Author Topic: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)  (Read 11437 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2024, 01:14:37 PM »

Art of Anarchy are playing a show in NJ in a couple weeks.  Maybe I should check it out.  I didn't love the single they released recently though.

I can get you a photo pass, if you want?

I can hit you up if I decide to go.  I'm not sure on going.  Also seeing Avenged Sevenfold the day after.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2024, 01:16:04 PM »

Yeah, there's little doubt in my mind there's a rift between them.  It's not hard to imagine either.  Someone like MP is well established and has multiple projects that bring in income.  Ron, who I like a lot, doesn't really have any of that.  At least not close to the scale that MP does.  So when they start a new band thats claimed to be everyone's main band, and it folds after two albums due to no fault of Ron's, I can see why he'd be mad.  His livelihood likely took a bigger hit from that change and shit gets very personal very quick when you feel like someone's decision impacts your bottom line.  Just my thoughts.

I had a similar take to this:

I think the root of the problem here is the way MP tends to promote bands when he first gets into them. With AMob, he wanted to replicate the arena rock/metal thing that he experienced with Avenged Sevenfold, but it did not end up happening. At the time, when he was hyping the band up, as with any other project of his, he talked about the brotherhood, how it feels like the early days of Dream Theater. MP tends to be better at fan engagement and marketing, compared to other members of his "projects", and from my personal experience in the music industry, I have a feeling that most musicians just tend to speak their mind and fan engagement forward characters like MP are actually a minority, so his words, while for marketing and hype purposes, hold value for the other members of his "projects".

Same thing holds true for SoA. MP presented it as a "real band", "focus for all of them", again, the brotherhood. Professional music making, in a band setting, is a job. They're not doing this for fun. For some, it's an incredibly hard process. So, when someone talks like this but ends up jumping ship, it's gotta hurt a little.

Also, my guess is that MP expects full commitment, from everyone who is involved, to the thing that he is committed to at any given time. John Sykes thing ended up getting canned because he and Sheehan were ready to go, but Sykes was not etc. It seems to me that he has no trouble letting go when others are ready to go all in. When he's invested in it, it's a brotherhood, but when he isn't, he has other commitments. I remember this interview of his, during the infancy of SoA. He had said something along the lines of "I have been taking a backseat with all my other bands, but I need something that I can lead now and with SoA, Derek and I are the leaders." He just expected others to go along with it. Similar to how he expected the DT guys to follow him to a hiatus.

I understand why the rest of SoA might be bitter, barring Sheehan. He's too old to give a crap about his kind of thing, IMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2024, 01:24:48 PM »
Yeah, i think you stated that earlier and I agree with your thoughts.  The life impact of SOA disbanding is different for all involved.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
Liking the album a lot so far! Sure it sounds a bit of a continuation of SoA, but it has lot more more modern prog metal influences than SoA, making it a clearly different band. Also a more concise approach, still very prog. My only complain is that Dino uses a bit too much drive in his vocals in some parts. The instrumental track Hypernova should be compared to Haken's Nil By Mouth since it's very much driven by the (excellent) rhythm section. BTW I loved the mix, the bass sounds great on it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 02:44:57 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2024, 02:35:10 PM »
Listened to Requiem on Bandcamp, it's a great closer! It should have in the regular album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2024, 03:40:46 PM »
I'm checking out the instrumental mixes and just like the last SoA album, these work incredibly well this way. I actually haven't listened to any of the actual vocal tracks yet. I love Dino so I have no worries. I just wanted to see if these held up as instrumentals and they really do. I think Derek's keys really help them stand up in that way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2024, 05:01:59 PM »
Requien (bonus track) is such a beautiful tune.  :hefdaddy

https://insideoutmusic.bandcamp.com/album/insanium-24-bit-hd-audio

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2024, 05:39:54 PM »
I like the non-single tracks so far. Find my way back is great. Also, I feel that this album is a lot more guitar-forward than I expected it to be.

Ron said in an interview that he was very intentional in trying to make this band heavier because that's what he wanted to do with SOA but not everybody wanted to take that direction. This band is similar but also heavier and more modern.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2024, 06:15:49 PM »
I'm checking out the instrumental mixes and just like the last SoA album, these work incredibly well this way. I actually haven't listened to any of the actual vocal tracks yet. I love Dino so I have no worries. I just wanted to see if these held up as instrumentals and they really do. I think Derek's keys really help them stand up in that way.

Where are you hearing these mixes?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2024, 06:34:50 PM »
The Decision is maybe my favorite at this point.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2024, 08:27:31 PM »

They are on the Deluxe version.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2024, 08:34:00 PM »

Yep. I ordered the 2 CD Mediabook from Laser CD.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2024, 09:47:11 PM »

Yep. I ordered the 2 CD Mediabook from Laser CD.

Had no idea there was one. Shit.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 AM »
This album is skull crushingly mediocre for me. The Angry Man Vocals (tm) don't help. Seriously fatiguing on my ears.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kocak

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2024, 11:45:16 AM »
This album is skull crushingly mediocre for me. The Angry Man Vocals (tm) don't help. Seriously fatiguing on my ears.

