Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 353158 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #3010 on: January 26, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
Tio, I wish you were an orphaned abused small animal so I could simply go to my local pet shelter and adopt you and spend my remaining days being delighted with your mirth.
;D Oh but I am, I'm an abused miniature bear that got so fed up with being picked on by those god-damn Grizzlys that I stole the serum from Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes and injected myself with it so I could hole myself up in the back of a pet store and browse DTF all day. Save me!  :coolio

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3011 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
*Raises foot* I really want to go to this if only for Opeth (Listened to a few Mastodon songs and...eh, dunno; might have to give them another chance and I haven't heard Ghost at all) but given the aforementioned, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it if they'll just be playing Heritage and Damnation (zzzZZZzz) songs.
What have you heard my Mastodon? Everyone needs a different entry album, if you ask me. And then it all just kind of clicks. And Ghost is pretty cool. Don't care for the vocal style they use too much, but the music is wonderfully doomy.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3012 on: January 26, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
*Raises foot* I really want to go to this if only for Opeth (Listened to a few Mastodon songs and...eh, dunno; might have to give them another chance and I haven't heard Ghost at all) but given the aforementioned, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it if they'll just be playing Heritage and Damnation (zzzZZZzz) songs.
What have you heard my Mastodon? Everyone needs a different entry album, if you ask me. And then it all just kind of clicks. And Ghost is pretty cool. Don't care for the vocal style they use too much, but the music is wonderfully doomy.

LISTEN HERE BUDDY I'M NOBODY'S MASTODON!
... Just a few tracks from the new album. I was intrigued when I kept hearing so many comparisons to Heritage and once I listened I kind of just wondered why they were compared so much. So I didn't really give it too much of a chance but from what I heard I could get into it; but yeah, haven't heard anything except the new album. Any recommendations? It seems the consensus is pretty varied with some people saying the new album is the best, others saying it's great but their favorites are older albums, etc.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: January 26, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Blood Mountain. It's the album that showcases just about everything that makes Mastodon so fucking good. That or Crack the Skye if you want the prog instead.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3014 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Tio, if you're a metalhead that likes Metallica and shit like that you may wanna start with the song March of the Fire Ants and if that works then delve further into the album it's on, Remission. That song was my first exposure to them and Brann Dailor's drumming left me in awe the way he seemingly does a four-minute drum solo while neve taking away from the flow of the song.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3015 on: January 26, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
 :tup Awesome blossom, thanks guys. I'll check out both those albums. Definitely a metal-head; though not so much anymore, if the music is right then I can certainly rekindle that old flame.

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3016 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
To be honest I hope Mikael won't growl on studio releases anymore, I find his current growls pretty subpar. However it would be interesting if they did a heavy album but with 100% clean vocals. I know a lot of people dislike songs along the lines of Porcelain Heart but I would like it. I feel dropping the growls would've been much less controversial had Mikael done it years ago already, on the 3rd or 4th album. But now they've been around for 20 years already and their fanbase is so huge that the new direction faces a lot of criticism. Look at Anathema and Katatonia: both bands went into a more melodic direction after a few albums already and are nowadays best known and liked for their stuff without growls.

As long as they don't record a forced attempt to return to the Still Life/Blackwater Park era, (which I'm sure they won't do) I'll be happy. I enjoy Heritage and if they develop that style with some new elements they may be able to make their best album! :hefdaddy

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: January 27, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
As long as they don't record a forced attempt to return to the Still Life/Blackwater Park era, (which I'm sure they won't do) I'll be happy.
That almost happened with their last album, actually. Mikael said that when writing new material he didn't like the metal based stuff he wrote at all. Thought it was disappointing and forced (I wish I remembered the source), and then he decided to write something he wanted to for a long time; Heritage. I have a good feeling that the next Opeth album will contain growls in the same way that Watershed contained growls, or maybe even Ghost Reveries. Too early to say, since they aren't even writing right now.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3018 on: January 27, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
As long as they don't record a forced attempt to return to the Still Life/Blackwater Park era, (which I'm sure they won't do) I'll be happy.
That almost happened with their last album, actually. Mikael said that when writing new material he didn't like the metal based stuff he wrote at all. Thought it was disappointing and forced (I wish I remembered the source), and then he decided to write something he wanted to for a long time; Heritage. I have a good feeling that the next Opeth album will contain growls in the same way that Watershed contained growls, or maybe even Ghost Reveries. Too early to say, since they aren't even writing right now.

On the making of heritage DVD. Martin mendez didn't like what mikael wrote, "if this is going to be the new Opeth record, I'm going to be disappointed"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3019 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »
It's understandable that a band wants to move forward after 20 years of maintaining a certain sound, but on the other hand the growls have been such an important part of the music.
It's hard to say really, Heritage was really refreshing since it was something new, but I feel like they could shake things up, make music that doesn't sound very Opeth, but still has the mix between harsh and clean vocals.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3020 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

On the making of heritage DVD. Martin mendez didn't like what mikael wrote, "if this is going to be the new Opeth record, I'm going to be disappointed"

Wait... In regards to what was written before changing the music to Heritage, or in regards to Heritage itself?

Well said, Zantera; I hope Mikael finds a sweet spot that melds the two, and honestly I think the next album might surprise us with something along the lines of that. Either that or it's just going to keep getting more obscure and jazz-oriented. I think Storm Corrosion will tell us a lot. But we already have a general idea of what that's going to be so... Maybe he's using this side project as a muse. We'll see. /blindspeculation

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3021 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »
Yeah, I've read that already, he's said it in many interviews. Luckily he had the guts to try something new even though he knew it would disappoint many fans! :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3022 on: January 27, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »

Wait... In regards to what was written before changing the music to Heritage, or in regards to Heritage itself?

To what was written before heritage. He enjoys heritage because he's more in the forefront.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: February 01, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
Just ordered my ticker for the Seattle Mastopeth show. Wasn't going to order online, but the venue they are playing at is half General admission and half seated. I figure GA would sell out fast, and I wanted to be sure that my friend and I (getting the other ticket as a surprise/birthday present) are in the same area during the gig.

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
Got mine too. Though without doubt the best part of the night will be sleeping on Lat's inflatable mattress.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: February 01, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Pittsburgh show, here I come. :)

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: February 01, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
Got mine too. Though without doubt the best part of the night will be sleeping on Lat's inflatable mattress.
Yeah I know, I can't wait.

:neverusethis:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: February 01, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
:jamaritard:
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3028 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
Oh man, I wish I could party with you two again  :-\

I am about to buy my ticket for Denver even though I don't really know the other two bands.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

I am about to buy my ticket for Denver even though I don't really know the other two bands.
If I had the money to fly you the fuck up here and back, I would totally do it. YOU COULD MEET MY PARENTS AND HELP MAKE THEM FEEL REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR FLYING A GIRL OLDER THAN ME UP NORTH.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #3030 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »

To what was written before heritage. He enjoys heritage because he's more in the forefront.

martin mendez, you greedy bastard.  :P

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
I'm okay with it, the bass is one of my favorite parts to most of the songs on Heritage.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: February 01, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
Got my Mastopeth ticket.  So excite.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3033 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

If I had the money to fly you the fuck up here and back, I would totally do it. YOU COULD MEET MY PARENTS AND HELP MAKE THEM FEEL REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR FLYING A GIRL OLDER THAN ME UP NORTH.
:lol

And I got my ticket even though I'm broke as fuck right now and I still need to get plane tickets and shit.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #3034 on: February 02, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
Got my ticket yesterday for Toronto!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3035 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: February 05, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
*see the first few songs*
Me: Yeah big whoop same stuff we saw on the US/Europe tour SNOOZE
*see "In My Time of Need"*
Me: Oh fuck yes I love that song!  You are now forgiven for playing "The Throat of Winter" when I saw you.
*sees 4 of their best and heaviest songs in a row*
Me: HOLY WHAT THE FUCK YOU BETTER PLAY THAT SHIT IN MAY!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
You are now forgiven for playing "The Throat of Winter" when I saw you.

wat

The Throat of Winter is a great song.

• DT.net Member
*Turns in man card for mentioning fuchsia*
« Reply #3039 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
From snorecore to roarcore. Color me a pleasant shade of happy. I'm thinking fuchsia.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3040 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
You are now forgiven for playing "The Throat of Winter" when I saw you.

wat

The Throat of Winter is a great song.

I think so too, though it seems to get a lot of...I wouldn't say 'hate', but dismissals around here.

As for that set-list...that is fucking awesome. I really wish I had the dough to go see both Opeth and Wilson this year but I've seen Opeth three times already so...not too much of a hit. Still, great to know they're playing the metulz.

RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3041 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
I have sort of mixed thoughts on The Throat of Winter.
For starters I think it's a cool little tune. An odd B-side, one of those songs that are fun to have seen live, but not something I would request again. The problem I could see people have with it would probably be that it removes one spot in the setlist for a song they really like.

But yeah, the end of the setlist I linked is just badass.  :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
Its not an awful song, but its not one that makes me think "I bet this would be great live!"  I mean, we got TToW instead of other songs they were playing that tour.  Namely "Patterns in the Ivy II" which I think would be a lot cooler to see. 

But whatever.  We got "Credence."  One song from MAYH is better than no songs.

Speaking of MAYH I may have to revise my top 50 albums, because I think I like that album more than BWP now. 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: *Turns in man card for mentioning fuchsia*
« Reply #3043 on: February 05, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
:caffeine:

From snorecore to roarcore. Color me a pleasant shade of happy. I'm thinking fuchsia.

I'll grab the glow-in-the-dark the body paint.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3044 on: February 05, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »