Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213666 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1855 on: July 14, 2017, 06:48:26 AM »
I dont think the TV channel reasoning works so well in this instance, because lots of us like myself, want to keep the MP channel on.  We like his music, and for the most part, like his presence on social media.  It's just that there are those times where his posts are extremely confusing and the wording often leads to either a misunderstanding or what comes off as negativity in some fashion.  I think it's fair to discuss those times and even be critical of it in some instances.  We definitely over analyze things here at DTF, but I don't think that all of us here want to turn the channel off because we are mostly still fans. 

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1856 on: July 14, 2017, 07:00:13 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bertie.

Madman Shepherd - really good couple of posts.

I dont think the TV channel reasoning works so well in this instance, because lots of us like myself, want to keep the MP channel on.  We like his music, and for the most part, like his presence on social media.  It's just that there are those times where his posts are extremely confusing and the wording often leads to either a misunderstanding or what comes off as negativity in some fashion.  I think it's fair to discuss those times and even be critical of it in some instances.  We definitely over analyze things here at DTF, but I don't think that all of us here want to turn the channel off because we are mostly still fans. 

I agree. I'm not even a big social media guy, but when I do check it, I'm still following MP in a variety of ways because he is and will always be one of my favorite drummers.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1857 on: July 14, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »
Madman Shepherd, SwedishGoose and mikeyd23, thanks for your kind words. And yes, cancer is a bitch.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1858 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
So much uproar about such a small difference! I admit I didn't notice the difference until now and I don't care. I love the band and the logo (both versions), it's stolen anyway :laugh:

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4938868763_9001645c5c_b.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sun-embroidery.jpg

Exactly.... but don't write that on Charlie's FB auction page 😉

EXACTLY!!

write it on Kevin Moore's

On a side not image if Kevin Moore did this. When people bashed Rudess on Twitter for being too flashy and bring back Moore, if retweeted all of those.

There would still be certain people that scream, "YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!" or "HE HAS THE RIGHT TO HIS OPINION!!!1!one!!"

I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof. And we all know that is never going to happen.
I am not advocating his style of social media, but he has always done straight honest answers back to the beginning of DT.
It seems that there is a large contingent just waiting to pounce the second a tweet, FB post or interview to comment on how he's an uncaring unthinking douche playing the victim. I know, it's the DTF way. What happened to the day when if you didn't like a TV show you changed the channel, now a days you get on social media and scream until nobody can watch it.
Portnoy could come up with a cure for cancer and there will be plenty of people to bash him because his tweet didn't acknowledge is former assistant.

As most of you know, I did a lot of work for DT and now MP. I don't really care one way or the other what he posts on social media. I'm all for constructive commentary and discussion. But he is who he is. All this stuff is not new, and whether he has put DT in the past or not shouldn't matter, it's his business. Every disagreeable tweet, the reaction is like you(all) have never seen it before, as a matter a fact I think people follow his feeds just to bash him. Is it that much fun to be so negative? Just change the channel.

There's a lot to comment on here but lets just start with this:  Why don't YOU change the channel?  You apparently dislike DTF so much yet you keep coming back.  You throw around these bizarre accusations about how much we hate Portnoy so fucking much that he could cure cancer and we would complain. BTW, that's a pretty tasteless accusation as I'm sure many posters here have been affected by cancer in some way or another and would love to see cancer cured, even if it comes from that evil Portnoy who we just love to hate even though every poster here has said positive things about him at one point or another.  Some in this very thread.  So if we hate him so much and are so ready to pounce, why do the vast majority of posters here reserve their criticism for when he acts tactlessly?  Admittedly, he does so quite often so it may seem like a lot but hey, you could change the channel. 

Perhaps those critical of Portnoy should start acting as hysterical as some of his supporters. 

