Author Topic: Fair to Midland v. Jon Dicken leaves (merged)  (Read 37136 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Fair to Midland
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 04:30:53 PM »
new record deal with EoNE Music and album coming Spring 2011.

https://ftm.nov.us/message_details.php?message_id=778

FAIR TO MIDLAND SIGN WORLD WIDE DEAL WITH EONE MUSIC (New York, NY) - Texas natives FAIR TO MIDLAND have signed a worldwide deal with eOne Music. A new album is schedule for the spring of 2011 along with a tour to support it. The band has enlisted producer Joe Barresi (TOOL, QUEENS OF THE STONEAGE, COHEED AND CAMBRIA) to man the board for this next offering. "I've been looking forward to working with these guys for quite sometime. They're a great band whose music is intricate and yet very melodic," says Barresi. The new album will be the band's follow-up to "Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True" which included the popular singles Dance of the Manatee and Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes. "We're all huge fans of what Barresi did with Queens of the Stone Age. We wanted a stellar rock producer and were lucky enough to find one who has managed to find the happy medium between polish and performance,âs says front man Darroh Sudderth. Founded in 1998 in the quiet farm town of Sulphur Springs, Texas, Fair To Midland quickly became one of the Lone Star State's fastest-rising bands, earning critical acclaim for their first two independent releases, 2001's The Carbon Copy Silver Lining and the 2004 inter.funda.stifle. Since the release of Fables From a Mayfly, they have shared the stage with bands such as the Smashing Pumpkins, Flyleaf, Chevelle, Dir en Grey, Alice In Chains, and Serj Tankian throughout the U.S. & Europe. The band has made appearances at festivals such as Coachella, Bamboozle, Download Festival, Rock AM Ring and Rock IM Park. Fair Midland is Darroh Sudderth (vocals), Cliff Campbell (guitar), Brett Stowers (drums), Matt Langley (keyboards) and Jon Dicken (Bass).

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
Why are the two singles from Fables not the best two songs?

Offline j

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »
You mean Walls of Jericho and Kyla Cries Cologne?

-J

Offline faemir

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
The Wife...
Walls of Jericho
Vice/Versa
Kyla Cries

(last two maybe switched)

Offline j

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
Yeah The Wife, etc is one of my favorites too.  Not a huge fan of Vice/Versa though (that's track 3 right?  My Zune tags are all fucked up).

-J

Offline faemir

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
Yeah it's track 3. The chorus is what makes it, especially the line "Where do you get your evidence?".

But The Wife is just all kinds of epic.

I think the album gets a bit shakey after Walls of Jericho though, Tall Tales is great, but I don't like upgrade^brigade (my least favourite, probably the only song I dont like) which usually just makes me restart the album even though i'm listening to Say When now and it's actually great, especailly dat solo.

(Sorry for the , overload, i'm tired/it's late and i'm using all my sentence energy on the novel i'm writing).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
I love Tall Tales and Upgrade^Brigade, actually I think Upgrade is the best song on the album IMO.

Offline faemir

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
What is this I dont even- :P

Now I should really get their previous albums...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »
you still haven't?

Offline faemir

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 06:17:32 AM »
Nope, I just listened to Fables lots and lots and lots.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
well for some of the obsessed like on the fans forum, this was just posted

topic

2 lists there with a list of 15 and 16, but I saw in another thread they plan to record 18 songs.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
I'm just ready for this album to come out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
new album will have 11 songs on it. And it may be titled "Arrows to Anchors"

https://www.youtube.com/user/thirteenfold#grid/user/F3EEBE89EC8DCFC7

there's a playlist of live videos, of likely most of it.

whiskey
musical chairs
a loophole in limbo
rikki tikki tavi
coppertank island
uh-oh
amarillo sleeps on my pillow
bright bulbs, sharp tools
pour the coal to er
bravo sierra
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:43:19 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
Checked these guys out a few days ago (Mayfly album) to see if they were worth seeing with Periphery and Cynic.  The short answer is yes.  I was afraid it was going to be some overly pretentious, artsy-for-the-sake-of-artsiness music based solely on the album title, album art, and track names.  Holy God was I not expecting what I heard.  Really awesome, fresh stuff. 

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
great band just checked them out

Offline j

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »
Checked these guys out a few days ago (Mayfly album) to see if they were worth seeing with Periphery and Cynic.  The short answer is yes.  I was afraid it was going to be some overly pretentious, artsy-for-the-sake-of-artsiness music based solely on the album title, album art, and track names.  Holy God was I not expecting what I heard.  Really awesome, fresh stuff. 

:tup

Haven't heard it in awhile, may be time to give it another listen.  I played it non-stop for a little while after first discovering 'em.  Looking forward to this new album too, if it ever comes out.

-J

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 04:16:29 AM »
Glad you like them!

Also :caffeine: at a new album! I'm not going to check out the live vids of the songs though, would prefer to wait until I hear the real thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
new album is officially titled "Arrows and Anchors" and is expected to be released on June 7th. Same day as new releases from The Dear Hunter and Battles

https://lubbockonline.com/entertainment/2011-03-04/fair-midland-infuses-alt-metal-bluegrass-grooves?v=1299198633

FOR THE AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Alternative metal band Fair to Midland is finally ready to announce that its soon-to-be released album is to be called “Arrows and Anchors,” and will be out by mid-summer on their newly-signed label, E1 Music.

The band began working on the project shortly after its major label debut album,“Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True,” was released.

So why is “Arrows and Anchors” an appropriate title?

“We wanted something simple because all of our other titles have been so long — winded,” Sudderth said. “We also just wanted to keep it simple because after all, you know, it’s a rock album.”

It’s also meant to rock harder, be darker and more truthful than “Fables,” he said. “Arrows and Anchors” hits the mark with its raw imperfections. It’s not as polished as the band’s debut album and that’s the way they wanted it, simple as that.

“I think with this album we really tried to capture our performance and really tried to make it raw and leave in the imperfections. Honestly, I think we chose to keep it more human and real.”

To help them get the vibe they wanted, the band called in Joe Barresi for some direction. The producer is best known for his work with the metal band Tool.

“I know for me personally, it’s been really freakin’ hard on me,” he said. “It has taken so long, you know, because we’ve changed labels, we’ve changed booking, everything...we’ve been killing ourselves making this album.

“Not only that, but I guess technically it’s our second full-length album with a major label,” he added. “You know, the whole sophomore curse thing has definitely been running through our heads. You’ve got like a decade to write your first record and then a lot less for your second. You know, I’m really kind of high strung so, yeah, that’s on my mind every day.”

When asked why he was learning the banjo and mandolin, Sudderth said he wanted to mesh his love of bluegrass and rhythm and blues with the band’s hot metal sound. The new flavor of music he’s attempting to invent bleeds through on the album’s track “Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow.”

“I’m not trying to be the best in the world at it or anything,” he said. “But damn, man, the banjo is like crazy hard.”

Sudderth said that he may one day shed the rock and metal scene and pursue his own brand of country, R&B and bluegrass. But, he added, it probably won’t be any time soon. While he loves traditional country music, he can’t stomach the current country scene. Sudderth said he just doesn’t get it.

“Yeah, I guess I could definitely see myself playing traditional country, but not the contemporary stuff. You know what I don’t get? I don’t understand contemporary Christian or contemporary country. Man, I just don’t get it, but I would love to try something like that, you know, the old country stuff. To be honest, though, as long as I’m playing music, man, I could care less.”
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:53:29 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »
I've been listening to Fables a lot recently and I've really found myself liking it a good bit. I particularly like The Wife, the Kids, and the White Picket Fence, Walls of Jericho, A Wolf Descends on the Spanish Sahara, and Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes a lot, so I'm excited to hear about a new album!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »
June 7th. Same day as new releases from The Dear Hunter and Battles

OH GOD YES
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline faemir

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
June 7th. Same day as new releases from The Dear Hunter and Battles

OH GOD YES

Day after my birthday, and same day as one my exam resit. Well I guess they'll be sitting on my desk for when I get home :D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
go stream "Musical Chairs"
https://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/listen/0,,8771792,00.html

like the new guitar solo. Cymbals clipping in spots? no so much (I hope it's just the stream)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
Yeah the quality of the stream isn't great.

