Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 179332 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/sony-announces-playstation-suite/

Sony just dropped a bomb on the Japanese stage -- not a single PlayStation Phone, but a PlayStation Phone experience for everybody. The company unveiled a cross-platform software framework called PlayStation Suite, which sounds rather boring in those words, but what it amounts to is an official PlayStation Store filled with games for your Android tablets and cellphones. Sony's starting with an emulator for existing PSOne titles and is promising an Android game store later this year, but soon it might be much, much more: the company's calling PlayStation Suite a "hardware-neutral" development framework to make games portable for all sorts of handhelds, and says that "new and exciting content" is also on the way.

Sony will sponsor a first-party licensing and quality-assurance scheme called PlayStation Certified, and provide the marketplace as well, likely hoping to attract major game developers to build top-tier titles for mobile and get a piece of the action too. If your device doesn't have have a pop-out gamepad handy, it looks like PlayStation Suite will emulate touchscreen controls, and you won't necessarily need a phone to get in on the action, as Sony says the next-generation PlayStation Portable will be compatible with games developed for PlayStation Suite right off the bat. Doesn't look like we're getting any details on game prices or compatible devices, but we imagine one particular phone will change all that at Mobile World Congress next month.

Update: Looks like PlayStation Suite requires Android 2.3 at a minimum, and it's PSOne, not PlayStation Portable titles that will be emulated here, despite Kaz Hirai's quote during the festivities. PR after the break!

:caffeine:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #491 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
Thats surprising. I was really expecting a playstation phone today. Especially with all the spy shots that have be surfacing the last few weeks. One might still be on the way.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Oh, there's definitely a Playstation phone on the way but it's called "Xperia Play".

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #493 on: January 27, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
apparently motorola atrix overheats like hell, lol at&t fails again.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #494 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »
Oh, there's definitely a Playstation phone on the way but it's called "Xperia Play".
My excitement over it has come down, based on the fact that I still don't know if it's gonna play PSP games or PSP2 games... and Sony unveiled the PSP2 on that same conference.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
Based on the information I got from Engadget, it would just be Playstation 1 games.

The only major advantage of the Xperia Play now is that it has proper hardware controls.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #496 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
Based on the information I got from Engadget, it would just be Playstation 1 games.
Well, that sucks!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #497 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
plus it's gingerbread minimum, which is pretty much nobody right now.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2011, 04:15:45 AM »
I've been looking at rooting my phone but from what I've read it will wipe everything already on there. What will happen to my paid Apps, normal Apps, Contacts, etc? Can I back these up?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
get a backup app, back that shit up to the sd, then you can recover from it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #500 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »
get a backup app, back that shit up to the sd, then you can recover from it.
That. You can back it up on the SD card or you can download AppBrain off the market and back them up to their site.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:03 AM »
I've been looking at rooting my phone but from what I've read it will wipe everything already on there. What will happen to my paid Apps, normal Apps, Contacts, etc? Can I back these up?

I rooted with no such problems.  It was only slightly more workthan installing an app from an .apk, and I didn't have to wipe my device.

What phone are you using?  For DX and D2, Z4root is quick, easy and reliable.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
Interesting, I had to wipe mine when I rooted it.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
Posting from my android, big fan so far! I much prefer tying via this slideit app to the traditional phone keypad, very clever bit of software!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #504 on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
Posting from my android, big fan so far! I much prefer tying via this slideit app to the traditional phone keypad, very clever bit of software!
Bolded for lulz.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #505 on: January 30, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

Im on my droidx at work. :biggrin:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/canalys-android-overtakes-symbian-as-worlds-best-selling-smart/

One day somebody will write a book called "The rise and rise of Android" and this moment will be highlighted in bold. Canalys' latest smartphone sales figures show that Android phone makers managed to shift a cool 33.3 million handsets in the last quarter -- more than any other smartphone platform out there, including the previous leader, Symbian, which sold 31 million units. That's a mighty leap from the 20.3 million Android devices the stats agency estimates were sold in Q3 2010. Symbian itself grew from 29.9m in Q3 to 31m in Q4, but Android's pace of expansion has been so rapid as to make that irrelevant.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
Sure, Android has more than 100 devices in different carriers, where until those dates Apple only had one device and one carrier. It's going to be interesting what those figures say for the Q4 2011.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:05:07 PM by emindead »

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #508 on: January 31, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
doubt apple will gain too much, they still only offer one phone for hipsters.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: January 31, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
Only the hipsters use Apple in the USA?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
well no, but that's the good majority, the starbucks dwellers who buy iphone because they are told it's the best phone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
I think the iphone (at least with AT&T) has seen it's peak. I personally know at least a dozen people who have switched to the verizon Droid phones in the last 6 months.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
well no, but that's the good majority, the starbucks dwellers who buy iphone because they are told it's the best phone.

It's quite amazing really. You can go into a Starbuck's, and far more than 50% of the people there have an Apple.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
Bolded for lulz.
Ha, yeah I guess the only flaw is that when you do it quickly you don't notice when most of the word is right!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Anyone interested in the Motorola Xoom?  I go back and forth between this and the upcoming iPad 2, but currently leaning towards the Xoom.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »

It's quite amazing really. You can go into a Starbuck's, and far more than 50% of the people there have an Apple.

rumborak

Well that's because WiFi only works on Macbooks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a HTC Wildfire. It's the only Android I can afford right now, and I don't need anything fancier. Is it a good phone?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »
currently leaning towards the Xoom.
Is it because it has a barometer? :neverusethis:

I'm thinking about buying a HTC Wildfire. It's the only Android I can afford right now, and I don't need anything fancier. Is it a good phone?
No idea. I would just Google some reviews for it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »
currently leaning towards the Xoom.
Is it because it has a barometer? :neverusethis:

No idea. I would just Google some reviews for it.

Yeah I've been reading up on some reviews, and it seems like most people are happy with it. The only minor flaws are the camera quality and the screen. But that don't bother me one bit. Can't really compare it with an iPhone or the HTC Desire. It seems like a great phone for its price range. I'm most likely going to get one.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: February 02, 2011, 04:14:26 AM »
Just read a review said that the battery life is fairly good compared to other smart phones as well.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #520 on: February 02, 2011, 06:38:12 AM »
we're going to get a big update today, i think android will be releasing their new music player which allows you to stream your own music down to your phones making mp3 players void.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #521 on: February 02, 2011, 07:16:15 AM »
Anybody know of an app that resolves 3x3 matrixes?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #522 on: February 02, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
read up on handycalc, it has a lot of functions but i haven't looked at all of it to see what it has.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #523 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
read up on handycalc, it has a lot of functions but i haven't looked at all of it to see what it has.
I have handycalc, I haven't found anything on 3x3 matrixes.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:02 PM »
Just read a review said that the battery life is fairly good compared to other smart phones as well.

I ordered one tonight, don't think I will get it before the weekend though.