Author Topic: GTA V  (Read 95167 times)

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: GTA V
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »
The stupidity in people never fails to amaze me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
And it's pretty surreal to see how accurately they've portrayed some of the sites I've been to many times (I live in the LA area).
Yeah, I immediately recognized an intersection of Hwy 1 I drove on just 2 months ago. Even the same crappy-ass traffic.

I smile every time I head through Venice Beach (or whatever it's called in game).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #423 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
 :rollin :corn

Good, good. Hope they get the full run simply for being brainless cunts over a damn video game...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
Funny, I've pretty much ignored GTA all day, in favor of playing Skyrim.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
So I was originally waiting with playing this until a friend was coming over, but he's been a dick to me in the last days (drama that has happened before), and I was like "screw that". And I installed the game earlier today, and just spent my first 3 ½ - 4 hours in it.

Overall, I'm blown away. This takes me back to the golden days of GTA, which for me was spent in San Andreas. This new Los Santos has hints to the old one that I loved, but also has so much new stuff, and the new layout is just incredible. Before the game came out, I was skeptical at the whole "playing as several characters"-aspect, but I must say that it works much better than I had thought. I love it how Michael and Franklin meet each other, and the small nod where they sorta meet in the first mission after the prologue.

Really enjoying the game so far, more than the fourth one. That one felt a bit too gritty and dark, in comparison to this one which has more similarities to San Andreas, with a lot of colors, and a more fun aspect imo. The only negative thing I can say, is that my TV is probably not the best for playing these kind of games. It's a great TV, but it's kinda small, only about 20 inches or so. I feel like these games probably work better on a HUGE TV. It's mostly noticeable while driving really fast, when a lot of it just feels very blurry.

But overall, awesome stuff. Can't wait to play more, tomorrow.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
This game is fun!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Well, I caved in and bought it. Grades be damned  :metal

Waiting for it to install...

also, it made 800 million in its first day, hot damn

https://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/18/grand-theft-auto-5-makes-off-with-over-800-million-on-day-one/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:04:02 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
Well, I caved in and bought it. Grades be damned  :metal

Waiting for it to install...

also, it made 800 million in its first day, hot damn

https://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/18/grand-theft-auto-5-makes-off-with-over-800-million-on-day-one/

Good man

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
The "legalize weed" guy mission  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Just did this. Holy shit. :lol
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
Franklin's voice is a perfect copy of CJ. Absolutely identical. I figured it was the same actor until I looked it up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2013, 06:20:25 AM »
Just bought the game and installed it and played a for an hour or so last night. Wow, what a game, this is actually my first console gta purchase. I've always been a die hard PC gta gamer but I didn't want to get left about what everyone is talking about (kinda like I've never watched Breaking bad).

I can't wait to play later tonight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »
Should have this tomorrow. My coworker is bringing the ps3 for me to borrow to work and then I'll buy the game on my way home. Sadly I have to work Saturday and Sunday but I took Monday off so I will be playing it all day.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #433 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
Interesting, Cozmo. I'm having the same exact problem. Every time I start it up, it almost always (I've only seen it not fail once) crashes, but then starts back up and I can play. Recently, Games For Windows Live crashes 9 out of 10 times, then let's me keep playing GTAIV....except for recently, when it gets to the character collage loading screen, it'll crash before the actual game starts. Very odd. I'm gonna have to look into this after work... Fucking Games For Windows is ridiculous.

I tried it back to back countless times and it would crash, just after displaying the "accessing DVD drive" cursor.  Tried uninstalling GFWL.  No dice.  Removed all traces of xlive.dll.  Still crashed on xlive.dll (that I KNOW wasn't even there).  I haven't gone to the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling yet, but I may have to.  Ridiculous.  I've patched it to version 1.0.7 also.  Nothing.  Keeps crashing.  REALLY pissed.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #434 on: September 19, 2013, 07:06:25 AM »
I finally got introduced to Trevor last night.... That guy is hilarious  :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #435 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
So do you really have to install an i-phone ap to train the stupid dog? That would make this my last ever R* purchase. All of these add-ons are really starting to piss me off.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #436 on: September 19, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
So do you really have to install an i-phone ap to train the stupid dog? That would make this my last ever R* purchase. All of these add-ons are really starting to piss me off.

I refuse to do that. I guess there is an android app too. It's called iFruit, I think. I saw another pop-up yesterday that said if I registered on some site, it'd unlock some ability in the game. I think they were increased driving stats or something like that. Fuck that. I shelled out $65 for this game, which didn't even get me all the stuff in the game seeing as I didn't want to hand over another $20 for stuff that's already there. Unless a coinciding app actually enhances the experience of the game, I'm not even going to look into it. Rockstar has made close to a BILLION dollars off this game already. I can't imagine, between development and marketing expenses, that this game cost any more than $250 million to produce. They got an amazing return on investment already, and the holiday season hasn't even come yet. I don't feel bad at all for being so against this. 

I'm trying to think what Rockstar could offer that actually made people want to download an app. I can't think of anything other than maybe syncing your game to your phone for content sharing purposes. I think it'd be cool if I could take a pic in game, and then text it to a real-life contact through the phone in game, or play music off my phone while in game (I don't store music on my system).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #437 on: September 19, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
What are these apps you guys talking about?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #438 on: September 19, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
I got a message about downloading an iFruit app on my personal phone or tablet that can be used to train Chop.

https://www.vg247.com/2013/09/16/gta-5-ifruit-app-out-now-lets-you-trick-out-cars-and-train-chop-the-dog/

I guess there isn't an Android version.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #439 on: September 19, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »
Interesting, Cozmo. I'm having the same exact problem. Every time I start it up, it almost always (I've only seen it not fail once) crashes, but then starts back up and I can play. Recently, Games For Windows Live crashes 9 out of 10 times, then let's me keep playing GTAIV....except for recently, when it gets to the character collage loading screen, it'll crash before the actual game starts. Very odd. I'm gonna have to look into this after work... Fucking Games For Windows is ridiculous.

I tried it back to back countless times and it would crash, just after displaying the "accessing DVD drive" cursor.  Tried uninstalling GFWL.  No dice.  Removed all traces of xlive.dll.  Still crashed on xlive.dll (that I KNOW wasn't even there).  I haven't gone to the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling yet, but I may have to.  Ridiculous.  I've patched it to version 1.0.7 also.  Nothing.  Keeps crashing.  REALLY pissed.

I'm becoming quite irked myself. I cannot fathom how this is happening... I've done all you've done, plus uninstalled and reinstalled after deleting the cancer that is GfW. UGH! I'm gonna have to call up my computer genius bro and see if he can do anything...but this is very odd. At the very least it'll intrigue him...but hopefully I can come back here with good news and how to fix it. :censored

RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #440 on: September 19, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
yeah. I take pains to keep my various identities unconnected. I don't want R* or M$ knowing my cell number. I mean, FFS.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #441 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
Wait, the iFruit is a real app? I thought they meant find a way to download it for your character's phone in the game!  :lol

Well, Chop, you were nice for that one mission, I guess.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #442 on: September 19, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
From what I hear he serves his function perfectly without the app. That's for extra stuff, like tricks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #443 on: September 19, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Played another 3-4 hours tonight. Right now I'm at the point where Trevor has met up with Michael, and I did the first mission when they had reunited. Great game.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Trevor's a mixed bag for me. He's batshit and funny, but... he kind of does something right at the start that pissed me off.  :( But it did show that GTA4 and GTA5 take place in the same universe.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
but... he kind of does something right at the start that pissed me off.
I can't think of anything that made me upset. What are you referring to?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #446 on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »
He's referring to the first person Trevor killed. I was surprised by it, but I never liked the guy to begin with. Now that he was weak and all strung out on crank, it bothered me even less. I was more bothered by taking out the lieutenants.

As for the same universe, Lester made a reference to some Eastern European making moves in LC. Excluded him as an ally as he had a big mouth.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #447 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
Wait, am I missing something?

Spoilers, obviously.

You're talking about the boyfriend of the girl that Trevor was tapping, right? Does he bear some other significance I missed out on? Or was Nel just upset by the fact that Trevor killed an 'innocent?'

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #448 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »
Hanging out with my roommate and he's playing it out in our living room. May just put it on my credit card tomorrow, holy fuck I want this game.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #449 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
Wait, am I missing something?

Spoilers, obviously.

You're talking about the boyfriend of the girl that Trevor was tapping, right? Does he bear some other significance I missed out on? Or was Nel just upset by the fact that Trevor killed an 'innocent?'

The guy he killed was from GTA 4. Barto may not have liked him, but I did. Kind of sucked to see that he was a meth head now. I was all "Oh hey, it's so-and-so!  :D And he and Trevor are-- OH! OH SHIT! WHY?!"  :'(

And damn it, are there spoiler tags on this forum or what? Nothing I do is working.  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »

RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
The guy he killed was from GTA 4. Barto may not have liked him, but I did. Kind of sucked to see that he was a meth head now. I was all "Oh hey, it's so-and-so!  :D And he and Trevor are-- OH! OH SHIT! WHY?!"  :'(

And damn it, are there spoiler tags on this forum or what? Nothing I do is working.  :lol

I had the exact same thought at first. Then I decided he was no big loss. And no spoiler tags. Often comes up in the requests and suggestions thread, but never goes anywhere.

So my initial thoughts after playing a good chunk today: It makes up for everything that sucked about IV. The characters are all likeable. The environment is much brighter and livelier. It's made me laugh quite a bit, and a few times totally cracked me up. This is something R* had forgotten about for a while. Overall I like it.

For the downside, there are a few things wrong with it. The save game thing is a PITA. You get one autosave slot, and on the rare occasion that it asks if you want to overwrite it, declining will turn off autosave altogether. It also prompts you each time you start for a save location. Remember my fucking choice!

Some of the side characters are annoying as fuck, and you can't kill them. Franklin's aunt should already be dead; worthless cunt. Same goes for Stretch; verdicts still out on Lamar.

There are too many missions that start automatically. Relating back to the save game thing, anytime I go to a safehouse to make a unique save, it starts some silly-ass mission before I can get inside; often times with people I can't stand.

The reticle for most guns is way too small, and something tells me you're supposed to buy better ones online.

An interesting observation: Michael lives in a multimillion dollar home in Beverly Hills, and when the game starts he's got 7k to his name. Trevor is a psychotic hillbilly living in a trailer, and he's already got well over 100k.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2013, 01:24:31 AM »
An interesting observation: Michael lives in a multimillion dollar home in Beverly Hills, and when the game starts he's got 7k to his name. Trevor is a psychotic hillbilly living in a trailer, and he's already got well over 100k.
They give somewhat of an explanation for that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
I caved.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Trevor's a mixed bag for me. He's batshit and funny, but... he kind of does something right at the start that pissed me off.  :( But it did show that GTA4 and GTA5 take place in the same universe.

I think I know what you're talking about.

Still pretty cool to see an old face.