Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646822 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4795 on: July 08, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4796 on: July 10, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
Started re-watching the series last night. Hammered out the first four episodes. I definitely understand more of the conversations that are going on now rather than the first time I watched.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4797 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
I always mention that to people watching the first time that a lot of the conversations that happen in the first 3 seasons seems kind of arbitrary at times but have a ton of context once you get around the end of season 4. I'm sure it has even more context now with the conclusion of season 6.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4798 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
I always mention that to people watching the first time that a lot of the conversations that happen in the first 3 seasons seems kind of arbitrary at times but have a ton of context once you get around the end of season 4. I'm sure it has even more context now with the conclusion of season 6.

Even a simple conversation between Ned and Robert when they were talking about Rhaygar and the war made more sense. The first time I watched that I had no idea what they were talking about.

Jon Snow basically being hated from day one at Castle Black because of his privileged background. Totally forgot that.

Arya telling Ned after he outlined a future for her as a wife and mother of many great kids that his vision "wasn't her" and she immediately began balance training after saying that.

Totally forgot Tyrion and Jon had a brief yet meaningful relationship. That could easily come in to play.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the producers have been "telling us" the whole time without us really being able to know it at the time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4799 on: July 10, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »

Jon Snow basically being hated from day one at Castle Black because of his privileged background. Totally forgot that.

Totally forgot Tyrion and Jon had a brief yet meaningful relationship. That could easily come in to play.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the producers have been "telling us" the whole time without us really being able to know it at the time.

There are many reunions that I've wondered about, one of which is Jon and Tyrion. I think Tyrion would be extremely proud of how far Jon has come. Tyrion felt really bad for Jon because he was led to believe the Night's Watch was this proud and noble cause. He assumed it was filled with men like his uncle Benjen. Meanwhile he came to see it was filled mostly with Westeros' rejects. They'll definitely see each other again and I'm wondering what Tyrion's reaction will be to finding out about Jon's real parents. Actually, I'm exceedingly curious about everyone's reaction to that.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #4800 on: July 10, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
So, I hate to talk about this but let's just say he does pass away, do you think he has someone already picked out to finish writing the series?

My hope is that GRRM finishes it; no one else could do it the same.  That said, my guess would be Daniel Abraham: https://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/

They live in the same area, they've collaborated on other projects, and GRRM supplied cover blurbs for his Dagger and Coin fantasy series (pretty good books, btw). 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4801 on: July 10, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
So, I hate to talk about this but let's just say he does pass away, do you think he has someone already picked out to finish writing the series?

My hope is that GRRM finishes it; no one else could do it the same.  That said, my guess would be Daniel Abraham: https://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/

They live in the same area, they've collaborated on other projects, and GRRM supplied cover blurbs for his Dagger and Coin fantasy series (pretty good books, btw).

I purchased the first book in that series. It's on my list.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4802 on: July 10, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
Dagger and Coin is wrapped up now so it's a great time to start.

Wasn't super impressed with the ending but it was a great ride, definitely worth reading.

And if you like D&C be sure to check out his Sci-fi series The Expanse co-written with GRRM's assistant Ty Franck. Abraham also has another fantasy series called The Long Price which I have started on.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4803 on: July 10, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »
I watched the scene with Lyanna and Ned about 50 times to see what she whispers into his ear. She starts to say "his name is" and it looks like she says Aerys and then it cuts away to Bran. It would make sense if that was his name since that was the name of grandfather. Watch it and see how her lips move. After she says the name, then what she says is more intelligible. "If Robert finds out, he'll kill him. You know he will. You have to protect him."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4804 on: July 10, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
I watched the scene with Lyanna and Ned about 50 times to see what she whispers into his ear. She starts to say "his name is" and it looks like she says Aerys and then it cuts away to Bran. It would make sense if that was his name since that was the name of grandfather. Watch it and see how her lips move. After she says the name, then what she says is more intelligible. "If Robert finds out, he'll kill him. You know he will. You have to protect him."

I've read she whispers a 3 syllable name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4805 on: July 10, 2016, 06:05:52 PM »

Even a simple conversation between Ned and Robert when they were talking about Rhaygar and the war made more sense. The first time I watched that I had no idea what they were talking about.

Arya telling Ned after he outlined a future for her as a wife and mother of many great kids that his vision "wasn't her" and she immediately began balance training after saying that.

i've rewatched the series multiple time (I'm a bit obsessed and it's my favorite show of all time).  There are things I still pick up on that I didn't notice the first x times watching. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4806 on: July 11, 2016, 05:06:20 AM »

I just started reading the first book, and there is a shit ton of foreshadowing in even the first few chapters that I can only appreciate having watched the show.  Also, yeah the show helps put a lot of conversations, attitudes etc into context.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4807 on: July 11, 2016, 06:13:33 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4808 on: July 11, 2016, 07:14:18 AM »
 :lol

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #4809 on: July 13, 2016, 01:28:58 PM »
Well, since you've started...

Also, apparently the biggest hinge door stopper manufacturer in Czechia has a CEO named Josef Hodor. You just do not make such things up.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4810 on: July 13, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
Anyway, if after six seasons you all forgot how every character is in this mess now...

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4811 on: July 13, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
I thought it was Bran's fault for climbing.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4812 on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »

That also, right after he promised his mother not to.

Screw climate change, the whole series is a reminder of "Listen to what your mother says"!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #4813 on: July 13, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

That also, right after he promised his mother not to.

Screw climate change, the whole series is a reminder of "Listen to what your mother says"!

Or possibly "however much you want to pork your sister, nothing good ever comes out of it".
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4814 on: July 13, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
Czechia

please... just don't use this

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4815 on: July 13, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »

I thought it was Littlefinger killing John Aryne

no wait

I thought it was Jamie killing the Mad King

no wait

I thought it was Rheagar banging Lyanna

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4816 on: July 13, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Actually, it's GRRM's fault for writing the books.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4817 on: July 13, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
Actually, it's GRRM's fault for writing the books.

bingo  :lol

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #4818 on: July 13, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »
Czechia

please... just don't use this

As long as Germany, Poland, USA etc. have the luxury of having a short geographical designation/label, I insist we have it too. You, sir, don't have to write out "The Czech Republic" each time the country is mentioned. Between the two of us, I would prefer Czechlands myself, but we get what we get...

Also, I'm really curious whether GRRM will try to "outdo" the series, by diverging, having more twists etc or whether he'll keep the book the same as he intended before.If Winds will ever get released, that is.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4819 on: July 13, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
Also, I'm really curious whether GRRM will try to "outdo" the series, by diverging, having more twists etc or whether he'll keep the book the same as he intended before.If Winds will ever get released, that is.

I remember him commenting about some of the fan theories that were actually true, and the temptation to change it all, but that he couldn't go through with it 'cause the clues would have been still there in the books, so he has to go on as planned.

I wonder how he feels about certains plot points that are now definitively spoiled by the books, like the Hodor thing and Jon's parentage. Other things like Stannis' fate may be different but definitively his fans discovered about Hodor from the TV shows rather than in the book, I expect him to have very mixed feelings about this...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4820 on: July 13, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
The writers said the Hodor thing was directly from GRRM so I guess he knew that it would be spoiled.

I'm also very curious if the show ends up having any influence on how he finishes the books.  Wether that be to change things, or to use fans reactions to gauge what he should do.  Some things are too deep in the books to just change though with all the prophecies and hints.

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #4821 on: July 13, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
I wonder how he feels about certains plot points that are now definitively spoiled by the books, like the Hodor thing and Jon's parentage. Other things like Stannis' fate may be different but definitively his fans discovered about Hodor from the TV shows rather than in the book, I expect him to have very mixed feelings about this...

I'm still a Stannis fan, so here's hoping for a change of mind...  :angel:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4822 on: July 13, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »

Well IMO it's his own fault. It's not like they just threw together 5 Seasons in seven months and then broadcast them as fast as they could. Dude has had ample time to tell HIS story the way HE wanted to....which he ultimately will....but, I don't think he can begrudge HBO. They've made him a very rich dude. I'm sure the books were popular before the whole HBO thing but HBO took the story and him to a whole different level.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4823 on: July 13, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
I'm not sure how it will read in the book but the Hodor thing was pretty impactful just from the way it was filmed. I thought about it the other day and got kind of bummed out.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4824 on: July 13, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I'm not sure how it will read in the book but the Hodor thing was pretty impactful just from the way it was filmed. I thought about it the other day and got kind of bummed out.

That young Hodor scene with him freaking out drew some tears out of me....not gonna lie. Just to imagine he's been strapped with that all those years. The way I understood it was that the young Hodor was able to see himself in that moment holding the door and dying? did anyone else understand it that way? Which made me thing Hodor spent his whole life 'knowing' when he was going to die?

Yes....no?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4825 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
I completely forgot Littlefinger double crossed Ned, which led to him being executed. Curious to how things would have shaken out had Littlefingers men backed Ned in the throne room.

Also totally didn't recognize that Renly went to Ned with a pretty good plan to oust the Lannisters and Ned didn't bite.

I really like Ned's character but they make it pretty obvious that he wasn't cut out for the political realm.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4826 on: July 17, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »
I'm buying the whole series in blu-ray and I'm about to start a massive re-watch of the whole thing. The quality alone makes it worthwhile.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4827 on: July 17, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
I've just finished rewatching the first season. The feels  :sadpanda:

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4828 on: July 17, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »
Yeah the potential right too bad they dropped the ball over and over

:angel:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4829 on: July 18, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
I've just finished rewatching the first season. The feels  :sadpanda: