Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 257816 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2730 on: December 19, 2020, 09:37:02 AM »
The dark saber thing is the confusing part.  Bo-katan was given the dark saber the first time she was the leader by another Mandalorian Sabine Wren. Sabine said she couldn’t lead Mandalore and that Bo-Katan was the rightful, true heir. Not sure why she’s acting all weird about it now. Maybe just because Mof Gideon was giving her crap.

Luke Skywalker showing up was awesome and when you think about it makes the most sense. He’s the most powerful Jedi alive in the galaxy at that point.....of course he’d be the one to answer the call. I was the same way Gregg.....that X wing popped on screen and I was like ‘No Fn Way’  :metal

The entire season was set up for that moment. Especially when considering the dark troopers. I said it a few pages back that a Jedi was the only person who could battle them for obvious reasons......I just thought that’d be the introduction of Ahsoka but Filoni and Favreau handled her and Luke perfectly.

Where was the other guy Mandalorian that was with Bo-Katan when we first met her?

The Book of Boba Fett looks to be interesting. Wonder where the heck they take that story? Speaking of which, what direction does this show go now? I’m can’t imagine we see much more of Grogu.

Maybe the next time we see him is when a young Ben Solo is making a kabob out of him when he kills all Luke’s students. Although, they did say some of the students left with Ben?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2731 on: December 19, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
I figured out it was Luke when I saw the green lightsaber, and that he had one gloved hand wielding it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: December 19, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
I figured out it was Luke when I saw the green lightsaber, and that he had one gloved hand wielding it.

Really? Man, that X wing flew by and I was floored. Said to my middle son....”I can’t believe it....it’s Luke”. He was grinning ear to ear......

That entire sequence was awesome. The broken, grainy footage in the corridors.....leading to that no doubter scene you described....and as has been mentioned, the score that was playing under it all....just perfect.

I wonder if Disney now realizes just how badly they F’d up by not involving Dave Filoni in any of the sequel movies? Favreau is obviously a huge part in it all also but Filoni is the SW guru when it comes to lore and knowledge. Cant wait to see what they have planned in these other series.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2733 on: December 19, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
So what’s the deal with the dark Sabre now?  Bo-Katan didn’t “win” it, so ??

I really thought there was going to be a moment where Din Djarin was going to set her straight and say something along the lines of, "You showed me that old, outdated customs shouldn't define us.  I was too caught up in the old ways.  And I learned that, to help others, I had to discard some of those old rules and show my face.  Me taking my helmet off in your presence shows that I can still be a true Mandalorian without following ALL of the old customs.  You should follow your own advice.  Take the sabre and go lead your people."  Or something like that.  I was surprised they didn't do that and it just ended.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2734 on: December 19, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »

Really? Man, that X wing flew by and I was floored. Said to my middle son....”I can’t believe it....it’s Luke”. He was grinning ear to ear......

That entire sequence was awesome. The broken, grainy footage in the corridors.....leading to that no doubter scene you described....and as has been mentioned, the score that was playing under it all....just perfect.

I wonder if Disney now realizes just how badly they F’d up by not involving Dave Filoni in any of the sequel movies? Favreau is obviously a huge part in it all also but Filoni is the SW guru when it comes to lore and knowledge. Cant wait to see what they have planned in these other series.

I had an inkling it was luke at the sight of the x-wing, but didn't want to fully commit my emotions at that moment  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2735 on: December 19, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »
One of the big thoughts that came over me after this episode was that it was almost like they planned a contingency in case the show was going to end after season 2. If Bo-Katan had just taken the darksaber from Din (which would have been consistent with events from The Clone Wars), the show could have basically ended right there. It was almost like they saw how massively popular it is, so they decided to continue it by having the Mandalore plot take over as the main plot instead of focusing on Grogu.

I struggle to see where Grogu's plot goes from here. I doubt we see him training with Luke, but maybe I'll be surprised there. He's too much of a marketing and merchandise home run to let go of entirely. Maybe Ahsoka and the characters from Rangers of the New Republic (Cara?) come back together to save Grogu from a bigger threat (Thrawn?) in season 4.

