Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 119831 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2022, 11:25:43 AM »
Is there any difference to the Happy Holidays download and the A Dramatic Tour Of Events release besides the running order? ARe they the same files? Sound any different?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2022, 05:24:24 PM »
Jesus fuck, these album covers

I know!

Meant to represent the view (pun not intended) from a kaleidoscope I think.

But why? What does a kaleidoscope have anything to do with DT?

They're clearly trolling Mike Portnoy.  :o ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2022, 09:03:08 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »
Jokes on DT - Kaleidoscope is often regarded as TA's weakest album.

Also, The Astonishing is usually abbreviated as "TA", the same abbreviation for Transatlantic, who produce very epic and much loved symphonic prog albums. Meanwhile, The Astonishing has probably been the most divisive album DT has put out since Mangini joined. So...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:33 AM »
Does anyone who has bought it know why "The Majesty Demos" has 3CDs if its length is 1 hour and 17 minutes?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2022, 08:00:26 AM »
Does anyone who has bought it know why "The Majesty Demos" has 3CDs if its length is 1 hour and 17 minutes?

Where does it say it has 3 CDs? Are you sure you aren't mistaking the vinyl release, which would include 3 disks (2 vinyl, 1 CD)?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2022, 08:40:19 AM »
That's got to be a mistake.  IIRC the original release was 2 discs, one with the Berklee demos and one with the original demo album release.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2022, 08:54:18 AM »
Is there any difference to the Happy Holidays download and the A Dramatic Tour Of Events release besides the running order? ARe they the same files? Sound any different?

I never got around to listening to the Happy Holidays set and I'm finally amending that with the LNF release...this is really good! Great performances.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2022, 09:20:17 AM »

Where does it say it has 3 CDs? Are you sure you aren't mistaking the vinyl release, which would include 3 disks (2 vinyl, 1 CD)?

-Marc.

Century Media (3CD Digipak): https://centurymedia.store/product/Y4CE487COMBO/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-archives-the-majesty-demos-19851986-3-cd-digipak-digital-download?cp=102832_103046_104294

Amazon (Number of Discs: 3): https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Dream-Theater/dp/B09M8WWZ8C/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=110GPKL3DORS1&keywords=Majesty+Demos&qid=1642778360&sprefix=majesty+demos%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-1

That's got to be a mistake.  IIRC the original release was 2 discs, one with the Berklee demos and one with the original demo album release.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a mistake, and as Zircon said, the original was only 2 CDs. I think someone at Inside Out sent vendors the wrong information about the CD set. So far, nothing seems to indicate that there are any other differences in the track list of this release and the original Ytsejam Records release.

-Marc.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
Your post is a mistake, too. It was only one CD that had everything on it.  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2022, 09:57:09 AM »
Please God don't let there be 3 CDs worth of Majesty demos.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song - 12" dance mix

:djhef:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
Your post is a mistake, too. It was only one CD that had everything on it.  :biggrin:

Was it?...hold on...

https://www.discogs.com/release/2906395-Dream-Theater-Official-Bootleg-The-Majesty-Demos-1985-1986

...dang, you're right. See, I thought so, but Zircon's post made me think otherwise. But yeah, it really is only just one CD, since it's under 80 minutes. I guess Mike figured it was easier that way rather than split it up just to keep the original 6-song demo on its own disc. Maybe Zircon just thought it was 2 CDs because a lot of those early demos releases were two CDs?

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2022, 10:11:27 AM »
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song - 12" dance mix

:djhef:
Honestly, I would rather hear that.

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:02 AM »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2022, 03:07:31 PM »
Maybe Zircon just thought it was 2 CDs because a lot of those early demos releases were two CDs?

Indeed.  I had a niggling suspicion I was wrong (hence the "IIRC" in my post), but I had to run to an appointment so didn't take time to double-check.  Thanks to Scotty for the correction.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
I forgot how good A Vision is...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »

Quite good! I prefer the version with Charlie, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2022, 01:24:55 AM »

I haven't heard that one, but I think I would also like it. I could hear Charlies vocals fitting perfect over that music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2022, 09:46:30 AM »

I haven't heard that one, but I think I would also like it. I could hear Charlies vocals fitting perfect over that music.

It's on the WDADU demos release. That version is about 4 minutes shorter, but it's somehow better. They trimmed all the extra stuff and made it better. Also, Charlie is a better singer overall :P

Hopefully they re-release that one soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »

It's on the WDADU demos release. That version is about 4 minutes shorter, but it's somehow better. They trimmed all the extra stuff and made it better. Also, Charlie is a better singer overall :P

Hopefully they re-release that one soon.

Yes! The ‘89 Xmas demos are the treasure of the WDADU demos official bootleg!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2022, 11:54:11 AM »
I got in these Archives all in and bought them on vinyl, but since the Octavarium Tour pic from 2005 was mis-used on a cover, I began gaining some doubt over this. The band put so much careness and energy in the artwork, the books and the production when they're releasing a new album. And they did not mention these Archives at all at their own official canals. They doesn't seem to care.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2022, 10:42:27 PM »
Please God don't let there be 3 CDs worth of Majesty demos.

Well, if you want to get technical, depending on when they changed their name in '88 or early '89, there are 3 CDs worth of Majesty demos.  :biggrin:
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2022, 10:44:05 PM »
I got in these Archives all in and bought them on vinyl, but since the Octavarium Tour pic from 2005 was mis-used on a cover, I began gaining some doubt over this.

Which release did they use it on?

My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2022, 11:51:10 PM »
sfam2112 they used it inside the gatefold of When Dream and Day Reunite.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
sfam2112 they used it inside the gatefold of When Dream and Day Reunite.
Is that a misuse?  Wasn't that show performed on the Octavarium tour?

Or was it the Train of Thought tour?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2022, 08:39:58 AM »
Train Of Thought.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2022, 08:43:10 AM »
Train Of Thought.
Still close enough to be on honest mistake.  Not bad enough to say "they don't care".

Trust me, the audience for these releases is small.  If they didn't care, they wouldn't be coming out at all.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
Trust me, the audience for these releases is small.
But the audience for these releases are going to be the diehards who want everything and are much more meticulous than the average-joe fan. So no, it's not acceptable.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2022, 09:17:46 AM »
Not sure if the LNF releases come with any, but one thing that made the Ytsejam releases special were MP’s liner notes to give some background on the recordings.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2022, 09:19:09 AM »
And since Inside Out is releasing them, not a band-made label like YtseJam Records, I have to wonder if IO approached the band with the idea for the LNFA as a way to have some income during the pandemic? I know they said they were going to re-release the old YJR stuff at some point, but the timing seems convenient. Either way, they are likely getting a decent amount for these monthly bare-bones releases, especially those insanely expensive and limited signed vinyl sets.

I'm not saying the band shouldn't be making money, but it would have been nice to see a little more care and thought put into these products between using wrong tour pics and the unusual album art. Makes me glad I was able to get all of the YJR stuff when it was new, especially since I've not heard or read any reviews stating that the new remasters are any better than the original releases.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2022, 09:20:17 AM »
Not sure if the LNF releases come with any, but one thing that made the Ytsejam releases special were MP’s liner notes to give some background on the recordings.

AFAIK, the LFNA albums just have personnel credits and when/where things were recorded. No multi-paragraph essays or even foreword introductions about the album's material. Like I said above, bare-bones.

-Marc.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2022, 09:44:09 AM »
Given that MP's production credits have been removed (at least judging by what I saw on the Majesty demos release) and going by what others have already said about some of the other LNFA reissues, I doubt any of his essays that were on the YJR releases are going to be included on any future releases.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »
Given that MP's production credits have been removed (at least judging by what I saw on the Majesty demos release) and going by what others have already said about some of the other LNFA reissues, I doubt any of his essays that were on the YJR releases are going to be included on any future releases.

I don't know what the plans are for future releases once the reissues are completed, but MP's essays really gave you a glimpse into the band. Those releases were special for that.