 AM »
And just like that, the Panthers are just one game out of first place in their division.

WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1573 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »
Bucs leading that division at 5-6.  Even more of a :wtf:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1574 on: November 28, 2022, 10:12:44 AM »
Washington is 7-5. WTF??  ???