Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57907 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #945 on: October 23, 2023, 07:14:30 AM »
I'm italian but I've never been to Naples and the Amalfi coast. You're gonna beat me to it  :lol

Four days in Rome should be enough for the "greatest hits". If you want to enter the Coliseum, tickets can be bought only online, you won't find any there at the place. Don't miss highlights such as Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and avoid tourist-traps restaurants  :D and if you have time, try and get lost wandering around the Trastevere neighbourhood, it's basically a small village within the city!

I just got back from Switzerland and Italy. I spent two nights in Rome and had this for a view. We were in the dead center of the space. It was pretty cool.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #946 on: October 23, 2023, 07:46:58 AM »
I'm italian but I've never been to Naples and the Amalfi coast. You're gonna beat me to it  :lol

Four days in Rome should be enough for the "greatest hits". If you want to enter the Coliseum, tickets can be bought only online, you won't find any there at the place. Don't miss highlights such as Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and avoid tourist-traps restaurants  :D and if you have time, try and get lost wandering around the Trastevere neighbourhood, it's basically a small village within the city!

I just got back from Switzerland and Italy. I spent two nights in Rome and had this for a view. We were in the dead center of the space. It was pretty cool.

That's awesome! Similar view to the place we stayed in Paris last year.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: October 23, 2023, 07:57:05 AM »
In about a month I am going to be travelling to Perth for my cousin's Wedding, and since I am flying via Singapore I'm going to stop by for a few days on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations for either place?

In Singapore, there are a couple of gardens that are really nice. The botanical garden has a orchid section that is gorgeous, and then close to Jurong lake there is a Chinese garden that has a bonsai section which is stunning. The gardens by the bay are a must for me and I recommend going at night and watching the lights show. There are several Buddhist temples and mosques (the sultan mosque in particular) that are really beautiful and are worth visiting.
As for Perth, my only recommendation is that you try to not get killed my the many dangers in Australia.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #948 on: October 24, 2023, 10:15:39 AM »
In Singapore, there are a couple of gardens that are really nice. The botanical garden has a orchid section that is gorgeous, and then close to Jurong lake there is a Chinese garden that has a bonsai section which is stunning. The gardens by the bay are a must for me and I recommend going at night and watching the lights show. There are several Buddhist temples and mosques (the sultan mosque in particular) that are really beautiful and are worth visiting.
As for Perth, my only recommendation is that you try to not get killed my the many dangers in Australia.

It's okay, I'll be bringing my own beer to Australia. :P

Thanks for the recs!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: October 26, 2023, 05:12:46 AM »
In about a month I am going to be travelling to Perth for my cousin's Wedding, and since I am flying via Singapore I'm going to stop by for a few days on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations for either place?

I am from Melbourne and off to Perth next month to see Steve Vai in concert (he is playing on November 11)

You may be interested in taking a ferry from Perth to Rottnest Island to see some Quokkas (Very cute animal)

Have a great trip!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #950 on: October 26, 2023, 08:55:48 AM »
*googles Quokkas*

...yes. Yes I may.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:13 AM »
Oh a cute version of an opossum  :lol an australian creature that isn't going to kill you

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: October 26, 2023, 10:36:07 AM »
Fun fact: Death due to wildlife in Australia is about 25 people a year. Conversely, about 1000 Americans a year die by suffocating in or being strangled by their bedsheets.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #953 on: October 26, 2023, 10:38:23 AM »
Fun fact: Death due to wildlife in Australia is about 25 people a year.

But how many WISH they were dead after an encounter?   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #954 on: October 26, 2023, 07:54:18 PM »
Fun fact: Death due to wildlife in Australia is about 25 people a year. Conversely, about 1000 Americans a year die by suffocating in or being strangled by their bedsheets.
But that's because Americans are dumb...........I can say that because I am a dumb American....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: October 26, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »
Conversely, about 1000 Americans a year die by suffocating in or being strangled by their bedsheets.

That's kind of a blanket statement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #956 on: October 26, 2023, 07:57:45 PM »
Conversely, about 1000 Americans a year die by suffocating in or being strangled by their bedsheets.

:jamaritard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #957 on: October 27, 2023, 01:29:51 AM »

I'll allow it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2023, 05:20:59 AM »

The problem with these kind of comparisons, (other than setting up TAC with a slow pitch) is how many wildlife deaths would Australia have if there were nearly 400 million people living on the continent? Every statistic will go up with larger sample sizes.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online faizoff

« Reply #959 on: October 27, 2023, 07:58:11 AM »
*googles Quokkas*

...yes. Yes I may.

