Poll

Should the "best song of the round" bonus be doubled for the final round?

Nah, x2 points for the songs but only +1 point for the bonus
Fuck yeah
Kevin Moore (he's an electronic artist so I have to include him)

Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 26530 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - FINAL COMPARISONS
« Reply #735 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »
It'll be pretty lame of me to throw it away after being top for a lot of this roulette. :lol

Yes, it would be :corn:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #736 on: March 23, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Don't worry everyone, I'm sure the final results will result in no one being happy
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #737 on: March 23, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
Congrats ariich!
It'll be pretty lame of me to throw it away after being top for a lot of this roulette. :lol
I don't know. I was in first place for the first 2 rounds and then sunk quickly. Then again, that's me in just about every roulette. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:50 PM »
Congrats ariich!
I don't know. I was in first place for the first 2 rounds and then sunk quickly. Then again, that's me in just about every roulette. :lol

I remember how I was in the lead for the most of Tim's roulette and then lost the lead in the bonus round which wasn't even there in the beginning of the roulette :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #739 on: March 23, 2021, 11:55:42 PM »
Congrats ariich!
Except my roulettes, where you always have a very mediocre start and then pick it up after a couple of rounds.

Congrats ariich!

I remember how I was in the lead for the most of Tim's roulette and then lost the lead in the bonus round which wasn't even there in the beginning of the roulette :lol
Oh good, it's not just my roulettes you have horrendous bad luck in then. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #740 on: March 24, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »
Half of the write-ups are done, final results should be tomorrow!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #741 on: March 25, 2021, 12:21:58 AM »
End me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2021, 04:29:19 AM »
The excitement!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline romdrums

« Reply #743 on: March 25, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »
Interested to see how Elite did with my submissions. ;D :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - FINAL RESULTS!!!
« Reply #744 on: March 25, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »
Alright, this is it! The final results! For the sake of suspense, I'll post the write-ups in opposite order this time...

---FINAL ROUND RESULTS---

Evermind - Stray Kids

Despite your best efforts, it looks like you’re never getting that 4/10.

Whenever you said that you’d eventually resort to sending k-pop, it felt like you were saying that as some kind of threat. If that’s the case, you’ll be surprised to hear that this is probably your best submission of the entire roulette! These songs go really hard. God’s Menu has this mean bassline that is paired with a slow, thick beat that compliments it super well. The beat also switches up pretty frequently, which keeps things really energetic and lively. I especially like those faster parts where everything except the percussion, bassline, and vocals cut out. Finally, those triplet gunshot vocalizations in the hooks are super catchy and do a great job of hyping things up. Definitely a banger, no pun intended.

MIROH starts off quite differently with some gentle guitar and a lush synth melody. I really love the atmosphere in the intro here. It’s the only part of the song with that vibe, but that’s okay because the rest of the track is super energetic and fun. Between the synth line and the vocals, the hook is incredibly catchy and goes really hard. Nice use of sound effects in the background, too. I liked both songs here but I think this one’s definitely my favorite. I certainly think the hip-hop elements help these songs out a lot; I love the energy and edge they provide. If you’ve got more stuff like this, well… it’s a bit too late to send it now, but maybe next time!

God’s Menu: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
MIROH: 7.5 x 2 = 15.0

Romdrums - Enduser

Cool futuristic sound, though the second song didn’t really seem to go anywhere.

I’m really enjoying the production work on both of these songs. Death Vest 09 has these bright, shimmering bells that add a really nice atmospheric layer to the whole song, and the vocal samples are quite haunting. I also love how the intro drops into the more intense part of the song; it’s a super smooth and satisfying transition. The use of breakbeats feels quite creative to me, as I haven’t really heard them used for a rhythm like this before. I don’t have any real complaints about this one, though shortly after the intro it does feel like you’ve heard all the song has to offer. Still, it’s very well put-together.

The second song, Reciprocal, isn’t doing a ton for me. The production is still great here; the beat is really cool, intricate, and futuristic, and there’s a lot going on at any given moment. The problem for me is that out of all the things going on, none of it is melodic. All I would have really needed here was one or two simple synth lines or a proper bass line, but there’s not any of that to be found. As such, I’m not finding anything to really grab onto here. It’s cool, but it feels more like a beat than a fully-realized song.

Death Vest 09: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
Reciprocal: 5.5 x 2 = 11.0

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Sarah Fimm

I’m enjoying the sound here. Sparse but atmospheric, and a really nice voice, too.