Dude, I have no beef with you, but don't play the martyr card.  You're worried about some nebulous "cancer survivor" so you pounce on Bob, but some of the ACTUAL stuff said about Mike that his family, that his KIDS might read, no one seems to give a shit about.    Please.    My dad's a multiple cancer survivor (just had a basal cell carcinoma removed a week ago) as well as non-Hodgkin's.  Having said that?    I'm very much fine with saying that if Mike cured cancer, someone would complain because he was "blowing his own horn" or "didn't thank his former assistant".   Bob's right as rain on this.  Just look at the number of posts here commenting not on what I have said, but about my mental (or social) state for saying it. "No one could RATIONALLY think that..." or "You must be Mike using an alias!" (or working for Mike, or some such shit), as if the anti-Mike position is simply just the most normal pose in the world and there's no room for any counter thought to that.   

"Portnoy could film himself slaughtering puppies and you would still defend him!"  Sounds pretty absurd, eh?  I guess you can't handle that we call it like we see it.  When he acts in a weird way, well, we call it like we see it.  And no, I don't follow Mike just to bash him.  In fact, I don't follow him at all.  I follow Charlie and saw his bizarre comment. 

Except, no.   I know I have readily conceded I would not have posted in Charlie's thread like that.  I won't speak for Bob - he's capable of that himself - but I read in his post  that he acknowledges that Mike isn't perfect.  All he seems to be saying - and I'm saying the same thing - is that it's not always necessary to jump to the least flattering conclusion EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. 

But as for your original point, believe it or not, I wouldn't necessarily require physical proof to believe you.  I've remained very open minded through this whole ordeal.  Laugh if you want, but why would I praise these Shattered Fortress performances if I hate everything that the cancer curing Portnoy has ever done? Seems like you just want to dangle a line.  "Look how much I know!"

Well, we know you know a lot of insider info. 

For what it's worth, I also appreciate your work with DT and no difference of opinion is going to jade my view of that or Mike's contributions for that matter.

Again, more about WHO is talking and WHY they are talking than about what he ACTUALLY said.  I don't know Bob well at all, but I have met him and interacted with him on more than one occasion, and in my experience, there isn't a person on this board that is LESS interested in broadcasting his bona fides about "who he knows!" and "how special he is!".   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1859 on: July 14, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »

Isn't that partly on the listener/reader, though?   Some of this stuff - not all; i'll say again, since it keeps getting missed, that Mike isn't perfect here - is subject to interpretation.  Someone here keeps saying that the tweet about the logo is calling DT "dumb" and nowhere does it say or even hint that that is the reason why they might have missed something.  That's not on Mike at all; that's someone else injecting their point of view into the dialogue.   That's kind of the part I'm talking about.   I'm not on social media (largely for this very reason) but I'm merely saying that there's a middle ground between "Perfect Mike!" and "Passive aggressive dickhead", which seems to be the consensus here.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
Partly, sure.  You interpret it one way and I interpret it another, but if MP doesn't want to leave it up to interpretation (and therefore have people interpreting his words wrongly, or negatively) then it still comes down to his poor wording sometimes.  The response to Dominici is a great example of how he can be confusing. 

Saying in an interview (that recent one after the show was very good btw) that he is on good terms with most of DT and has put the past in the past and then retweeting something that says DT is not good anymore, leaves people confused about what he really thinks.  Of course, I can still interpret it one way and you another and context matters, but it's still MP's own words that ultimately lead to the confusion.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1861 on: July 14, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »

Isn't that partly on the listener/reader, though?   Some of this stuff - not all; i'll say again, since it keeps getting missed, that Mike isn't perfect here - is subject to interpretation.  Someone here keeps saying that the tweet about the logo is calling DT "dumb" and nowhere does it say or even hint that that is the reason why they might have missed something.  That's not on Mike at all; that's someone else injecting their point of view into the dialogue.   That's kind of the part I'm talking about.   I'm not on social media (largely for this very reason) but I'm merely saying that there's a middle ground between "Perfect Mike!" and "Passive aggressive dickhead", which seems to be the consensus here.

Yes, there is some interpretation but part of it is his past tweets and reaction to things. We can pretty much surmise from the past what his feelings are on the DT split so at least I take that into consideration. Like when he said something about Lars.

"And to me, I would rather watch somebody like Lars Ulrich on stage than one of these technical drummers that can do quadruple paradiddles at 240bpm. To me, that's boring. Who cares about that? I'd rather be entertained and go to a show and watch a drummer and have somebody that makes me actually smile."

