Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 110336 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #455 on: December 26, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
Soooo I'm dumb and was putting in the symphony disc .... haha my fault for not looking at which was which.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #456 on: December 26, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
 :lol Good to hear.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #457 on: December 26, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
How old is your wii? I heard a lot of older wiis have problems playing dual layer discs, which I'm assuming SS is since there is a lot of shit in the game. I'd contact Nintendo, because when my disc drive broke a few years ago they fixed mine up for free, even though I modded my wii with homebrew.  :P

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #458 on: December 26, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »
WAY TO READ BIG Z

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #459 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »
WAY TO READ BIG Z

:lol Didn't see there was another page

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #460 on: December 27, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
When I first put SS in my Wii I think it did a system update. Maybe make sure you're connected to the internet...

Edit: Didn't see other page. Kinda drunk.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
The orchestral disk is awesome! Only got the game yesterday, so not so far in (loved the intro and swordfighting so far though!) but listening to the orchestral disk now and it's great. The Wind Waker medley <3

Just listened to Gerudo Valley  :o :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:23:26 PM by TheVoxyn »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
Either I really suck at video games or I have too much fun roaming around doing nothing. I've been playing (according to the game) for 21hrs and I just finished the mine lol

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #463 on: January 03, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I've got the CD in my car and I've got my new golden Zelda controller and I'm loving them both. 

As for the game itself?  So far it's turning out to be pretty typical.  I'm sooo glad I don't have to ride a train or a boat.  I've just entered the 3rd area, the sand mines.  I found the 2nd boss (the earth temple boss) pretty cool but pretty easy. 

I like how you get more hearts when you die.  It makes the game easier.  Also the guide (forget the name) is WAY less annoying than Midna.  AND actually helpful. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #464 on: January 03, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
I find Fi to be TOO helpful. She talks way too much and sometimes spoils things I would rather have figured out myself.

I still haven't beaten SS because I can't get myself motivated to play often. I think I'm right before the last dungeon.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Okay, I beat it. The time travel concepts in this game hurt my head. ;)

SPOILERS

Overall, I'd give Skyward Sword a 7. A good game, but not what I look for in a Zelda game. My favorite part of the Zelda series is actually not the dungeons, but just the whole getting lost in a world, exploration, and the sense of adventure. The sky in this game really needed more stuff to do, and the surface should have been more than a bunch of obstacles leading to a dungeon. At least put another town down there for one of the non-Hylian races.

The repetition of having to go to the same three environments got old, and so did having to fight The Imprisoned three times (even more if you do Boss Rush). There's also an odd lack of enemy variety: so many Bokoblins. Not to mention the constant text about things you already know. "You got a Blessed Butterfly! Here's what it is! Now let's go to your item screen and show how many of them you've collected!" Or "This is red potion! It fills bla bla bla hearts and you should get it for your adventure bla bla bla."

Anyway, I did like the Kikwis and Mogmas. I think the Sandship was probably the best dungeon.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
The sky in this game really needed more stuff to do, and the surface should have been more than a bunch of obstacles leading to a dungeon. At least put another town down there for one of the non-Hylian races.

The repetition of having to go to the same three environments got old, and so did having to fight The Imprisoned three times (even more if you do Boss Rush). There's also an odd lack of enemy variety: so many Bokoblins. Not to mention the constant text about things you already know. "You got a Blessed Butterfly! Here's what it is! Now let's go to your item screen and show how many of them you've collected!" Or "This is red potion! It fills bla bla bla hearts and you should get it for your adventure bla bla bla."

Anyway, I did like the Kikwis and Mogmas. I think the Sandship was probably the best dungeon.

I agree with everything you said here except for the ship being the best part. That was one of the weaker dungeons imo, there was hardly anything to the whole dungeon, and I didn't even realize it was a dungeon until I got the map.  :lol It felt like most of that "dungeon" was just doing a bunch of side quests up until you get to the actual ship.

But the enemy variety bugged me as well. Once you figured out the key to each enemy, the game got a lot easier because they stopped introducing new enemies after the first couple of dungeons (and the new ones they introduced were very simple to beat... like the magma hand you pour water on or the bird you beat by just grabbing onto its tail). Still, with all of that said, I really loved this game. I think if they added a few more enemies and made another area to explore (ice maybe?) it would have been perfect.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
Yeah, an ice/snow area would have been good. I liked the Sandship because, although small, it made me think, and I guess I just like ships in general.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
I just completed the first dungeon and so far I really love it. The beatle is awesome!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: January 15, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
So I just thought of this yesterday in my battle with this dude:

He is totally a video game version of Johnny Weir - look him up if you have to haha

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #470 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
That comparison makes me FURIOUS! OUTRAGED! SICK WITH ANGER! :biggrin:
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #471 on: January 15, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »
:clap:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
That comparison makes me FURIOUS! OUTRAGED! SICK WITH ANGER! :biggrin:

Because you might get convicted of a hate crime by playing the game?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this already, the "Making of" for the 25th anniversary mural, but it never ceases to amaze me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZAZ-aRltw

