Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 104220 times)

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
Question for you Trivium fans - How does their back catalog stack up to In Waves?  Please just don't say better or worse...that won't help me at all.  Compare and contrast.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Ascendency and Shogun are the most similar to it in style and sound. If you like In Waves, you should enjoy both of those albums. Of course, each album has a unique identity and they don't sound exactly alike, but they're close enough that you should like them.

It sounds nothing like Ember to Inferno or The Crusade. Mainly because Ember to Inferno, being the debut, is much more raw and much less polished, while The Crusade is a completely different style altogether (throwback 80s thrash).

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Guess I'm adding Shogun and Ascendency to my "to buy" list.  Wish I would have made the effort BEFORE seeing DT last year.

Offline The Ugliest Unicorn

• More than a horse
« Reply #354 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
I didn't find 'Shogun' to be as instantly gratifying as Trivium's other albums, but given time to digest the music it's my favorite of theirs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
while The Crusade is a completely different style altogether (throwback 80s thrash).
I really like the Crusade, but I've never really checked anything else out, because of being told that it's such a different style. The Crusade really does sound like Testament.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Ugliest Unicorn

• More than a horse
« Reply #356 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
while The Crusade is a completely different style altogether (throwback 80s thrash).
I really like the Crusade, but I've never really checked anything else out, because of being told that it's such a different style. The Crusade really does sound like Testament.

Do yourself a favor and check out Ascendancy (assuming you aren't anti-hardcore vocals) it's a modern classic!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »
:tup

Ascendency and Shogun are their best albums, no doubt. Ascendency is an absolute masterpiece. It's one of the best metal albums ever released. It's got incredible songwriting, production, musicianship, etc. It's a ferocious metal assault while at the same time being strangely beautiful. Modern metal doesn't get any better. It's a perfect album in every way. I don't know what else to say about it, just listen to it and prepare to be blown away.

Shogun is Trivium's most technically complex and - dare I say it - most progressive album to date. It may be a little bit harder to get into at first, but it's VERY worth it. Like Ascendency, it's a masterpiece, but for different reasons. It's basically a marriage of the styles found on Ascendency and The Crusade. The songwriting is more advanced, Matt's lyrics and vocals are improved, and there's lots of crazy guitar work. It's really close to being their best album, but Ascendency beats it out due to its sheer raw power. However Shogun is fantastic as well, and I wouldn't doubt someone who claims it as their favorite.

Yeah. Both of these albums represent the gold standard of modern metal. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:29:31 PM by Gadough »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
Guess I'm adding Shogun and Ascendency to my "to buy" list.  Wish I would have made the effort BEFORE seeing DT last year.

The only album I had at the time was In Waves, and they played that album heavily enough at the show that the few other songs in the set that I didn't know still didn't make me feel like I was in completely unfamiliar territory.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
lol:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »
I meant to say give any Trivium a chance before the show.  I just got In Waves, and sadly I really only ordered it because it was 70% off.  I don't know what my hangup on these guys were TBH, I guess I just needed to sit down and check out an album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: April 12, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
I meant to say give any Trivium a chance before the show.  I just got In Waves, and sadly I really only ordered it because it was 70% off.  I don't know what my hangup on these guys were TBH, I guess I just needed to sit down and check out an album.

get Shogun and Ascendancy now!!!

lol:

Funny photo.  Man, Paulo has now turned into Dhalism from Street Fighter.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cable

« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »

get Shogun and Ascendancy now!!!

Ok, so after seeing Trivium twice due to other bands (DT one of them), I decided to give them more of a go. I did have Ascendancy the song for awhile, but in my post-metal days just let it go. So i borrowed from a friend Ascendancy and The Crusade...loved Ascendancy, The Crusade was meh.

Based on this thread, I bought Shogun, and it has been absolutely incredible! A perfect blend of their styles, and i am ashamed I did not get some of their stuff sooner! The title track on Shogun is especially special.

And I think these guys are great live... a lot of energy and fun they give off. Despite what I heard two arrogant and ignorant DT fans say at the DT/Trivium show. They and their fans were much more into it and vocal than In Flames at that show.
---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
Shogun is indeed a masterpiece.  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »
Shogun is indeed a masterpiece.  :metal

I still prefer In Waves.

I think it's a lot more focused and has much better production.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #365 on: May 18, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
I still can't decide which album is my favorite, Ascendancy or Shogun. Ascendancy was my introduction to the band when it came out and when I saw them with Children Of Bodom and In Flames when they were touring for that album, they left a huge, strong impression on me and I was blown away by them.

However, I seem to listen to Shogun more, 'Kirisute Gomen' probably being my favorite song of theirs. Plus, Shogun has my favorite modern metal production EVER on an album - perfect mix, you can hear all 4 intruments at an equal level, and the tones for all instruments being AMAZING.

Quite a toss-up

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
dat instrumental section in Into The Mouth of Hell We March :hefdaddy
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #367 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
Picked up Shogun used yesterday.  I haven't listened all the way through, but so far, it isn't really grabbing me.  I mean, it's okay, but I just don't find it as interesting as In Waves.  *braces for impact once Gadough reads this*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
I love Shogun to death, it's probably one of my Top 10 albums, but I had the same problem that you are having, bosk. It is a very unique record, and, as Gadough has already said, not as instantly accessible as Ascendancy. However, when this album clicked for me, it was glorious moment.

Kirisute Gomen and Shogun are still my favourite tracks, but there is no bad track present. Give it time, bosk, and I dare say that it will grow on you.

Question from me: I haven't heard In Waves yet, what can you tell me about it? A friend of mine said that the album was a massive disappointment for him, which kind of made me forget to check it out, but after reading your opinions, maybe I ought to do it...
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Question from me: I haven't heard In Waves yet, what can you tell me about it? A friend of mine said that the album was a massive disappointment for him, which kind of made me forget to check it out, but after reading your opinions, maybe I ought to do it...

I love it.  I consider myself an "old-school metalhead," but am not so much into a lot of modern metal.  I generally don't like screamy or growly vocals either, although there are exceptions.  So when it was announced that DT would tour with Trivium on the opening leg of the tour, and I listened to a few songs on YouTube, I wasn't immediately drawn in.  But after a few more listens, I decided it wasn't bad, and picked up In Waves relatively cheap.  After a couple of listens, I found myself really liking it.  It's just good metal.  The songs are well-written, polished, and just rock.  Other than picking up Shogun yesterday, it is my only album from the band, so I can't really compare it to their other works.  I just know that I like it a lot.  I rank it at #4 in my 2011 album ranking, behind DT, Redemption, and Arch/Matheos.  To me, it is better than Neal Morse's T2, which is really saying a lot. 

Don't know if that helps, but there you have it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: June 19, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks. I was planning on getting it, but now I'm sure of it, so yes, it did help.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: June 19, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
Being new to Trivium myself, I found I liked Ascendency and In Waves more than Shogun as well, and really haven't given Shogun a fair shake since I always end up choosing to listen to the other two.  I'm sure I'll address that someday.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
Like Scorpion said, it takes a while for Shogun to click, but when it does, it is amazing. Kirisute Gomen, Throes of Perdition, Down from the Sky.....these are powerful songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
Yeah, Shogun took quite a long time to ago and sink in.  Once it did, it's probably the album along with Ascendancy that I listen to the most.  But for people getting into it now it may take even longer.  I was still happy with the album as soon as it was released as the fans in general were happy with Shogun compared to The Crusade.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
Shogun was the first Trivium album I got so I can't really compare how long it took me to get into it with the other albums since that was also me getting into Trivium. I'd say it was definitely easier than Ascendancy for me though, but I'm not a big fan of the more metalcore sound / screaming on it. I find that Ascendancy and In Waves are both similar in that they have some songs I really like and some I don't really care for at all. Shogun is much more consistent, there aren't really any songs that I don't like to listen to. Plus, it has their best stuff imo. Into The Mouth Of Hell We March, Shogun... then several more songs that are on a similar level to my favourites from other albums (Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Like Light To Flies, Caustic Are The Ties That Bind).

But yeah, for me, Shogun IS Trivium. In Waves was great too but Shogun remains my favourite.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
Picked up Shogun used yesterday.  I haven't listened all the way through, but so far, it isn't really grabbing me.  I mean, it's okay, but I just don't find it as interesting as In Waves.  *braces for impact once Gadough reads this*

Bosk, I count my blessings that you like them at all. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
In Waves > > > > Shogun.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #377 on: June 20, 2012, 03:52:11 AM »
I haven't really bothered with checking out In Waves, but Shogun is really great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
IN Waves to me is like their Black Album. It has shorter - more focussed songs.

There's no fat - all the parts are great and songs seem to end at the right time.

Plus the production is fantastic.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »
I'm going to a Trivium concert, bitches!!!!

It was actually pretty neat: I was talking about music with a friend of mine and he said that we should really hit a show together again, after how much fun we had at the System of a Down gig. As we were listening to Shogun at that moment, Trivium was the first idea, so we checked if they were touring, and they are, and their in the area in November, together with As I Lay Dying.

'Tis gonna rock. :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
They dominate live. I'm very happy for you, and I can't wait to see them again.

Get up close.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:08 AM »
They dominate live. I'm very happy for you, and I can't wait to see them again.

Get up close.

When did you see them? That is, during which tour?

Also, you know what sucks? That they don't play Shogun.  :'(

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
The tour supporting In Waves right after it came out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Same here (but not their headlining tour; I saw them supporting DT last year).  And, yes, they do in fact dominate live.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
That sounds great. I'm really stoked.  :metal