Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62542 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #385 on: May 09, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
Well all right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #386 on: May 09, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
Your number four is my number one. A tremendous album.

Am I the only one who prefers Hard luck woman to Beth? For me it's not even close actually.

I agree as well. I have more KISS CDs than any other band by about double. I must have over 20. It's pretty ridiculous. This thread is quality. :hat
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #387 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »
By way, Coz got the "Calling Dr. Love" trivia; the other answer is "Love Gun" and "Rainbow Rising".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:59 AM »
2. Creatures Of The Night (1982):  Presaged by the four songs from Kiss Killers, this was the return to form after a period of upheaval and misdirection.   The album is still in some ways transitional, as Ace appears on the cover (and even in one of the promotional videos for the album, “I Love It Loud”) but doesn’t play a note on the actual album, but this is where that energy that fueled “Lick It Up” really began.  Vincent Cusano (“Vinnie Vincent”) co-wrote three songs and played lead guitar on six of the nine songs.  Paul is pushing the envelope a little, starting to sing in that higher, more whine-y register (which as I noted, is not my favorite) but songs like “Keep Me Comin’” and “Danger” are very good, and exemplify the best of Kiss at that point.   Having said that, the Gene songs carry the day for me.  Every single one of them is solid for me, and I think of all the members, Gene responds most to the infusion of new blood.   He may not be the best musician in Kiss, but he is the most versatile by a long shot, and he seems to have great (not good, GREAT) songs across the spectrum of the catalogue.  Whether it’s the early, gritty “New York” albums – “Deuce”, the mid-period “disco” records – “Naked City”, “X-Ray Eyes”, the subsequent, non-makeup “L.A.” records – any of the deeper tracks off “Animalize”, the grunge record – “Childhood’s End?”, the “rebirth” record – “Unholy”, or the “reunion” records – “Russian Roullette”, Gene seems to always have something that is on message and that delivers.  Paul may be the brains of Kiss, but Gene is the heart and soul, in my opinion.   This record has survived the test of time for me as few after the “original six” have, and I think the band agrees; “I Love It Loud” is a setlist staple, and songs like “War Machine”, “I Still Love You” and the title track still get played live regularly.  I still listen to this often, and it’s especially good in the car.   The cover is one of my three favorites.   

Trivia:  Who did Gene meet for the first time during the recording of “I Love It Loud”?   What famous actress is the subject of Paul’s song “I Still Love You”?

1. Hotter Than Hell (1974):  Always a favorite, but for various reasons, when I went back and listened, this album grabbed me in a way that was actually a little shocking, even to me.   Unlike the first album, which was more of a “hey look at US!” statement, this was darker, and had an air of urgent desperation borne from months on the road with little impact.   That first side, from “Got To Choose” all the way through one of my favorite Kiss songs (and favorite song on the album) “Let Me Go, Rock and Roll” is for me the standard by which all others are measured.   This, for me, is an album of bests.   Certainly, it’s Peter’s best performance (as a whole), and I can only wish there were more moments on later albums like his borderline-out-of-control performances on “Let Me Go…” and the outro of “Watchin’ You”.   It is, in my opinion, Ace’s best album as well; “Parasite” is probably my favorite of Ace’s Kiss songs (though “Cold Gin” is close), but his soloing on this record is uniformly excellent, and his work on the opener, “Parasite”, “Hotter Than Hell” (the OUTRO!!!), “Let Me Go…” (with the SRV-like slides) and “Strangeways” are all noticeable and noteworthy.   I’ve always been fascinated by “Goin’ Blind” (I can remember thinking “this is WEIRD, but loving it nonetheless), and my lame-o 12-year-old brain thought Paul was a bad-ass among bad-asses for having the chance to bang a married chick.   Side two is still strong, particularly “Strangeways”, and as usual I love the Gene songs, “All The Way” and “Watchin’ You”.  By the way, anyone who questions Kiss as a band – particularly as a live band – you HAVE to check out the video of the show at the Winterland in San Francisco, in January of 1975.  It is INCENDIARY – it really has to be seen to be believed - and shows just how good a band they could be.  Speaking of images, this is also by far my favorite album cover; it’s the first appearance of the “chikara” symbol, which later played a more prominent role in the band’s imagery, ending up on Eric Carr’s bass drum for a while, and the photo shoot itself is the stuff of legend at this point (though a lot of it is fiction).

Trivia:  What are the two “mistakes” on the front cover? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #389 on: May 10, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
Creatures of the Night. :metal

As I said about Hotter Than Hell earlier in the thread, in terms of songs, it's awesome, but the versions of the songs on the album aren't the best, and the production is horrid. I rank it third of the first 6 albums, but it would be second with good production. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #390 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
I love Hotter than Hell. Besides the production, every song is solid. The Winterland concert on the first Kissology box features a nice chunk of this album played live. Great early Kiss performance.

For the two mistakes on the cover, is one of them Paul being so drunk that Peter Criss had to hold him up for the picture? Not sure what the other one is, might have to do with the Japanese characters.

Cool list Stadler!  :tup
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #391 on: May 10, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
HTH is my favorite also.  As far as the cover, the one thing that comes to me right off was something along the lines of Ace getting into a car accident and messing up his face, so they had to do some sort of odd mirror imaging of his face on the cover or something like that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
Well, there are pictures out there with Ace's makeup half on; however, the cover was done in multiple shoots and there are many WITH full makeup.  I believe - though I can't confirm - that the front cover is from the shoot with full makeup.   

As for the back, PAUL was so drunk he had to be taken to the car and locked in for his safety.  Peter claims to have gotten head from the girl in front of him, but Lydia Criss later said that was bullshit.  There's also a cool picture of Gene in costume with the chalice and the flame... but he's in a garage with a car next to him, a work bench and a garage door (you can tell in the picture that it is cropped to fit his image).  There's some great stories about the photo shoot; apparently Norman Sheef threw a big party for the shoot.  It's an interesting Google (there are some shots of Paul looking out of his tits and falling off the bed).

The two mistakes are both on the FRONT cover.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »
As for the "production", I'm not in denial on the sound, but for me, production is not an important criteria except in the most egregious cases.  I have been listening to this album in this form for almost 40 years, and frankly, it would seem odd any other way at this point. 

Kiss Best Sounding Records:
1.  The Elder
2.  Revenge
3.  Destroyer/Rock And Roll Over

Kiss Worst Sounding Records:
1.  Monster
2.  Lick It Up
3.  Hotter Than Hell

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
I'm happy with these being so high. Two great albums and likely to be up there for me too. I ;love side 1 of Creatures. I really can't stand ILIL. Never liked it. Drags the whole of side 2 down as well.
Those drums! Huge.

Hotter Than Hell is just a great album.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
Stadler, thank you a lot! Your review were great!

My TOP 5 would probably be:

5. Kiss
4. Hotter Than Hell
3. Ace Frehley
2. Destroyer
1. Hotter Than Hell
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »
Dude, I love HTH so much, I'd probably put it in my top 5 twice also.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: May 10, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
Dude, I love HTH so much, I'd probably put it in my top 5 twice also.  :lol

:lol

Same here!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #398 on: May 10, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »
Awesome list and great writeups! I agree with so much of your rankings it´s insane.

My favourite solo album has always been Paul´s. I still love the debut album with a passion and Hotter than Hell has always had a special place in my heart. If they´d just gotten good production on that, although it might be some of the attraction.

Man I love this band, this has just been a trip through nostalgia.....  :metal  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Very good pick for number one, I really enjoyed the list overall.  :tup

Confession time - I've never listened to Creatures of the night. I should probably fix that...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Creatures is the album they needed to release instead of The Elder for their career at that moment.

Great write ups Stadler!  thanks for bringing back great memories!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »
The best thing about this is the love for the music, after all the crap they get thrown at them for being a gimmick.nwould never have worked without the songs. And they had them in abundance.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #402 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
Yep, that's my biggest gripe with most people who love to rip on Kiss because it's cool to do so.  They ALWAYS go with the tired "all flash, no substance" bullshit.  And it's just that - bullshit.  Whether or not you like the music is one thing.  To say that they didn't make good music is subjective, but there are more than enough people who celebrate their music to dispense with that tired argument.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
And more importantly, not just one or two good songs, and not just one or two good albums.   You can certainly argue with my list but think about that for a second:  when your top five are virtually interchangeable, AND it doesn't include not one, but TWO fan favorites (Ace's solo and Revenge), that's a pretty strong catalogue.  You have to get to 15 or 16 before you get a REAL clunker (and for me, an apologist, it's more like 20 or even more). 

