Author Topic: Recorded an EP (POD HD Desktop, ezdrummer, melodic rock/metal/progressive)  (Read 2836 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
So sometime last year I wanted to have something affordable to write/record songs at my home... I decided to go with a POD HD Desktop, ezDrummer(Metal Machine, and pop/rock), and Reaper as the DAW.

I think things are sounding pretty cool and I wanted to show a little preview. I am singing here as well.

The guitars I used: Schecter SGR C7 and PRS Tremonti SE.

Hope you like what you hear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NhtvX3x_viE

Here is the album cover :

Offline ddtonfire

Re: Recorded an EP (POD HD Desktop, ezdrummer, melodic rock/metal/progressive)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
Definitely downloading this when it comes out. What mic are you using for the vox?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Nice choice with the Schecter guitar.   :hat

Did you play an actual bass guitar as well or did you do programmed bass?  Just curious.

Samples sounding pretty sweet  :tup

Offline OsMosis2259

Thanks guys for the feedback and sorry for my delay responding back. I didn't have that much access to the computer over the weekend.
The album will be a free download on March 12th and I'll post the link here!

For the vocals, I used a rode condenser mic(Rode NT1-A)
For the bass I used a "Squier Affinity 5-string bass" 

Offline OsMosis2259

Hey guys,
The album is now available for stream/free download on the bandcamp page. I hope you'll find something here that you like :)

Enjoy!

https://music.burakozmucur.com/album/long-until-gone

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love the colours on the site :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:58:02 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great sound !

What sequencing and mastering software did you use ? :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It kinda reminds me of DTP vs NIN ;)

Offline OsMosis2259

Thanks! I used Reaper (https://www.reaper.fm/) literally for everything. (Recording,mixing,mastering etc).

Then POD HD Desktop for all guitars/bass etc.

Your stuff sounds very melodic! What gear do you use?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey OsMosis, I listened to your EP twice yesterday while working.  It's very dark and depressing  :lol   I don't mean that as criticism.  You did a great job on it, the only critique I really have is I found that the first half of it -or maybe a bit more than half- seems to all run at the exact (or very close to exact) tempo, which I think it could have stood to have a bit more variation.  Otherwise, I thought you did a great job with it.   :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks! I used Reaper (https://www.reaper.fm/) literally for everything. (Recording,mixing,mastering etc).

Les Paul Traditional 2011
Blackstar HT 100
Logic Pro 9
Drumkit From Hell
Line6 UXI Audio Interface - but used the Blackstar for guitar and bass :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Hey OsMosis, I listened to your EP twice yesterday while working.  It's very dark and depressing  :lol   I don't mean that as criticism.  You did a great job on it, the only critique I really have is I found that the first half of it -or maybe a bit more than half- seems to all run at the exact (or very close to exact) tempo, which I think it could have stood to have a bit more variation.  Otherwise, I thought you did a great job with it.   :tup

haha thanks for your feedback/criticism! Much appreciated! The songs turned out pretty dark/depressing but don't worry I am a very positive guy! :lol I think musically I always had more interest in songs with a lot of sad melodies etc so that's probably why it turned out that way :)

Thanks for taking the time to listen :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Les Paul Traditional 2011
Blackstar HT 100
Logic Pro 9
Drumkit From Hell
Line6 UXI Audio Interface - but used the Blackstar for guitar and bass :)

Nice man! You should take a look at the Metal Machine Expansion pack as well for drums! I think it's great :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Thought I'd post this here as well :)

Our fellow DTF poster "OBSCURE", reviewed the album on her website!

https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/burak-ozmucur-long-until-gone/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cool ! I'm not really into "metal" drums.

DFH is just fine for me.

Thanks  :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Uploaded a third song to my bandcamp today :)

Really happy with it.  :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Sounding great! I listened with my "music listening" head phones and I really like the mix especially in the 2nd and 3rd track. I can see why you don't want "metal" drums and you have a unique production here.   :tup

Just curious, will you be adding vocals?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks ! I really am anal with the production. I scrapped a song i'd been working on all day as the snare was too bright ! Ha !!

I've just spent a few minutes re-uploading every song post-mastering and they're fat as f--- now ! :)

Yeah i'll be adding vocals.

My philosophy is : write songs that you can enjoy purely as instrumentals first and then vocals will be the cherry on top :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I basically write out all the drums in DFH. Then I boost the velocity of each hit slightly different. Then I whack the humanise on DFH up on full

and I also click the humaniser in Logic itself which works differently. It makes each hit ever so slightly different quantise and velocity wise.