I just wonder how it is that visual artists, especially in such an epic undertaking as this, can "see" the picture as they're drawing it. This either took some insane planning or nothing short of artistic genius.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this already, the "Making of" for the 25th anniversary mural, but it never ceases to amaze me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZAZ-aRltw

I just wonder how it is that visual artists, especially in such an epic undertaking as this, can "see" the picture as they're drawing it. This either took some insane planning or nothing short of artistic genius.
:hefdaddy

Wow, every time I see this it's amazing all over again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #476 on: February 19, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
So I picked up SS about two weeks ago, finally. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I just got to the Lanayru Desert. So far I'm enjoying it. I will say that the game is especially difficult for me since I'm left-handed and my right hand dexterity is pretty crummy. It's hard for me to fight some enemies with the sword, but I'm getting used to it. It took me about five or six tries to beat the boss of the first dungeon. I can't switch hands either, since over 20 years of video game experience has told me "Dammit Pete you can only control a character with your left thumb!!" Otherwise, good game. Great graphics, and I found myself more interested in the characters this time around, as opposed to Twilight Princess where the only character I felt had much personality at all was Midna.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #477 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
So I picked up SS about two weeks ago, finally. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I just got to the Lanayru Desert. So far I'm enjoying it. I will say that the game is especially difficult for me since I'm left-handed and my right hand dexterity is pretty crummy. It's hard for me to fight some enemies with the sword, but I'm getting used to it. It took me about five or six tries to beat the boss of the first dungeon. I can't switch hands either, since over 20 years of video game experience has told me "Dammit Pete you can only control a character with your left thumb!!" Otherwise, good game. Great graphics, and I found myself more interested in the characters this time around, as opposed to Twilight Princess where the only character I felt had much personality at all was Midna.

The characters are pretty fun this time aound. Controls were waaaaay confusing for me at first, haha, took me forever to get the hang of it..

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #478 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
Started playing Oracle of Ages for the first time. Haven't played any of the handheld Zelda games except for Minish Cap, which I didn't greatly care for. I am enjoying OaA and look forward to playing OoS next.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #481 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
Started playing Oracle of Ages for the first time. Haven't played any of the handheld Zelda games except for Minish Cap, which I didn't greatly care for. I am enjoying OaA and look forward to playing OoS next.

Both games are great, but despite expanding so much on the Link's Awakening formula I'm still not sure if they can match that game. Of the Oracle series I enjoyed OoA slightly more, even if that game has some bitch-hard puzzles. OoS is more action-based and is probably the most old-school of all the modern Zeldas (by "modern" I mean OoT and later.)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #482 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
They surpass Link's Awakening and then some. Well, except in the story department. The end of Link's Awakening was almost heartbreaking as a kid. Best games in the entire series. I hope we can get back to that kind of gameplay again someday. Screw Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I don't want to play with a freaking touch screen.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #483 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
Just got screwed out of a really nostalgic Link's Awakening session. I lost my save file so it's not even worth trying to get back to where I left off.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:05 AM »
Just got screwed out of a really nostalgic Link's Awakening session. I lost my save file so it's not even worth trying to get back to where I left off.

Managed to do it to myself again. I had gotten so much farther this time too, which is really disappointing.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
Anyone else really love The Minish Cap? It's one of my fave Zelda games.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: February 26, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »
After putting about 35 hours into skyward sword (I'm almost finished with the game), I must say that the controls are really frustrating me to the point where I almost don't want to play anymore. And it doesn't help that I messed up the Floor puzzle thing in Sky Keep and now have to find some way to restore an earlier save so I can start the dungeon over. The game is good, but the controls really suck. I can't play a game if the controls for it are the worst I've ever played.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #487 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
After putting about 35 hours into skyward sword (I'm almost finished with the game), I must say that the controls are really frustrating me to the point where I almost don't want to play anymore. And it doesn't help that I messed up the Floor puzzle thing in Sky Keep and now have to find some way to restore an earlier save so I can start the dungeon over. The game is good, but the controls really suck. I can't play a game if the controls for it are the worst I've ever played.

How did you mess that up? I haven't heard of any bug relating to that, so I'm pretty sure you can still pass that dungeon with your current save.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
Anyone else really love The Minish Cap? It's one of my fave Zelda games.

Major love for the overhead view games here, and MC is no exception. It has to be the easiest Zelda game in history though. I never died once during my first run through. Still great though. Vaati is an awesome villain.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #489 on: February 26, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

Both games are great, but despite expanding so much on the Link's Awakening formula I'm still not sure if they can match that game. Of the Oracle series I enjoyed OoA slightly more, even if that game has some bitch-hard puzzles. OoS is more action-based and is probably the most old-school of all the modern Zeldas (by "modern" I mean OoT and later.)
OoA and OoS are two of my favourite games ever. I never quite finished the whole game (as in, finish one then finish the other with that code you get), but have some great memories of the boss fights. I did OoA first, then OoS.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations