Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 112371 times)

Revenge319, Jamesman42 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1645 on: March 30, 2024, 08:14:34 AM »
He said PBD instead of Viper King as the DoT closer, for which he cannot be forgiven.  :P
I’ve never understood the deal with that track. I know Viper King is listed as a bonus track, but I’ve also seen it on every version of D/T I’ve come across. I was mostly out of the loop for that album’s release cycle. Do people around here/the band not consider it a part of the core album?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1646 on: March 30, 2024, 08:42:04 AM »
I’ve never understood the deal with that track. I know Viper King is listed as a bonus track, but I’ve also seen it on every version of D/T I’ve come across. I was mostly out of the loop for that album’s release cycle. Do people around here/the band not consider it a part of the core album?

Browsing all the releases of DOT on discogs, it looks like the Japanese edition (with OBI strip) did not include the bonus track, and thus, closes with "Pale Blue Dot". It also looks like the Brazilian edition (with O-Card/slipcase) excluded "Viper King" as well. As did the Canadian release (which feels like a slap-in-the-face to JLB, who is Canadian, and wrote the lyrics to "Viper King"), the Mexican release, the Australian release, and the two cassette releases in China.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 08:48:43 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1647 on: March 30, 2024, 09:09:41 AM »
Side note, there's something very intimate and cool about MP referring to MM-era songs with their acronyms, it's like he's been here all along :biggrin:

I thought the same thing.

But then I thought he just couldn’t bear writing the whole thing out.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1648 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:29 AM »
Browsing all the releases of DOT on discogs, it looks like the Japanese edition (with OBI strip) did not include the bonus track, and thus, closes with "Pale Blue Dot". It also looks like the Brazilian edition (with O-Card/slipcase) excluded "Viper King" as well. As did the Canadian release (which feels like a slap-in-the-face to JLB, who is Canadian, and wrote the lyrics to "Viper King"), the Mexican release, the Australian release, and the two cassette releases in China.

-Marc.
I also have the brazilian's edition that ends on PBD, I can confirm that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1649 on: March 30, 2024, 09:31:10 AM »
I thought the same thing.

But then I thought he just couldn’t bear writing the whole thing out.  ;D
Man, you just ruined a beautiful moment! :lol
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1650 on: March 30, 2024, 12:13:12 PM »

It's a bonus track on the digipak edition (I think?). I bought the standard jewel case. It's not on mine.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1651 on: March 30, 2024, 01:17:02 PM »

-Marc.

Lucky lucky Japan, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Australia and China.

I consistently skip that song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1652 on: March 30, 2024, 01:40:11 PM »
Mike on FB:

Today is my last day behind this kit for a while…yes indeed, my drums for #DT16 are done!! But that is just the beginning…work will now continue in the coming months ahead on guitars, bass, keys, vocals, percussion (not to mention writing lyrics, mixing, mastering etc etc)
I really can’t divulge anything more as we are (purposefully) keeping a very tight lid on any & all info at this early stage…but I will say we are all BLOWN AWAY and sooo extremely excited about what we’ve created! We cannot wait for you all to hear this…but patience, all will be revealed in due time…😉😎 #DreamTheater2024
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1653 on: March 30, 2024, 01:41:02 PM »
Mike on FB:

Today is my last day behind this kit for a while…yes indeed, my drums for #DT16 are done!! But that is just the beginning…work will now continue in the coming months ahead on guitars, bass, keys, vocals, percussion (not to mention writing lyrics, mixing, mastering etc etc)
I really can’t divulge anything more as we are (purposefully) keeping a very tight lid on any & all info at this early stage…but I will say we are all BLOWN AWAY and sooo extremely excited about what we’ve created! We cannot wait for you all to hear this…but patience, all will be revealed in due time…😉😎 #DreamTheater2024

My body is ready....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1654 on: March 30, 2024, 02:04:37 PM »
I think another concept album is coming.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1655 on: March 30, 2024, 02:32:44 PM »
#DreamTheater2024

At least that means it's coming out this year. Can't wait to pre-order the limited boxset.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1656 on: March 30, 2024, 02:42:32 PM »
I think another album is coming.

I agree.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1657 on: March 30, 2024, 03:01:01 PM »
Mike on FB:

Can someone explain to me HOW drums are COMPLETED and NOTHING ELSE IS? How does that even work? :facepalm:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1658 on: March 30, 2024, 03:06:06 PM »
Can someone explain to me HOW drums are COMPLETED and NOTHING ELSE IS? How does that even work? :facepalm:
Each instrument is tracked individually, and drums are nearly always first.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1659 on: March 30, 2024, 03:06:28 PM »
Simple: They have demo tracks for the other instruments that will be developed further in the coming months.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1660 on: March 30, 2024, 03:12:37 PM »

This has been how Mike usually does albums he's on. If you've ever watched any of his Making-Of-Docs, be it with Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, or others, he'll almost always track his drum parts not long after writing is done, and sometimes he'll even use the first or second takes from the writing process for the final album. The drums are tracked and recorded first so the rhythmic foundation for each song can be laid out. That way, all the other tracks can sync up to it and fit seamlessly.

