Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 91449 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1015 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:01 AM »
What I find strange is that while there are quite a few great goalies in the league right now, there is no one even close to becoming an all-time great as of right now.  I mean, for about a 20-year period or so, we got to watch arguably the three best goalies ever (Roy, Hasek and Brodeur), yet there isn't a single goalie out there right now who is even close to being in the same conversation with any of those three.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1016 on: May 14, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Without looking, how do Rinne's stats stack up? Lundqvist?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1017 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:16 AM »
It's never as simple as looking at stats (especially since they vary from era to era). Rinne has never won the Vezina, and Lundqvist has only won it once.  Both are really good and have their moments of pure greatness, but I never see either dominating like the aforementioned three.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1018 on: May 14, 2017, 07:21:04 AM »
Well, those were just the first two that popped into my head.

I agree on your main point. Other than Lundqvist, are there any other HOF goalies playing. What about Quick?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1019 on: May 14, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »
Rough game last night from the Pens. I'm worried about this series. After the overly emotional Jackets and Caps series, I don't know how much the Pens have left in the tank. That plays right into how the Sens want to play.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1020 on: May 14, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »
I LOVE the "Every Letter Is Earned" campaign.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1021 on: May 14, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
I LOVE the "Every Letter Is Earned" campaign.

Yeah... that was an awesome commercial
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1022 on: May 14, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
The thought of an Ottawa/Nashville Final is quite interesting. You'd never see this kind of thing in the NBA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1023 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Well, those were just the first two that popped into my head.

I agree on your main point. Other than Lundqvist, are there any other HOF goalies playing. What about Quick?

Nah.  Quick has has two rings and a Conn Smythe, but has never consistently been considered a top goalie.

It's interesting to note that when the NHL recently did their top 100 players in the history of the league thing, they had 15 goalies on there, none of whom are currently active.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1024 on: May 14, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
I picked Preds to go to the SCF, so I wouldn't agree with them being a surprise. :biggrin:
You're telling me you picked them to take out Chicago in the 1st round? You may have been the only person outside the Nashville dressing room to do so.
Yep, although I picked it going to 7. Their final placement for the season was misleading. They are a much better team than it let on and I think they have a decent chance of taking the Cup (although I'd still place the odds in Pitt's favour).

Also for above, Quick might not even be one of the top 10 goalies in the NHL today. Outside of 2012 and an impressive 2013 playoffs he's never been one of the top goaltenders. Gotta be the most overrated player in the league IMO.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:09:42 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
I picked Preds to go to the SCF, so I wouldn't agree with them being a surprise. :biggrin:
You're telling me you picked them to take out Chicago in the 1st round? You may have been the only person outside the Nashville dressing room to do so.
Yep, although I picked it going to 7. Their final placement for the season was misleading. They are a much better team than it let on and I think they have a decent chance of taking the Cup (although I'd still place the odds in Pitt's favour).

Also for above, Quick might not even be one of the top 10 goalies in the NHL today. Outside of 2012 and an impressive 2013 playoffs he's never been one of the top goaltenders. Gotta be the most overrated player in the league IMO.

Agreed.... Quick was scary good back then, but nowadays, he's middle of the pack at best.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
Laughing at the Pens fans from last night complaining about how boring the game was last night. I was having fun.

I'm just kidding about Pens fans complaining, but some of the comments were funny
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1027 on: May 14, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
It was kinda boring, but that's the way Ottawa needs to play to be successful. If they opened it up, Pittsburgh would likely walk all over them.

I expected a bit of a let down after the game 7 win, and I think PIT had the majority of the good chances (but I could be wrong, admittedly I was watching at a pub with many beers). Anderson was fantastic, but I expect this to be 1-1 heading to Ottawa.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1028 on: May 15, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
I agree, it was a boring game. And you are right, as a Sens fan I'd be loving it too.

The Sens have got to keep that 1-3-1 going strong or else they might get in some trouble. The Pens can help themselves out a lot by having cleaner breakouts and better passing through the neutral zone. Hopefully they get to that tonight.

The thought of an Ottawa/Nashville Final is quite interesting. You'd never see this kind of thing in the NBA.

For better or worse, there's a good reason for that...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
I dunno about "good" reason, but there's certainly a few reasons.  And we NHL fans know what they are.  And I'll take those reasons (and the NHL) over every other major professional sport.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1030 on: May 15, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
I dunno about "good" reason, but there's certainly a few reasons.  And we NHL fans know what they are.  And I'll take those reasons (and the NHL) over every other major professional sport.

Not sure if it's because you are in Canada and I'm in the states, but I can honestly say hockey is my favorite of the major NA sports but the NHL is my least favorite league.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1031 on: May 15, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
The NHL surely has its issues, but if there is one thing they've done very well, it's that they've provided parity throughout the league. The salary cap and some other smaller measures help in that big time. Quite frankly any other major sporting league without a salary cap (and floor) is just a joke.

In 2013 the Yankees had an opening day payroll of 228m, while the Astros sat at 22m.

In basketball you have such blatant tanking that large chunks of the season for many teams is pointless.

