Author Topic: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)  (Read 11276 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
I don't have a lot of use for Derek, but he was correct when he said this:

A lot of prog music is bad composition obfuscated by quirky time signatures and goofy lyrics
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2023, 11:48:22 AM »
I see what Derek meant to say. I don't think he said that he doesn't like prog AT ALL, just that he isn't a fan of the "classic prog" genre as a whole. But I understood that he likes a lot music that is actually very much related to prog, like fusion, or some of the more acessible/coolest prog songs, like Yes's Roundabout, as an exemple that he gave.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2023, 10:26:02 AM »
As usual, the headline is misleading.  If the first two guys Derek thinks of are Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman, and "Roundabout" by Yes is the first song he thought of, then he doesn't hate prog or anything; he just doesn't revere it the way progheads do.  And that's totally understandable.  He's always struck me as a more straight-on rock and roll guy, with chops and patches that might lead more toward fusion than prog.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
And what if he doesn't really like prog? Steven Wilson doesn't like prog either, doesn't stop him from making great music that sometimes happens to be very proggy.

And yes, Derek's more of a rock guy in general.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2023, 04:29:24 PM »
And what if he doesn't really like prog? Steven Wilson doesn't like prog either, doesn't stop him from making great music that sometimes happens to be very proggy.

Since when? The man has worked on classic Yes albums, and didn't he also do work on some King Crimson albums too? And didn't he say that he'd only work on stuff he was interested in. He may not like all prog, but to say SW doesn't like prog is completely untrue, AFAIK.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kram

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2023, 05:07:54 PM »

Since when? The man has worked on classic Yes albums, and didn't he also do work on some King Crimson albums too? And didn't he say that he'd only work on stuff he was interested in. He may not like all prog, but to say SW doesn't like prog is completely untrue, AFAIK.
Yeah, he obviously likes some prog at least.  I think his issue is he doesn't want to be labeled as strictly a prog artist. He wants to be David Bowie or Prince lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2023, 12:07:47 AM »
Yup, and he's listed Floyd as one of his favourite bands.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2023, 12:29:47 AM »
Obviously my post was meant kind of tongue in cheek.

Steven Wilson does like (some) progressive rock (just like Derek Sherinian). But he's gone on record many times, that he doesn't like to be labelled progressive rock (even if he's doing it).

And he's mentioned in interviews (I'm paraphrasing here, don't remember his exact words) that bands like Flower Kings, Transatlantic and I think he mentioned Dream Theater also, are the death of progressive music, because they aren't covering new ground.

To quote from his book: "I certainly love a lot of progressive rock, but equally a lot of it means very little to me and I reamin relatively immune to the charms of bands like Genesis and Emerson, Lake and Palmer ... it's also fair to say that some of the dullest music I have heard has been nominally 'progressive rock', music that reminds me that the last thing some musicians and listeners want from progressive rock is for it to actually progess"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2023, 05:37:49 AM »
Obviously my post was meant kind of tongue in cheek.

Steven Wilson does like (some) progressive rock (just like Derek Sherinian). But he's gone on record many times, that he doesn't like to be labelled progressive rock (even if he's doing it).

And he's mentioned in interviews (I'm paraphrasing here, don't remember his exact words) that bands like Flower Kings, Transatlantic and I think he mentioned Dream Theater also, are the death of progressive music, because they aren't covering new ground.

To quote from his book: "I certainly love a lot of progressive rock, but equally a lot of it means very little to me and I reamin relatively immune to the charms of bands like Genesis and Emerson, Lake and Palmer ... it's also fair to say that some of the dullest music I have heard has been nominally 'progressive rock', music that reminds me that the last thing some musicians and listeners want from progressive rock is for it to actually progess"

I'm assuming that is Wilson talking; his remix/remaster work belies that, though.   I think Genesis and ELP are the only ones he DIDN'T touch in some form or fashion, no?

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2023, 06:27:25 AM »
Steven Wilson is nothing if not a bit hypocritical in what he says and what he does.

And for that remix work he gets paid. So while he probably doesn't want to touch records he loathes, I imagine he will remix records he can tolerate when the pay is right. So I'm not sure if that is a valid indicator of what he likes and what not.

Online devieira73

Online devieira73

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2024, 02:14:02 PM »
It's just a fan art.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2024, 03:14:26 PM »
I'm actually genuinely excited about this band, this could be everything SOA tried to be but didn't achieve. We'll see.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2024, 03:31:42 PM »
Steven Wilson is nothing if not a bit hypocritical in what he says and what he does.

And for that remix work he gets paid. So while he probably doesn't want to touch records he loathes, I imagine he will remix records he can tolerate when the pay is right. So I'm not sure if that is a valid indicator of what he likes and what not.

It’s funny because he recently mentioned that he remixed GNR’s Use Your Illusion albums, and that he wasn’t a fan or very familiar with them before but came away with an appreciation for them afterwards.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2024, 07:15:03 AM »
I'm actually genuinely excited about this band, this could be everything SOA tried to be but didn't achieve. We'll see.

Same here.  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2024, 08:56:21 AM »
Shame they didn't call themselves Grandsons of Apollo...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2024, 09:59:21 AM »
Shame they didn't call themselves Grandsons of Apollo...

Apollo's Second Cousin Twice Removed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2024, 10:25:21 AM »

Online devieira73

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2024, 11:45:29 PM »
Welp... that was sludgy and remarkably mediocre.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline emtee

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2024, 02:15:13 AM »
It's OK I guess. Fairly predictable. Certainly AMOB'ish, like I expected to take one in the face somewhere in the song. Not writing them off yet though. Let's see what song #2 sounds like.

Online devieira73

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2024, 05:54:46 AM »
This song is very much in line with SoA. Sure, with a different drum feel, a stronger voice and a bit more influenced by Derek solo albums. Cool song, curious about the rest.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 06:03:42 AM by devieira73 »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2024, 05:58:22 AM »
Insanium?  ???

Didn't Tater have a wine a few years back with the same name???

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2024, 06:49:22 AM »
I liked the intro and the Vai-ish guitar solo. The rest did nothing for me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2024, 08:16:31 AM »
Well, in my humble opinion, this feels like a sequel to SoA, and that's not exactly throwing a party in my ears. Given the awesome vocalist they've got, I was secretly hoping for a different vibe. But nope, it's like this dude is on a mission to channel Soto's voice, which was my second roadblock to fully embracing SoA. Derek's less-than-friendly attitude was the first hurdle, in case you were wondering.
Fingers crossed the rest of the album takes a detour to a more exciting destination!

Offline Kocak

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2024, 08:21:41 AM »
"A more keyboard-heavy Sons of Apollo with vocals better suited to my taste" would be my take on this. Also, with mini-Portnoy not being there, the mix isn't very drum-forward. I prefer this bass tone to Sheehan tone.

Online HOF

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2024, 08:41:06 AM »
Personally, I want more In the Name of War.*

*This is a joke. Haven't even heard the song yet.

Online devieira73

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2024, 09:26:10 AM »
Just more information about the album, from InsideOutMusic:

Whom Gods Destroy, the formidable new progressive metal group formed by keyboardist Derek Sherinian, guitarist Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, and vocalist Dino Jelusick, along with the potent rhythm section of bassist Yas Nomura and drummer Bruno Valverde, are pleased to announce their debut album “Insanium”, to be released on March 15th, 2024 worldwide via InsideOutMusic.

The album’s pre-order in its various formats has started today here: https://whomgodsdestroy.lnk.to/Insanium

Here is the complete tracklisting for the upcoming album, which comes with artwork by Nello Dell’Omo.

Whom Gods Destroy - “Insanium” (52:56)
1. In the Name Of War (06:38)
2. Over Again (05:01)
3. The Decision (07:08)
4. Crawl (06:36)
5. Find My Way Back (05:46)
6. Crucifier (04:43)
7. Keeper of the Gate (04:54)
8. Hypernova 158 (03:24)
9. Insanium (08:37)

Check out the first single “In The Name Of War”:  https://youtu.be/8Ie77apU0RA

Whom Gods Destroy’s “Insanium” album will become available as Standard CD Jewelcase, Digital Album, Ltd. 2CD Mediabook (with the bonus track “Requiem” (04:58) as well as the entire album as bonus instrumental disc) and as Gatefold 2LP & LP-Booklet on 180g. vinyl in the following variants:
- Black 2LP
- Dark Green 2LP (Ltd. 500x copies from www.insideoutshop.de & various other retailers)
- Custard Colored 2LP (Ltd. 1000x copies at all US outlets)

Further updates on Whom Gods Destroy and “Insanium” coming soon…

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »
This sounds like Sons of Apollo got an upgrade in the bass/vocal/drum playing department! 

Not sure if this is a band i want to see live though, because i have a feeling JSS, MP and Sheehan are ahead of these new guys creating a show. I didn't go see Sons of Apollo live because i thought the music was that great, but because they kicked ass live, plus it was a small venue to see these guys play in. JSS walked right past me, and i was looking Bumblefoot in the eye from 2meters distance  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2024, 09:44:44 AM »
Well, in my humble opinion, this feels like a sequel to SoA, and that's not exactly throwing a party in my ears. Given the awesome vocalist they've got, I was secretly hoping for a different vibe. But nope, it's like this dude is on a mission to channel Soto's voice, which was my second roadblock to fully embracing SoA. Derek's less-than-friendly attitude was the first hurdle, in case you were wondering.
Fingers crossed the rest of the album takes a detour to a more exciting destination!

Oh man, first listen and I feel the same way.  This sounds very much like SOA, and that's a bad thing. (I didn't hate SOA, but their original music was just OK generally, but more importantly, I dont have interest in a band that's going to continue that sound and style and NOT be SOA)

Also, it would be smart for the video people to not focus so much on Derek's resting bitch face, especially when it's your intro to the band.  Ew.  Not a fan and I hate saying that because I'd love to support Bumblefoot.

Honestly the song isn't that bad, but its not making me interested in the band.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2024, 12:06:13 PM »
Insanium?  ???

Didn't Tater have a wine a few years back with the same name???

That was Insania, which I guess is the plural of Insanium?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2024, 12:18:33 PM »
I'm loving it. Big fan of Derek and Dino. I don't hear the SOA resemblance instrumentally. This band sounds more cohesive in the song writing. Some of the songs in the SoA albums sounded very disjointed. We'll see how the rest of the album sounds.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2024, 01:11:23 PM »
Checked this out and thought it was pretty good.

Sounds like a continuation to SoA, but I'm hearing some Symphony X equally. Dino Jelusick even channels a bit of Russel Allen, in certain parts during this song.

This is enough to keep me interested! Will be checking the album out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2024, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm not a fan of the voice. I don't like regular Russ Allen, and Jeff Scott Soto, I'm definitely not going to go for fake Russ Allen and fake JSS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2024, 04:59:22 PM »
Not bad at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC