Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 583428 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10430 on: April 14, 2024, 01:16:16 PM »
Well, finally found a ticket for Bruce's solo show in Santa Ana for below $100.00, this Monday.  F' it, this is something I never going to see ever again within 5 years or so.  I'm buying it.  The resale was going for around $130 or more.  It's going to be worth it.

Definitely worth the money.

I wonder if he's going to consistently switch up songs or if these two warm up shows were to figure out what works best as a static set list.  We'll see.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10431 on: April 14, 2024, 01:59:14 PM »
Are you pulling from bootlegs as well or just leaving off songs that weren’t officially released? i.e. most of AMOLAD.

So, I'm not using bootlegs but I do have some FM/SBD sources, so for AMOLAD, I'm using both Donington 6-10-07 and Stockholm 11-18-06.
I'm using London 12-18-90 for a few No Prayer songs.
I used Ullevi 7-9-05 for Remember Tomorrow.
I used Ipswich 5-8-83 for To Tame A Land

I found a couple of Wacken 2023 vids on Youtube for Writing On The Wall and Days Of Future Past, as well as an official video released from Iron Maiden for Stratego.

I'd love to add a nice soundboard of Caught Somewhere In Time, Alexander The Great, and Hell On Earth, but I can't find any.

Those were  the only spots where I had to go off the grid.

The Ullevi was interesting because I love the 3 guitar part harmonies in the older songs, but as much as I love Nicko, some of those songs were made for Clive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10432 on: April 14, 2024, 05:23:48 PM »
Rock in Rio, but if you’re not as into that album’s sound Death on the Road version isn’t bad either. The song has lost its juice live since then imo.

I dunno, listening to the En Vivo version now, this is pretty damn good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10433 on: April 14, 2024, 05:35:03 PM »
2 Minutes;

I think LAD is probably the quintessential version here.  Although, the Real Live/Dead One has a great groove and tempo and seems to breathe really nicely and Janick has a really nice take on Adrian's solo here.  Saying that, the Mexico City version is surprisingly solid too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10434 on: April 14, 2024, 05:39:44 PM »
Here's another controversial opinion, well not really, but I've always loved the tracks that were from Donington 88 on the BBC Archives album.  Bruce is sick as fuck but I love the mix and sound of these tracks.  None probably rank up there for the best performances but I've always gone to these songs.  It's annoying the full audio doesn't seem to be out there at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10435 on: April 14, 2024, 05:58:59 PM »
Tim, this version of Wrathchild from Donington 88 is actually fucking banging.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10436 on: April 14, 2024, 06:10:05 PM »
I know you didn't ask for it Tim but damn the Donington version of TETMD trumps them all IMO.  Janick is amazing on this solo and the groove and energy is incredible.

I think TNOB Donington version is a front runner too.  I agree, having it second in the set worked wonderfully.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10437 on: April 14, 2024, 06:17:51 PM »
I'm biased as fuck, but Hallowed on Donington is my fav too.

Let's add the Trooper in this too.  I love how they played that one so late in the set.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 06:23:10 PM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10438 on: April 14, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
I know you didn't ask for it Tim but damn the Donington version of TETMD trumps them all IMO.  Janick is amazing on this solo and the groove and energy is incredible.

I think TNOB Donington version is a front runner too.  I agree, having it second in the set worked wonderfully.

Yes and yes. I actually used A Real Dead One version for The Evil That Men Do, so I'm with you on that song for that tour.

I didn't use Donington for TNOTB, but I agree. I've always thought it was a great move putting that second. The setlists for those first two tours with Janick had some surprises like that. Knocking out 22AA and Hallowed in the first 5-6 tracks on the No Prayer tour was awesome.

Here's another controversial opinion, well not really, but I've always loved the tracks that were from Donington 88 on the BBC Archives album.  Bruce is sick as fuck but I love the mix and sound of these tracks.  None probably rank up there for the best performances but I've always gone to these songs.  It's annoying the full audio doesn't seem to be out there at all.

I definitely prefer the mix of that show to the Maiden England show, and I actually used those tracks for any overlapping tracks between the two shows.

2 Minutes;

I think LAD is probably the quintessential version here. 

It's the one I went with.

So these are the versions that I went with..

Wrathchild   BOS: Live Chapter
Iron Maiden   BBC Archives-Reading '82
The Number Of The Beast   Flight 666
Run To The Hills   BBC Archives-Reading '82
The Trooper   Live After Death

For Hallowed and Fear Of The Dark, I couldn't make up my mind. They are my two favorite Iron Maiden songs so they'll be the only two songs that repeat in my 10 hour playlist.

Hallowed Be Thy Name Beast Over Hammersmith, Death On the Road, Flight 666
Fear Of The Dark  Death On The Road, BOS: Live Chapter

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10439 on: April 14, 2024, 06:39:23 PM »
I definitely prefer the mix of that show to the Maiden England show, and I actually used those tracks for any overlapping tracks between the two shows.

YES!!!  The mix on these 7 or so tracks are some of my fav mixes of any of their releases.

Can't complain with any of your picks.  Death on the Road actually I haven't listened to for years, I should revisit that one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10440 on: April 14, 2024, 06:43:54 PM »
Death on the Road actually I haven't listened to for years, I should revisit that one.

I love Death On The Road. I find Rock In Rio kind of muddy, and DOTR has a refreshing mix. I like the crowd levels, and Nicko is quite loose.

BOS: Live Chapter, when compared to some of the other live albums, sounds amazing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10441 on: April 14, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »
I love Death On The Road. I find Rock In Rio kind of muddy, and DOTR has a refreshing mix. I like the crowd levels, and Nicko is quite loose.

BOS: Live Chapter, when compared to some of the other live albums, sounds amazing.

yeah, I know that's your fav, that's why I want to make a point of revisiting it.  I agree with RIR.  I loved the DVD but never listened to the CD, I think the mix is pretty bad on that one.

Can't recall much from Live Chapter either.  Might be another to revisit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10442 on: April 14, 2024, 06:54:23 PM »
The other thing about Death On The Road is that I think it's the best filmed footage of the band. I love the angles, the lighting...everything is perfect.....except for the fucking editing. :censored

Yeah, revisit Live Chapter.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10443 on: April 14, 2024, 08:55:14 PM »
Haha, DOTR definitely had Donington vibes with the editing.  The setlist is quite good too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10444 on: April 15, 2024, 08:15:33 AM »
SO...I couldn't get this back to you in time, but I'll still play along.

Wrathschild: Maiden Japan, Rock In Rio, and there's a b-side from "Hallowed Be Thy Name" in 1992 from Finland (same set of shows as the Real Live/Dead One CDs)
Iron Maiden: Live At The Rainbow or En Vivo! (I never get tired of "Scream for me [wherever]! THE IRON MAIDEN!" intro
TNOTB:  B-SIde from Dortmund Germany in 1983, Monsters Of Rock '88, or Beast Over Hammersmith
Hallowed Be Thy Name: Beast Over Hammersmith (though, to be honest, there's no "bad" versions of this song)
Run To The Hills: Beast Over Hammersmith, Death On The Road (though I must say, this is one of those songs where Clive's style just fits better, as much as I LOVE Nicko)
Trooper: En Vivo, Live After Death (either version)
2 Minutes To Minute: Live After Death DVD, then Live After Death CD (they are different nights)
Fear Of The Dark: Flight 666, En Vivo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10445 on: April 15, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
SO...I couldn't get this back to you in time, but I'll still play along.

Wrathschild: Maiden Japan, Rock In Rio, and there's a b-side from "Hallowed Be Thy Name" in 1992 from Finland (same set of shows as the Real Live/Dead One CDs)
Iron Maiden: Live At The Rainbow or En Vivo! (I never get tired of "Scream for me [wherever]! THE IRON MAIDEN!" intro
TNOTB:  B-SIde from Dortmund Germany in 1983, Monsters Of Rock '88, or Beast Over Hammersmith
Hallowed Be Thy Name: Beast Over Hammersmith (though, to be honest, there's no "bad" versions of this song)
Run To The Hills: Beast Over Hammersmith, Death On The Road (though I must say, this is one of those songs where Clive's style just fits better, as much as I LOVE Nicko)
Trooper: En Vivo, Live After Death (either version)
2 Minutes To Minute: Live After Death DVD, then Live After Death CD (they are different nights)
Fear Of The Dark: Flight 666, En Vivo

Thanks Bill. I was keeping it to Bruce vocals only. Since it's a playlist on Spotify, I tried to use only official albums that were on there. I only went off the grid when necessary, but it still sucks because I can only access those songs on my computer. Not on my phone, or at work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10446 on: April 15, 2024, 01:40:25 PM »
Thanks Bill. I was keeping it to Bruce vocals only. Since it's a playlist on Spotify, I tried to use only official albums that were on there. I only went off the grid when necessary, but it still sucks because I can only access those songs on my computer. Not on my phone, or at work.

Yeah, I recall now you said that (about Bruce's vocals). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10447 on: April 15, 2024, 01:46:50 PM »
Yeah, I recall now you said that (about Bruce's vocals).

Did you decide which Maiden show you're going to?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10448 on: April 15, 2024, 02:36:05 PM »
Did you decide which Maiden show you're going to?

Not yet.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #10449 on: April 15, 2024, 04:21:33 PM »
Well, I'm a big moron.  The tickets for today's Bruce solo show in Santa Ana has dropped as low as $69.00 on Tickpick.  Could have saved me $25.00 if I waited just a little bit longer.  Anywho, anyone that is in the LA/OC area that's not busy today that wants to go watch Bruce Dickinson solo live.  There's the window.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10450 on: April 15, 2024, 05:16:39 PM »
Well, I'm a big moron.  The tickets for today's Bruce solo show in Santa Ana has dropped as low as $69.00 on Tickpick.  Could have saved me $25.00 if I waited just a little bit longer.  Anywho, anyone that is in the LA/OC area that's not busy today that wants to go watch Bruce Dickinson solo live.  There's the window.

Who knew? I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10451 on: April 15, 2024, 05:18:57 PM »

That's bullshit.  I mean, you wouldn't gamble on that but dropping the price after the fact is pretty shitty.  I get as the show gets closer they would want to sell more tickets but still, not cool for those already purchased.  They should give people that have already purchased some sort of credit or something.  But on the other hand you pay top dollar straight up to secure your ticket too so....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10452 on: April 15, 2024, 05:54:53 PM »

This has annoyed me.  What's the point of only being able to local files through Spotify if you can't play them outside your PC?  Besides putting them in a playlist, there's no fucking advantage because they are on your PC anyway!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10453 on: April 15, 2024, 05:56:07 PM »
Another contribution: I was just noticing how great the songs sound on the BBC Archives release. Tim, is that one available to you?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10454 on: April 15, 2024, 06:04:20 PM »
Another contribution: I was just noticing how great the songs sound on the BBC Archives release. Tim, is that one available to you?

Great CD.  Eddie's Archive was such a package.  That release plus BOH and the b-sides, great stuff.  Still have mind in perfect condition.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10455 on: April 15, 2024, 06:58:33 PM »

Yes. I used it for a number of tracks.

I used the Reading show for Run To The Hills and Iron Maiden.
I used the MOR '88 show for the Seventh Son tracks. I like the mix much better than Maiden England.

I'm going to post the playlist in a bit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10456 on: April 15, 2024, 07:13:53 PM »
Great CD.  Eddie's Archive was such a package.  That release plus BOH and the b-sides, great stuff.  Still have mind in perfect condition.

Here's mine. It holds all of my old concert pictures!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10457 on: April 15, 2024, 07:21:23 PM »
 :omg:  That's a lot of fucking concert pics.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10458 on: April 15, 2024, 07:26:27 PM »
If anyone wants to tap it, here's the playlist I came up with.  It's not sorted at all. It's just the order that I added the tracks. I played it today at work on shuffle, and it lasted my entire workday.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5HyAr1Rw8qW4djBANi2VfC?si=c712dfde1a734d7e

Like I said, I have three versions of Hallowed and two versions of Fear Of The Dark. I was originally going to use Milan '99 for Powerslave and Ullevi '05 for Remember Tomorrow, but since I can't access the Local Files while not on my computer, I added back in each tracks from official, so each song is on there twice. Unfortunately the 20 or so Local File tracks that I imported won't play for you.

Speaking of concert pics, the playlist pic is one of mine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10459 on: April 15, 2024, 07:29:07 PM »
This will be perfect in between roulette listening when I get into the car and sit there with no fucking idea what I want to play.  :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10460 on: April 15, 2024, 08:41:59 PM »
I sold my Eddie's Archive box set years ago.  I had already ripped the CD's to my computer, so it was just sitting in a closet collecting dust.  I want to say I got between $80 to $100 on ebay at the time, which was nice. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10461 on: April 15, 2024, 08:43:19 PM »
Hmm.....I wonder how much you'd get for one these days in near perfect condition.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10462 on: April 15, 2024, 11:21:34 PM »
Here you go: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/543598

Looks like it came in an outer cardboard box. I don't remember that although I bought it on the day of release. Anyway, my box no longer exists. Looks like it needs that to reach the higher prices of £300 plus, otherwise goes in pretty good condition for £200ish with the median being £185. I can't remember what I paid for it although I'm thinking it was about £99. In today's money, that'd be worth £195. We ain't retiring on the proceeds, alas :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10463 on: April 16, 2024, 01:04:56 AM »
I don't remember a cardboard box either.

Not bad.  I believe it was 150 Aussie dollars when released.  Maybe give it another 10 years.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10464 on: April 16, 2024, 08:55:03 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5HyAr1Rw8qW4djBANi2VfC?si=c712dfde1a734d7e

I dont really use spotify, but if thats a public playlist you made, very cool!

Also, Bruce played Navigate the Seas of the Sun last night?! Wow, I'm shocked he's played 3 shows with 3 slightly different sets so far.  Did not expect that!