Wow that thing is cute. I wouldn't mind being killed by it.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #960 on: October 27, 2023, 08:17:23 AM »

The problem with these kind of comparisons, (other than setting up TAC with a slow pitch) is how many wildlife deaths would Australia have if there were nearly 400 million people living on the continent? Every statistic will go up with larger sample sizes.
The bigger problem with it is that the bedsheet related fatalities (and it's 800 not 1000) are almost entirely infants, and they don't really count. A few really old invalids thrown in, to boot. Steve Irwin wasn't going to be killed by his sheets (unless it was some kind of sex thing).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #961 on: October 27, 2023, 08:21:38 AM »
Back to travel, amongst the regular travelers here, what hotel loyalty programs are people using? I've been using Wyndham for a while, but I might be switching over to Marriott for a variety of reasons. People use branded CCs, or just get the points from stays?  Anbyody here get all The Points Guy and collect a variety of branded cards? The fact that BonVoy is a Chase travel partner certainly makes a difference for me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: October 27, 2023, 08:22:09 AM »
So are Aussie sheets safer than American sheets? 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: October 27, 2023, 10:26:24 AM »
Back to travel, amongst the regular travelers here, what hotel loyalty programs are people using? I've been using Wyndham for a while, but I might be switching over to Marriott for a variety of reasons. People use branded CCs, or just get the points from stays?  Anbyody here get all The Points Guy and collect a variety of branded cards? The fact that BonVoy is a Chase travel partner certainly makes a difference for me.

We've been Marriott owners for 20 years. We have an automatic 2 weeks every year at the Marriott Mountainside in Park City Utah. That being said, we've only ever stayed at that property a handful of times. Most years we bank the weeks for points that we've used all over the world either through Marriott directly for for a transfer fee of about $75.00 through Interval International. The merger with Bon Voy has opened up even more opportunities for good accomodations.

Marriott properties aren't for everyone, but we've always enjoyed the large rooms and kitchens since we prefer to cook for ourselves.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #964 on: October 27, 2023, 10:30:10 AM »

We've been Marriott owners for 20 years. We have an automatic 2 weeks every year at the Marriott Mountainside in Park City Utah. That being said, we've only ever stayed at that property a handful of times. Most years we bank the weeks for points that we've used all over the world either through Marriott directly for for a transfer fee of about $75.00 through Interval International. The merger with Bon Voy has opened up even more opportunities for good accomodations.

Marriott properties aren't for everyone, but we've always enjoyed the large rooms and kitchens since we prefer to cook for ourselves.
You have their card, or do you just stay enough to earn mucho points?

As for their properties, it seems they actually apply standards to all of them. There's a consistency there that you don't get with Wyndham. My guess is that they do inspections and will yank somebody's branding if their hotel doesn't cut it, which keeps people in line. They do cost a bit more, but not by a lot, and the rewards program is pretty typical. 
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #965 on: October 27, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
The bigger problem with it is that the bedsheet related fatalities (and it's 800 not 1000) are almost entirely infants, and they don't really count. A few really old invalids thrown in, to boot. Steve Irwin wasn't going to be killed by his sheets (unless it was some kind of sex thing).

Well he did end up dying from being penetrated.

In any case, the point was that as far as cause of deaths go, Australian wildlife still a pretty minor one compared to a lot of other more mundane causes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: October 27, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
I'm the highest tier of status (Diamond) with IHG.  Mostly due to work trips staying at holiday inns / holiday inn expresses.  I've had this status for almost 9 years in a row now  :lol I have no experience with the other brands to compare.  I think IHG generally are viewed as lower tier, but they have grown a lot by purchasing high end hotel brands over the 9 years.  So there's a lot of really nice hotels if you want that experience with the brand now.  I've always enjoyed IHG though.  You can find their hotels almost anywhere and the rewards have mostly been pretty good.  I'm sitting at 660k points with them, but I'd have a whole lot more if I hadn't started burning my points the last two years and work travel has slowed down.  They keep devauling the points (I don't think that's IHG specific) so I'm less inclined to hold onto these points long term.  I used to be able to stay at the Venetian in Vegas for example for a fraction of the points needed today. 

I did end up getting a low level IHG credit card for one reason.  I get a free night every year with the card and the yearly cost is only $50 so I see that as a highly discounted night each year basically.  I also do get points and whatnot for that card, but other than using it to book IHG hotels, there's no special value to it over my chase credit cards.  I do enjoy the chase rewards system quite a lot with their %20 off travel using them.  I've gone on many "free" trips by using my chase points for a flight (and still get United miles by doing that) and burning IHG points on a room. But then again, now I'm sitting on 500k United miles so I need to start burning those as they've also been devauled so much.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #967 on: October 27, 2023, 11:07:24 AM »
Points from everybody are constantly being devalued. I rarely use them but need to start making a concerted effort to do so for that reason. And if our government does intervene to "protect" us by "unburdening" Home Depot and Best Buy from their transaction fees, they'll be devalued to pretty much nil. 

That Chase thing is partly why I'm knocking around Marriott. In truth I've never found their 20% off marketplace to be much of a value, mostly due to AA being king in Dallas. United and Delta are afterthoughts here. And, I can do better going straight through Avis Preferred. Being able to kick those points to SWA or Marriott would be helpful, though.

Also, the Marriott card is $90/yr, but comes with an anniversary bonus that's good for two nights at respectable hotels. And of course the multiplier for booking with it.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #968 on: October 27, 2023, 11:16:49 AM »
Going here for our 29th anniversary tomorrow.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LgbcARyToBsQXpcq9
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online faizoff

« Reply #969 on: October 27, 2023, 11:26:28 AM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: October 27, 2023, 11:29:02 AM »
Points from everybody are constantly being devalued. I rarely use them but need to start making a concerted effort to do so for that reason. And if our government does intervene to "protect" us by "unburdening" Home Depot and Best Buy from their transaction fees, they'll be devalued to pretty much nil. 

That Chase thing is partly why I'm knocking around Marriott. In truth I've never found their 20% off marketplace to be much of a value, mostly due to AA being king in Dallas. United and Delta are afterthoughts here. And, I can do better going straight through Avis Preferred. Being able to kick those points to SWA or Marriott would be helpful, though.

Also, the Marriott card is $90/yr, but comes with an anniversary bonus that's good for two nights at respectable hotels. And of course the multiplier for booking with it.

Oh that's pretty good (considering I thought one night at 50 was good).  As for the 20% off via chase, it's great for United flights because it allows me not to pay my own money, get a cheaper rate, AND (most importantly) still earn United miles as they treat it the same as a cash purchase unlike if I were to use miles on a trip.  Using some booking sites for hotels and other airlines may find better deals than the 20% otherwise.

Having said all this, my work travel is slowing down.  I don't expect to keep my status after next year so it will allow me to try different options going forward.  In many ways, I'm very cool with that.  Keeping myself tied down to one family of brands has it's draw backs too.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: October 27, 2023, 11:29:42 AM »
Going here for our 29th anniversary tomorrow.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LgbcARyToBsQXpcq9

Really cool! Congrats on the anniversary and have fun

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: October 27, 2023, 11:34:12 AM »
Sorry, Barto, I must have misunderstood the question. We have a Marriott timeshare.

As for cards with points, we only have Delta Amex, which we use for travel expenses. The points for our regular travels usually add up to free 1.5 - 2 hour round trip flights per year. Nothing special, but better than nothing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #973 on: October 27, 2023, 11:56:50 AM »

Oh that's pretty good (considering I thought one night at 50 was good).  As for the 20% off via chase, it's great for United flights because it allows me not to pay my own money, get a cheaper rate, AND (most importantly) still earn United miles as they treat it the same as a cash purchase unlike if I were to use miles on a trip.  Using some booking sites for hotels and other airlines may find better deals than the 20% otherwise.

Having said all this, my work travel is slowing down.  I don't expect to keep my status after next year so it will allow me to try different options going forward.  In many ways, I'm very cool with that.  Keeping myself tied down to one family of brands has it's draw backs too.
Oof, looks like I misunderstood. It's actually one free night up to 35k points, rather than 35k points. Also, the signup bonus is 3 nights up to 50k rather than 150k. No point making things simple for people. Bastards. :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: October 28, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »

My wife travels 40 weeks a year and is the highest status for both mariott and hilton and her opinion is that Hilton points are easier to earn and you get more nights for your points but on the whole marriott is nicer.

She is also executive platnium with American Airlaines and when I fly with her I feel like flying with a celebrity :lol. I'm often left in the back while she is bumped to first class.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: November 21, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »
So, I'm toying with the idea of spending my birthday in Iceland (late February) to try my luck to see the Northern Lights. I don't really know if I want to be in a remote area or just stick to Reykjavik.

Just hoping someone can give some suggestions on where to stay. Is it worth renting a car or should I just stick to the city?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: November 21, 2023, 01:32:48 PM »
My gf and I were talking about doing Iceland in 2024, but with the volcano apparently about to erupt, we both said this week that Iceland doesn't seem likely for us in 2024.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #977 on: November 22, 2023, 02:10:57 AM »
Volcanos erupting in Iceland are like earthquakes in Japan. They call it Tuesday over there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: November 22, 2023, 07:27:09 PM »
My gf and I were talking about doing Iceland in 2024, but with the volcano apparently about to erupt, we both said this week that Iceland doesn't seem likely for us in 2024.

My wife and I had the exact same conversation :lol.

We had already started planning our trip.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #979 on: November 23, 2023, 08:54:36 AM »
Volcanos erupting in Iceland are like earthquakes in Japan. They call it Tuesday over there.

...and speaking of Japan, I am spending a week there between Tokyo and Kyoto in the first week of December. This is my first trip there since early 2020, or literally right before the COVID outbreak. Everything was locked down the week after I left Japan last time.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020