Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 110339 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
I wholeheartedly believe this series is worthy of its own discussion thread.  The first videogame I ever owned was Ocarina of Time, and to this day, the series remains a personal favorite.  I absorb it all: the games, the manga, the music, all (and part of me wishes there was a Zelda anime).

So who else is a fan? :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
the games, the manga, the music, all (and part of me wishes there was a Zelda anime)

Incredible series of games. I have yet to play a Zelda game I didn't enjoy immensly, despite the over-used formula. (Note: I have not played The Adventure of Link)

In fact, I think I'll start a new file on Twilight Princess tomorrow :laugh:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
I've played all of them except for Phantom Hourglass (out of the main series of course), and I have no plans to play Spirit Tracks.  Unfortunately Adventure of Link kinda sucked, because it had such a huge emphasis on stats building.  You can't really get anywhere unless Link is at an unnecessarily high level, which is frustratingly difficult to achieve with weak monsters and few means by which to heal yourself.

Out of all the Zelda games I've played, I've probably only beaten half of them:

Legend of Zelda
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Minish Cap
Twilight Princess

I got *oh-so-close* with the Oracle series and Wind Wanker.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »
I've recently bought and played through Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and much enjoyed them both. Ocarina of Time still remains my favourite game of all time though. I still don't like Majora's Mask though. I've played through part of A Link to the Past, and that's been ok so far.
Twilight Princess was really good, but my main problem with it was that many of the items were almost useless outside of the dungeons, and the music was just nothing. But it was still a really good Zelda game with a dark atmosphere and a lot of nice innovations, like the double hookshot.
Wind Waker was a really good game, and the dungeon design was probably a bit better than Twilight Princess, but the game was way too short and far too much of the game was just sailing. I was expecting the triforce quest to be some break before doing another 4 dungeons, but that was it. The entire last 3rd of the game was sailing. WTF there.
And Majora's Mask lost me with the whole 3 day cycle thing, and it felt very recycled, but I want to play it through some day anyway.

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Twilight Princess
3. Wind Waker

4. Majora's Mask
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I'd have to say OoT and TTP are probably the best in the series, and that's probably cuz (1) they're the games that took themselves the most seriously, and (2) they have the most epic feel to them.  Nothing really says adventure like having all of Hyrule to explore with dozens of regions and provinces, and being able to do it on horseback.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
OoT is the greatest single player video game ever. nuff said.
I kind of abandoned my Windwaker game, but will probably get back up on the horse again, especially once winter comes around.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:01:27 AM »
I recently went on a %100 attempt spree (getting all hearts, items, upgrades, bottles, gold skulltulas/fairies/medallions).
I've beaten all the Legend of Zeldas except for Phantom Hourglass and my %100 completion list so far is:

Legend of Zelda
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages

I'm still working through Majora's Mask. It's that damn heart piece that you need to deposit like 1000 rupees in the bank to get.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 12:05:34 AM »
That's crazy.  I feel like the original LoZ and the Oracle games would be impossible to complete 100%.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
The most emotional moment in ANY video game for me has been watching the sun go down over Hyrule Lake (in TTP). One of the best games I've ever played, if not THE best. :heart
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:19:13 AM »
I've recently bought and played through Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and much enjoyed them both. Ocarina of Time still remains my favourite game of all time though. I still don't like Majora's Mask though. I've played through part of A Link to the Past, and that's been ok so far.
Twilight Princess was really good, but my main problem with it was that many of the items were almost useless outside of the dungeons, and the music was just nothing. But it was still a really good Zelda game with a dark atmosphere and a lot of nice innovations, like the double hookshot.
Wind Waker was a really good game, and the dungeon design was probably a bit better than Twilight Princess, but the game was way too short and far too much of the game was just sailing. I was expecting the triforce quest to be some break before doing another 4 dungeons, but that was it. The entire last 3rd of the game was sailing. WTF there.
And Majora's Mask lost me with the whole 3 day cycle thing, and it felt very recycled, but I want to play it through some day anyway.

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Twilight Princess
3. Wind Waker

4. Majora's Mask

Lol, Majora's Mask is only 4 dungeons.