By the way, guys, any of you that think HTH is a top five album with me, please do check out the Kissology set with the live show from the end of the HTH tour in San Francisco.  It's in black and white, but you get a real first hand chance to see what all the fuss was about. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
Cool picks and a great job with the write ups!

Creatures of the Night is by far my favorite Kiss album.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Nice job, Stadler!

:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
I have the Kissology DVDs. They are great stuff, though I had most of that stuff on bootleg for years.

Hotter Than Hell is easily my favorite KISS album. I love every song. Even the deep cuts like Comin' Home and All The Way. Strange Ways is a Top 5 KISS track for me as well. So freaking cool.

Paul wrote in his Bio (which is amazing BTW) that he wanted to take the make up off for Creatures. I really wish they had. It really is an amazing album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
I found the Paul book fantastic.   To read about Gene being self centered early on to Peter being a raging idiot to Ace being Ace was fun to read and get the incite to the workings of the band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
The only thing I wish the book went more in depth with was his relationship with Gene. To have such a successful career tied to Gene's hip, I found the lack of reference disappointing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
The only thing I wish the book went more in depth with was his relationship with Gene. To have such a successful career tied to Gene's hip, I found the lack of reference disappointing.

It felt like at times he had to prod Gene to work on the music.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
I've read all the KISS autobiographies and enjoyed them all. Peter comes across as a whiny bitch, it's always "the Jews'" fault.
Ace's pissed me off just by the title: he should have regrets, especially the life his daughter will have been exposed to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
I would have no interest in reading Peter's of Gene's. But I did read Ace's. To me, a good bio is when you feel as if it is being told in their own voice, as was Paul's. Ace's was not told in his voice at all. No way Ace talks the way that it reads.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2016, 03:37:39 PM »
I agree with you Tim.  Paul, Peter's was a whinefest.  He's the type of guy that blames everyone but himself. He's his own worst enemy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: May 11, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
It's Game Night at the TACs!

Anyone remember this?

You roll the dice and you can pick up KISS Cards where you follow the instructions. Here are a few:

The goal is to collect as many points as possible, by claiming a city, or collecting Fan Club and Record Store points!

..and after that, we can do puzzles!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #414 on: May 11, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
Awesome!  I never had the game.

I listened to the first album again today, for the first time in a long time.  Holy shit, man, is that a great album.  And the sound on it is freakin' immaculate!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:56 AM »
some of my old KISS cards.  I don't have much other KISS memorabilia - necklace, bandana :metal , badges and souvenirs like a Convention pass etc......but nothing substantial.  We have the modern Kissopoly - I have to remove a few of the cards so my son can play :lol  T-shirts............well I could wear a different KISS t shirt each day for close to a month without doubling up :lol

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »
The problem with Ace's book is that he has no recollection of most items included in it.  The majority of it is stories retold to him by friends and acquaintances.  He says he's working on his 2nd book.  I'm curious as to how that'll work out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2016, 08:36:13 AM »
It's Game Night at the TACs!

Anyone remember this?

You roll the dice and you can pick up KISS Cards where you follow the instructions. Here are a few:

The goal is to collect as many points as possible, by claiming a city, or collecting Fan Club and Record Store points!

..and after that, we can do puzzles!!

Oh I had this game.  Caught my cousin cheating and I flipped the table the game board was on and stomped out the room. :lol

What a drama queen I was.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
I've read the book Kiss and Tell, about Ace, written by Gordon Gebert, who hung with Ace a lot back in the day.  Not a very flattering portrayal, at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
I've thought this before, but after watching the '75 show that Stadler mentions, and spinning Dressed To Kill this morning, what a waste of talent Ace was. He really wasn't a bad guitar player. But he came nowhere close to his potential. And I'd say the same thing about Peter. I mean, does anyone really have a problem with his drumming, especially on those first few albums? And his voice was fantastic.