Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 125202 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. A. Brown orchestrates his way to the Patriots
« Reply #770 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
Well Ben’s done for the year. It was a GREAT ride but it’s time for the Mason Rudolph era to begin. I suppose Ben could try to come back next year but he’d be 38 and has a lot more miles and hits on him than Brady has.

Nothing really matters as long as Tomlin is the coach. He gave the game away at least 3 times yesterday with bone-headed decisions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: September 16, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
What strikes me in your write up is how many of those include the phrase "not against good teams" or a variation on that.   I think you can count the unequivocally GOOD teams on one hand, maybe stealing a finger or two.  There are far more NOT GOOD teams in the league, by at least a multiple. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #772 on: September 16, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »
What strikes me in your write up is how many of those include the phrase "not against good teams" or a variation on that.   

I think you may be giving that too much weight.  Yeah, I did say it twice, and maybe implied it two other times.  But there is also some overlap in the teams I considered "not very good."  And there are only six of those teams total (Jets, Giants (x2), Redskins, Bucs, Bengals (x2), and Steelers [without Ben and AB]).  Are you telling me you think that labeling 6 out of 32 teams as "not very good" is an unrealistic assessment?  I don't think it is, and I think the opinions that most if not all of those 32 teams are "not very good" will likely be borne out as the season progresses.  Heck, they're already all 0-2, so going by the purely objective measure that they haven't yet won games this season certainly puts them on the "not very good" track.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #773 on: September 16, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
If the injuries to their offensive line aren't severe this could very well be the best team Belichick has fielded. That should scare everybody. I have to assume that at least one of their receivers will implode along the way, but this was an elite Patriots team with just one elite WR around. This is a solid offense with a much better D. And the good news is that with the best O-line coach in the NFL, I'm really not terribly concerned about that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
What strikes me in your write up is how many of those include the phrase "not against good teams" or a variation on that.   

I think you may be giving that too much weight.  Yeah, I did say it twice, and maybe implied it two other times.  But there is also some overlap in the teams I considered "not very good."  And there are only six of those teams total (Jets, Giants (x2), Redskins, Bucs, Bengals (x2), and Steelers [without Ben and AB]).  Are you telling me you think that labeling 6 out of 32 teams as "not very good" is an unrealistic assessment?  I don't think it is, and I think the opinions that most if not all of those 32 teams are "not very good" will likely be borne out as the season progresses.  Heck, they're already all 0-2, so going by the purely objective measure that they haven't yet won games this season certainly puts them on the "not very good" track.

No, I was going the other way, that the number of "not very good" is shockingly high.  I'm a fan of "any given Sunday", but if you really look hard, there are a handful - and not more - of really good teams, but the bulk of the teams in the NFL are, in my opinion , skewed towards "not very good".   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #775 on: September 16, 2019, 01:29:33 PM »
If the injuries to their offensive line aren't severe this could very well be the best team Belichick has fielded. That should scare everybody. I have to assume that at least one of their receivers will implode along the way, but this was an elite Patriots team with just one elite WR around. This is a solid offense with a much better D. And the good news is that with the best O-line coach in the NFL, I'm really not terribly concerned about that.

Yep, I agree with all of that.  Regarding the offense, I had a fun thought earlier.  This is a really dumbed-down way of looking at things, but still:  As much of an undeniable superstar as Brady is, somebody else on the team played better in last year's SB to earn the MVP.  That guy is still on the team.  WITH BRADY.  And now, they have somebody else on the team who is arguably even better than THAT guy. 

No, I was going the other way, that the number of "not very good" is shockingly high.  I'm a fan of "any given Sunday", but if you really look hard, there are a handful - and not more - of really good teams, but the bulk of the teams in the NFL are, in my opinion , skewed towards "not very good".   

Oh, okay.  Yeah, I'm not sure I'd say that there are that few good teams, but I don't disagree with the overall sentiment.  Obviously, it depends on where you draw the line for "really good team."  But most seasons, I kind of feel like there are an average of about 5 really good teams per conference.  All things playing out in a pretty typical fashion, it usually shakes out along the lines of:  3 good division winners (one division winner of the 4 just making it in because they were in a weak division), 1 really good wildcard team (the other not generally as good), and one really good team that just misses the playoffs just due to some tough breaks, injuries, or maybe just having a slow start and not really putting things together until too late in the season. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Not really kidding here:  this Cleveland/NYJ game is like watching Div. II college.

The announcer - Booger MacFarland? - keeps saying "Adam Gase, you're Adam Gase!  Be creative!"   It's hard to be creative when you're struggling with basic blocking and tackling.   

And if I'm a Cleveland fan, I'm drinking heavily; one play Baker Mayfield looks like he's playing with a blindfold on, and the next he's throwing this tight spiral 30 yards downfield on a string, looking like John Elway. Then, the blindfold is back on.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
  And if I'm a Cleveland fan, I'm drinking heavily

Again, why do you have to repeat yourself?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2019, 08:34:09 PM »
I've been drinking heavily.

And LITERALLY as I'm writing all that, Mayfield tosses it to OBJ who takes it 89 yards to the house.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #779 on: September 16, 2019, 08:43:01 PM »
And just like the Rams, it takes a post from you on DTF to get the offense in gear. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #780 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:38 PM »
That was ugly... it felt like the Jets were just trying to get the game over with from the start. What a treat for Monday Night Football  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #781 on: September 17, 2019, 08:13:22 AM »
I actually picked the Jets to win at home and they don't need QB problems to play badly.  :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: September 17, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
Is the Eli Manning era over in New York?  It might be premature to put the final nail in, but my Magic Eight Ball says "All signs point to yes".

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27636024/giants-bench-eli-elevate-jones-starting-qb

Online pg1067

« Reply #783 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:23 AM »
Does anyone listen to the TNF/MNF broadcasts on Westwood One Radio?  The sports talk station I listen to occasionally switches over to those broadcasts when I'm driving home, so I hear some of the pregame stuff.  Two things absolutely baffle me.

First, there is some guy who does drops who sounds like he's trying to imitate Tony the Tiger if Tony were drunk and a creepy pervert (as opposed to a non-creepy pervert, I guess).  Low, extremely gravelly voice.  I have no idea who he is, but he makes me laugh.

Second, they do these spots where Jim Grahe interviews Tom Brady.  It's so obviously scripted and milquetoast.  Yesterday, they had Joe Namath on with them and talked about how Brady had recently watched the first MNF broadcast between the Browns and Jets.  Brady washed Namath's balls something fierce.  At that point I changed the station.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
I believe your first point is about Kevin Harlan. He is indeed great with a brilliant sense of humor. He had the epic call of that streaker a while back.

https://youtu.be/Wopy6Ntd834
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online pg1067

« Reply #785 on: September 17, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
I believe your first point is about Kevin Harlan. He is indeed great with a brilliant sense of humor. He had the epic call of that streaker a while back.

https://youtu.be/Wopy6Ntd834

No.  The guy I'm talking about isn't Kevin Harlan (whom I also like).

I did some googling, and it seems like it's someone named David Lee:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXU7mIFSn_Y
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #786 on: September 17, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
-Buffalo:  Pretenders.  I can't say they'll be "bad" this year.  But they've only played the Jets and Giants.  They won't be undefeated very deep into the season.
I heard a crazy stat yesterday.

The Buffalo Bills are now one of only 4 teams in NFL history to have successive road wins against the Jets and Giants.  All 3 previous such teams made the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything.  I'm just saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #787 on: September 17, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Too bad the Bills will have those 4 consecutive SB losses hanging over their heads until the end of time. :lol  Imagine them actually getting back to the SB and the amount of pressure to actually win it.   :omg:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #788 on: September 17, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Imagine them actually getting back to the SB...
See, this is the part where I'm having difficulty.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #789 on: September 17, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
 :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #790 on: September 17, 2019, 03:36:51 PM »
Guess who the 3rd winningest QB on Buffalo's home field is?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: September 17, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #792 on: September 17, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Frank "queen of the" Reich?  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: September 17, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
 :lol

Nope.  Here is a hint.

🐐
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #794 on: September 17, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #795 on: September 17, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
LOL Tom Brady :lolpalm:  Duh...shoulda known that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: September 17, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #797 on: September 17, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Can't help but wonder whether he went on Etsy.com to try to find a nice little shadow box to display those.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: September 17, 2019, 04:19:14 PM »
The boxes they come in are insane.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #799 on: September 17, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »
On a related note, guess who’s the career leader in wins at the Browns’ home stadium?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »
The new stadium Dream Team?

If so, I'd say Big Ben.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #801 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
This Jets season is going great so far...
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #802 on: September 20, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »
Another awesome TNF matchup last night. :slowclap:  :yeahright

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #803 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:20 AM »
Oh the irony. Brady complaining about too many penalties and that tricky-tack roughing the passer call last night, considering last week a ref told a Dolphins player to “stay off Tom” and then of course that horrendous shot he took from Jones in last year’s title game that totally changed the game  :facepalm:.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: September 20, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
Brady has nothing to do with rule changes unless it benefits 31 other teams.  LOL