I then put a touch of distortion on the snare so it sounds less like a sample.

Finally I copy the entire drum track into a seperate two track and add a shit load of room reverb and distortion and have it way low.

All this combined makes it sound quite natural I think opposed to a bunch of samples. :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Thanks ! I really am anal with the production. I scrapped a song i'd been working on all day as the snare was too bright ! Ha !!

I've just spent a few minutes re-uploading every song post-mastering and they're fat as f--- now ! :)

Yeah i'll be adding vocals.

My philosophy is : write songs that you can enjoy purely as instrumentals first and then vocals will be the cherry on top :)

Yeah I noticed that if you like a song instrumentally, then it will work with vocals too :) I scrapped so many songs before adding the vocals because I hated the instrumental haha

Offline OsMosis2259

I basically write out all the drums in DFH. Then I boost the velocity of each hit slightly different. Then I whack the humanise on DFH up on full

and I also click the humaniser in Logic itself which works differently. It makes each hit ever so slightly different quantise and velocity wise.

Finally I copy the entire drum track into a seperate two track and add a shit load of room reverb and distortion and have it way low.

All this combined makes it sound quite natural I think opposed to a bunch of samples. :)

Oh ok yeah I couldn't even tell that you used Drumkit From Hell. You made it sound like something completely different. You seem to do a lot of touches on the drums which is a big reason why it doesn't sound like other ezDrummer users like myself :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
When i say i'm anal about production - I don't mean I want it quantized to buggery with everything glistening.

I mean that I try to make it sound like a band playing even though I did it al myself.

My goal is always to keep it quite raw but polished. Like a band playing and not a pop song.

I also find that having a video maks the song sound better for some reason so i'm just uploading a video from last winter

And putting my song over it. ;D

but yeah - the song i ditched yesterday - it was sounding OK and I get a horrible sort of emptiness inside if it doesn't make me smile when

i listen to it. I kept tweaking the mix and exporting and it was never right so I just binned the entire song and started a new one

which was Radar :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Oh ok yeah I couldn't even tell that you used Drumkit From Hell. You made it sound like something completely different. You seem to do a lot of touches on the drums which is a big reason why it doesn't sound like other ezDrummer users like myself :)

When you first install DFH - you can only write out drums in 2 tracks - Left and Right.

I've set it up so every drum is on a different channel so I can treat each drum individually.

If you had Logic I could send you a template with all the drums on seperate channels :)

Offline OsMosis2259

When you first install DFH - you can only write out drums in 2 tracks - Left and Right.

I've set it up so every drum is on a different channel so I can treat each drum individually.

If you had Logic I could send you a template with all the drums on seperate channels :)

oh ok gotcha. Yeah Reaper has that function too... Separating it all in multi-channels etc. It's def worth doing if you are getting very detailed and want something unique. It's cool that you are going for more of a "human" sound with everything. The popular sound nowadays is that "too perfect" "unhuman" sound especially in modern rock/metal if you know what I mean.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah i cannot stand that tech metal sound.

Everything is robotic. It sounds like they've made drum patterns on a computer that no human can play.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
All the best with your album Osmosis.... depressive music is my stuff for sure  :laugh:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Will download and check it out, good luck bud!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :metal Almost finished my fourth track. That means i'm almost half way done with basic tracks.

Four songs left to record then VOCALS  :sadpanda:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

Curious, but do you use separate tracks for each piece in the kit and spread them in a stereo field?  Or do you just use a single stereo drum track?  Before I started recording with my drummer, when I used to put out "finished" songs with computer generated drums, I would always put every piece of the kit on its own separate track to produce a nice stereo field. 

Offline OsMosis2259

All the best with your album Osmosis.... depressive music is my stuff for sure  :laugh:

Thanks again :)

Offline OsMosis2259

Will download and check it out, good luck bud!!

Thanks for checking it out! I hope you'll like what you hear :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Curious, but do you use separate tracks for each piece in the kit and spread them in a stereo field?  Or do you just use a single stereo drum track?  Before I started recording with my drummer, when I used to put out "finished" songs with computer generated drums, I would always put every piece of the kit on its own separate track to produce a nice stereo field.

The first thing you said but DFH doesn't come like that. You have to manually assign each drum to a different channel.