In NASCAR you have a quarter pound of pressure being added to the right rear instead of left front.

Okay, maybe I don't know how this effects stock car racing at all.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1032 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
Yeah the cap is a good thing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: May 15, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
Yeah the cap is a good thing.

Yeah, and while the regular season has been good to most teams, the playoffs still let the big dogs come through on a little too much of a regular basis for my tastes. Keep in mind that the Flyers always spend to the cap, so this isn't helping me, but going off of last years numbers I'd love to see a bit more revenue sharing that would allow the floor to raise substantially with little impact to the ceiling.

It was 73 / 54 for 2016, and is expected to come back around 75 for the high end in 2017. I know the ratio is already set and this is pointless, but instead of 15-20 teams all getting that extra 2 million to spend I'd much rather see the floor raise 58 or 60.

In any case that 73 / 54 split is such a world better than a lot of other leagues.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1034 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:30 AM »
Nick, to clarify, I'm with you. Pretty much none of my issues with the league have anything to do with the cap.

As for last night - the Pens were able to tie up the series and man what a series this is going to be... Speaking of issues I have with the league this series encompasses a lot of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1035 on: May 16, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
Nashville fans are cute.  They throw shit on the ice because the ref had the audacity to call a penalty on the Preds for constant goalie interference.  I guess when you haven't had hockey that long, you tend to be clueless about the actual rules.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1036 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
Nashville fans are cute.  They throw shit on the ice because the ref had the audacity to call a penalty on the Preds for constant goalie interference.  I guess when you haven't had hockey that long, you tend to be clueless about the actual rules.

Those fans are annoying. The cuss word chants and what not....classless.

I'm amazed their getting calls against them. They have to be shocked after the soft treatment they've been getting. They're still getting away with that defensive zone pick/interference though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
Figures.

Nashville gets a 'fortunate' power play in the last three minutes of a tied home game. It's really getting annoying

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1038 on: May 16, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Figures.

Nashville gets a 'fortunate' power play in the last three minutes of a tied home game. It's really getting annoying

Wait wait wait... it was an inarguable high stick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1039 on: May 16, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
Nashville simply overwhelmed Anaheim in that 3rd period.  Few teams could have withstood that kind of onslaught.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1040 on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
In NASCAR you have a quarter pound of pressure being added to the right rear instead of left front.

Okay, maybe I don't know how this effects stock car racing at all.

On an oval track that would loosen/free up a car in the turns basically making it turn easier. Sorry, I'm a life-long auto racing fan. I couldn't resist.  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: May 16, 2017, 11:52:45 PM »
Figures.

I'm not saying it wasn't unarguable. Just saying that 'fortune' found them again. It's getting old to me. I'm finding myself being less and less of a fan of Nashville given just how many breaks and what not they've gotten this playoff season. It's annoying....it's like when Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker. Every hand he was dealt was Ace/King or better....OF COURSE he should have won!

That's what this feels like to me for Nashville. Anytime they 'need' something to happen it happens. Some of it from working for it but most of it is 'fortune'. OF COURSE they're steamrolling everyone....they should given the repeated breaks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: May 17, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Figures.

I'm not saying it wasn't unarguable. Just saying that 'fortune' found them again. It's getting old to me. I'm finding myself being less and less of a fan of Nashville given just how many breaks and what not they've gotten this playoff season. It's annoying....it's like when Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker. Every hand he was dealt was Ace/King or better....OF COURSE he should have won!

That's what this feels like to me for Nashville. Anytime they 'need' something to happen it happens. Some of it from working for it but most of it is 'fortune'. OF COURSE they're steamrolling everyone....they should given the repeated breaks.

It doesn't hurt that they've played like the better team every series so far as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: May 17, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
Agree with Nick.  It isn't so much about the 'fortunate'-ness of the PP that Nashville got, but that they took advantage of it.  Anaheim got a "fortunate" call with the 2nd disallowed goal + PP.  I don't disagree with that call, I think it was 100% interference and deserved a no-goal + PP.  However, I have seen similar plays called the other way.  So, in the last 10 minutes, both teams got a "fortunate" call in their favour.  The difference is Nashville made something with it.

The Ducks were taking a standing 8-count all period.

And Gibson better do a better job of finding the puck.  This is two games in a row he's had no idea where the puck was resulting a wide open cage for Nashville. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: May 17, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
It doesn't hurt that they've played like the better team every series so far as well.

Ehh...I guess. That series with the Blues was very 'winnable' for the Blues. Nashville didn't steamroll them by any means. They just cashed in on every chance they had and were the recipients of a couple questionable calls that changed momentum.

Anyway....whatever. Just personally sick of Nashville at the moment.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: May 17, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
And you have every right to be.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1046 on: May 17, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
At this point I have to pull for Nashville. Frankly I see them having a better chance to steamroll in the series and get the extra rest for the finals, and I will root for whatever team has the better chance of doing that and beating Pittsburgh.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1047 on: May 17, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »
Quick start by the Boring Senators
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1048 on: May 17, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
Man, Ottawa is BORING tonight

Boring game
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1049 on: May 17, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
WOW!!