Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576842 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1995 on: April 30, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
Glad to help you Tim! :lol

Tim, you have to see Bon Jovi opening up for the Scorps on Love At First sting tour?  That next day i went out and bought the first album.  Same with Queensryche opening for Kiss on the Anilmalize tour.  Next day I went out and bought The Warning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1996 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
Glad to help you Tim! :lol

Tim, you have to see Bon Jovi opening up for the Scorps on Love At First sting tour?  That next day I  went out and bought the first album.  Same with Queensryche opening for Kiss on the Anilmalize tour.  Next day I went out and bought The Warning.

I did. Saw them in Providence. I remember buying the Bon Jovi sleeveless sweatshirt (80's WTF?  :facepalm:) I also bought the album the next day. They put on a great show. The Scorps show was a Saturday night. My buddies and I went out the night before and saw This Is Spinal Tap in the theater! Heck of a weekend for a 15 year old TAC!

I remember the Kiss/QR tour. My parents would let me go all the way out to Worcester yet. I was already into QR by then. I had to listen to WAAF's Concert Recreation! (Remember those?)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1997 on: April 30, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
I was just talking to my friend about the WAAF Concert Recreation!!!  Half deaf from the show listening and blabbing about the show!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
Just got through my first listen of the new Winger and Three Lions and I can't say I'm over enthused about either. 

On my scale (where as a guide 70% would be considered above average and worthy of a listen) I rated Winger at 75% and Three Lions at 67%.

The Winger is undoubtedly a good album - very solid couple of opening tracks but then falls away pretty badly until track 6 (Ever Wonder) which , unusually for me (given it's a ballad), is my favourite on the disc.  So Long China follows which is also very good , then another couple of weaker tracks and the final two are very good and again a ballad shines there.  On the whole I think the slower more atmospheric tracks are great , as are the opening couple of rockers + So Long China , but the rest leaves me a bit underwhelmed. I found Karma much better overall.

Three Lions............well if this is the best Vinny Burns can do after an extended hiatus then he should hang it up.  There's nothing really bad on it , but there's also nothing really good (perhaps with the exception of Kathmandu) .  The song writing is dial-it-in , by the numbers.....whatever you want to call it.   As I was listening to it I had the feeling it really reminded me of something and in the end I think I've figured it out -  it sounds like one of Newman's weaker efforts.  Decent enough but for those with any experience of this type of music over the years it really is mostly derivative shite.  Vinny really doesn't do much on the guitar either , even on the instrumental which is a bore.  Very disappointing.

The LRS album that Kade referred to seems to be getting bagged around the traps but to me that actually has some relatively fresh melodic ideas on it , so it seems we're hearing something in it that others are not.

I really hope a new release grabs me soon or I might just stop bothering - the strike rate (even for bands with a good track record) is abysmal at the moment.  At the very least I'm going to have to start putting more time into trying before I buy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:40:11 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1999 on: April 30, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
I could be listening to the new Winger album right now? I better get on that!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2000 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
I'm listening to that Three Lions album right now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: May 01, 2014, 01:42:17 AM »
Listened (more like skimmed) the new Winger album. As I expected, Rat Race is going to be the best off the album. A couple of other good songs too, but still too much srs stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:07 AM »
The Winger samples didn't over excite me, but I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

I just came home to Three Lions in my mailbox also.  Will post my thoughts are a couple of listens. 

I have the LRS in the car at the moment, and yeah, it's your standard run of the mill Frontiers AOR album, but as Brent said, there some fresh things in here, and the songs flow well and breathe and have a great atmosphere.  It's more on the lighter side, but it works fine, so I don't really have many complaints.  I LOVE La Verdi's voice.  Definitely have to check more of his work.

I also got the Pretty Maids the same time as LRS, but I haven't listened to that one yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: May 01, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
The Winger samples didn't over excite me, but I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

I just came home to Three Lions in my mailbox also.  Will post my thoughts are a couple of listens. 

I have the LRS in the car at the moment, and yeah, it's your standard run of the mill Frontiers AOR album, but as Brent said, there some fresh things in here, and the songs flow well and breathe and have a great atmosphere.  It's more on the lighter side, but it works fine, so I don't really have many complaints.  I LOVE La Verdi's voice.  Definitely have to check more of his work.

I also got the Pretty Maids the same time as LRS, but I haven't listened to that one yet.

Listening to music sounds like your full time job lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2004 on: May 01, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
I like the Winger. It's like a Kip solo album with heavy guitars strapped on but its good. Its no Pull or even In The Heart Of The Young but better than IV and Karma. Maybe.
The LRS was pretty bland to me. Disappointed because I love that 21 Guns album.
The Three Lions I haven't listened to properly yet.

The Paul Laine Darkhorse album is up on Spotify- its not bad if you can stomach the country-isms. Great voice still though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

:lol If only.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2006 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »

Actually Kade, it's not the amount of music that you buy and listen to, but it's your ability to break it all down and remember what's what. That and your open mindedness.

Personally, my ears start to glaze over and I tend to make quick first impression judgements.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: May 01, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
After a few more listens of the Winger album, tracks 1 and 3 are the keepers. 2 good songs from this album, 2 good songs from the last album. Better than nothing. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: May 02, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »

Actually Kade, it's not the amount of music that you buy and listen to, but it's your ability to break it all down and remember what's what. That and your open mindedness.

Personally, my ears start to glaze over and I tend to make quick first impression judgements.

That was my problem also when many new releases were coming at the same time.  These days, I fully concentrate on one full release as much as possible before moving around to others.  It's definitely easier with this type of music than say prog, but it's definitely a challenge. 

It's hard to not be influenced by certain styles when you switch from new release to new release.  That can sometimes be an albums downfall even though, it's not a bad album, something else has pumped you up and put you in the mood for something else. 

Saying that, I have hundreds and hundreds of cd's that I could revisit and they would seem like a brand new album.

After two listens to the Three Lions, I think it's not bad.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it's quite okay.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2009 on: May 02, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
They should put that comment on the advertisements Kade. "Three Lions- It's quite ok"  :lol That'll shift some copies!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: May 02, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
 :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2011 on: May 03, 2014, 12:59:50 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the Toto 35th anniversary BR coming in the mail next week.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2012 on: May 03, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
So, Three Lions. I'm on board with everyone else. It wasn't bad, but there's nothing that really stood out either. It definitely dropped in quality as it went along, too. Least favourites were Two Hearts Beat As One, which sounded like someone had muted the guitar tracks and forgot about it, and Sicilian Kiss, which was just boring. Trouble in a Red Dress and Twisted Soul were the highlights. Despite a lackluster first listen, I think most of this album will grow, so definitely listening to it again soon.

I just started the L.R.S album and Our Love To Stay is giving me very strong Never Walk Away (Journey) vibes. :lol Especially that chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: May 04, 2014, 04:07:56 AM »
So, Three Lions. I'm on board with everyone else. It wasn't bad, but there's nothing that really stood out either. It definitely dropped in quality as it went along, too. Least favourites were Two Hearts Beat As One, which sounded like someone had muted the guitar tracks and forgot about it, and Sicilian Kiss, which was just boring. Trouble in a Red Dress and Twisted Soul were the highlights. Despite a lackluster first listen, I think most of this album will grow, so definitely listening to it again soon.

I just started the L.R.S album and Our Love To Stay is giving me very strong Never Walk Away (Journey) vibes. :lol Especially that chorus.

My opinion of The Three Lions has improved to 'good.'  Agree about the instrumental, what a freakin' load of bullshit that song is. 

There's just great songs and weak songs mixed through which hurts the quality.  Those two you mentioned are the best on the album, but I also like Just A Man (great chorus) and Hellfire Highway.  Don't Let Me Fall is the best of the power ballads.  Everything else can be taken or left.

LRS is still solid, even though it's ballad heavy.  Never Surrender is a direct rip of Robert Sall's Kimball/Jamison song Worth Fighting For.

The Pretty Maids is fantastic.  This band is slowly becoming one of my favs at the moment.  Even though this is a compilation, it's still a solid collection of 12 songs, love it.  Can't wait to see what the boys come up with next.  Looks like I'll have to invest in the rest of their back catalog.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2014 on: May 04, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
I'll agree on Pretty Maids. It's damn solid. Since I don't have the entire back collection, I'm ok with the re-recorded sings... There's only a few that I already had/know.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2015 on: May 04, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Brother Firetribe are back after some 4 years with a new album and video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nXG_jmTBY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »
Night Ranger going a bit country.  :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRty6qwGzI

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2017 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
Night Ranger going a bit country.  :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRty6qwGzI

Great song. Cool solo. Night Ranger are on a bit of a roll, and I was no great fan back in the day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2018 on: May 06, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
New Tesla song sounds pretty good.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tesla-so-devine/

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: May 06, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: May 06, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »

yeah band still sounds good.

Uh huh. Now I'm looking forward to this one.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: May 07, 2014, 04:33:02 AM »

yeah band still sounds good.

Uh huh. Now I'm looking forward to this one.

I've never listened to Tesla before but I must be missing something, as those are some of the worse vocals I've ever heard.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: May 07, 2014, 06:29:49 AM »
I've never listened to Tesla before but I must be missing something, as those are some of the worse vocals I've ever heard.

What the flagnar!?!?!?!  What is this??  I don't even ...

Jeff Keith has a fantastic raspy/bluesy voice.  Sure, he's aged a little (the band was formed in the early 80s, so he's not as good as he was in their hey-day... that's to be expected.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: May 07, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »

What the flagnar!?!?!?!  What is this??  I don't even ...

Jeff Keith has a fantastic raspy/bluesy voice.  Sure, he's aged a little (the band was formed in the early 80s, so he's not as good as he was in their hey-day... that's to be expected.

Yeah, just one of those bands I never got around to checking out.  I don't want to slag him off as a vocalist just from one song, but IMO those vocals were just awful.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2024 on: May 07, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »
Time has not been kind to Jeff Keith's voice.

Wolf, their first four albums are MUST HAVES!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2025 on: May 07, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »

First 3 and 2/3 of BaN certainly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »

Good, so it's not just me then.  I thought I must have been insane.  I'll add Tesla to the list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2027 on: May 07, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »

First, third & fourth and 2/3 of TGRC.  :P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »

This.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: May 07, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
I had always been a fan of Tesla but for some reason just had the best of. Got the first three discs earlier this year and they are out fukin standing