Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 353229 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Opeth Thread v. NEW ALBUM?!?!
« Reply #1680 on: September 03, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
Heritage is great. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among the rest of their discography, but my first listen of it was very satisfying.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
People saying it's boring is actually getting me MORE excited. :lol

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #1682 on: September 03, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Just listened to it for the first time. Friggin' amazing. Mike's really outdone himself this time. I have a feeling this could top BWP and Watershed and be my new favourite Opeth album.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #1683 on: September 03, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
In my top 3 AOTYs already.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1684 on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
1 listen through and I feel like I don't remember anything that just happened. It just seemed like an entire album of background music. Will have to re-evaluate after a few more listens.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1685 on: September 03, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »
Got my ticket to see them live in the mail today :D :D :D
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1686 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Its pretty good. Almost entirely different than the previous records, so it would be unfair to compare this to any of the past albums.
I have to say that it has an amazing production, especially the drums sound great!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:06:11 AM by ariich »

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1687 on: September 03, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
Very good album. I like it a lot. But after three full listens, that's honestly all I have to say about it for now.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Pinga

« Reply #1688 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
The more I listen to it, the less I like it. I guess Mikael just lost some creative spark between Ghost Reveries and Watershed.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »

Why?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #1690 on: September 03, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
I absolutely love it so far. It's nice and spacious, but busy and jazzy enough to be interesting. The drum and bass work especially is amazing.

I gotta say I don't miss the metal at all on this album, I still have the older Opeth albums, and many other bands, for that.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1691 on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
I absolutely love it so far. It's nice and spacious, but busy and jazzy enough to be interesting. The drum and bass work especially is amazing.

I gotta say I don't miss the metal at all on this album, I still have the older Opeth albums, and many other bands, for that.
Sums up all of my thoughts lol.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

Why?
I just kind of get the feeling that the things many Opeth fans would consider boring are things that I would like. I could be completely wrong, though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1693 on: September 03, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
I'm on Famine right now, really liking it so far.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #1694 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
New album is ok, I hate the new direction. I want old Opeth back...Hoping this is a one shot album and they go back to Ghost Reveries/Deliverance Sound. I'm guessing this album will grow on me as it's been my 3rd play through and I'm liking the songs more. I miss the amazing solos and catchy vocal lines.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1695 on: September 04, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
I think the death metal Opeth is dead for good. Not that I have a problem with it or anything. Can't wait to hear the new album! :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1696 on: September 04, 2011, 04:17:27 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1697 on: September 04, 2011, 04:27:43 AM »
Okay, this is pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30&feature=related

:lol I liked that one. Those Hitler videos never get old (at least the ones that are done well).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:21 AM »
"Now what progressive metal will I listen to? Between the Buried and Me? God no, that band is fucking horrible."

:rollin
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1700 on: September 04, 2011, 05:24:09 AM »
Listening through Heritage for the first time now, some cool stuff.
This will need quite a few spins more to sink in, but I'm liking it so far, and regarding the people who dislikes Opeth trying new stuff, lolthem.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1701 on: September 04, 2011, 06:07:09 AM »
I haven't heard the album yet, so I can't judge, but it just seems that Opeths previous style was so unique and so perfect the way they did it, it would only be making it worse to change it. Obviously I cannot judge this as I haven't heard the album yet, and I'm still really excited for it, I just think thats a reason many are against the change. But I'm just happy Akerfeldt is making what he wants, and I'd rather he make this album if thats what he really wants then to keep going with the old path.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1702 on: September 04, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »
To be honest I'm surprised that it took this long for Mikael to get tired of their sound. :P
I love Opeth and it's no criticism since I love all the older albums, but Opeth were kinda stuck with the same sound for a while (before Watershed at least), and we'll still have all those albums to look back at, I'd rather have something new, then just new songs with the classic formula of heavy guitars, death vocals and acoustic passages in between.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1703 on: September 04, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I really wonder what direction Opeth will go after Heritage.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1704 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:10 AM »
I haven't heard the album yet, so I can't judge, but it just seems that Opeths previous style was so unique and so perfect the way they did it, it would only be making it worse to change it.
This doesn't make sense to me, because it implies that all Opeth albums are superior to anything that isn't Opeth.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1705 on: September 04, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »
I haven't heard the album yet, so I can't judge, but it just seems that Opeths previous style was so unique and so perfect the way they did it, it would only be making it worse to change it.
This doesn't make sense to me, because it implies that all Opeth albums are superior to anything that isn't Opeth.