He DOESN'T actually name Mangini but based on his passive aggressive nature in the past I took that to be a slight against him. If Neil Peart siad the same exact quote I would give him a pass. Although I can't imagine Neil putting down other drummers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1862 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
I don't really have much desire to engage in this big discussion, but I must say that despite MP's statements, I never get the impression he is actually in a happy place.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
I don't really have much desire to engage in this big discussion, but I must say that despite MP's statements, I never get the impression he is actually in a happy place.

That is the feeling I get too... I think he regrets leaving Dream Theater. That was his descision though so he needs to get over it. Maybe the Shttered Fortress tour can help him in that regard but that will possibly only make him regret it even more.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1864 on: July 14, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

That is the feeling I get too... I think he regrets leaving Dream Theater. That was his descision though so he needs to get over it. Maybe the Shttered Fortress tour can help him in that regard but that will possibly only make him regret it even more.

I thought it would but I think it is making him regret it even more. Opening old wounds so to speak. Plus and this is pure speculation on my part but I think he figured DT would fail without him and would have to ask him back.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1865 on: July 14, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
I have no way of pointing to sources, but I distinctly remember an MP statement that he thought that after DT stewing on his departure for a bit they would get back together. He was totally blindsided when DT instead was already shopping for another drummer.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1866 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »

I thought it would but I think it is making him regret it even more. Opening old wounds so to speak. Plus and this is pure speculation on my part but I think he figured DT would fail without him and would have to ask him back.

I've always thought of the position MP put them in was more like a hostage situation....with him never in a million years believing that they'd call his 'bluff' and not give in to his demands.

I don't think he ever intended to leave nor thought they'd say 'fine' see you. He over estimated his leverage IMO.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1867 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »

OF COURSE he regrets leaving Dream Theater. Click the Mladen sig here in my profile to something I wrote up years ago. It's pretty obviously he took a chance, and gambled the band would fall in line and wouldn't do anything without him -- and he was wrong. And he has regretted it ever since, trying to find a way to get back in. And all he has really done since then is bide his time doing a bunch of other things that interest him, hoping, at some point, he could make it happen that he rejoined.

Now, years later, he realizes that probably isn't going to happen. So, he does Shattered Fortress, trying to both celebrate and recapture his past, and is starting a prog metal band, that I am sure will play a track or two of Dream Theater in its sets that Mike helped write. He probably hopes that by having Derek, a kick ass songwriting team, and a great singer, that he can get back to the level DT is at, to bookend his career and have something a bit more stable.

We'll see...

I've never met Mike Portnoy. I know people who know him, but I have not met the man. So going ONLY from his public persona, and reading between the lines, and taking some commentary from those that do know him -- he's not a bad person. He's a sensitive guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve. He is an uber fan of things he likes, so he prides himself on delivering that same level of fandom and access to people who are fans of the music he helps create.

Sometimes, that passion turns into putting his foot into his mouth. And he certainly has a streak of anger when it comes to DT, and that, at times, leaks through when he talks about DT in the public eye. But can you blame him? I mean, the band that he co-founded, wrote with, built into this juggernaut (remember, it was Mike that did not want to go commercial on FII -- John sided with the label -- and they bounced back with SFAM, which was spurred by Mike), and then he made a poor choice trying to step away.

Had Mike simply backed off all his self-imposed "duties" for a couple of record and touring cycles, and just been a drummer, he probably would have given himself time to do some of those other projects and not leave DT. But instead, his ego got the best of him, and boom, he's out of the band. Mistakes happen. He knows it. The band knows it. But while we're years down the road at this point, too much has likely been said (publicly and privately) for DT to bring Mike Portnoy back in, unless Mike Mangini leaves of his own accord.

If Mangini ever decided he didn't want DT any longer, I think a big sit down between Portnoy and the DT guys would happen, and they'd make it happen. But that's only if Mangini decided that HE wanted to leave. If he's content and happy, the band likely will never get rid of him. He's too good, and obviously, he doesn't talk as much as Portnoy does, so it's easier to control the messaging...

Portnoy isn't a bad guy. Neither are the DT guys. Shit happens, you move on. Portnoy hasn't been able to move on as well as the other guys have. And that was expected (at least by me). But if Shattered Fortress and his new band ends up letting Mike rebuild his prog metal career and provide stability, and compete (the new band) at times with DT, I think Mike will be better for it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1868 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »

I've always thought of the position MP put them in was more like a hostage situation....with him never in a million years believing that they'd call his 'bluff' and not give in to his demands.

I don't think he ever intended to leave nor thought they'd say 'fine' see you. He over estimated his leverage IMO.

Yes I agree and when he tried to get back in, it was just for the "fans"

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-i-tried-to-rejoin-dream-theater-but-was-rebuffed.html#ypvmiUXm8jseMDem.99

Even in that new video interview the one that is part 1 of 3, the interviewer asks if he is doing the Shattered Fortress for a present to himself, he says no for the fans. Then why not play A Change of Seasons just because DT is playing it. Since his band seems to be far better than DT and I'm sure the fans would love to hear that played by his band.

Damn, I am sounding snarky. :(

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1869 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
First, as far as you go Stadler, you are clearly not being rational.  I didn't refer to some cancer survivor.  I merely said everyone here has been touched by cancer in some way (knowing someone personally or having it themselves), and Bob's little analogy was just ridiculous.  You didn't touch the fact that all of us here have praised Mike at some point or another and then slam us and claim you and Bob are more open minded because you passively said his social media actions are sometimes not preferable.  Give me a break. 

I don't think there is another poster on this board that manipulates words as much as you do.  I mostly just ignored your wordy diatribes and bizarre irrational arguments but I for whatever reason decided to reengage.  You decided you would down with the ship at any costs and you find yourself on the ocean floor.  I think it's back to turning the channel on you.

Yes, there is some interpretation but part of it is his past tweets and reaction to things. We can pretty much surmise from the past what his feelings are on the DT split so at least I take that into consideration. Like when he said something about Lars.

"And to me, I would rather watch somebody like Lars Ulrich on stage than one of these technical drummers that can do quadruple paradiddles at 240bpm. To me, that's boring. Who cares about that? I'd rather be entertained and go to a show and watch a drummer and have somebody that makes me actually smile."

He DOESN'T actually name Mangini but based on his passive aggressive nature in the past I took that to be a slight against him. If Neil Peart siad the same exact quote I would give him a pass. Although I can't imagine Neil putting down other drummers.

This particular situation was interesting because I remember hearing Mangini talk about paradiddles and thinking, "I've never heard of that term."  Not too long later Portnoy is talking about how he doesn't care about paradiddles or playing 240bpm or whatever.  Hmmm, pretty obvious what he's talking about here. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1870 on: July 14, 2017, 10:42:38 AM »

OF COURSE he regrets leaving Dream Theater. Click the Mladen sig here in my profile to something I wrote up years ago. It's pretty obviously he took a chance, and gambled the band would fall in line and wouldn't do anything without him -- and he was wrong. And he has regretted it ever since, trying to find a way to get back in. And all he has really done since then is bide his time doing a bunch of other things that interest him, hoping, at some point, he could make it happen that he rejoined.

Now, years later, he realizes that probably isn't going to happen. So, he does Shattered Fortress, trying to both celebrate and recapture his past, and is starting a prog metal band, that I am sure will play a track or two of Dream Theater in its sets that Mike helped write. He probably hopes that by having Derek, a kick ass songwriting team, and a great singer, that he can get back to the level DT is at, to bookend his career and have something a bit more stable.

We'll see...

I've never met Mike Portnoy. I know people who know him, but I have not met the man. So going ONLY from his public persona, and reading between the lines, and taking some commentary from those that do know him -- he's not a bad person. He's a sensitive guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve. He is an uber fan of things he likes, so he prides himself on delivering that same level of fandom and access to people who are fans of the music he helps create.

Sometimes, that passion turns into putting his foot into his mouth. And he certainly has a streak of anger when it comes to DT, and that, at times, leaks through when he talks about DT in the public eye. But can you blame him? I mean, the band that he co-founded, wrote with, built into this juggernaut (remember, it was Mike that did not want to go commercial on FII -- John sided with the label -- and they bounced back with SFAM, which was spurred by Mike), and then he made a poor choice trying to step away.

Had Mike simply backed off all his self-imposed "duties" for a couple of record and touring cycles, and just been a drummer, he probably would have given himself time to do some of those other projects and not leave DT. But instead, his ego got the best of him, and boom, he's out of the band. Mistakes happen. He knows it. The band knows it. But while we're years down the road at this point, too much has likely been said (publicly and privately) for DT to bring Mike Portnoy back in, unless Mike Mangini leaves of his own accord.

If Mangini ever decided he didn't want DT any longer, I think a big sit down between Portnoy and the DT guys would happen, and they'd make it happen. But that's only if Mangini decided that HE wanted to leave. If he's content and happy, the band likely will never get rid of him. He's too good, and obviously, he doesn't talk as much as Portnoy does, so it's easier to control the messaging...

Portnoy isn't a bad guy. Neither are the DT guys. Shit happens, you move on. Portnoy hasn't been able to move on as well as the other guys have. And that was expected (at least by me). But if Shattered Fortress and his new band ends up letting Mike rebuild his prog metal career and provide stability, and compete (the new band) at times with DT, I think Mike will be better for it.

Good post. I agree Mike is not a bad guy at all, I just wish he was a bit more honest with his remarks and would show a little humility. His drumming and lyrics in DT were always great and fun to listen to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1871 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:15 AM »

We'll see...

Great post. It should really close the loop on the last, what, 20 pages of this thread. I'm begging one of the mods to end this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1872 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
First, as far as you go Stadler, you are clearly not being rational.  I didn't refer to some cancer survivor.  I merely said everyone here has been touched by cancer in some way (knowing someone personally or having it themselves), and Bob's little analogy was just ridiculous.  You didn't touch the fact that all of us here have praised Mike at some point or another and then slam us and claim you and Bob are more open minded because you passively said his social media actions are sometimes not preferable.  Give me a break. 

I don't think there is another poster on this board that manipulates words as much as you do.  I mostly just ignored your wordy diatribes and bizarre irrational arguments but I for whatever reason decided to reengage.  You decided you would down with the ship at any costs and you find yourself on the ocean floor.  I think it's back to turning the channel on you.

This particular situation was interesting because I remember hearing Mangini talk about paradiddles and thinking, "I've never heard of that term."  Not too long later Portnoy is talking about how he doesn't care about paradiddles or playing 240bpm or whatever.  Hmmm, pretty obvious what he's talking about here.

This ties into that, this is from an interview when MP was in DT.

Akhil Pa asks, Is there any drummer whose style you feel but just can't emulate?

"Hmmm. That's a good one. I don't know. Any drummer who's been a big influence on me, I've always been able to replicate what they do and work up a mock version of their style - to a certain degree. John Bonham, Keith Moon, Ringo, Neil Peart - I've played their music in all of my tribute bands. I feel them, I know their style, and when I played their parts in those tribute bands I was able to replicate them respectfully and somewhat authentically.

"There's other drummers: Terry Bozzio is one of my favorites, and I feel a strong presence of his style within me. As much as people love to bash on him and hate him, Lars Ulrich is great - there's a lot of him in what I do. Stewart Copeland, too - I love to emulate what he does."

"Anybody I can't replicate? I don't know. Maybe some of the super, super-technical guys like Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati and Mike Mangini - they do things that I physically can't do. But the drummers who really influenced me, they're all in me and they come out, whether I like it or not."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dream-theaters-mike-portnoy-answers-your-questions-256514#

Also

"As far as a band making me jump ship from Dream Theater…I don't think I could ever leave Dream Theater permanently. I could see Dream Theater taking a break. I'll be very happy to play with Avenged Sevenfold, but I couldn't do it instead of Dream Theater. The fulfillment I get in Dream Theater…I've spent 25 years building the band and quote-unquote 'leading' this band, so I could never really leave it. It's my baby. Even if Rush or Metallica offered me the gig, I couldn't leave Dream Theater. It's a home I always need to return to."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1873 on: July 14, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm begging one of the mods to end this.

