Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999429 times)

Offline Nearmyth

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1330 on: August 20, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
Also, I think TGD is a bit underrated, but I don't really know if that's highly controversial.
I think its OVERrated. I constantly see people singing praises to it, so I really wouldn't call it underrated.

But.... But... That intro chord progression!  :metal
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1331 on: August 20, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Yes, and I'm sure a ton of people here LOVE that chord progression. So the song isn't underrated.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1332 on: August 20, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
Also, I think TGD is a bit underrated, but I don't really know if that's highly controversial.
I think its OVERrated. I constantly see people singing praises to it, so I really wouldn't call it underrated.

"Being underrated" doesn't mean "being bad" :P

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1333 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
"Being underrated" doesn't mean "being bad" :P

Or overrated.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1334 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
Okay, I fucked this up :D

I wanted to write overrated.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1335 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
Twas a bit of a jest ::)
 I probably haven't seen all the praise and recognition of this song that others have seen, so until then I feel like it's underrated.
In fact most I've seen is people saying it's overrated, so I think to me it's one of those "so overrated it's underrated" types of deals ;D

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1336 on: August 20, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
Twas a bit of a jest ::)
 I probably haven't seen all the praise and recognition of this song that others have seen, so until then I feel like it's underrated.
In fact most I've seen is people saying it's overrated, so I think to me it's one of those "so overrated it's underrated" types of deals ;D

Yes, and I'm sure a ton of people here LOVE that chord progression. So the song isn't underrated.

Well it's called a controversial opinion for a reason.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:24:39 PM by Nearmyth »

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #1337 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Ytse Jam is my fav DT instrumental.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1338 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
Ytse Jam is my fav DT instrumental.

Ytse Jam or SoC
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1339 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »
TGP used to be my #1 DT song, now I'm not sure if it's even in my top 20 anymore.

Ditto, though I'm sure it doesn't make my top 20, let alone top 50.

Also, I think TGD is a bit underrated.

:hat

It most definately is.

Offline nicbor87

« Reply #1340 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:21 AM »
Here are some opinions:
-SFAM would have been mediocre if they had kept Derek
-ACOS and Razor's Edge are ridiculously overrated
-Count of Tuscany has great lyrics and -BCSL is their second best album to date
-One Last Time > Through Her Eyes > The Spirit Carries On
-Ministry of Lost Souls is too short..........nah, just kidding  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »
-Count of Tuscany has great lyrics and -BCSL is their second best album to date

The Count of Tuscany is nowhere near Octavarium's levels.

A Rite Of Passage is really mediocre.

A Nightmare To Remember is far too long.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1342 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
My controversial opinion of the day: 2 more albums after this new one. I'm calling it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1343 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »
My controversial opinion of the day: 2 more albums after this new one. I'm calling it.

:omg:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1344 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »

I think their work ethic and their reason to get right out there even when MP wanted to "take a break" will prove you wrong.  They love to make albums and tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1345 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
I can see them changing their style over the next decade as they age and are no longer able to perform certain songs at the same level, but to call it quits after 2 more albums? That's a pretty bold prediction. I imagine they are all doing well financially, but probably not to the point that they can retire and live on royalties for the rest of their lives.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1346 on: August 21, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
I think they're going to do WWRD and just keep going until they physically can't. The only one even close to that age would probably be Jordan, but is keyboard playing really as strenuous as the others?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1347 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »
I think they're going to do WWRD and just keep going until they physically can't. The only one even close to that age would probably be Jordan, but is keyboard playing really as strenuous as the others?

Not to mention, not even he is showing any signs of slowing down.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1348 on: August 21, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
The only one even close to that age would probably be Jordan, but is keyboard playing really as strenuous as the others?
I don't think it is, there are a lot of famous pianists who pretty much just kept going until they were dead.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
My contraversial opinion (not truth but opinion)

Derek Sherinian was the best keyboardist DT had, followed by Kevin, and finally the beared android.

I definitely prefer Derek to Kevin.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: August 21, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »

I think their work ethic and their reason to get right out there even when MP wanted to "take a break" will prove you wrong.  They love to make albums and tour.

Another two albums = 4 years.  Petrucci & Myung won't even be 50 by then. The rest of them will be mid 50's at most apart from Jordan who will be pushing 60.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1351 on: August 21, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
One can only hope Jordan hangs up the cleats and Kevin Moore gets sick of OCI and comes back now that Portnoy's gone.  :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »
I'd rather Derek came back before Kevin. Much preferred his style.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1353 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
Kevin>>>>>Derick
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1354 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

Another two albums = 4 years.  Petrucci & Myung won't even be 50 by then. The rest of them will be mid 50's at most apart from Jordan who will be pushing 60.

I don't think age will be the issue necessarily. Then again, remember that video snippet a few years back where JP had to put on some heat braces for his arms, and MP needing massages every day to be able to play? I don't think you can assume the guys are all in perfect health just because we don't hear anything.
But, I think the real reason to stop would be lack of interest from the public. And that I think is realistic 2 albums from now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline adastra

« Reply #1355 on: August 21, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
Derek had amazing groove!  Now that Derek is gone from dream theater, So is the groove. and that's a fact.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1356 on: August 21, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Derek had amazing groove!  Now that Derek is gone from dream theater, So is the groove. and that's a fact.

Um no, still just opinion.

I don't think age will be the issue necessarily. Then again, remember that video snippet a few years back where JP had to put on some heat braces for his arms, and MP needing massages every day to be able to play? I don't think you can assume the guys are all in perfect health just because we don't hear anything.
But, I think the real reason to stop would be lack of interest from the public. And that I think is realistic 2 albums from now.

I think you're mixing up own opinion with public opinion here. DT appears to be remaining very steady in terms of popularity, so I don't think lack of interest will be any reason to stop.
Age or lineup will be the most likely reason, and while their demanding music does have its issues as you've mentioned, I think they'll just start easing up on the balls to the wall stuff, and maybe go lighter on touring and recording, rather than sticking to the 2 year schedule.

And when did this thread turn from controversial opinions to controversial theories anyway?! :lol
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:26:53 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1357 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »

Um no, still just opinion.

But Someone who knows more than others told me that it is a fact  :-\

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1358 on: August 22, 2013, 12:17:04 AM »

Lack of interest? You mean people stop going to concerts and buying the albums? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought they were as big as ever right now in terms of fanbase. I don't see that collapsing in the next ~5 years.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1359 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
After reading some comments in TEI thread, this might be a controversial opinion: I think OTBOA is the best song on ADTOE.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline krieger

« Reply #1360 on: August 22, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
One can only hope Jordan hangs up the cleats and Kevin Moore gets sick of OCI and comes back now that Portnoy's gone.  :D

Altough I love the music KM makes, I really doubt he would return. Besides, I can't see him playing any solo for the rest of his life. Every solo from DT would be removed in the live shows!  :biggrin:
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1361 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
JM will cut his hair before that happens (read: it's impossible) :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
It still feels to me like DT are still climbing in popularity. This new album may well welcome on board a lot of new fans.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1363 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
JR is the best keyboard player DT has had and could not be replaced *raises flameshield for the KM lovers*
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
JR is the best keyboard player DT has had and could not be replaced *raises flameshield for the KM lovers*

No controversy from me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens