Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 475676 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1960 on: November 02, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
My comment would be, I think the expectation, arguably even the "point", of MP plugging himself into all these different bands is that the sum will be more than its parts. That, to some degree, takes malleability so that those parts can gel with each other and take each other to places they weren't before. But, when MP just does his usual thing, it results in a "well, it's exactly what I imagined it to be when Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy play in the same band".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline majo

« Reply #1961 on: November 02, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
I must admit I quite like MP's drumming in the SoA - I only listen to tracks 1,3,4 and 8.
I don't care much about post ToT DT though, so his drumming here doesn't feel worn out to me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:53:23 PM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1962 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
Do you hold Portnoy to a different standard?

No. The reason why this came up is precisely because he is being compared to other drummers of his generation like Mangini, Donati, and Minnemann.

Do you expect every drummer to bring in a wheelbarrow of new ideas on every recording?

Of course not. But I sure would not expect everything, as in every drumming idea, he has in 2017 is traceable to 2002 (actually 1997 if I would be a jerk about it).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1963 on: November 02, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Based on the songwriting credits, can we assume that Sheehan was the second to the last member to join which is why he is credited in only three songs, and Soto is the last to join so he is not credited at all? Portnoy is quite insistent in crediting everybody involved in a jam studio session, right?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1964 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:15 PM »
Based on the songwriting credits, can we assume that Sheehan was the second to the last member to join which is why he is credited in only three songs, and Soto is the last to join so he is not credited at all? Portnoy is quite insistent in crediting everybody involved in a jam studio session, right?

Yea, they said Sheehan came in near the end once most of it was written. Soto wrote vocals though, or do you mean music? They said he wrote a good amount of the vocals, but wasn't there for any of the instrumental stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1965 on: November 02, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
They did not credit JSS for music, only.lyrics.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1966 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
They did not credit JSS for music, only.lyrics.

Oh okay yea. He helped with vocals. All the music underneath was written. Mostly be DS and RT it seems.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1967 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:14 AM »
I'll say for the Xth time that I really don't get the criticism of Mike's drumming.  I just don't comprehend it.  I mean, I get that it is more or less the same as what we've heard.  But I mean I don't get it as a criticism.  He's a drummer.  The vast majority of drummers don't change or evolve their style much over time.  And even when they do add some new things, due to the nature of the instrument, it often times isn't going to sound "new" even in those circumstances.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems to me that you either like Mike's drumming or you don't.  And if you did and you've lost interest over time, then that's really not on him, and it just is what it is.

Think about it this way. Compare the following works of MP that are several years apart:

Train of Thought
BC&SL
Psychotic Symphony

You really won't hear much of a difference in the drumming in these albums. I would contend that almost all of MP's techniques in these albums, you would pretty much hear as variations of The Glass Prison and Blind Faith. And even for those two songs, you could already trace the style in Peruvian Skies and Trial of Tears.

Now let's compare for example with Mangini. Compare Elements of Persuasion and ADTOE. The snare and bass technique plus the lefty to righty shifts are retained but the difference in the orchestration is substantial. ADTOE is really MM's first time to showcase how he can support so many instruments at once.

But it doesn't stop there. Compare ADTOE with DT12. The difference again is susbstantial. You now hear for the first time those drum fills that use almost the whole kit. Then there are new polyrhythm combinations, most prominent in IT and Enigma Machine. And most important new technique is MM using two hi-hats or two rides at the same time, which are most prominent in TLG instrumental, in STR first stanza, and in the IT first stanza and chorus. He would incorporate that technique in The Astonishing and in the current IW&B tour, most noticeable in Take The Time.

But it still doesn't stop there. Compare DT12 with TA. SwingJazz blastebeats in Thee Days. Simultaneous snare rolls in Astonishing. Playing the ride with one hand while doing a melodic tom pattern with the other in Dystopian Overture. Then the whole The Walking Shadow. Those are things we haven't heard before.

I could do the same thing with Virgil Donati and Marco Minnemann. But the point is, Portnoy is a talented drummer but he really stopped growing with SDOIT. After that, he is just recombining old stuff. Still fun to play, but if you're a drummer, everything would really be familiar.

But some of that isn't apples to apples.  I'm not a drummer, but since it was widely reported that the level of contribution from Mangini in crafting the parts on ADTOE and 12 were very different, I'm not sure the "differences" are solely attributable to Mangini's creative superiority. 

And at the end of the day, to what end?   I sat in the theater for The Astonishing first waiting for intermission to get a beer, then waiting to see if we were getting anything special for the encore.  I sat in TSOAD with tears in my eyes watching every note, hearing every word.    I watched every minute of Shattered Fortress, watching each moment those musicians took.   The point here isn't to downplay the drumming - I get that this discussion is about that, not the music itself - but it is to say that "dual handed reverse paradiddles in 16/13 time played in conjunction with blastbeats in 9/12 time" isn't the only way to further the craft or be creative.   It's also a fair statement to say that songs like Kayla, The Storm, Stranger In Your Soul, Regret, and Momentum resonate differently than, say, Light Fuse and Get Away, and I think it's fair to say that at least some of that is attributable to Portnoy being a better drummer. 

Some of this is perhaps colored by the fact that I just saw Yngwie Malmsteen for the first time the other night, because he's sort of the same way for me, but as for "feel", who knows who plays with more feel?  All I know is that FOR ME, Portnoy can play 16/13 and make it feel to me like 4/4, Mangini plays 4/4 and makes it feel to me like 16/13.  The others in my drumming Mt. Rushmore - Peart, Collins, Bonham - do something similar.   That's how the great ones roll; to this day I hear drummers say how it's hard to play things like "Rock And Roll" and capture it exactly right.

That's not really a fair comparison either though as you clearly aren't a fan of TA and therefore it was likely that you were not going to be into the concert, not sure this can be put purely on Mangini as I saw that show and his drumming was out of this world, thought he was the best thing about it and I'm not a drummer.

Neal Morse music is emotionally charged and often brings a tear my eye so yeah, that show would have been great (again, not purely due to Mike Portnoy though) and the Shattered Fortress show was always going to be special as it was Mike coming back and playing DT songs again.

Basically then you are comparing two emotionally charged shows consisting of material that you love with a concert of material you dislike and this is supposed to be evidence that one is a better drummer than the other?

Clearly Mike Portnoy is an all time great drummer, you don't win the plaudits and awards he has if that is not the case.  He is also a hugely technical drummer, those trying to suggest Mangini is a technical player and Portnoy is a feel player are not seeing the full picture.  They are both OTT flashy drummers, Portnoy is probably the poster boy for ridiculous technical drumming.  My friend, who is a drummer, always refers to Mike Portnoy as the Yngwie Malmsteen of drumming, huge ego, huge show off rather than playing for the song.  When he heard TA, he said immediately you could tell it wasn't MP as the drumming was much more restrained.  I also remember, when Therapy? were auditioning drummers, them commenting that a load of people were coming in with these massive kits thinking they were Mike Portnoy.  He is known as a technical monster drummer, not a feel player.

I personally have always enjoyed MP's playing and his live presence on stage, he is a show off but that's always been part of DT's appeal, they can all play to an extraordinary level and they're going to show just how good they are.  I don't totally buy into the Yngwie comment and think he is more musical than some give him credit for.  His drumming in some of the epic DT and NM moments is just sublime and totally adds to those moments with these explosive fills. 

I think it is true that he has stopped evolving, he now has his box of tricks and uses them as he sees fit, he admits that he doesn't practice anymore, doesn't do clinics anymore and that's absolutely fine, why should he when he plays in so many bands which must put a strain on his ageing limbs as it is.  He's earned the right after so many years to just have fun playing drums and use his experience rather than try to learn new things.  Also, at the end of the day, he's just the drummer, no matter how inventive and clever the drumming is, it will not have a huge effect on the song, I've never heard of a bad song saved by great drumming!

It has been nice to hear some new things on recent DT albums but not sure how much of that is because I'm not familiar with Mangini's other work or because he is doing new stuff.  There are certain moments when Mangini is a little too restrained for me in some of the epic moments and I miss MP exploding all over it.  There are other times though when he blows my mind with some incredible technical super speed drumming.  Seeing him perform two drum rolls simultaneously with his two hands live was just jaw dropping as I never realised on the record that it was happening.

They are both great drummers, I don't think Mangini should be derided because he does innovative technical things and likes to explain them in detail (like the teacher that he is) and don't think Mike should be derided for sticking to what he knows after 20 odd years of kicking everyone's ass. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1968 on: November 03, 2017, 08:45:29 AM »

To me, there is a big difference between being a songwriter and a collaborator. 

A songwriter is someone who can go into room by themselves and write a whole song (vocal melodies, arrangement, music, etc.).

A collaborator is someone who can contribute to the writing of a song, but doesn't have the capability to write songs all by themselves.

For all of his writing credits over the years, I think it's clear that Portnoy is a collaborator, not a songwriter.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1969 on: November 03, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
My understanding is that he can compose a song on his own, and that he has composed songs or parts of songs through the years--but that he is most commonly a "collaborator," as you use the term.  Just clarifying that he can and does "write" at times, although that appears to be the minority.  And that of course makes sense since his primary instrument is not a compositional instrument.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1970 on: November 03, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
"They are both great drummers, I don't think Mangini should be derided because he does innovative technical things and likes to explain them in detail (like the teacher that he is) and don't think Mike should be derided for sticking to what he knows after 20 odd years of kicking everyone's ass."

Good point. MP was one of the leaders and innovators of Prog drumming of the 90's. It's not that he is worse it's that he stayed still while others such as Mangini, Virgil, Gavin Harrison, etc shot past him. It's like today's athletes being faster and stronger. I think maybe I expect too much of him. I think to be fair it's his talking and ego that has me expecting more though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1971 on: November 03, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
Alright, so I managed to answer my own question about how well the album is doing.

Psychotic Symphony, two weeks in, has debuted at 37 on the Billboard Charts.
https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

So much for competing with DT.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1972 on: November 03, 2017, 10:27:58 AM »
How DT did on Billboard and how Adrenaline Mob rather than Flying Colors or Winery Dogs did? just to get a better understanding.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1973 on: November 03, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
[quote author=bill1971 link=topic=51084.msg2373341#msg2

Good point. MP was one of the leaders and innovators of Prog drumming of the 90's. It's not that he is worse it's that he stayed still while others such as Mangini, Virgil, Gavin Harrison, etc shot past him. It's like today's athletes being faster and stronger. I think maybe I expect too much of him. I think to be fair it's his talking and ego that has me expecting more though.
[/quote]
 In what ways have they shot passed him? After listening carefully to his drumming on SOA, I don't any of those guys have exceeded his drumming..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1974 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
Alright, so I managed to answer my own question about how well the album is doing.

Huh, so what was that nonsense a few days ago about the album being #147 in the charts?

#37 is actually not bad for a brand new project.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1975 on: November 03, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

Huh, so what was that nonsense a few days ago about the album being #147 in the charts?

Well it wasn't nonsense in the sense that it was at 147. I saw it with my own eyes. I have no idea how to explain this discrepancy though.

#37 is about what I expected for this new project. That's why 147 was such a shock.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1976 on: November 03, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
It could very well be that #37 is how they charted in terms of physical copies.  #147 is probably with physical copies and streaming services.  I see Trivium at #7 from this link https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales, but they ended up #22-23 with streaming services included (which does counts as the Billboard 200).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1977 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »

Well it wasn't nonsense in the sense that it was at 147. I saw it with my own eyes. I have no idea how to explain this discrepancy though.

#37 is about what I expected for this new project. That's why 147 was such a shock.
Gone back to that part of the thread and can't see a link, just someone stating that it was the case. Weird.

I don't know that I had a very specific expectation, but this is probably higher than I was thinking. Not that first week sales really matter, in my opinion.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1978 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
It could very well be that #37 is how they charted in terms of physical copies.  #147 is probably with physical copies and streaming services.  I see Trivium at #7 from this link https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales, but they ended up #22-23 with streaming services included (which does counts as the Billboard 200).
OK you might be right. Seems to be a difference between:

Top Albums Sales: https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

and

Billboard 200: https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1979 on: November 03, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
OK you might be right. Seems to be a difference between:

Top Albums Sales: https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

and

Billboard 200: https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

Yeah I think Anguyen is exactly right. One list takes into account streaming and one doesn't.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1980 on: November 03, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
So does that mean they are relatively successful with physical copies but not when it comes to streaming?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1981 on: November 03, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
So does that mean they are relatively successful with physical copies but not when it comes to streaming?

I would imagine these days the most successful mainstream artists are getting streams a lot more than physical purchases, so it doesn't surprise me to see them drop way down when it includes streaming. I've been a Spotify user for years but it still impresses me when I see songs with upwards of 56 million plays or more.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1982 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Not necessarily.  I think it's just that so many people stream nowadays in comparison to buying physical albums that their lack of big sales numbers is just more apparent when you take streaming into account because you get a much larger segment of the buying public to compare it to.  If SoA sells 1,000 physical copies compared to Pink selling 10,000 this week, that's a big discrepancy.  But if you take streaming into account and the numbers are 2,000 to 100,000, it's a much bigger gap.  It doesn't mean they are more successful at selling physical albums.  It means you have a larger sample size.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1983 on: November 03, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »

Not necessarily.  I think it's just that so many people stream nowadays in comparison to buying physical albums that their lack of big sales numbers is just more apparent when you take streaming into account because you get a much larger segment of the buying public to compare it to.  If SoA sells 1,000 physical copies compared to Pink selling 10,000 this week, that's a big discrepancy.  But if you take streaming into account and the numbers are 2,000 to 100,000, it's a much bigger gap.  It doesn't mean they are more successful at selling physical albums.  It means you have a larger sample size.

