Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 913451 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5005 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Do we know of ballads on the album? I didn't go through the thread.

No the details on the songs themselves haven't been officially revealed, so we can only speculate. But I'm sure there's at least one.

I'm thinking Behind the Veil and Along for the Ride.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5006 on: August 07, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
I'm thinking Behind the Veil and Along for the Ride.

I doubt that Behind The Veil is a ballad. I mean, it could be. But they're including the stems for Behind The Veil in the Box Set. And I don't really see why the ballad would be the one they provide stems for, and then encourage people to make remixes of.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Flurokazoo

« Reply #5007 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
On wikipedia I can see the track lengths of every track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_(album)

However, it being Wikipedia, it could be complete bogus, as I can't find a source anywhere.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5008 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Well, let's see...

1. False Awakening Suite - This is the concert opener. No way is it a ballad.
2. The Enemy Inside - Duh, we know what it sounds like.
3. The Looking Glass - Considered a "Rush-like" song, doubtful it is a ballad.
4. Enigma Machine - Maybe, but I can't really see it. This is probably the instrumental.
5. The Bigger Picture - Maybe.
6. Behind The Veil - Maybe, but unlikely due to stems.
7. Surrender To Reason - Also considered a "Rush-like" song, doubtful.
8. Along For The Ride - Maybe.
9. Illumination Theory - Lolno.

On wikipedia I can see the track lengths of every track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_(album)

However, it being Wikipedia, it could be complete bogus, as I can't find a source anywhere.

FAS was confirmed by noxon to only be 2:42. The rest of the tracklengths are correct as confirmed by him, though.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5009 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
I looked at the edit history and it seems that someone changed the length of FAS.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5010 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
I'd bet a nickel that Along For the Ride is the ballad, due to the name giving the impression as one, and it's supposed length.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5011 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
I looked at the edit history and it seems that someone changed the length of FAS.

That would be me. Just now.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5012 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Along for the Ride could easily be the ballad; it may be a little breather before the big epic.

Offline Flurokazoo

« Reply #5013 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
Wait, False Awakening Suite is a three-part song and only 2.42 in length? That's odd.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5014 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Wait, False Awakening Suite is a three-part song and only 2.42 in length? That's odd.

It's also all instrumental with no lyrics! :tup

For anyone who says this album isn't going to do anything "new" in terms of what DT has done before, this opening track is TOTALLY new in terms of being an opening instrumental, and being 3 movements while under 3 minutes long.

It's not unusual, lots of bands do multi-movement songs/suites that last 5 or less minutes. Some done long songs withOUT movements. When the track times for BC&SL were released, I expect ANTR and TCOT to have movements, but the only track on that album that did was TSF and only because it was the last part of the Twelve-Step Suite.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Flurokazoo

« Reply #5015 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
Man, I want this album now.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5016 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »
Rush did ballads. And what we've heard of the Looking Glass is pretty acoustic. Doesn't mean it's acoustic all through, but it means it'd be very wrong to rule it out.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5017 on: August 07, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Rush did ballads. And what we've heard of the Looking Glass is pretty acoustic. Doesn't mean it's acoustic all through, but it means it'd be very wrong to rule it out.

When have we heard any part of The Looking Glass? ???
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline MarioK20

« Reply #5018 on: August 07, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
I'm just happy to hear Myung has adjusted his tone a bit to make it put a little more in the mix.   He also is playing more Estring which makes it more audible.   That 6 string was probably the worst decision he ever made.   If only he could just play a simple jazz bass like Geddy.  His 1970s tone was unmatchable imho :metal sounds like he's going in a better direction though.   We shall see...

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #5019 on: August 07, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »

When have we heard any part of The Looking Glass? ???

In the studio video #3!

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5020 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
Time marker?? I DID NOT KNOW THIS

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5021 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Time marker?? I DID NOT KNOW THIS

EDIT: Wait, is it that scene where JP is playing the acoustic guitar?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5022 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Just because he played it on acoustic in the video doesn't mean the song is like that. It looked like he was outlining the chords and making sure the lyrics worked with the vocal melody.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #5023 on: August 07, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Just because he played it on acoustic in the video doesn't mean the song is like that. It looked like he was outlining the chords and making sure the lyrics worked with the vocal melody.

True, but it sure sounded like a naturally acoustic song from what we heard, vocally and instrumentally.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5024 on: August 07, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

True, but it sure sounded like a naturally acoustic song from what we heard, vocally and instrumentally.