Well some bands have a unique style that they do extremely well, I didn't mean to imply that it was better than everything else. I meant to say they suit that particular style perfectly, not that that was the "best" style of music.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1706 on: September 04, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I'm all for Opeth trying new stuff, but this new stuff, while having some awesome parts occasionally, sounded pieced-together and unmemorable for the most part to me. I was expecting to love the album since I really dig old-style prog music and such but ah well.

I just wish there could have been more catchy vocal melodies and hooks, more variety, I don't know. It's not a bad album by any means, though. Just... different.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone has an issue with Opeth trying something new, it's just this choice in particular some people aren't crazy about. For such an established band as Opeth, you still have to keep some essence of your sound, because that is the foundation of your fanbase.
People have accepted the softer stuff in the past, because it still sounded like Opeth. People have accepted the heavy stuff with less growls, because it was still clearly Opeth. But this is just a complete departure from their sound. Nobody should be surprised that this move is likely to alienate at least some of the existing fanbase (and in turn will also bring in new and different fans).

What Akerfeldt decides to do from here will be interesting. Personally I hope this was just an experiment and that he returns to some resemblance of metal, because this album is unlikely to get listened to by me in future.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1708 on: September 04, 2011, 08:53:47 AM »
For such an established band as Opeth, you still have to keep some essence of your sound, because that is the foundation of your fanbase.

I disagree.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: September 04, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »
For such an established band as Opeth, you still have to keep some essence of your sound, because that is the foundation of your fanbase.

I disagree.

So you don't think bands need to keep any aspect of what makes them sound like themselves? Abandoning everything your fanbase has been built on is careless and bad business. I'm not saying they need to stick to the exact same formula, but a balance has to be struck, otherwise it becomes self indulgence.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1710 on: September 04, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »
I think the problem with "having to keep some essence of your sound", is that in the end, the band would be making music for the fans, and not for themselves.
Some bands are happy with doing the same stuff for 30-40 years, but most bands aren't, and I think it's natural to progress.
I get that Heritage is much different from their other stuff, but I think it's wrong when fans demand from bands that they should sound in a specific way.

So yeah, earlier albums have had a more distinctive "this is Opeth"-core in their sound, but I do think Heritage had quite a few of those as well, I just think people need to adopt and adjust to how the album sounds.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
Yes, of course it's natural to progress. But progression also implies a gradual process. By essence I don't mean it has to fit within a certain box and remain narrow. That essence evolves with the band over time, it's not something set in stone for the life of the band. The essence of Opeth does not dictate that they must forever be death metal. That's not what I'm trying to say.

Look at Damnation. Not heavy, no growls. But it still had the essence of Opeth in its style and songwriting (at least, to me). For some people the new album will also retain distinctive Opeth qualities, and for some it doesn't.

For some fans heritage has progressed too far for them to like. For some fans it has progressed far enough that it will take some listens to adapt to but will accept and love it, and for some it will still grab them on first listen. It will be different for everyone. I feel that progression should allow the fans to evolve along with the band, even if it takes them some time to adapt.

So I'm really talking about the speed of their progression, rather than defining what their sound "should" be. For me personally, I feel this album is too much of a leap for me to retain interest in them. Others will have no trouble adapting.

I hope that's clearer, because I don't want it to sound like I'm whining because it's not exactly what I want and expect it to be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1712 on: September 04, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

I disagree.

So you don't think bands need to keep any aspect of what makes them sound like themselves? Abandoning everything your fanbase has been built on is careless and bad business. I'm not saying they need to stick to the exact same formula, but a balance has to be struck, otherwise it becomes self indulgence.

Radiohead almost completely changed their sound on Kid A and became even more popular than they already were.  Sure, some fans might have jumped off of the bandwagon, because they were pissed about the lack of guitars, but that is their problem, not the band's.  A true artist makes the music for themselves, first and foremost, not the fans or anyone else.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1713 on: September 04, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
Kev brings up a very good point.
Radiohead were an alternative rock-band, and then suddenly released an album with very little of those typical instruments (guitar, bass, drums),  and Kid A managed to become one of those HUGE albums that people look back on.

I'm not saying that Heritage will get the same status, but it's easy to complain about change when it happens, but maybe with another 2-3 Opeth albums, everyone will think of this transition as something great, something that had to be done, and something that was good for the band. :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1714 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
I think both approaches are completely valid and acceptable. Telling a band what they should be doing is absurd. If someone doesn't like the album, fair enough, but it's just silly to moan about a change in style.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.