Why? If we can't discuss MP and DT on a DT forum that would be kinda weird. As long as no one is breaking the rules I don't see why it should be ended.

Didn't MP ban all DT related discussion on his forum? I'd hate to see that kind of thing happen here.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1874 on: July 14, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
i'll say again, since it keeps getting missed, that Mike isn't perfect here - is subject to interpretation.

But this isn't the point, it never was, and none of us is complaining because "he is not perfect"!, that'd be painfully absurd.. Actually, I don't even think a reasonable person would think there are human beings who are perfect at all.. The problem isn't that, but, as we've been saying in this thread EVERY. SINGLE. TIME:

I just wish he would think a little bit more before posting sometimes. I can not see any background story that would change that.

That's all.. And I know there are MP haters that say and would say he's the worst person in the world and what not, but we aren't those guys, they're not here, or at least they're not posting in this thread.. So, as we're doing with Mike's comments (talking about what we read, and not about we don't know, as obvious as that is), I'd ask you to do the same, and talk about what we're saying and not exaggerating our complaints as if they were a life sentence for him - for instance, the cancer analogy doesn't apply in the minimal, it's just ridiculous..

See, I love what MP has done musically, and would be the last person in trying to see something wrong with what he posts in social media.. I actually think he is THE BEST DRUMMER, EVER, besides being a great influence in me in more than one way.. That's my personal opinion about his musical/artistic talent over other drummer's that I have heard, and you can imagine I don't precisely enjoy when he does this kind of things.. But then, again, and as you said yourself about his comment in Charlie's post, that you wouldn't have written that, the same we think about other of his posts that we're talking about in this thread..

We, unlike MP, are explaining ourselves, and telling the full "story", the meaning behind our comments or reactions, so they should not be interpreted in any conjectural way, whether malicious or kind..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1875 on: July 14, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »

For the record, this thread bugs the hell out of me, but the subject matter an obvious point of discussion here.

I just wish that this incredibly talented group of musicians playing this amazing music and doing it so well wasn't overshadowed and forgotten among some legitimate concerns wrapped in a lot of TMZ bullshit and overly contentious drama.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1876 on: July 14, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »

Why? If we can't discuss MP and DT on a DT forum that would be kinda weird. As long as no one is breaking the rules I don't see why it should be ended.

Didn't MP ban all DT related discussion on his forum? I'd hate to see that kind of thing happen here.

It's not the same. This has been pointless rehashing of nonsense. Anyway, that's my opinion.  :)

For the record, this thread bugs the hell out of me, but the subject matter an obvious point of discussion here.

Thanks Nick. It's appreciated.

Not directing this at Nick..
It's just, what is the point? What are we actually discussing? 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1877 on: July 14, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Away from the whole MP and DT relation argument anyone know if there are any good bootlegs around? Would love to listen to the set again

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1878 on: July 14, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
I hope they don't end this thread, it was bad enough when the MP forum banned all mention of DT after Mike left. Perhaps another thread so people that are interested in The Shattered Fortress tour don't have to sift though all the other stuff. Call it the WTF was Mike thinking?? Thread

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1879 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
I hope they don't end this thread, it was bad enough when the MP forum banned all mention of DT after Mike left. Perhaps another thread so people that are interested in The Shattered Fortress tour don't have to sift though all the other stuff. Call it the WTF was Mike thinking?? Thread

For the record, neither do I. The Shattered Fortress and its developments should be discussed here. I just find the whole psycho analyzing of MP, and his intentions, to be unproductive, in a sense that this has all been said.
And then someone like Bob, who can actually add something to the thread, gets called out.. I guess I can "change the channel"..

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1880 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »

It's not the same. This has been pointless rehashing of nonsense. Anyway, that's my opinion.  :)

How so? MP stopped letting people talk about DT on his forum. I was saying that I hoped we could continue to talk about MP on a DT forum. Not a perfect parallel but definitely related ideas. 

Thanks Nick. It's appreciated.