I suspect the main plot with Din revolves around reestablishing Mandalore and who will lead the Mandalorians in season 3.

I don't know that I've ever been more excited in Star Wars than when I realized it was Luke. I was 80% sure after the X-wing and 100% sure after the gloved hand holding the green lightsaber. I wanted to stand up and cheer, but I was watching early in the morning before the rest of the family was up, so I contained myself.

I wonder if Disney now realizes just how badly they F’d up by not involving Dave Filoni in any of the sequel movies?
Filoni is obviously a Star Wars god, but I still think the issue with the sequel trilogy was lack of unified vision and lack of a plan. I honestly think if JJ Abrams had written and directed the whole thing, it would have been way better. But we don't need to delve into that any more than we already have. Filoni should be the creative head of all things Star Wars going forward, period, end of story. Get Favreau to stick around long term too. Those guys obviously get what people love about Star Wars.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: December 19, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »
I had an inkling it was luke at the sight of the x-wing, but didn't want to fully commit my emotions at that moment  :lol

I know....I was in disbelief just thinking to myself....."no way they do this.....no way they do this"

Filoni is obviously a Star Wars god, but I still think the issue with the sequel trilogy was lack of unified vision and lack of a plan. I honestly think if JJ Abrams had written and directed the whole thing, it would have been way better. But we don't need to delve into that any more than we already have. Filoni should be the creative head of all things Star Wars going forward, period, end of story. Get Favreau to stick around long term too. Those guys obviously get what people love about Star Wars.

Yeah.....we've beat that horse to death. It's just a shame they didn't involve people that actually 'know' SW. It's pretty clear Disney just wanted to make their $4 billion back as quick as possible.

What I learned from watching that 'Gallery' series about the first season.....Favreau is clearly the 'creative' mind behind this. Taking all the technology he's utilized over the years and creating 'the volume'......incorporating that gaming system way of shooting scenes.....the technical application and knowing how to use it and his directing vision are invaluable. Then, when Filoni speaks he's on a whole other level as far as understanding SW....there were even moments that Favreau openly said he had no idea what 'you' are talking about because Filoni was so in the weeds as far as lore and backstory. Filoni's encyclopedic knowledge and understanding of the SW universe and Favreau's keen understanding of 'how' to make movies is just a perfect one two punch.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2737 on: December 19, 2020, 02:00:26 PM »
What I learned from watching that 'Gallery' series about the first season.....Favreau is clearly the 'creative' mind behind this. Taking all the technology he's utilized over the years and creating 'the volume'......incorporating that gaming system way of shooting scenes.....the technical application and knowing how to use it and his directing vision are invaluable. Then, when Filoni speaks he's on a whole other level as far as understanding SW....there were even moments that Favreau openly said he had no idea what 'you' are talking about because Filoni was so in the weeds as far as lore and backstory. Filoni's encyclopedic knowledge and understanding of the SW universe and Favreau's keen understanding of 'how' to make movies is just a perfect one two punch.
Pairing Filoni's knowledge of Star Wars with a visionary director like Favreau is probably the best way to do Star Wars long term. I doubt Favreau would be interested in doing nothing but Star Wars for the next decade, but Filoni has been doing nothing but Star Wars for a long time now. Seems like a easy formula for success to me. Hopefully the Lucasfilm and Disney brass are paying attention to more than just the dollar signs rolling in from Disney+ subscriptions.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2738 on: December 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
I'm out of my depth with you guys here, but reading these posts... you don't need Favreau full time.  You need him to iron out the kinks when they arise.  You DO need a Filoni, though, to make sure the ship is always (generally) pointing in the right direction.  It's a fine line to "shake things up" without shaking loose the foundation, and you need a person to be guiding that part of the ship.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: December 19, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »
On a second watch, and the soundtrack is even more impressive.

Just watched for the third time. Had even more chills and watery eyes this time around than I did the first time. The music that accompanies Luke as his X Wing enters the scene and he boards the cruiser is utterly beautiful and perfect for that moment in the story. It gets more powerful with each viewing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2740 on: December 19, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »
Loved the ending and I was so happy they played Luke's theme. When it ended I was half expecting to hear the Star Wars theme play when they cut to credits as an homage to the movies.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2741 on: December 19, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
I can't wait to watch again.  So amazing.  Me, wife, and daughter were all crying watching.  So powerful.  We're all on board to watch next season even if there's no Grogu.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2742 on: December 19, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
Stunning season. Sadly, stupid internet headline writers spoiled the big surprise for me. Why can't people learn to not print spoilers in a headline?

Speaking of Favreau, even though he wrote the lions share of this season, I agree with a lot of people that say he should be the 'Kevin Feige' of Star Wars. The puppeteer that hovers over the franchise and steers it where it needs to go. I fully concur with that. Obviously, Filoni needs to also be a major presence.

And to beat another dead horse regarding the sequel trilogy, I feel the same way about JJ Trek. They took people who had no idea what they had and mucked it up. JJ even said he wasn't really a fan. I have yet to see a single JJ-verse movie and don't plan to.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: December 19, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
I’ve seen that Favreau gets credit fir ‘writing’ these episodes but it’s not to difficult to surmise that he’s clearly utilizing Filoni and others when crafting these stories. Filoni is a producer of every episode as Favreau is credited for writing. Whatever the heck they’re doing I hope they stick to it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2744 on: December 19, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
I'll say the one thing I was bummed was the lack of that killer end credit art style for this episode. I really hope they release those in prints or collectively in a book, the style is so stunning.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: December 19, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
I'll say the one thing I was bummed was the lack of that killer end credit art style for this episode. I really hope they release those in prints or collectively in a book, the style is so stunning.

Oh yeah......I was so floored from what I just saw I didn’t even realize the lack of artwork.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2746 on: December 19, 2020, 08:23:01 PM »
 :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: December 19, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
I recognize I'm way out of step here, and if I need to table this until the discussion on the Mandalorian dies down so be it, but I just watched the worst Star Wars movie/entry/whatever ever.   The Last Jedi was...   I almost didn't watch it all the way through.  To say it's tone deaf to the entire series is being polite to the point of mockery.   

So disappointed.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2748 on: December 19, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
I recognize I'm way out of step here, and if I need to table this until the discussion on the Mandalorian dies down so be it, but I just watched the worst Star Wars movie/entry/whatever ever.   The Last Jedi was...   I almost didn't watch it all the way through.  To say it's tone deaf to the entire series is being polite to the point of mockery.   

So disappointed.
You're definitely not alone in feeling that way. I personally loved The Last Jedi, but I get why people didn't care for it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2749 on: December 19, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »

I was so confused by the lack of art and I just kept watching. Then they went all Marvel with a post credits scene. I was so programmed by the art that I was trying to figure out what the catch was.

And, absolutely yes, I have said from the first season that I would buy a book of the storyboard art in a heartbeat. It is just stunning work.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2750 on: December 19, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »

I was so confused by the lack of art and I just kept watching. Then they went all Marvel with a post credits scene. I was so programmed by the art that I was trying to figure out what the catch was.

And, absolutely yes, I have said from the first season that I would buy a book of the storyboard art in a heartbeat. It is just stunning work.

I'm really surprised they haven't capitalized on it. I searched far and wide too, I wanted to get a high quality print for my kid for Xmas, and even the Disney art studios didn't have it. They have a ton of other really good stuff, but none in that distinct end credit style.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: December 20, 2020, 05:32:42 AM »
So what’s the deal with the dark Sabre now?  Bo-Katan didn’t “win” it, so ??

I really thought there was going to be a moment where Din Djarin was going to set her straight and say something along the lines of, "You showed me that old, outdated customs shouldn't define us.  I was too caught up in the old ways.  And I learned that, to help others, I had to discard some of those old rules and show my face.  Me taking my helmet off in your presence shows that I can still be a true Mandalorian without following ALL of the old customs.  You should follow your own advice.  Take the sabre and go lead your people."  Or something like that.  I was surprised they didn't do that and it just ended.

I suspect that what you describe, Bosk, is what the next season will be partially/primarily about.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2752 on: December 20, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
Oh wow, I actually didn't know anything about this episode beforehand so the ending caught me by surprise. A bit overwhelming to say the least.  :omg:

That's was an amazing moment seeing Luke fight. I just LOVE the buildup on how powerful they made him look, after all your following characters without jedi power and I find that contrast to be really interesting if you know what I mean.

I mean the only thing left (and i'm glad they didn't in a way) that could have destroy me was if they ended with the Star Wars main theme.  :chill  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2753 on: December 20, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
Rewatched the ending this morning. I'm sorry, but if you're not misty eyed after Din takes his helmet off to say goodbye to Grogu, you are dead inside.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: December 20, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
I watched The Rise Of Skywalker last night, then the first episode of The Mandalorian.    So I'm in, now.  I expect that football will interfere today, but if the games suck, I will try to get in a couple more episodes today.   TROS was very good, not great - really disappointed with the final trilogy overall; they missed the boat on that one big time, if you're asking me - and the Mandalorian was slight in contrast at a half an hour.   But it's got promise. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2755 on: December 20, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm reading some speculation now that The Book of Boba Fett might actually be season 3 of The Mandalorian. I wish Lucasfilm would come out and specifically say what it is. It could be a movie, a separate limited series leading up to The Mandalorian season 3, a separate full series that will overlap with the release dates season 3, or it could actually be season 3. I personally hope that it's a separate thing and that the Mandalorian will continue to follow Din.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2756 on: December 20, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »
Rewatched the ending this morning. I'm sorry, but if you're not misty eyed after Din takes his helmet off to say goodbye to Grogu, you are dead inside.

Yup.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: December 20, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm reading some speculation now that The Book of Boba Fett might actually be season 3 of The Mandalorian. I wish Lucasfilm would come out and specifically say what it is. It could be a movie, a separate limited series leading up to The Mandalorian season 3, a separate full series that will overlap with the release dates season 3, or it could actually be season 3. I personally hope that it's a separate thing and that the Mandalorian will continue to follow Din.

I would like to see Din’s story continue.....I think there’s still meat on that bone......but I will not question the decision if it isn’t. Again, until given a solid reason......I’ll trust Filoni/Favreau with however they want to present this SW material.

It appears a broader story is being crafted ala Marvel style

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-star-wars-marvel-studios-1234866986/

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: December 20, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
On a second watch, and the soundtrack is even more impressive.

Just watched for the third time. Had even more chills and watery eyes this time around than I did the first time. The music that accompanies Luke as his X Wing enters the scene and he boards the cruiser is utterly beautiful and perfect for that moment in the story. It gets more powerful with each viewing.

Found the song on YouTube

https://youtu.be/Vt0T2QlWf8c

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: December 20, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »
Something else that's being kind of gleaned over and taken for granted is just how easily Luke tore through an entire garrison of Dark Troopers. Soldiers that had been shown to be incredibly powerful, and that were built and programmed for the sole purpose of destruction. Din luckily beat just one of them.....and he's a seasoned warrior who we've seen that is more skilled than your average normal person. If he weren't wearing Beskar armor his head would have been killed in seconds with his head being splattered on the corridor walls.

It was awesome for them to show just how powerful the Jedi are....in particular Luke, a Jedi Master and 'the' most powerful Jedi alive. In my subsequent viewings it's particularly interesting the reaction of Mof Gideon as he sees it's a Jedi.....and I think he knows that it's Luke Skywalker. Remember, they've made a big deal for two seasons now that Mof Gideon knows everything about everyone.....they even reinforced the point as he spoke with Din.

There's no way he doesn't know 'who' Luke Skywalker is and what he's capable of.....and you can see it in his reaction as Luke makes his way to the bridge.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2760 on: December 20, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »
Yeah, it struck me immediately how much more powerful Luke was, slicing through those troopers like butter, whereas Mando is stretched to his very limit just to beat one of them.

Pretty sure it was deliberate to show the difference between the big players and little players in the SW universe. I’m fine with it, as long as they don’t do too much of it and make these side characters appear totally inconsequential.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2761 on: December 20, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »
First, I thought it was great but definitely not the best of the season.

Regarding Luke, 1) I get that a lot of people think the tech isn't good enough yet, and sure but at no point did it bother me. I was just stunned to see him...AND R2!!! 2) I really hope his presence doesn't overshadow the rest of the episode. Yes, it was super cool seeing Luke show up and treat the Dark Troopers like battle droids in the prequels...but there was a lot of other brilliance in the episode. I just hope we don't focus on Luke to the exclusion of everything else.

Beyond Luke, it was mostly a great episode. I dunno how I feel about the Boba Fett ending and how that impacts season 3. I also read (maybe on here or elsewhere) that fighting to the death for the Dark Saber wasn't a think before this episode? I dunno. I didn't like that part. Seemed just tacked on to throw in some tension that didn't go anywhere anyway. I would have just ditched that random minor sub plot.

But yea. All in all? Loved the season. People can get pissy about fan service, but this didn't seem cheap. We've already been sold on Mando and all of the original characters. So throwing in Luke after 2 seasons for 5 minutes seems fine. If Luke showed up in season 1 episode 3, and Ahsoka and Boba showed up in episode 2, then it'd be poor form. But we all love Mando. We love Grogu. We love the other characters we've met. Sadly it seems a good amount of people didn't like the Luke stuff. I did, I just hope it doesn't take center stage when it should be a great dessert.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: December 20, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
Yeah, it struck me immediately how much more powerful Luke was, slicing through those troopers like butter, whereas Mando is stretched to his very limit just to beat one of them.

Pretty sure it was deliberate to show the difference between the big players and little players in the SW universe. I’m fine with it, as long as they don’t do too much of it and make these side characters appear totally inconsequential.

I actually think they did a good job of showing just how 'strong' the side characters are with several of the story arcs this season. Din, Boba Fett, Bo-Katan......they all were shown to be pretty formidable against their peers. They did an excellent job of building and showing the power of the Dark Troopers against a 'normal' foe....how they were pretty much unstoppable.....then they did an excellent job of showing just how powerful and skilled a fully trained Jedi Master is. It was beautiful.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: December 20, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
But yea. All in all? Loved the season. People can get pissy about fan service, but this didn't seem cheap. We've already been sold on Mando and all of the original characters. So throwing in Luke after 2 seasons for 5 minutes seems fine. If Luke showed up in season 1 episode 3, and Ahsoka and Boba showed up in episode 2, then it'd be poor form. But we all love Mando. We love Grogu. We love the other characters we've met. Sadly it seems a good amount of people didn't like the Luke stuff. I did, I just hope it doesn't take center stage when it should be a great dessert.

Where are you seeing/reading that? I've seen/read the opposite.....I think it's been pretty well received. There is that pompous segment of the SW fandom that NOTHING anyone does SW wise will satisfy them.....but I get the impression that the use of Luke in that episode has been a massive hit.

I said it earlier when the 'fanservice' was mentioned and you just hit on it......there was nothing out of place about the 'fanservice' in this season. Nothing was forced and included just to be there. It all fell within the story and made perfect sense. It belonged......plain and simple.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2764 on: December 20, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

Where are you seeing/reading that? I've seen/read the opposite.....I think it's been pretty well received. There is that pompous segment of the SW fandom that NOTHING anyone does SW wise will satisfy them.....but I get the impression that the use of Luke in that episode has been a massive hit.

I said it earlier when the 'fanservice' was mentioned and you just hit on it......there was nothing out of place about the 'fanservice' in this season. Nothing was forced and included just to be there. It all fell within the story and made perfect sense. It belonged......plain and simple.

Mostly the people I follow on Twitter. Admittedly, might be a very small amount of people in the end. So hopefully it's not representative at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com