Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999454 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2590 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
Thought of the day-- A Nightmare to Remember kicks Illumination Theory's ass.
Factual.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2591 on: December 17, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
I also prefer A Nightmare To Remember.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2592 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
Here's mine.

My gut instinct (which correctly predicted major trouble within DT when MP made public comments about JLB) is sensing that JR is
not feeling 'driven' or 'fulfilled' within DT and that it won't be long before he moves along. I think the $$ is very good and provides
a good quality of life, but the type of music DT is creating is not meshing with the type of music he is passionate about. I see one
tour, maybe 2 and depending on what the next studio album turns out to be...that DT13 may be his last.

Bite your tongue.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2593 on: December 17, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
Here's mine.

My gut instinct (which correctly predicted major trouble within DT when MP made public comments about JLB) is sensing that JR is
not feeling 'driven' or 'fulfilled' within DT and that it won't be long before he moves along. I think the $$ is very good and provides
a good quality of life, but the type of music DT is creating is not meshing with the type of music he is passionate about. I see one
tour, maybe 2 and depending on what the next studio album turns out to be...that DT13 may be his last.

That´s an interesting thought...while I´m not sure if he´ll ever quit, I agree that it´s hard to say Jordan looks 100% fulfilled with their recent output.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2594 on: December 17, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »

I think they're both great, although I think I'd maybe give the slight edge to ANTR. Maybe not, I don't know!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mabowe

« Reply #2595 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
I think MP has orchestrated this whole thing, he once said that mangini would be the only one that could have replaced him.  DT have done there thing, and so has MP, he's basically having his five year hiatus. MM is used to being a hired gun and can clearly make a living when he is indeed replaced once again by MP. The notoriety that MM will get from the DT thing will (has) thrown him into the stratosphere of drumming. So MM will have that. We are being fed a shit ton of DT related stuff right now, SR, DT, LALP, JR solo stuff, LMR, and a possible JP solo album.  So after all that my controversial opinion on DT, is that .....they will be taking a break and the the next incarnation of the band will include MP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2596 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »

.....no

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2597 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
If I recall correctly, Myung had spoken about planning on writing more lyrics even before Portnoy left, so I don't think there was a direct correlation there.

Yep, I recall that too. Also, without MP writing lyrics, it was almost necessary for him to step up and help out, because JP is responsible for the bulk of the lyrics now.

And yet, JLB's lyrics are still being rejected.

Source?  From what I've read, he felt that he'd written enough lyrics for his solo album that he didn't feel the need to write anything for DTDT. 

Thank god JLB doesn't write many lyrics. DT has never really been consistent in the lyric department but JLB lyrics make me cringe, his solo albums suffer because of the lyrical content IMO.

He lyrics are not as beautifully poetic as JM's or as deep and dark as KM's, but he isn't horrible.  Vacant, Disappear, Blind Faith, and Far From Heaven are really good. FFH hits home pretty hard so I can listen to those words over and over. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2598 on: December 17, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
Also, at least half the lyrics on JLB's solo albums are written by Guillory.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2599 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
I think MP has orchestrated this whole thing, he once said that mangini would be the only one that could have replaced him.  DT have done there thing, and so has MP, he's basically having his five year hiatus. MM is used to being a hired gun and can clearly make a living when he is indeed replaced once again by MP. The notoriety that MM will get from the DT thing will (has) thrown him into the stratosphere of drumming. So MM will have that. We are being fed a shit ton of DT related stuff right now, SR, DT, LALP, JR solo stuff, LMR, and a possible JP solo album.  So after all that my controversial opinion on DT, is that .....they will be taking a break and the the next incarnation of the band will include MP.

I personally believe that MM was put up for the job by the NSA.  MM is a government shill whose primary job is to find out whether JM (who has been a person of interest to the CIA for several decades) has any terrorist sympathies.  Once that is figured out, MM will fake his own death and assume a new identity as a gas station attendant in Alabama, at which point MP will re-join DT.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2600 on: December 17, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »

I personally believe that MM was put up for the job by the NSA.  MM is a government shill whose primary job is to find out whether JM (who has been a person of interest to the CIA for several decades) has any terrorist sympathies.  Once that is figured out, MM will fake his own death and assume a new identity as a gas station attendant in Alabama, at which point MP will re-join DT.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Obviously it was the freemasons who put him up to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2601 on: December 17, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »

Did you watch that on a Michael Moore documentary?

« Reply #2602 on: December 17, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
That´s an interesting thought...while I´m not sure if he´ll ever quit, I agree that it´s hard to say Jordan looks 100% fulfilled with their recent output.

Yeah, but he seems to be very preoccupied with his App business, plus he seems to be really into exploring new sounds and things like that when it comes to DT. And he's been involved in side projects and writing all sorts of orchestral and piano music and putting on concerts etc. So I'm pretty sure that all in all, he's pretty fulfilled as an artist. So there should be no reason for him to quit DT.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2603 on: December 17, 2013, 09:45:13 PM »

You dumbasses. Mike Portnoy died three years ago from overexhaustion from playing a show at the un-airconditioned Worcester Palladium. (Anyone at that show will understand what I mean.) They found a homeless guy, died his beard blue, and passed him off as MP, hence the simpler drumming since the DT departure. DT stole a robot from the Pearl labs and passed him off as the new drummer.

Ask me about when KM got his face badly beaten and then lost all his hair in a fire. It was dry until he hit a swimming pool.

I need to go to bed.

:neverusethis:
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2604 on: December 17, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »
I don't really enjoy, appreciate, or fully understand some of JRs extended solo "atmospheric" type pieces in the middle of songs.  I am trying to think if we have many in the last two, but I am thinking of Octavarium as well as a song or to on BCSL at least.  They are parts that I'd just as soon skip over as I feel it doesn't advance the music (though I do appreciate when it's over). 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2605 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Why do I always miss all the amazing posts in this thread?  :rollin
JR is actually Kevin Moore from the not-so-distant future, by the way. I don't know if you guys knew that, but he has a time machine.

« Reply #2606 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »
Why do I always miss all the amazing posts in this thread?  :rollin
JR is actually Kevin Moore from the not-so-distant future, by the way. I don't know if you guys knew that, but he has a time machine.

If this is true, then apparently he also has some other magical machine that gave him better keyboard playing skills than he had in his heyday.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2607 on: December 18, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
Both are top 15 material for me.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2608 on: December 18, 2013, 04:08:36 AM »
ANTR isn't a favorite of mine by any means, but I agree.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2609 on: December 18, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
If not for the last 5 minutes....yes 5 minutes.....of ANTR it would be a near perfect song. But, the way they drug it out....oh and put that incredibly out of place/ comical an un-necessary 'blast beat' section in there....ruined it from being a great song to me. That's one of the things I enjoy about DT12....they don't drag out songs just to make them 9-10 minutes long. That's what they did with ANTR....drug it out for no reason other than to have a 16 minute song.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jsem

« Reply #2610 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
If not for the last 5 minutes....yes 5 minutes.....of ANTR it would be a near perfect song. But, the way they drug it out....oh and put that incredibly out of place/ comical an un-necessary 'blast beat' section in there....ruined it from being a great song to me. That's one of the things I enjoy about DT12....they don't drag out songs just to make them 9-10 minutes long. That's what they did with ANTR....drug it out for no reason other than to have a 16 minute song.
I agree. Except I don't find the intro to be the best thing ever. 5:10-10:29 is magic though, encompasses exactly that which I love about DT.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #2611 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:37 AM »

I don't mind the dragged out ending half as much as I dislike the rororo section, which literally makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it, and the majority of the instrumental section. 

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2612 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »
[
I don't mind the dragged out ending half as much as I dislike the rororo section, which literally makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it, and the majority of the instrumental section.

What's the "rororo section"?

Thanks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: December 18, 2013, 08:05:55 AM »
[

Thanks.

"Day after day, and night after night..."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2614 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »
[

Thanks.

"Day after day, and night after night..."

Thanks.  I also can't stand that part. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2615 on: December 18, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
ANTR is a pretty good song for the entire first half and then the rest of the song happens and kills it.
IT was never a good song at any point and it doesn't have any section as bad as the worst of ANTR but nothing in it comes close to the better parts on ANTR either.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #2616 on: December 18, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
I don't know how to compare those two songs. In ANTR, the DAY AFTER DAY part is cringey, and the instrumental part that takes place leading up to is pretty forgettable as well. But I love the rest of the song, especially the peaceful sedation bit!

Illumination Theory is great, I actually really like everything up to the orchestra part, which... well I like that part too, but its totally out of place and hurts the pace of the song. Right AFTER it though, "MOTHERS FOR THEIR CHILDREN, ETC FOR ETC...", is like my favorite bit of the entire album, JLB here :metal. But then I really don't care for "Surrender, Trust & Passion" at all, a mediocre ending to the song imo. The little thingy at the very end that fades out is cool though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2617 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
IT was never a good song at any point and it doesn't have any section as bad as the worst of ANTR but nothing in it comes close to the better parts on ANTR either.

I happen to really like Live, Die, Kill but that's all I really appreciate out of IT.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2618 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »

Well that explains A Rite Of Passage... it was the mason brotherhood...

bruthahood... bruthahood...

« Reply #2619 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »

Ah yes, the part that ruins the song.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #2620 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

:lol There are certainly more parts of the song that ruin it, but that portion is cringe-inducing.

"Strength and dignataaaaay"  "Dignity!!"

« Reply #2621 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
:lol There are certainly more parts of the song that ruin it, but that portion is cringe-inducing.

It became so much worse once I heard the stems, and I listened to the vocals by themselves with full clarity of those horrible backups. Now I can't unhear them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2622 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
:lol  I actually like those parts.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2623 on: December 18, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

What's the follow-up...is it "OY!"

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2624 on: December 18, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »

It became so much worse once I heard the stems, and I listened to the vocals by themselves with full clarity of those horrible backups. Now I can't unhear them.

Where can I hear this?