These two songs sound very similar to each other, but they both have a great moody atmosphere created by the dark synth textures, sparse beats, and the haunting, gentle vocals. Velocity is the less memorable of the two, but it still has some great synth melodies, and the production has a lot of little subtle details and cool elements that you don’t immediately notice. The vocal performance is also really good here; during the choruses she definitely conveys more power, but she still manages to keep herself restrained within the calm atmosphere and doesn’t go too overboard. The drums in Story Of Us sound super cool; I’m not really sure how they’re manipulating the snare, but the effect is really interesting. The electronic piano is nice and somber, and that “six degrees is all it takes” vocal refrain is conveyed with such fragility. It’s quite beautiful. These do feel like two different versions of the same song in a lot of ways, but hey, I enjoyed them both.

Velocity 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
Story Of Us: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0

Puppies_On_Acid - IAMX

Much more interesting than I was expecting. You may be pleasantly surprised.

In terms of atmosphere and sound, this definitely sticks out from most of the other synth pop I’ve gotten this roulette. Very dark and nocturnal, rather than bright and shimmery. Stardust has a pretty thick atmosphere to it, with those cold piano chords constantly pulsing in the background. They provide a good foundation for these synth arpeggios that have a weird, almost atonal quality to them. Despite that, they work surprisingly well and don’t sound bad at all. I like the interplay between the two vocalists as well; they don’t sound super different from each other, but I suppose that means it’s no surprise that they sound good together. There is something missing here for me, though it’s hard to say what it is. Maybe the song as a whole is just a bit too low-key for me, or the chorus melody isn’t as strong as I’d like. I don’t really know. I like it, but it’s not one of my favorites.

Your Joy Is My Low definitely gives me some Nine Inch Nails vibes, with its Closer-esque drum beat and the dark, nocturnal synth textures. There’s lots of great synth and string layers throughout, and the vocal harmonization in the second verse sounds fantastic. If there’s one thing that holds the song back it’s the chorus. It’s not bad or anything, but it’s a bit repetitive and underwhelming, and the song really leans on it too much towards the end. Apart from that complaint though, I’m definitely enjoying this one.

Stardust: 6.5 x 2 = 13.0
Your Joy Is My Low: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0

Cyril - Porter Robinson

This is scratching a similar itch to one of my favorite electronic artists. Warm, colorful, nostalgic, and emotional.

So yeah, this immediately reminded me of Anamanaguchi when I first heard it. Not too surprising considering they’ve collaborated before and they both seem to pull super heavily from Japanese and retro video game aesthetics. With how much I love Anamanaguchi, I was really excited for these songs, though that excitement has definitely worn off a bit with repeat listens. Both of them have some really enjoyable elements, but they both also have some pretty noticeable execution problems, in my opinion. Sea Of Voices has a really warm, heavenly atmosphere, and I absolutely love the swirling synth arpeggios; they make me feel like I’m being surrounded by streaks of color. The finale of the song is also very cathartic when it finally shows up, with these huge walls of synths and massive, thunderous drums. It’s a bit too little too late though, as the vast majority of the song is this long build-up that’s just a bit too repetitive and uneventful for me. Apart from the atmosphere, there’s really nothing going on for too much of the song. Still, the atmosphere and finale alone make this an enjoyable listen while it’s on.

I knew I had heard Goodbye To A World somewhere before but couldn’t quite remember where… then I realized it was a SiIvaGunner rip of an Undertale song! Anyways, the first couple minutes of this song are basically perfect. The main melody here is super memorable and effective; it’s quite simple, but it strikes a great balance between somber and hopeful. The ascending synth arpeggio behind it swells in volume, that synth choir melody comes in… it’s super beautiful and emotional. I love it. And then the vocaloid comes in. I think it actually sounds pretty good at first, but when that twitchy bitcrusher effect gets slathered on top of it the texture just becomes super uncomfortable to me, especially with how loud and emphasized it makes all the sibilances. Things pick up a lot when that wall of chiptune synths comes in around the halfway point. I think I’ve managed to avoid using the word “epic” this entire roulette, so I’ll allow myself to use it once. All the song really needs to do at this point is to stick the finale… and it kind of bungles it. The epic chiptune synths come back, but they’re cut up with these really awkward gaps of silence that don’t sound good at all, and the beat here really needed something else besides the straight thumping kick drum hits. After this bit, the song just kind of fizzles out into nothing. It’s pretty underwhelming and really bums me out given how well the rest of the song set itself up. So close, yet so far… While I ended up being a bit disappointed by both of these songs, I’ll definitely still check out the rest of the album, as I love the sound. Hopefully these aren’t the best songs on the album. And if they are, well… at least it looks like there’s a new one coming out next month!

Sea Of Voices: 6.5 x 2 = 13.0
Goodbye To A World: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0

Elite - GoGo Penguin

I’m not sure if this will do well, but if it does, I expect you to write Romdrums a formal thank-you letter and apologize for being a cheater.

Alright cheater, how’d you do? Well, considering Squarepusher had one of my favorite songs this roulette, it’s not too surprising I thought his remix here was pretty good. The majority of this song has this really nice, comforting atmosphere. The gentle guitars are really warm and pretty, and that reverb-drenched bass guitar sounds quite cool. I did give the original song a listen and I think the guitar and bass here are completely new, which is surprising. The song does a good job at slowly building up until some distorted synth bass starts coming in and the song reaches a crescendo with some bright, high-pitched synth notes. Unfortunately, the atmosphere of the song gets ruined right after this when the production suddenly becomes ridiculously glitchy and abrasive. In a song this chill, it feels completely out of place and unwarranted. There’s a gentle outro right after this that at least ends things on a good note, though.

The Atomised remix is pretty solid as well. The atmosphere here also feels very spacious and heavenly, with some ethereal piano and spacey chimes. There’s a lot of space between the different instruments but the sound is still very warm and cozy. I definitely like the first half of the song, but things take a turn in the second half, which is largely dominated by a repetitive, mechanical synth loop. It’s not bad, but it’s pretty uninteresting compared to the first half and doesn’t really feel like it belongs in the same song. Decent remix, but not as good as either of the actual Machinedrum songs I got earlier.

F Maj Pixie - Squarepusher Remix: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
Atomised - Machinedrum Remix: 6.5 x 2 = 13.0

Sacul - Zardonic

The vocals feel quite corny to me, but this is still fun.

Well, this is a style that I can’t help but have some strong feelings about! And my feelings here are somewhat mixed. Against All Odds is a heavy, energetic crossover between metal and drum ‘n’ bass that definitely reminds me of some Pendulum and Celldweller. Starting with the positives first, the lead guitar melodies here are super well-done. I don’t really know how to describe it, but the note choices here feel quite unexpected and interesting. I’m not entirely sure how much of this is real guitar; the rhythm guitar definitely sounds real, though it has a really fuzzy tone that does a good job at blending it in with the electronic instrumentation. The guitar solo at the end definitely has a synthetic quality to it though, especially during the high-pitched tapping bits. Either way, it’s a damn awesome solo. I love how it starts off shreddy then calms down a bit and focuses on some slower harmonized melodies which extend into the song’s outro super smoothly. It’s a very strong ending. The drums I’m a bit more mixed about; they have that typical drum ‘n’ bass sound and rhythm, which works fine, but they’re mixed super loud and there’s something really rubbery about the kick and snare sounds that doesn’t feel quite right to me. Finally there’s the vocals, which are easily the weakest element here. The vocalist has this somewhat obnoxious shouting style which I can’t help but describe as “bro-y”, and let me make this clear: no one should ever, EVER unironically shout “HERE WE GO MOTHERFUCKERS” to the listener in a studio recording. And he does it twice! It’s kinda hard to take seriously. The vocals don’t ruin the song, but they certainly don’t do it any favors either. It’s a fun song, but also a bit silly, and I don’t feel like that was intentional.

My problems with the vocals carry over to Vigilante, but they might be even worse here because of how non-stop they are. The rhythm and riffs in the verses and choruses give me some serious nu-metal vibes, and not really the good kind. The chorus in particular has some real “JUMP THA FUCK UP” energy going on, which doesn’t sit too well with me. There is something about the unrelenting riffs and percussion that I like though, and the song gets a whole lot better in the second half. There’s less vocals, that rhythmic switch-up before the final verse is awesome as hell, and we get more rad guitar solos. The finale here is also super badass and really ends things off strong. Overall, there’s a lot of good stuff and a lot of not-so-good stuff here, which balances out to two songs that I think are pretty good, but definitely far from the best fusions of metal and electronic music I’ve heard.

Against All Odds: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
Vigilante: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0

The Walrus - Bonobo

Unsurprisingly chill. I quite like the second song here.

When you originally sent me this then sent something completely different as a replacement not long afterwards, I couldn’t help but be curious if you had accidentally missed out on sending me something really good. Well, due to the circumstances, I’m getting to listen to them now and… they’re pretty good! They definitely fall within the brand of chillness that I came to expect from your submissions. Cirrus in particular is very hypnotic and meditative. I was originally worried that it’d be too basic for me, but while there’s not much in the way of hooks, there’s actually quite a lot going on here if you listen closely. The layers of percussion are quite intricate, but they all work together to create a single unified beat that feels simultaneously complex and simple. It’s a great foundation for the shimmery chimes and the subtle layers of synths that ebb and flow on top. It’s not the most memorable song out there, but it’s really nice while it’s on and the atmosphere is really enjoyable.