That could be the reason, sounds logical. I still haven't listened to the album (except for the two "singles", which i didn't care for and God of the Sun, which was ok and have some cool moments), maybe someday I will.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: November 03, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

Also, there's been a trend with mainstream artists where people don't care for the album, just the 3 or 4 songs that get played on the radio which is what people stream and what boosts the numbers significantly. There's also the fact that songs by more mainstream artists will show up more frequently in the default playlists in spotify, google music, etc so that also boosts their number.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1985 on: November 03, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »

Also, there's been a trend with mainstream artists where people don't care for the album, just the 3 or 4 songs that get played on the radio which is what people stream and what boosts the numbers significantly. There's also the fact that songs by more mainstream artists will show up more frequently in the default playlists in spotify, google music, etc so that also boosts their number.

Didn't think of it that way. I was surprised to see a lot of old artists still charting but if it's as easy as clicking a button it makes more sense.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1986 on: November 03, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
Skeever, ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-was-miserable-playing-tiny-little-clubs-with-adrenaline-mob/

Psychotic Symphony" was released October 20 by InsideOut Music. It sold around 5,200 copies in the United States in its first week of release [...] In contrast, "Hot Streak", the second album by THE WINERY DOGS, debuted at No. 30 on the Billboard 200 in 2015 after shifting 13,000 copies during its week of release
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1987 on: November 03, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »

Didn't think of it that way. I was surprised to see a lot of old artists still charting but if it's as easy as clicking a button it makes more sense.

Absolutely, I will be out to eat or at happy hour and hear a song I remember liking then open my Amazon music app and within minutes it will be in my possession.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: November 03, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
Can't stop spinning this masterpiece. Exaclty what I was hoping for and still somehow exceeded my expectations.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1989 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1990 on: November 03, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Winery Dogs was pushed pretty hard by Eddie Trunk. Probably didn't make the difference of 8,000 copies but I'm sure it helped. In general the album was better promoted I thought. I'm still not really sure who the audience of SoA was supposed to be.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1991 on: November 03, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Saturation is a generic problem to the music business right now anyhow. There's so much more music available now due to the ease of distribution, that there is a huge difficulty of getting any traction. And since the income for any album release not in the top 10 of the charts for several weeks is most likely not even recouperating the cost of production, bands have to tour much more nowadays than they ever did before, with new ways to source income (like those VIP packages and extensive merchandise "special items". So while a single artist on himself might not saturate the market, the amount of concerts and releases OVERALL is just saturating the market. So if you're "niche", as most of the projects MP is involved in is, you're not gonna get as much attention anymore as there's so much other stuff clamoring for that same attention. I remember MP complaining that people weren't responding to TSOAD in a way that reflected on sales and concert tickets... I think he should be glad for any attention at this point because his fanbase isn't getting younger... Which is also why I'm surprised that from day ONE his way of dealing with SOA stuff has been alienating and pissing off potential fans. At this point he should work to get every fan on board he can.

The bigger picture...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1992 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
I'll say for the Xth time that I really don't get the criticism of Mike's drumming.  I just don't comprehend it.  I mean, I get that it is more or less the same as what we've heard.  But I mean I don't get it as a criticism.  He's a drummer.  The vast majority of drummers don't change or evolve their style much over time.  And even when they do add some new things, due to the nature of the instrument, it often times isn't going to sound "new" even in those circumstances.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems to me that you either like Mike's drumming or you don't.  And if you did and you've lost interest over time, then that's really not on him, and it just is what it is.

Exactly,

What you see/hear is what you get and he's unapologetic about it.

Doesn't bother me because it's only part of the equation.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1993 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQuuLoe0rc&sns=em
it'll be live in a few minutes

Thanks for sharing this...it was really cool!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1994 on: November 03, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »
It's a fair criticism of MP.  He should be innovating sounds, styles, techniques on every release.  Sounding the same every time is not acceptable at this level of Prog.  Look at the threads lambasting John Myung for the same sound every album.....oh wait.

In a perfect world, maybe....yeah.

He has no interest in doing that. So you have the choice to accept him for what he does or don't. By now you should know what you're getting. It either works for you or it doesn't.