5 technically, there are 5 main bosses. But I won't get into that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 05:50:04 AM »
Everyone knows that though...

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »
I've played Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Ocarina of Time is the only one that I enjoyed and have completed. I have completed it several times though :hat

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
I have very fond memories of playing Link's Awakening on my old Gameboy and beating it on my own with no help.  One of my prouder gaming moments when I was young.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:14:33 AM »
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite game series. I love these games to death. Both the 2d and the 3d games are awesome.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »
There was a Zelda anime, wasn't there?

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 06:42:53 AM »
There was a Zelda anime, wasn't there?
Yea. Although it's probably really bad :p.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 06:48:44 AM »
I don't really consider it anime because 1) it was American-made, and 2) it used American-style animation.  So no, there hasn't been an anime series yet.  But indeed, the cartoon sucked.  Everything that was bad about Saturday morning cartoons in the 80s (not to say they were bad, but the things that were bad about them), compiled into one piece-o'-shit toon.

There is a pretty entertaining fan-made anime series online though called Zelda: Unknown Origins.  It's a nice twist on the old story, and it features a lot of Naruto-style combat.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:18 AM »
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are two of my favorite games ever.

The latter especially is so interesting because of all the possibilities it offers within the three day framework. For example, the Kafei side quest where, depending on what you do each day, you earn different items, masks and change the course of their relationship.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 07:13:25 AM »
I feel like a lot of people don't even realize how dark a storyline that game has.  I mean sure there's that whole "impending doom in 3 days" bit, but there's like this intangible, inexplicable third level that I sorta figured out from observing the lives of the Terminans.  The fact that all these people's lives are in collective shambles in this game and the fact that the end is nigh are no mere coincidence.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »
Here's a good read on the game for those interested: https://www.edge-online.com/magazine/time-extend-zelda-majoras-mask

My favorite paragraph:

However, for most, what they remember of Majora is its people. The repeating cycle of three days and three nights allows the game to introduce you to the citizens of Termina in an organic and believable way. Rather than being met by lumps of text or awkward speeches, you find out about people by seeing how they live, meeting them as they circle again and again through the last few days of their lives. Even the most incidental characters – the town guards and the officious Deku traders – let slip little human details which add enormous emotional weight to the game. And, as Link does his rounds, his place in the gameworld changes. At the start, you are the very definition of an outsider, wandering lost and wordless around a strange and uncaring town. By the end, you are privy to everyone’s most personal secrets. You know what they’re going to do next even before they’ve decided for themselves. Saving the world is the easy bit. You’ve done that in nearly every videogame you’ve ever played. In Majora’s Mask you save the world by saving the world’s people, one flawed, fragile and fascinating person at a time.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:46:56 AM »
That was a good article, actually.  Persuaded me to watch the perfect ending again.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »
Majora's mask is the only 3D zelda that I never finished. I might need to start again when I come back from vacation  :metal.

Offline j

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to play too many video games over the past couple of years, but this series is one I'll always MAKE time for.  Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, and the original Legend of Zelda are all among the best games of all time.  However, I have enjoyed all of the other games in the series as well.

Interesting and true posts about Majora's Mask by Super Dude and TheOutlawXanadu.  I always got a strange, eerie, ominous vibe from that game, and I think it was probably due to observing the people as they faced their certain and impending end.

-J

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
I've had the urge to play through OOT and MM again. I've played OOT so many damn times (especially the last encounter with Gannondorf/Ganon) but it just never gets old. It's one of those N64 games in which even after playing modern games the control scheme still feels natural.

As for Majora's Mask, I only played through it once and I was fairly young. I really remember loving it though. It was an incredibly dark game (that Edge article was really good).

I have Wind Waker and I've played about 1/5th of the game but as of now I have no means of playing it (Gamecube is at another house, don't have the classic controller for Wii).

I could never get into the 2D Zeldas. I don't know if it was just a factor of how young I was at the time or what but they just confused me more than anything.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »
I've played Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. The only one I've actually finished is Wind Waker. And I hated Majora's mask. The three day thing annoyed me to no end.