Stay The Same is a lovely piece of electronic folk. Everything here sounds great and contributes towards the warm, summer-y, and naturalistic atmosphere. The gentle acoustic guitar and the music box are really pretty and ethereal, and the vocalist has the perfect voice for something like this. Her voice is soft and gentle, but it also sounds the slightest bit raspy and strained, which in this context just makes it sound more natural and intimate. And to top it all off, there’s that smooth, lovely saxophone. I’m really glad I got to hear this one; it’s not the absolute best thing you sent me this roulette, but it’s definitely up there, and I didn’t enjoy anything else quite as much this round.

Cirrus: 6.5 x 2 = 13.0
Stay The Same: 7.5 x 2 + 1 = 16.0

Ariich - Röyksopp

This could be a grower, but right now I’m not getting much to grab onto here.

Alpha Male was one of the hardest songs to get a hold of this round; even after listening to it a few times I struggled to remember anything about it, but eventually it clicked. The sound here is quite cool; it feels quite reserved, but still has a lot going on. After a somewhat long intro, things kick into a solid groove with this funky synth line in the background that somewhat resembles a guitar. It sounds great and is one of the most recognizable things about the song. I also like the  lush synth pads and the nice low-key piano lines. Nothing’s all that flashy, but this song is a good example of not needing to sound flashy to sound good. It’s not the most dynamic song either; there’s a bit of a climax around six minutes when a more prominent synth lead comes in, but it’s still pretty reserved. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though. Good song, though maybe a bit underwhelming for a final submission.

The Girl And The Robot is a very different tune and not one I’m getting much out of. The production has a somewhat campy sci-fi quality to it, between the choir samples and the filtered synth bass. It feels appropriate for the song’s title I suppose, but I don’t find it that interesting. I’m also not a huge fan of the vocal melodies or song structure. There doesn’t seem to be a proper chorus here, and instead it just feels like an endless string of verses that all sound very similar to each other. The only part of this I really enjoyed is the ending when some nice dramatic strings come in, which are effectively utilized for a strong climax and a somewhat tense and spooky outro. That’s pretty much all I whole-heartedly enjoyed here though; it’s not a bad song, but it’s not something that I find all that appealing.

Alpha Male: 7.0 x 2 = 14.0
The Girl And The Robot: 6.0 x 2 = 12.0

And with that...

Drum roll please...

...the FINAL RESULTS!

:djhef: ---FINAL RESULTS--- :djhef:

1: The Walrus - 129
2: Sacul - 127.5
3: Ariich - 126
4: Elite - 122
4: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 122
6: Cyril - 121.5
7: Puppies_On_Acid - 121
8: Evermind - 118.5
9: Romdrums - 117

The Walrus has won another one of my roulettes! Two in a row! And he isn't even around to see it... :sadpanda: Still, he definitely earned the win with extremely consistent submissions and some really great songs.

Well this was definitely an experience! I'm sure both the nature of this roulette and my questionable tastes made it hard for some of y'all to find stuff to send, but regardless, I'm glad I ran this and I'm glad each and every one of you participated. I definitely think I'm more well-versed on electronic music now, and have a better understanding on what I like and dislike about it. I also now have quite a few artists I need to check out more, so I'd say mission accomplish! Thank you all for playing, hope you had a good time. :)

:djhef:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #745 on: March 25, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »
Well, I didn't have much hope for a massive come from behind victory in the final round, but I thought IAMX would do a little better than that. Oh well.

Fun roulette though!!

Congrats to The Walrus/Kattelox/Tusks/Firewings
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #746 on: March 25, 2021, 09:30:18 PM »
those are imo the best songs on the album, so  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: March 25, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
Well, we were supposed to save the best for the last round, right? :lol And the best thing, I didn't even finish last despite occupying that sweet last place for the whole roulette.

Thank you for running this one, it was fun!

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #748 on: March 26, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »

Yes, it would be :corn:
Yep. :lol

Ah well, never mind - for some reason my judgement (or maybe Buddy's taste) deteriorated in the last few rounds.

Glad I got to introduce you to some stuff you liked a lot though, thanks for having me!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #749 on: March 26, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
4th place, yay!

thanks, rom with drums!
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #750 on: March 26, 2021, 04:20:15 PM »
The Walrus is technically not a user anymore so that means I win rite? :neverusethis:

Yeah Zardonic's music I don't take very seriously, it's the kind of shitty fun I enjoy every once in a while :lol.

Glad to have shown you some cool stuff, this was quite fun! Btw, I've got a handful of submissions that didn't make the cut if you're interested :corn