Also, who here can CSI-zoom-and-enhance the white board behind Mike?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1661 on: March 30, 2024, 04:26:37 PM »

-Marc.
Oh that's just James LaBrie's food order for the Newark airport burger place.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1662 on: March 30, 2024, 05:09:03 PM »
Oh that's just James LaBrie's food order for the Newark airport burger place.

lol, i'll try the old blade runner "enhance" method later and see what i can't come up with
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1663 on: March 30, 2024, 05:09:50 PM »
weird my post didn't quote both layers so the meaning is lost. known new bug?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1664 on: March 30, 2024, 05:10:33 PM »

New feature. Not a bug.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58913.msg3101433#msg3101433

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1665 on: March 30, 2024, 05:45:20 PM »
In songwriting it is almost always the harmony and/or melody that is written first so it is interesting the drums are totally done before the guitar has said what it is going to say.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1666 on: March 30, 2024, 05:45:53 PM »
New feature. Not a bug.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58913.msg3101433#msg3101433
I use the word "feature" very loosely in this instance  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1667 on: March 30, 2024, 05:53:04 PM »
In songwriting it is almost always the harmony and/or melody that is written first so it is interesting the drums are totally done before the guitar has said what it is going to say.

It's very common to track the rhythm section first (drums and bass) before doing the rest of the stuff that's usually more layered and multi tracked (different guitars, keyboards, etc.). Vocals are usually the last thing to be recorded.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1668 on: March 30, 2024, 05:53:21 PM »
They have demo tracks for the other instruments that will be developed further in the coming months.

The drums are tracked and recorded first so the rhythmic foundation for each song can be laid out. That way, all the other tracks can sync up to it and fit seamlessly.

-Marc.

Got it.! :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1669 on: March 30, 2024, 05:54:34 PM »
The drums are tracked and recorded first so the rhythmic foundation for each song can be laid out. That way, all the other tracks can sync up to it and fit seamlessly.

-Marc.

:tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1670 on: March 30, 2024, 06:25:33 PM »

-Marc.
At first I thought you said white beard.  So I zoomed on in on Jordan..   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gborland

« Reply #1671 on: March 30, 2024, 06:30:31 PM »

Playing drums is easier than playing a real instrument, so obviously they can be recorded in only one or two takes.
Graham Borland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1672 on: March 30, 2024, 07:21:58 PM »

No CSI-zooming, but ASSuming that's the tracklisting, I'm guessing there will be 8, maybe 9 or 10 songs on the new one (if the cymbal is hiding any additional lines). Then again, that could be nothing related to the tracklisting at all.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1673 on: March 30, 2024, 09:30:43 PM »
I don't that is the tracklist, but actually the sections of the last song they were writing. But I also could be wrong  :rollin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1674 on: March 30, 2024, 10:07:09 PM »
I can't read any of those "track" names on the board nor can I make out the Title that's underlined but I'm with Scotty, it looks like it may have 8 tracks as they're numbered and anything else under the cymbal.

Looks like Marlene has heard the album too.

Marlene Apuzzo Portnoy
Congratulations!!! 🎉 it’s such a great album. Can’t wait till it’s completed and released.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1675 on: March 31, 2024, 07:20:44 AM »
It’s got some tear-jerker emotional spots too judging by Jordan’s tissue box.  :'(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1676 on: March 31, 2024, 07:24:55 AM »
It’s got some tear-jerker emotional spots too judging by Jordan’s tissue box.  :'(

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline illusionist

« Reply #1678 on: April 01, 2024, 05:36:44 AM »
Let me share my thoughts here.
Even though i wasn't happy with MP back in the band, now i am excited for the album.
The thing that excites me the most is that they are secretive about it, which reminds me of SFaM. And if they don't even release a single...then i will be quite sure that it's a concept album.
We all have been waiting for something special this time, but also Mike has hinted a few times that it's indeed something special.
So it can be either a concept album, a double album, or something else we haven't yet seen from them.
But since on his latest post he said that now it's time for the band to write the lyrics,amongst others, made me think that now it's the time for the concert to take its final form.
A Metropolis pt3 is the wet dream of most of DT fans, so i would bet my money on it, even though i can't really imagine how the story can evolve further from SFaM.
I also think this might be the most exclusive album in their discography, with maybe a documentary of the writing and recording, and of course the upcoming tour.
I personally hope for a crazy album, progressive, heavy, melodic , with the guitar upfront, and an emotional  concept. In other words a SFaM revisited, but with 8 string guitars this time for their 2024 Dance of eternity instrumental. (Mark my words, i have a strong feeling for this)
Anyways, they have skyrocketed our expectations and have rallied their fanbase, and their upcoming tour is going to be totally crazy.
And i must confess, there wasn't a chance any of these to happen with MM.
As much as i love him, and as much proficient and professional and good guy he is, DT just didn't seem capable to ignite their fans interest like in the past (and with MM they released 5 solid albums, not a bad one)
Plus, their setlists are going to get so much fun, diverse, and unpredictable, unlike their last tours which were becoming stale.
In the end, it's the music that counts and we don't know a thing yet of the new album.
But hey, we all can dream right? 😉

PS. If only James could sing at 70% of his full capability.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1679 on: April 01, 2024, 05:51:07 AM »
A Metropolis pt3 is the wet dream of most of DT fans

Hell no.

Metropolis is my favorite DT song. SFAM is my favorite DT album and possibly my favorite album of all time. Having said that, there is no overarching Metropolis story that needs to continue. Lyrics to part 1 were poetic random lines and the band admitted they tagged it "part 1" for the lulz. SFAM's plot is, ehm, "heavily inspired" by the movie Dead Again, and I mean Stockholm Syndrome-Never Enough level. It took all the awesomeness of the music to distract people from how feeble and forced the lyrical references were.

There is no story and there never was and there is zero need for "Metropolis part 3". What would be even about? how would a song with some musical references to Metropolis sound fresh and not another Shattered Fortess-like mashup?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!