Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 121133 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3325 on: May 14, 2024, 08:57:32 AM »
I'm always amazed how long people wait in line for BBQ, even the best of the best. 

I'm a bit biased though because I hate lines more than just about anything else on Earth, and I don't find BBQing to be all that difficult.
Yeah, like I said before, there's point of diminishing returns. It's also the case that every place will have good days and bad days. I've never had a bad meal at Blacks, and I've never waited more than 10 minutes or so. Snow's or Franklin's, the undisputed bests in Texas might be better, but I don't see how they can be so much better to justify waiting all morning in line.

For my part it's not that I can do better, I cannot, but that the price has kind of gotten out of control as BBQ snobs have made good BBQ so trendy. If I'm going to spend $50 on a meal, and I'm generally not going to, BBQ probably isn't what I'm after.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3326 on: May 14, 2024, 09:00:06 AM »
We've got BBQ places like that here in NC as well.  They only fix so much each day, and when they're out, they're out, so if you want it, you go early and get in line, or you don't get it.  Some even serve brisket as well.
It's whole hog in your neck of the woods, isn't it? That's something that isn't going to scale upwards. That's the thing about BBQ. You cant just add a few more lbs of meat. You hit a point where increasing the amount of meat means basically adding a whole 'nother shift, and more than doubling it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3327 on: May 14, 2024, 09:24:28 AM »
It's whole hog in your neck of the woods, isn't it? That's something that isn't going to scale upwards. That's the thing about BBQ. You cant just add a few more lbs of meat. You hit a point where increasing the amount of meat means basically adding a whole 'nother shift, and more than doubling it.
Yeah, I'm technically in the Eastern part of NC, where whole hog is king.  I was born and raised in the western part of the state, where pork shoulders are a lot more common, but a pig picking is not out of the question.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: May 14, 2024, 09:31:18 AM »
Add me to the group that isn't a huge fan of brisket.  I'm certainly not waiting for that myself.  I love the sausages though at BBQ spots.  I'm not a huge rib guy, but the ribs can often be good.  It's just that, ribs cost too much for the meat you get a lot of times so it's not usually my go to option, but sometimes, you just want them and they hit the spot. 

Having said that, I never get good bbq like what's being talked about because I don't really know any spots near me that do it well.  I still remember getting it in Austin and really enjoying it and also my work Denver trips would lead me to a spot that was really good (its a chain, Rudy's).  Been a long time since I went to a proper bbq joint.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3329 on: May 14, 2024, 09:51:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm technically in the Eastern part of NC, where whole hog is king.  I was born and raised in the western part of the state, where pork shoulders are a lot more common, but a pig picking is not out of the question.
Never done the whole hog thing, but when I'm in the Carolinas, hopefully this Summer (Carrowinds), that's something I'm definitely going to look for.

As for the pork shoulder, that'd be drowned in vinegar, right? Not really my thing. I've had pulled pork that was alright, but certainly not my go-to.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3330 on: May 14, 2024, 10:09:57 AM »
Yeah, like I said before, there's point of diminishing returns. It's also the case that every place will have good days and bad days. I've never had a bad meal at Blacks, and I've never waited more than 10 minutes or so. Snow's or Franklin's, the undisputed bests in Texas might be better, but I don't see how they can be so much better to justify waiting all morning in line.

For my part it's not that I can do better, I cannot, but that the price has kind of gotten out of control as BBQ snobs have made good BBQ so trendy. If I'm going to spend $50 on a meal, and I'm generally not going to, BBQ probably isn't what I'm after.

And that's the problem for me; the meat is the centerpiece, I get that, but after that, beans, coleslaw, corn and fries?  I'm not paying $50 for that.  And now that I can do what Chino was talking about - I have a farm literally 500 yards from my house, though I go to local meat market (Arnold's) for the meat similar to what Chino showed - I can honestly make all the sides myself for a nominal amount.  I "juge" (I don't know how to spell that; it's a sound) up the canned beans and it's as good as any you will buy at a restaurant and my wife makes a world class cornbread. 

For the record, and I'll try to take some photos, but we're having a party next Sunday for my stepdaughter - she got engaged - and it's a BBQ party (the tag line on the invites is "BBQ Before I Do") and we're going to do all the things I'm saying here. My stepson is smoking a pig shoulder, ribs, and making chicken "lollipops" (chicken legs basted, wrapped in bacon and smoked), and we're doing various sides, family style.  Probably 30 people maybe? 40 including the young kids.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3331 on: May 14, 2024, 10:14:10 AM »
For the record, and I'll try to take some photos, but we're having a party next Sunday for my stepdaughter - she got engaged - and it's a BBQ party (the tag line on the invites is "BBQ Before I Do") and we're going to do all the things I'm saying here. My stepson is smoking a pig shoulder, ribs, and making chicken "lollipops" (chicken legs basted, wrapped in bacon and smoked), and we're doing various sides, family style.  Probably 30 people maybe? 40 including the young kids.   

Congrats, that sounds like a delicious party too... so maybe 41 people?  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3332 on: May 14, 2024, 10:33:45 AM »
Congrats, that sounds like a delicious party too... so maybe 41 people?  ;)

You're in!  (42, bring your girl!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3333 on: May 14, 2024, 11:18:01 AM »
Sounds awesome! Congrats Bill!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3334 on: May 14, 2024, 12:34:52 PM »
Never done the whole hog thing, but when I'm in the Carolinas, hopefully this Summer (Carrowinds), that's something I'm definitely going to look for.
Not sure if you'll easily find any whole hog in that area.  Too far west.  But there could be an Easterner who has moved there to cook it that way.  Good luck.

As for the pork shoulder, that'd be drowned in vinegar, right? Not really my thing. I've had pulled pork that was alright, but certainly not my go-to.
No, shoulder won't be drowned in vinegar.  There will be some vinegar in the BBQ sauce, but it is normally on the side.  The chopped BBQ from Eastern NC (where they cook whole hog) is usually served with some their sauce mixed in the meat, and it is more vinegary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3335 on: May 14, 2024, 06:18:59 PM »

What do you think are the best BBQ joints in Dallas?  Asking for my brother who occasionally gets down that way for a Mavericks game, and he will always try a new BBQ joint wherever he goes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: May 14, 2024, 08:28:48 PM »
I can think of exactly 1 BBQ that is anywhere in the vicinity of my house, and even if I extend that radius out to beyond where I would ever drive for a meal, I still cannot think of a second one. Where I live you could throw a rock in the air and have a decent chance of it landing on either a coffee shop or a Thai restaurant... but BBQ places are nearly non-existent.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline emtee

« Reply #3337 on: May 15, 2024, 07:14:02 AM »
My wife likes watching ABC nightly news. The format is maddening to me and drives me crazy.

-Opening monologue which includes headline briefs of all the upcoming stories.
- Fifteen minutes of commercial-free news.
-Repeat of not yet covered headline briefs.
-Commercials
-Fifteen seconds of news plus repeat (3rd time) not yet covered stories
-Long commercial break
-Fifteen seconds of news plus repeat (4th time) not yet covered stories
-Long commercial break
- Fifteen seconds of news, repeat of final headline prompt
--Long commercial break
-Final story. Close out broadcast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3338 on: May 15, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »
I can think of exactly 1 BBQ that is anywhere in the vicinity of my house, and even if I extend that radius out to beyond where I would ever drive for a meal, I still cannot think of a second one. Where I live you could throw a rock in the air and have a decent chance of it landing on either a coffee shop or a Thai restaurant... but BBQ places are nearly non-existent.
Ironically, I rarely eat BBQ in Dallas. For years we didn't do it very well up here. Now there are dozens of apparently great places, but see again, diminishing returns vs high prices. BBQ is something I mostly do when I'm on the road. I'll find excuses to head down Austin way just for good BBQ.

In Dallas I'm pretty cool with Slow Bone. Their sausage isn't the best, but good brisket and that's the place that wowed me with the smoked turkey. It's also five minutes from the AAC. Pecan Lodge is generally regarded as the best, but there will be a line. Same with Cattleack, and they're only open a couple of days a week. Heim just opened up around the corner from work, but I haven't been there. They get props for still offering a 3-meat plate, though, and the line should be pretty short.

Guy that owns and operates Slow Bone made his name cooking great fried chicken (and apparently still does). I suspect that's why the turkey is so good. He'll tell you it's all in the brine. They used to do wonderful brisket tamales on Fridays, but they were simply too much work. I miss those things.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3339 on: May 15, 2024, 08:32:56 AM »
Yep, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Thai/Vietnamese/Laotian place around here. Asian fusion became all the rage down here a few years back. There are still plenty of old school BBQ places that have been around a gazillion years. They're just a different thing from the new "golden age" places that really changed the ballgame.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3340 on: May 15, 2024, 11:01:58 AM »
My wife likes watching ABC nightly news. The format is maddening to me and drives me crazy.

-Opening monologue which includes headline briefs of all the upcoming stories.
- Fifteen minutes of commercial-free news.
-Repeat of not yet covered headline briefs.
-Commercials
-Fifteen seconds of news plus repeat (3rd time) not yet covered stories
-Long commercial break
-Fifteen seconds of news plus repeat (4th time) not yet covered stories
-Long commercial break
- Fifteen seconds of news, repeat of final headline prompt
--Long commercial break
-Final story. Close out broadcast.
Agreed!  I don't normally watch the entire broadcast, but I turn it over there waiting for Jeopardy, and they come back from commercial for about 10 or 15 seconds before going to commercial again!  It's crazy!