Not directing this at Nick..
It's just, what is the point? What are we actually discussing?

MP started a band that is touring specifically with the goal of playing DT songs. We are discussing that. Along with that are the things MP does and says publicly revolving around this project and DT in general.  I mean, it's a discussion forum...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1881 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
So..

What other Dream Theater songs would you guys wanna see this band play? It'd be cool to see this line up playing some of the heavier stuff off of SC and BCSL.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1882 on: July 14, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
How so? MP stopped letting people talk about DT on his forum. I was saying that I hoped we could continue to talk about MP on a DT forum. Not a perfect parallel but definitely related ideas. 

It's not even close. MP was basically censoring his forum, which I thought was weak. This isn't a DT forum, but a DT fan forum, so it wouldn't make any sense to censor MP talk, which is not what I was suggesting in any way. I just find that a lot of good intended discussion ends up going around and around into a circle of rehashed nonsense, that's all.

MP started a band that is touring specifically with the goal of playing DT songs. We are discussing that. Along with that are the things MP does and says publicly revolving around this project and DT in general.  I mean, it's a discussion forum...

All true. All good. Seems like rehashing the drama is..I don't know...tired, I guess.

Mike, feel free to respond, but I'm going to drop it. I've derailed the thread enough.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
I know I've contributed to the MP talk so maybe it's best someone just starts a new thread if the discussion wants to be continued. 

I don't think MP's social media usage should take away from the discussion of the music that we all love.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1884 on: July 14, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
So..

What other Dream Theater songs would you guys wanna see this band play? It'd be cool to see this line up playing some of the heavier stuff off of SC and BCSL.

What about Raw Dog? I'm serious.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #1885 on: July 14, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
I checked out videos of this tour on Youtube and found the performances to be pretty good: high energy, faithful reproductions of the original songs.

However, they are just nothing special according to my taste. I mean, I like hearing the songs but as long as the real Dream Theater co-exists with 2/3 founding members, and JLB (who is central to the DT sound for me) - I just have no real interest in MP's band.

I mean, to check it out as a neat youtube video is fine enough, but I'm nowhere near interested enough to actually pay money to go watch it.

And again - my personal opinion only - I find all the claims that "this is the magic that real DT lacks, etc. etc." to be utterly laughable.

For me the analogy is: I have attended Paul McCartney's solo concerts and enjoyed myself, but never once felt like saying "This is the real Beatles; Paul has the real magic; etc. etc."

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #1886 on: July 14, 2017, 12:04:41 PM »
I checked out videos of this tour on Youtube and found the performances to be pretty good: high energy, faithful reproductions of the original songs.

However, they are just nothing special according to my taste. I mean, I like hearing the songs but as long as the real Dream Theater co-exists with 2/3 founding members, and JLB (who is central to the DT sound for me) - I just have no real interest in MP's band.

I mean, to check it out as a neat youtube video is fine enough, but I'm nowhere near interested enough to actually pay money to go watch it.

And again - my personal opinion only - I find all the claims that "this is the magic that real DT lacks, etc. etc." to be utterly laughable, and what's more important: unnecessarily tendentious.

For me the analogy is: I have attended Paul McCartney's solo concerts and enjoyed myself, but never once felt like saying "This is the real Beatles; Paul has the real magic; etc. etc."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1887 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
And then someone like Bob, who can actually add something to the thread, gets called out..

You mean more mystery, right?.. :lol

Seriously though, I agree with mikeyd23.. I don't think is out of place to talk about MP in a MP thread.. But yeah, maybe we can cut with all of this a little bit; I don't think a mod should shut down this thread, but probably should ask us to stay more on Shattered Fortress' topic rather than in MP's comment's topic.. A new thread talking about the latter can be started so people that doesn't want to read the discussion would open this one.. Just a thought..

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1888 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
So..

What about Raw Dog? I'm serious.

I could get behind that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1889 on: July 14, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
So..

Well, but they're already playing one of the two songs that are on those two albums, that are heavy (probably even the heavier stuff actually) and that were lyrically written by MP..

And yeah, I'm all for Raw Dog too! :metal, I don't think DT would ever play it..