Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213649 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1680 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
I look at the whole MP and Shattered Fortress thing like this. It's like a romantic vacation that you planned with your wife for many years. You planned the trip, broke up with your wife for a younger woman(Avenged Sevenfold). The younger woman really does not want you long term. You try to go back to your wife then get mad at her for not taking you back and not taking that vacation that you planned for together.

IF that was the scenario, you're probably right.   But we don't know that for certain.  That was pieced together from comments from M. Shadows and a couple other people not including the "main five".    It wouldn't be the first time a rock star threw another rock star under the bus for increased cred with their fan base (see Nikki Sixx). 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1681 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
Why aren't MP and Labrie in good terms? What happened? Source?

Only speculation, but Mike has talked shit about James over the years, and I'd assume James doesn't like that too much. He may have even been the main person keeping Mike from doing collaborations, which in turn would cause Mike's dislike.

I know I'm the one that usually ignores all the facts out there -  :P - but let's not forget:  "I'm glad he's gone", "We finally feel free", "I can now be the frontman instead of sharing the stage" (yeah, you stepped it up, bud; 51 minutes behind the amp line playing Candy Crush instead of the former 53 minutes); "What he did wasn't really that hard or special"; "We as a band will each take a little piece of what Mike did and we'll do it; you won't notice a thing!" (still waiting on that Ytsejam batch, and the rotating setlists, James!).   

Looks like a lot of out of context quotes.

Also, how many times did James retweet a fan saying how shitty Mike was?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: July 10, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Only speculation, but Mike has talked shit about James over the years, and I'd assume James doesn't like that too much. He may have even been the main person keeping Mike from doing collaborations, which in turn would cause Mike's dislike.

I know I'm the one that usually ignores all the facts out there -  :P - but let's not forget:  "I'm glad he's gone", "We finally feel free", "I can now be the frontman instead of sharing the stage" (yeah, you stepped it up, bud; 51 minutes behind the amp line playing Candy Crush instead of the former 53 minutes); "What he did wasn't really that hard or special"; "We as a band will each take a little piece of what Mike did and we'll do it; you won't notice a thing!" (still waiting on that Ytsejam batch, and the rotating setlists, James!).   

Ah, but I just got lectured for three pages about how "context doesn't matter".  So we're either in or we're out on "context".

As for the latter, I'll have to rely on others.  I don't tweet and I haven't seen a tweet by James in... well, ever, probably. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1683 on: July 10, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »

Ah, but I just got lectured for three pages about how "context doesn't matter".  So we're either in or we're out on "context".

As for the latter, I'll have to rely on others.  I don't tweet and I haven't seen a tweet by James in... well, ever, probably. 

I guess I missed the context discussion, but yes, context matters.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: July 10, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

I guess I missed the context discussion, but yes, context matters.

Then I hate to break it to you, but you and I are on the same side on this.   :)

Offline LPMX

« Reply #1685 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
I don't mean to put you on the spot (and for all I know, you agree with me, so I'm arguing with myself) but if you can accommodate James' frustration, and understand why HE lashed out, why are we not willing to do that with Mike himself?   You either go all in on "face value/no context" or all in on "the whole story matters".   One doesn't get a pass and the other does.
AFAIK, I haven't seen JLB or any of the other DT members do any of those type of comments in the last few years while MP did a couple days ago. Just need to take a look at the stuff he has retweeted or liked on FB in the last weeks. He even removed some of the retweets he did on Twitter after being called out.

Edit: I think it was forgivable from everyone involved to be "emotionnal" the first year after the split up. But after 7 years, to air your dirty laundry in the public eye is bit immature.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1686 on: July 10, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »

You're comparing apples to oranges there.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1687 on: July 10, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
I don't mean to put you on the spot (and for all I know, you agree with me, so I'm arguing with myself) but if you can accommodate James' frustration, and understand why HE lashed out, why are we not willing to do that with Mike himself?   You either go all in on "face value/no context" or all in on "the whole story matters".   One doesn't get a pass and the other does.
AFAIK, I haven't seen JLB or any of the other DT members do any of those type of comments in the last few years while MP did a couple days ago. Just need to take a look at the stuff he has retweeted or liked on FB in the last weeks. He even removed some of the retweets he did on Twitter after being called out.

Edit: I think it was forgivable from everyone involved to be "emotionnal" the first year after the split up. But after 7 years, to air your dirty laundry in the public eye is bit immature.

Did he remove some of the retweets? I thought I was just imagining things.

Offline LPMX

« Reply #1688 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
Did he remove some of the retweets? I thought I was just imagining things.
He certainly did. He retweeted that: https://twitter.com/newmasterg/status/882400110977658880 and it was removed a couple hours later.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1689 on: July 10, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

This. If JL says 10 sentences, and you only quote one, you might be missing or changing the overall meaning of what was said. MP is not being misquoted here - we have what he wants us to see. We don't need to know the behind the scenes to disagree with MP's approach. Maybe every time he likes a negative comment about JL, it's because JL just called him and told him off. That would make Jl a jerk, and perhaps a stalker, but it still doesn't make what MP does right.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1690 on: July 10, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »

This. If JL says 10 sentences, and you only quote one, you might be missing or changing the overall meaning of what was said. MP is not being misquoted here - we have what he wants us to see. We don't need to know the behind the scenes to disagree with MP's approach. Maybe every time he likes a negative comment about JL, it's because JL just called him and told him off. That would make Jl a jerk, and perhaps a stalker, but it still doesn't make what MP does right.

That is a funny image..

PHONE RINGS

Portnoy: Hello?

Labrie: I remember a time
My frail, virgin mind

Portnoy: (Hangs up) Jerk.

PHONE RINGS

Portnoy: Yes?

Labrie: Watched the crimson sunrise
Imagined what it might find...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1691 on: July 10, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
"Kill her. And get James as well."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1692 on: July 10, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
"Kill her. And get James as well."

Kill Victoria?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1693 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1694 on: July 10, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »

Let's see a link for all of those quotes.  Most of them sound made up and/or interpretations of things JLB said that were far more innocuous than your rewrites.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1695 on: July 10, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

Let's see a link for all of those quotes.  Most of them sound made up and/or interpretations of things JLB said that were far more innocuous than your rewrites.

Yes, I'm waiting for the true quotes as well, because I don't recall anything of the sort as said by JLB.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1696 on: July 10, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
The "I can now be the frontman instead of sharing the stage" quote probably refers to the very first question in this interview:

https://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/

It actually makes sense once you take the entire answer into account, because many people would agree that was the case with the summer tour in 2011. Everything appeared much more balanced in terms of the behavior of band members on stage. None of it, however, was a direct slam at MP. JLB actually acknowledges MP was a big personality that wanted to be in the limelight, which I don't think is false. I don't think something that MP would admit to can also be seen as an attack on him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

Gladly; give me some time to find them all and I will.  Not making anything up; have no need to.  I have no dog in this hunt and since my impartiality has been (repeatedly) called into question, so I'm not about to double down on made up shit.   I'm on a call now, and will be at DMV tomorrow morning, but as soon as I can collect them, I will.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1698 on: July 10, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
The only thing I can find is the Progsphere article.

The singer says: “We were talking about how everything is much more balanced and everyone is in their role or their position.

“It’s where things should be on stage where it’s not somebody in the background trying to grab the limelight, when maybe they should just be grooving or whatever.

“But that’s Mike’s character: he’s big and he wants to be in the limelight. The problem with that is it takes away from the bigger picture: the band as a unit. Which the link was just posted on a previous post.

“A lot of people have been commenting since we started out on this tour. They’re saying, ‘It feels more like watching a band, with somebody up front singing and interacting, and everybody else just back there.

“There’s always moments when the spotlight’s on the other members, and it should be. But it creates more of a balance.

“We were talking about it and saying, ‘You know, this is really cool – it feels like a unit.’ So it’s a lot better.”

LaBrie states he’s not in communication with Portnoy. “I haven’t talked to Mike since the announcement he was considering leaving the band. The last time I verbally spoke to him and I heard his voice was on the conference call when he finally said, ‘Yes, I’m leaving the band.’ So that was it.”

Or this, once again not Portnoy bashing just saying they moved on. It probably seems like bashing to Portnoy because I think he badly wants back in.