I agree with this assessment. I listened to it three times, I liked the non-single tracks initially but the further listens didn't do much. This album does not offer anything exciting.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2024, 01:01:58 PM »
Interesting about Kocak and nobodyblame's posts. I'm enjoying the heck out of this album. More melodical and heavy than SoA (which to me, sounded disjointed and quickly written and I'm not a fan of JSS vocals/melodies). The rhythm section for this lineup is fantastic.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2024, 07:16:26 PM »
Man. Opinions are all over the map on this one. I still have not listened to a single second of it. Going to go in blind when my copy comes Monday but I'm getting kind of excited.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2024, 08:12:18 PM »
I'm enjoying the heck out of this album. More melodical and heavy than SoA (which to me, sounded disjointed and quickly written and I'm not a fan of JSS vocals/melodies). The rhythm section for this lineup is fantastic.

This is me as well. Much better than what SOA ever was.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2024, 08:52:37 PM »
Man. Opinions are all over the map on this one. I still have not listened to a single second of it. Going to go in blind when my copy comes Monday but I'm getting kind of excited.

When the band formed my expectations were high. When I heard the single I thought it was generic. I took off my "prog snob" hat and listened to the album with arms unfolded and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2024, 03:36:42 AM »
I'm enjoying the heck out of this album. More melodical and heavy than SoA (which to me, sounded disjointed and quickly written and I'm not a fan of JSS vocals/melodies). The rhythm section for this lineup is fantastic.

This is me as well. Much better than what SOA ever was.

I never thought Sons of Apollo was all that, either. But I'd probably rate their albums a hair ahead of this release.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2024, 09:13:40 AM »
Do we have an Art of Anarchy thread? I haven't heard a single second of that either but my copy just arrived in the mail. Wondering what people's views are of that

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2024, 09:56:36 AM »
Crucifier, Find My Way Back, and Hypernova 158 are exactly what I was expecting SoA to sound like. Which is proggy, rocking metal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2024, 10:05:43 AM »
Do we have an Art of Anarchy thread? I haven't heard a single second of that either but my copy just arrived in the mail. Wondering what people's views are of that

I don't think there is an Art of Anarchy thread given that I don't think former members like Scott Weiland, Scott Stapp, John Moyer (of Disturbed) would be on people's radar to look out for here.  Bumblefoot has been with that band the entire time though.  If you like or tolerate stuff from the Active Rock radio format, you may get into this.  Just don't expect greatness.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:14:18 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »

I really like the new album. Heard it at the gym the other day.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2024, 11:41:25 AM »
The AOA album is not bad at all.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2024, 01:12:04 PM »
For some reason, AOA reminds me a bit of Adrenaline Mob, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Stapp was their best singer, IMO.

Offline majo

« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2024, 05:44:33 AM »
meh
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline devieira73

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2024, 04:47:40 PM »
Made it about halfway through the album before moving on out of boredom. None of it was terrible but it was pretty boring to me. Dinos voice just really annoys me though he sounded a lot better on The Decision.

But Bumblefoot just isn’t an interesting guitarist. Seems super talented and a nice guy but I can’t connect to almost any of his riffs or solos. Just nothing catchy or hooky going on. Super technical at times but nothing that catches your attention. At least not mine.

I’m sure I’ll listen to the rest of it eventually but this ain’t for me so far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2024, 05:23:20 PM »
I also think The Decision is Dino's best performance in the album. The use of drive in his voice is perfect in this song IMO, he still pushes it a bit, but still sounding cool. Maybe an adjustment to be made for the next album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2024, 05:36:43 PM »
I also think The Decision is Dino's best performance in the album. The use of drive in his voice is perfect in this song IMO, he still pushes it a bit, but still sounding cool. Maybe an adjustment to be made for the next album.

I dunno. From what I’ve heard of him (admittedly not a ton) this might just be his thing. Though I can’t imagine he’s going to be able to sustain it for too long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2024, 05:44:54 PM »
On Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds, Pt. 2 he's singing more or less like that the entire album and his voice is really good there. Ok, maybe Michael was producing him to not exaggerate on the drives, still...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2024, 07:28:22 AM »
Gave this another listen this morning. There's just nothing of substance. I agree with Adami about Bumblefoot's playing, too, although I do really like and admire the chap*. Perhaps with a different style of singing it'd be a bit better but as it stands? 1/5. On the plus side, that's half a point more than I'd give Icefish's album. Although one less than I'd give Temic's debut.

*Bumblefoot, not Adami**

**Although I am sure Adami's equally nice :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2024, 09:07:24 AM »
1/5. On the plus side, that's half a point more than I'd give Icefish's album. Although one less than I'd give Temic's debut.

Interesting that you compare all these bands here. I like that Icefish record, but for whatever reason it feels very dense/tiring and that's weird considering it's a 45 minute album. I think they over-produced/layered it a bit. Temic I liked too, but I definitely expected more considering the guys involved. WGD, surprisingly, is my favorite of the bunch.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2024, 09:24:35 AM »
They all just feel a bit similar stylistically to me, hence the comparison. Plus they're sort-of supergroups.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK