Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 500890 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7385 on: May 02, 2024, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7386 on: May 02, 2024, 11:45:50 PM »
"I've Been Runnin" live?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP17xYfw8qE

also the same show they played a tune titled "The Loser"
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1974/laura-secord-secondary-school-st-catharines-on-canada-4bcf33aa.html
https://youtu.be/Drouhbjp_9c?si=sjslh8ipw3KTNw9a

I remember seeing this show online after it had been released in the R40 compilation of their 21st century concert videos, on a bonus disc with other fun extras:
Disc Six — R40 Bonus Disc
Laura Secord Secondary School 1974
1) Need Some Love 2) Before and After 3) Best I Can 4) I’ve Been Runnin’ 5) Bad Boy 6) The Loser 7) Working Man 8) In the Mood (partial)
Capitol Theatre 1976
1) Bastille Day 2) Anthem 3) Lakeside Park 4) 2112 5) Fly By Night/In the Mood
Lock and Key 1988
Molson Amphitheatre 1997
1) Limelight 2) Half the World 3) Limbo 4) Virtuality 5) Nobody’s Hero 6) Test for Echo 7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo 8) 2112 (all seven parts)
I Still Love You Man 2011
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2013
1) 2112 featuring Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nick Raskulinecz 2) Tom Sawyer (3) The Spirit of Radio
https://www.rush.com/r40-40th-anniversary-collectors-box-set-available-in-dvd-blu-ray/

I'm glad the band were able to release this video, as it's a fascinating look into the band's earliest days.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7387 on: May 03, 2024, 09:41:20 AM »
Is that bonus disk available separately?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7388 on: May 03, 2024, 09:51:12 AM »
They can dig that stuff up but can't dig up any video from the PEW/MP tours....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7389 on: May 03, 2024, 11:02:31 AM »
They can dig that stuff up but can't dig up any video from the PEW/MP tours....

Can't dig up what is lost or never made, but I'm sure they're still holding onto stuff. I'm still waiting to see if they do a GUP 40th Anniversary box set with a full concert video and audio.

I'm still glad they gave us what they could for live tracks for the AFTK, PEW and MP box sets, especially that full Toronto show, but when there was nothing for the Signals set, I was pretty let down. Does anyone know if they could still have that whole GUP Live show or is it a case of, once they had what they needed for the original releases, everything else was cut and tossed?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Kram

« Reply #7390 on: May 03, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
I'd be interested in this as well.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7391 on: May 03, 2024, 11:54:07 AM »
I don't believe so. It was a bonus to give people extra reason to buy the R40 video box set that probably already had most of the other stuff on Blu-ray.   ;)

Can't dig up what is lost or never made, but I'm sure they're still holding onto stuff.
Yeah, it's hard to know if they filmed anything from the PeW tour. The thing that disappoints me is that they couldn't release a full PeW show on audio at least. I'm glad for what they did release, and along with the St. Louis radio broadcast, I think a whole PeW show can be cobbled together, but still it's a bit lame.

I'm still waiting to see if they do a GUP 40th Anniversary box set with a full concert video and audio.
Given what they did for Moving Pictures and the fact that there was *no* bonus audio for Signals at all (LAME!!!!), I'm hoping for release of a full audio show, but I doubt we'll see a video included in the package, and if so, probably what we already have, but maybe at a higher resolution. (Yes I know that one was shot on videotape instead of film, but given the software for increasing resolution today, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it)

I'm still glad they gave us what they could for live tracks for the AFTK, PEW and MP box sets, especially that full Toronto show, but when there was nothing for the Signals set, I was pretty let down. Does anyone know if they could still have that whole GUP Live show or is it a case of, once they had what they needed for the original releases, everything else was cut and tossed?
You and me both on the disappointment factor for Signals - didn't bother buying a 40th anniversary package for that reason - hope they get the message from everyone else who did the same. As for if they have the whole thing or not, it's hard to say, but given that extra scenes from movies of that era have often been destroyed and/or are only available in low quality to be released on anniversary edition movie releases, I wouldn't be surprised if the original film negatives for the ESL video are long gone. Hope I'm wrong.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7392 on: May 03, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
I stole the following from Reddit.  COMPLETELY new information to me.

"The 1936 classic Mr. Deeds Goes to Town stars Gary Cooper as Longfellow Deeds, a man from Mandrake Falls, Vermont who inherits $20 million and dreams of using it to help his fellow Americans through the Depresson [sic].  Cynical newspaper reporter Babe Bennett (Jean Arthur) dubs him 'the Cinderella Man.'

And here are the opening lyrics of Rush’s 'Cinderella Man':

'A modest man from Mandrake / Travelled rich to the city / He had a need to discover / A use for his newly found wealth / Because he was human, because he had goodness / [Because] he was moral they called him insane'"

I had no idea the lyrics were based on a movie, but I always wondered about the "Mandrake" reference in the song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7393 on: May 03, 2024, 01:06:56 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to know if they filmed anything from the PeW tour. The thing that disappoints me is that they couldn't release a full PeW show on audio at least. I'm glad for what they did release, and along with the St. Louis radio broadcast, I think a whole PeW show can be cobbled together, but still it's a bit lame.

This is exactly what I did to achieve my "complete PEW Tour" show, which I dubbed the "Permanent Waves World Tour", which I discussed in my Rush Tourography thread over a year ago.

Disc 1
1. 2112 (Live In St. Louis)
2. Freewill (Live In London)
3. By-Tor And The Snow Dog (Live In London)
4. Xanadu (Live In London)
5. The Spirit Of Radio (Live In Manchester)
6. Natural Science (Live In Manchester)
7. A Passage To Bangkok (Live In Manchester) (Only on the digital version)
8. The Trees (Live In Manchester)

Disc 2
1. Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage (Live In London)
2. Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres (Live In London)
3. Closer To The Heart (Live In Manchester)
4. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live In Manchester)
5. Jacob's Ladder (Live In St. Louis)
6. Working Man Medley (Live In St. Louis)
7. La Villa Strangiato (Live In St. Louis)

-Marc.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7394 on: May 07, 2024, 06:39:35 AM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7395 on: May 07, 2024, 06:55:29 AM »
"We sound like a really bad tribute band"  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7396 on: May 07, 2024, 11:10:31 AM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7397 on: May 07, 2024, 11:16:45 AM »
Excellent comments here from Alex in that article.

It is amazing that Paul McCartney himself tried to convince you.
Yes, it was. And I asked him to be our manager, but I said, “Would you be our caterer?” And then he said he’d be a caterer. And then I knew I made a mistake because he’s a vegan and there’s no way I’m giving up steak [laughs].