Radio Futuro [via Blabbermouth] conducted an interview with Labrie, asking for his opinion on the possible return of founding member Mike Portnoy.
“That possibility, I don’t see it ever happening. It’s not gonna happen, because, first and foremost, Mike Mangini is a full-fledged member of the band now; he’s a phenomenal drummer and he’s doing everything that we could possibly want as a drummer in a band. He’s helping us realize exactly what we wanna do right now musically. And he will be our drummer until the day that we finish doing this, when we conclude.”
LaBrie adds, “Mike Portnoy was a big part of our past, but I think that’s where it’s going to remain. He was a drummer from the past. And as far as presently and into the future, it will be Mike Mangini, and we all feel very strongly about that. He’s an incredible drummer, he’s an incredible asset to the band, and he is fulfilling out wildest dreams as far as what we’re doing musically and what we’re doing with each album. So that’s the way it stands.”

Read More: Dream Theater Frontman Nixes Mike Portnoy Reunion Talk | https://loudwire.com/james-labrie-dream-theater-reunion-mike-portnoy-not-happening/?trackback=tsmclip

Or possibly this, but I don't view it as a slam on Mike, just that they have to move forward.

Q: Are you sad, James? I mean, this is a huge shift in the world of DREAM THEATER and progressive rock. It's a fucking earthquake.

LaBrie: "You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-singer-says-he-s-not-sad-at-all-following-mike-portnoy-s-departure.html#O0GzSC8ohSBdU6Sy.99

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1699 on: July 10, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Maybe this...

On the fact that DREAM THEATER is replacing more than just a drummer — Portnoy was the band's mascot, chief interviewee, driver of concepts, selector of setlists and was always at the forefront when the band was deliberating over a musical direction:

LaBrie: "Yes, Mike was all about those things and not to simplify it or belittle it, but that will just have to be something that we allocate to each and every one of us to take over. So that will be a major difference in the band. Instead of one person handling all of those responsibilities, it's going to be spread out over four others."

Rudess: "I guess we're excited about being able to look at all the cool stuff Mike did and spread them around a bit. We've got an amazing team of managers and tour managers, we're all very capable guys and we're not scared. This is not rocket science. This is not curing cancer, this is a rock band, and I think we can handle it."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-thought-he-could-control-dream-theater-says-keyboardist-rudess.html#Cf21MsGm04PqYLAl.99

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
Q: Are you sad, James? I mean, this is a huge shift in the world of DREAM THEATER and progressive rock. It's a fucking earthquake.

LaBrie: "You know what?! I'm not sad at all. I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

I'll tell you that that is a big part of anything I would cite.   Mike "tells it like it is" and he's a passive aggressive dickhead, and no context matter, but James "tells it like it is" and it's just him being honest.

The fact is, they DIDN'T "do everything", and while you can say "The Astonishing" is "uncharted waters", there's a lot of things that isn't at another level.   

And short of one Christmas release, they didn't do ANY of the things that Mike did. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1701 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
If bosk1 could trade DT-MP wife/baby metaphors for a dollar each, he could probably retire early and indefinitely pay for upkeep of the site at this point :lol

Don't let a lack of replies give you the wrong idea, this was definitely appreciated, by me at least. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1702 on: July 10, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
What are we even talking about here? And why are old James quotes being brought up?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1703 on: July 10, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
What are we even talking about here? And why are old James quotes being brought up?

I posted them based on what Stadler said. He got me curious. so I started looking up what James said. I can see where James is probably happy, MP is out of DT but I don't think he bashes him and he certainly doesn't retweet if someone posts a good review of DT by saying "DT was so amazing, so much better with MP gone, DT is good again"

Quote from: KevShmev on Today at 12:36:13 PM
Quote from: Stadler on Today at 08:45:22 AM
Quote from: Zook on July 08, 2017, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: ChuckSteak on July 08, 2017, 03:22:31 PM

Gladly; give me some time to find them all and I will.  Not making anything up; have no need to.  I have no dog in this hunt and since my impartiality has been (repeatedly) called into question, so I'm not about to double down on made up shit.   I'm on a call now, and will be at DMV tomorrow morning, but as soon as I can collect them, I will.

Offline Ruby Inferno

• Trapped in my phobia, possessed by anxiety
« Reply #1704 on: July 10, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Saw one of the Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress shows a few weeks ago. It was fantastic. :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1705 on: July 10, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
Any old 'mean' quotes from James pale in comparison to the sheer amount of public/social media posts MP made after the split....especially directly after the split.....AND near every JLB quote that could be deemed 'mean' was in direct response to something MP said/posted, they weren't preemptive 

There's simply no way that one can make any argument placing any of the DT/MP drama blame on anyone other than MP.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1706 on: July 10, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Any old 'mean' quotes from James pale in comparison to the sheer amount of public/social media posts MP made after the split....especially directly after the split.....AND near every JLB quote that could be deemed 'mean' was in direct response to something MP said/posted, they weren't preemptive 

There's simply no way that one can make any argument placing any of the DT/MP drama blame on anyone other than MP.

This.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1707 on: July 10, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »

You have to admire the persistence of Stadler to argue otherwise, though. :lol :lol

Meanwhile, in social media land...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1708 on: July 10, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
That is just a weird response. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1709 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »
Why would he even bother answering those Facebook posts?

Yeah, David Kaiser was an ass (like the thousands of them that post on places like Facebook or Youtube), but MP should know better than to get down to that guy's level.

The beer taster thing was very hard to read lol.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:40:31 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1710 on: July 10, 2017, 09:56:44 PM »
I don't know.. I don't find the response being weird or like something he shouldn't be doing.. What really bothers me are those attacks to DT without any solid argument or sense.. That we need context to fully understand what MP is talking about specifically, yes; but why does he has to say or write something that only he and the band would understand, when those sayings and writings are meant to be for us, the fans?..

I know we're all agreeing here that it wouldn't be a smart choice to unveil what that context is (if there's one so important or publicly unknown anyways), but maybe instead of hints he could give us the full story.. Otherwise, please, stop making those comments... But (back to what I was originally saying)... a response to a guy on the internet?.. I don't see why not, as long as it's not -also- a new unfortunate hurtful comment against DT..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1711 on: July 11, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »
My friends and I routinely greet each other with things like "Hey fuckface".  Or "Blow me".  Is that abusive?  Not when you know we've been through thick, thin, love, hate, whatever for over 30 years.

But if you were around people that didn't know that you were actually buddies then how do you think they would react?  Would they not think you guys were dicks?  Is that how you want people to see you?

WHO CARES what's behind the scenes, MP keeps representing himself poorly, it DOES NOT MATTER the relationship in the background.  Anyone who is new to Dream Theater would go online and see that their former drummer does nothing but talk shit about the current DT so is *that* how you want to introduce MP to people?  As an abusive, spiteful, vengeful grudge-holder?  Cuz that's all he comes across as.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:06 AM »
Why would he even bother answering those Facebook posts?

Yeah, David Kaiser was an ass (like the thousands of them that post on places like Facebook or Youtube), but MP should know better than to get down to that guy's level.

The beer taster thing was very hard to read lol.

If he felt the need to answer then the part in parenthesis would have been a good one. The current answer is such a bad move on MPs part.... and we have seen too many of those.

So far I have yet to see anything like it from anyone still within Dream Theater.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1713 on: July 11, 2017, 01:36:22 AM »

I'll tell you that that is a big part of anything I would cite.   Mike "tells it like it is" and he's a passive aggressive dickhead, and no context matter, but James "tells it like it is" and it's just him being honest.

The fact is, they DIDN'T "do everything", and while you can say "The Astonishing" is "uncharted waters", there's a lot of things that isn't at another level.   

And short of one Christmas release, they didn't do ANY of the things that Mike did.

I'm sorry, Stadler, but I'm beginning to wonder who you really are.  I'm really suspecting you of being close to MP to take up arms the way you do. If you're just a fan, well, let me remind you one thing : MP doesn't care what you say or do to defend him. It would save you a lot of trouble to let it go sometimes.

And I'm still waiting, like others, for your exact JLB quotes.
B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1714 on: July 11, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »

You have to admire the persistence of Stadler to argue otherwise, though. :lol :lol

Meanwhile, in social media land...

I agree with Gary and Kev.

....And that MP response  :lol