I'm not the biggest fan. I have lots of respect for the series but they haven't really ever been my cup of tea. If I'm going to play a RPG I'd rather play a Final Fantasy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
I've only played and beaten Link's Awakening. I really liked that game, and actually beat it a few times.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Damn, I remember playing Link's awakening for the first time, that game was the shit back on my Gameboy Colour (deluxe edition anyone? Bomb arrows anyone?). Remember the cave you could find, and grab either the red or blue tunic? Flame/Water resistance, or something the like. I'll have to go find a used copy of it sometime. My only complaint, after playing LttP, is that they based it on an inferiour 2D engine. Obviously they couldn't put that engine on the GBC, but I wish they'd do a remake for the DS.

In any case, from what I remember Link's awakening was one of the quikier games. The beginning involved being turned into a racoon, having to find a mushroom to cure yourself, and gathering 8 musical instruments in order to serenade the *snip*. Makes me want to play again, talking about it :D

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
Everyone knows that though...

Wow, way to be an ass.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
...Except that it's true?  It's fairly obvious that the Moon's the 5th.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
Or, the point I was trying to make was that if he disliked Wind Waker for being so short, he may feel the same about Majora's Mask.

Offline moonflower

• EZBoard Elder
  • rawr
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
Ocarina of Time was on the N64, so I must have been pretty young. My brother bought it, and I thought it was a really cool game, but i found it so hard, i'd do a bit, then get stuck for ages, then come online and look up how to do it, then go on to the next bit, do some, get stuck and repeat it!  :lol
I'd love to re-play it now and see if i find it any easier. Sadly he gave away the N64. Massive mistake considering he owned Banjo- Kazooie and i always wanted to replay that game!
When you are the moon, there is a person people say is the sun. I saw the sun once, and he came past me, really fast. And it was an, it was called, the, an eclipse. And he came fast! But as he came past, I, I licked his back. And he doesn't know I licked his back. All on his yellow suit.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
I've beaten Minish Cap, both Oracles (and the special extra ending thing), OoT, MM, Awakening, and Wind Waker. I've gotten *very* close to beating Link to the Past (I was in the last level). I've never beaten Twilight Princess because I don't have a Wii, and even if I could find the GCN version my Gamecube doesn't work. Never beat either of the NES ones though >.>

...my name is Araragi.

Offline j

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
I've had the urge to play through OOT and MM again. I've played OOT so many damn times (especially the last encounter with Gannondorf/Ganon) but it just never gets old. It's one of those N64 games in which even after playing modern games the control scheme still feels natural.

That's true, but if you think about it, the N64 kind of *started* the whole "modern control scheme" that has been used by most consoles since, up until the Wii.

I'm not the biggest fan. I have lots of respect for the series but they haven't really ever been my cup of tea. If I'm going to play a RPG I'd rather play a Final Fantasy.

To each his own (my brother plays a ton of video games but just can't get into the Zelda series), but I've never considered Zelda games RPGs in any sense.

-J

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
It's fair to say that playing the Legend of Zelda on the NES back when I was a kid helped get me in to console video gaming. Like most of my other friends, I was really in to arcade games and remember going to the local laundrymat to play Mario Bros. (no, not Super Mario Bros, I mean just Mario Bros.)

Adventure of Link – Felt more linear (Go to point, A, get object 1, go to point B, etc…) I played through most of this game recently and it just didn’t feel like a Zelda game

Ocarina of Time = I can’t praise this game in any way that hasn’t already been done. This game has the best balance between the primary and the side quests.

When I first played Majora's Mask, I found it really hard to get going. Only when I revisited it later on did I realize that was sort of the point: To get immersed in the MM world before embarking on Link's quest. The 3-Day aspect didn't bother me, and the dungeons were awesome. My only complaint, and it is pretty significant, is that I found many aspects of the game to not be intuitive at all.

I was fairly disappointed in Wind Waker, I felt like I was just going around from one place to another, without really understanding or getting in to the quest. I didn’t like the story, but that didn’t bother me. When I got to Ganondorf, I did have a feeling that “This is it?”

I’ve really been wanting to play Twilight Princess but haven’t felt like investing in a Wii.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 01:07:17 PM »
Eh, I don't like the Zelda games too much. I usually need walkthroughs to get past the exploration aspect, and at that point I just stop caring.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH