Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 913475 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The discussions in this thread are awful.

No one is holding a gun to your head to come post here...

No, not at all! But you see, I've been around here since the DT.net Train of Thought/Octavarium forum days and believe me; I've sticked around because this place has introduced me to great music and some of the discussions and topics here are either very intelligent or very funny. But just to throw in, what I mean by some of the discussions in this thread being awful is that nowadays, it appears the only thing we do is harass RoadRunner in facebook or twitter to ask them for information because people don't know how to wait for anything; the "lack of info" and "this shit's gonna be released *soon*" has created a bunch of speculations and discussions that, in my very humble opinion, are silly and it seems like some people are coming in here to pump their post counts but hey, you're right. Maybe I worded my post wrong, and for that I'm sorry.

Take me for this, there hasn't been a DT album release waiting period as chaotic as this one, and I seem to understand why. Self-titled album/Mangini composing/Instrumental/Band happier than ever/More people join the forum/etc. But I do think some of the behavior since we were all impatient with the Luna Park DVD waiting period is kind of extreme and uncalled for. Remember the posts by Over the Edge Productions? Trying to calm down impatient fans for their constant "WHY NO NEWS?!" screams, even though it wasn't their fault? That's what I mean, that is embarassing (at least in my eyes).

Thanks to them for the facts, by the way!

For what it's worth, I completely get where you are coming from.  And you are one of the most level-headed and fun posters on this forum.  But since you have been around since the Octavrium days and have seen every album release since then, just remember:  while you are right that some of the speculation and demands for information and impatience are over the top, it is like that for every single release cycle.  People are that way because they like the band, which is cool.  So even though people may go a bit too far, it's also pretty normal and understandable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The discussions in this thread are awful.

No one is holding a gun to your head to come post here...

No, not at all! But you see, I've been around here since the DT.net Train of Thought/Octavarium forum days and believe me; I've sticked around because this place has introduced me to great music and some of the discussions and topics here are either very intelligent or very funny. But just to throw in, what I mean by some of the discussions in this thread being awful is that nowadays, it appears the only thing we do is harass RoadRunner in facebook or twitter to ask them for information because people don't know how to wait for anything; the "lack of info" and "this shit's gonna be released *soon*" has created a bunch of speculations and discussions that, in my very humble opinion, are silly and it seems like some people are coming in here to pump their post counts but hey, you're right. Maybe I worded my post wrong, and for that I'm sorry.

Take me for this, there hasn't been a DT album release waiting period as chaotic as this one, and I seem to understand why. Self-titled album/Mangini composing/Instrumental/Band happier than ever/More people join the forum/etc. But I do think some of the behavior since we were all impatient with the Luna Park DVD waiting period is kind of extreme and uncalled for. Remember the posts by Over the Edge Productions? Trying to calm down impatient fans for their constant "WHY NO NEWS?!" screams, even though it wasn't their fault? That's what I mean, that is embarassing (at least in my eyes).

Thanks to them for the facts, by the way!

For what it's worth, I completely get where you are coming from.  And you are one of the most level-headed and fun posters on this forum.  But since you have been around since the Octavrium days and have seen every album release since then, just remember:  while you are right that some of the speculation and demands for information and impatience are over the top, it is like that for every single release cycle.  People are that way because they like the band, which is cool.  So even though people may go a bit too far, it's also pretty normal and understandable.

Definitely, I also can see where you're coming from and I agree.

You trained me, remember? :lalalalinc:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
So am I to gather that the False Awakening Suite is rather short and sweet (suite) and explores different moods?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
So am I to gather that the False Awakening Suite is rather short and sweet (suite) and explores different moods?

That's what it sounds like.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

I don't think so. They have IT being an epic at an estimate 20min, that leaves the rest could all be 7.5 min. Long at most. So, going by JP saying the epic is the centerpiece within a sea of shorter songs, you have the possibility of FAS being 7min. If not longer.

That all brings me to my theory of False Awakening Suite...Sleep Paralysis,  will be all Orchestra, as having a concert intro being like their recent cinematic openings is what they felt like doing, it'll all lead into Nightmare Terrors kicking off with the introduction of either JP JR or better yet JM, then the band explodes and enters. Either JLB comes in Halfway or they wait till Lucid Dreams.

The best way I can describe it is ITPOE pt.1, just add an orchestral intro like Overture.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

If you only knew the power of the dark side.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

If you only knew the power of the dark side.
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!
IT WAS SAID THAT YOU WOULD DESTROY THE RR MARKETING TEAM, NOT JOIN THEM!

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
Maybe this is misguided and has no basis.. but I don't think they would list the False Awakening Suite in three parts if it was short. Seems more likely to me that each section around 3-4 minutes each, making for a 9-12 minute opener. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bass solo - cool!

Fewer keyboard solos - we already knew this from the progress chart in studio update 1, not sure why it's a big deal.

False Awakening Suite being instrumental - JP basically confirmed this. I expect it to be a few minutes long, maybe along the lines of Overture 1928.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Am I the only one who thought that they implied that the first part of the FAS was an instrumental?
May The Force Be With You.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
But hey,

2 months to go!!!!!!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Am I the only one who thought that they implied that the first part of the FAS was an instrumental?

No, I'm with you there. Listening back to the clip, it sounds like JP says that the first part of FAS is sort of a "second instrumental". In other words, it's quite likely that the actual 'instrumental' is another song.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline aprilethereal

I don't think so. They have IT being an epic at an estimate 20min, that leaves the rest could all be 7.5 min. Long at most. So, going by JP saying the epic is the centerpiece within a sea of shorter songs, you have the possibility of FAS being 7min. If not longer.

That all brings me to my theory of False Awakening Suite...Sleep Paralysis,  will be all Orchestra, as having a concert intro being like their recent cinematic openings is what they felt like doing, it'll all lead into Nightmare Terrors kicking off with the introduction of either JP JR or better yet JM, then the band explodes and enters. Either JLB comes in Halfway or they wait till Lucid Dreams.

The best way I can describe it is ITPOE pt.1, just add an orchestral intro like Overture.

I really hope they won't do something like the SDOIT overture again :\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

I really hope they won't do something like the SDOIT overture again :\

Why not? With a real orchestra, it would be fucking amazing. The SDOIT Overture is melodic masterpiece.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Overture is great but for me it doesn't work that great as an intro for the live setup. I would expect something more cinematic in the mood of Dream is Collapsing or Psycho, something to quickly build the energy in the audience.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.

I don't think that there's going to be an orchestra intro. I imagine FAS like this:

I.Sleep Paralysis: cool keyboard effects/dark and spooky things as a build up (much like TROAE), and an explosion with metal
II.Night Terrors: maaaybe the same part as before (same riffs and stuff), but with vocals, this part would be the longest
III.Lucid Dream: more melodic part with epic solos that leads into TEI, much like ITPOE Part 1 leads into Forsaken.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Petruccinator12

1) I pretty much agree with the post above!

2) MAYBE, since there exactly two months left until the album is going to be released, we are going to get something (special) today?! On the other hand, the 3rd studio update was released just yesterday :/

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
I think the next bit of info (track lengths, single etc) will come in two weeks. Two weeks tomorrow  :corn

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
In the last video JP said: "the fun thing about that is this: what the string section is actually playing is a performance that Jordan did one night" he was referring to Illumination Theory.

Do you think it was during a live performance with audience, or just something he came up with one night at home/in the studio?

Offline Petruccinator12

In the last video JP said: "the fun thing about that is this: what the string section is actually playing is a performance that Jordan did one night"

Do you think it was during a live performance with audience, or just something he came up with one night at home/in the studio?

Good question! I don't think it it something that's "recycled".....

Offline The Stray Seed

Forgot to specify: he was referring to Illumination Theory. The string section is there.

Offline liran95

That's it.

Remember this?

So... This.

Offline aprilethereal

Why not? With a real orchestra, it would be fucking amazing. The SDOIT Overture is melodic masterpiece.

I can imagine it being better with a real orchestra istead of the artificial one on the SDOIT overture, but still, that one is waaaaay to long and I personally lose interest in it after about two minutes.

However, if they come up with something like Overture 1928 again, I'll be a very happy guy :)

Offline Petruccinator12

To be more precise: I'd be disappointed if they used something Jordan has already done long ago for what "seems" to be the album's strongest song :/

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I thought he was talking about the opener? and I think he may have been referring to Jordans explorations piece? which was also conducted by Eren Basbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEVT4rM56Q

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I think it will be more of a cross between Overture and Dream Is Collapsing  :o

(I would totally dig that)

@atmyne: Eren, not Erin. This mispelling of the name is one of his least favourite things on Earth :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I think it will be more of a cross between Overture and Dream Is Collapsing  :o

(I would totally dig that)

@atmyne: Eren, not Erin. This mispelling of the name is one of his least favourite things on Earth :D
what are you talking about? I spelled it correctly XD
Also when I first heard that transcribed midi, the first thing I thought about was Jordan's explorations. I wouldn't be suprised if you analyzed the piece enough you would be able to identify that midi part in the arrangement somewhere...

Offline The Stray Seed

I thought he was talking about the opener? and I think he may have been referring to Jordans explorations piece? which was also conducted by Eren Basbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEVT4rM56Q
I don't think it will be anything from Explorations, since it's something that's already been published.
Btw, that string part has to be super sad, if you listen to what Jordan says right after. You can find the argument we're discussing from 1:14 to 1:55 of the last In The Studio video.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
It's impossible that they used Explorations for IT. Not when Exps is the centerpiece of the upcoming Jordan Rudess solo project for which thousands of people pledged in the past few months. There may be a stylistical continuity, and moreso if Jordan was prominent in the songwriting, but the same song? No way!
- Marco

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
It's impossible that they used Explorations for IT. Not when Exps is the centerpiece of the upcoming Jordan Rudess solo project for which thousands of people pledged in the past few months. There may be a stylistical continuity, and moreso if Jordan was prominent in the songwriting, but the same song? No way!
Oh I had no idea he had planned to incorporate it into his solo work. If Jordan ever wrote something like explorations for DT (which is what I am secretly hoping :P) it would be the best thing ever.
And it wouldn't be the same thing, but rather a rearrangement that incorporates the rest of the band, and altered song length wise. Although I have to say, listening through it just now, explorations does seem to have 3 different movements to it...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Two I believe? And it's only the first to be widely available on video recordings, being that it's probably the only one easily playable with just one keyboard. And yes, I agree that a Theaterized version of a song similar to Explorations would crack the top 10 without much sweating.
- Marco

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
That's it.

Remember this?

So... This.

There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Two I believe? And it's only the first to be widely available on video recordings, being that it's probably the only one easily playable with just one keyboard. And yes, I agree that a Theaterized version of a song similar to Explorations would crack the top 10 without much sweating.
Wouldn't crack my top 10 :biggrin: I dig Explorations, but I just don't go ga-ga over it. Makes me feel like I'm missing out.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
I said Theaterized  :biggrin: (would probably crack my top 10 even as it is now, though). Maybe when you hear the ultimate recording with the hopefully good orchestra you will have a change of heart, but I'm not holding my breath :D
- Marco

Offline Full Speed

noxon over to 5/8 (think he's here too) listened to his copy. He hasn't put up any offical thoughts yet, but it seems like he didn't really like it. I forget how he felt about ADTOE.