Considering it's Dream Theater, I wouldn't count on hearing a max of 3 seconds of acoustic + vocals meaning the entire song is that way. :P Also, when was it confirmed that the song in the video is indeed The Looking Glass?

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #5025 on: August 07, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

Considering it's Dream Theater, I wouldn't count on hearing a max of 3 seconds of acoustic + vocals meaning the entire song is that way. :P Also, when was it confirmed that the song in the video is indeed The Looking Glass?

Fair enough.  :laugh: And I believe we CSI-ed the lyrics page he was holding up. Or he checked the box on the board for the lyrics for the song labeled "Looking Glass".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5026 on: August 07, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
Lots of songs on lots of albums by DT feature acoustic guitars for layering, even if they aren't blazingly obvious on the surface.  This is a tried and true JP method.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5027 on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
So the Wikipedia page for the album states the album length as 68:01. Unless someone forgot to edit back  :facepalm:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5028 on: August 07, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
Confused..
The opening 3 part suite is not a long epic, it's a 3 minute song ----> how do we know that? who's noxon?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #5029 on: August 07, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
Confused..
The opening 3 part suite is not a long epic, it's a 3 minute song ----> how do we know that? who's noxon?

Reviewer who got an advance copy.  He is also a member here and posts semi-regularly.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5030 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »

Fair enough.  :laugh: And I believe we CSI-ed the lyrics page he was holding up. Or he checked the box on the board for the lyrics for the song labeled "Looking Glass".

On the board, the songs were labeled by their working titles, not the final ones. As for the CSI filtering, that's likely how we know.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5031 on: August 07, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
Confused..

Not sure if serious.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5032 on: August 07, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
I'm thinking Along for the Ride is the instrumental.  Having no lyrics to it, it makes sense that it's the only one that kept the working title.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5033 on: August 07, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
@Gaspar: I could see the line "singing your own praise" in the LP package promo picture with my CSI eye, under the song "The Looking Glass". That line was being sung by James in the video :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5034 on: August 07, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
Prog Misconception #58: Suite =/= Epic

And by suite, it could be any song with two or more subsections/movements/parts. Just because a song is labelled as having two or more parts doesn't mean it has to be some grandiose epic that goes on for more than 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Sure, a majority of suites end up being epics in the side-length range, but there are also a lot of bands, prog or not, who write songs that are 5 or less minutes that have 2 or 3 parts within them.

I like that DT are opening the new album with a short instrumental show-opening-styled piece, and by the sound of it, it seems like it goes through 3 moods/sounds/styles/changes, enough to warrant labeling them as three distinct movements in the suite, each being around 40-60 seconds long, I'm sure. I'm excited for it! :tup

I'm thinking Along for the Ride is the instrumental.  Having no lyrics to it, it makes sense that it's the only one that kept the working title.

Highly unlikely, considering the song with the same working title was shown on the DT Progress Board as having a spot for lyrics.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5035 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Ahh, thanks for the clarification!  Too many details and I haven't been paying all that close attention.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5036 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
Ahh, thanks for the clarification!  Too many details and I haven't been paying all that close attention.

No problem. Glad to be helpful. The only instrumentals on the album were the Opening/"YARGGG" and Song 5/"The Clover", as well as the "Easter Egg" at the end of "Illumination Theory"'s track.

And given that the 7" clear vinyl single in the Box Set is the song "The Bigger Picture", I doubt that would be the instrumental.

Also, given that the stems for "Behind The Veil" are included, I would assume they wouldn't include stems for the instrumental given that the last time they gave out stems was for their first single off their last album in the form of "On The Backs Of Angels", and I think having stems for all FIVE members would be cooler to have, so I can safely predict that "Behind The Veil" won't be the instrumental.

We've also seen lyric sheets for "The Looking Glass", so clearly that cannot be the instrumental either. This leaves "Enigma Machine" and "Surrender To Reason".

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5037 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
I saw a few reviews saying Enigma Machine was the instrumental. Pretty sure they were posted here, even.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5038 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
I saw a few reviews saying Enigma Machine was the instrumental. Pretty sure they were posted here, even.

What? Where? Tell me.

If those reviews don't exist, though, I called it here, folks. Enigma Machine = instrumental.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5039 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »

What? Where? Tell me.

If those reviews don't exist, though, I called it here, folks. Enigma Machine = instrumental.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37931.0

Actually, about 109 people called it, starting July 9th. So yeah... :rollin

-Marc.