The song sounds amazing though. Huge chorus, nice solo part, some interesting new ideas and I love the brief bits of harsh vocals in the style of Dance of the Manatee.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
Not going to be able to see these guys due to the amount of homework I have and my recent car troubles.  But this new song is pretty awesome sounding!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Wow, that new song is immense.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
Fantastic! Can't wait for the new album.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
The quality isn't great but I like it, although I do prefer the demo version better.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »
Just got back from tonight's show.  Ended early cause Darroh gashed the back of his head open.  Although, to his credit, he did try to power through and sang a few more songs with blood pouring out of the back of his head (even did a few stage dives).  It got the better of him though and they had to cut the show short.  Hope it's not too serious...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
he did, without injury as far as I recall, scale upside the wire near the ceiling at Station 4 in St.Paul. He's sang from high up, upside down, probably at 6 or 7 of the 9 shows I've seen in the last 4 years. I have often wondered if it might catch up with him at some point. Hopefully not any more severely than tonight.

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 05:48:52 AM »
I love Fables, but the production kinda ruins it for me. I really hope that the new one sounds better. I like the comments about making it more human and real. Also it can't hurt to have Joe Barresi as producer. So it sounds promising in that regard. The new song does sound great. Wish we'd get a better quality stream for that.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:49 AM »
Yeah, he didn't do any climbing this time, but I think that was only because there wasn't really anything to climb.  He did quite a few stage dives into a relatively thin crowd though, and was spinning all around the stage.  I'm not even sure how he cut his head... I think it might've been when he spun right into Cliff's guitar.  The next song up was Dance of the Manatee, and they brought out Periphery's singer to do it, then Darroh took over again and sang a few more, but he was obviously in pain.  He kept saying "my head hurts" and sounded really dazed - even moreso than usual.  He wiped the back of his head with a paper towel and it was very visibly covered in blood.  After which he tossed the bloody paper towel into the crowd.  Eventually he just kinda left to the surprise of the rest of the band.  They were actually in the middle of tuning up for the next song and Cliff looked over and was like "Uhh... sorry.  I guess that was our last song".

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
That sounds like a really bizarre gig. He really should be more careful than that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
It was.

This was one of Darroh's stage-dives AFTER he had split his head.  Video quality isn't great, but you get the idea.  He takes off at about 0:50 into the clip.  (I didn't take this video, but you can kinda see the top of my head towards the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp1Y9ePnsvk

We also sang Happy Birthday to Cliff.  The show ended right after this.  Everybody sung, they all picked up their instruments to get ready for the next song, then they realized Darroh wasn't coming back and just stopped the show.  Notice at about 10 seconds in you can see Darroh on the left side trying to figure out if his head is still bleeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLmX1fOxlw

He also had a pretty wicked gash on his left elbow.  I noticed it earlier in the night and it looked like a partially-healed would, but by half-way through the show it had re-opened and he had blood running all up his arm.  Dude is crazy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:17:41 AM by ZeppelinDT »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »

1.   "Heavens to Murgatroyd"  0:46
2.   "Whiskey and Ritalin"     
3.   "Musical Chairs"     3:32
4.   "Uh-Oh"     
5.   "Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow"     
6.   "A Loophole in Limbo"     
7.   "Typhoid Mary Sends Her Best"  0:58
8.   "Short-Haired Tornado"     
9.   "The Upset at Bailey Bridge"     0:54
10.   "Rikki Tikki Tavi"     
11.   "Golden Parachutes"     
12.   "Bright Bulbs and Sharp Tools"     
13.   "Coppertank Island"     
14.   "Three Foolproof Ways to Buy the Farm"     2:49
15.   "The Greener Grass"   10:58

Man, I really can't wait for The Greener Grass, ugghhh.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
Awesome artwork and I can't wait to hear the album. I was a little disappointed with that album stream of Musical Chairs (only when compared to the powerful demo) but this album will surely be one of my favorites of the year.