Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645226 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4760 on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
It's funny you mention that since I just started reading AGOT for the first time and I just finished a chapter where there's a lot of passages about how much she dismisses Jon.

It's odd reading the book after watching the show since I sort of know the main plot points and I usually hate that but at the same time a lot of the background information is clicking since I already have an understanding of how the world is. I have a feeling I would have been overwhelmed with the amount of backstory if I didn't have previous knowledge.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4761 on: July 03, 2016, 02:27:47 AM »
Anyway, remember a while back the discussions about the line of succession should Tommen die? all those theories about looking back into the Baratheon line, finding out a common ancestor with Tywin, finding other possible candidates etc.... well, the solution was the simplest one. Cersei became queen because SHE BLEW UP EVERYONE ELSE WITH GODDAMN WILDFIRE  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4762 on: July 03, 2016, 07:06:08 AM »
Unfortunately that's not how the law in Westeros or any other feudal society works. If any other houses had armies left to fight with (which the Tyrells really ought to, but apparently the Tyrell army hanging out in King's Landing didn't care that Cersei blew up their lords), there would be open rebellion. And there sort of is. See, Robert was ultimately descended from Targaryens meaning that the oaths that the great houses pledged to House Targaryen still bound them to him. Cersei is not descended from Targaryens, meaning the great Houses don't owe her fealty, period.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4763 on: July 03, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
Yeah, the scene of Cersei being crowned was her pushing everyone around to make it happen. The KL populace are still shocked from the explosion; they likely have no idea she's even been crowned in that moment (the timeline is increasingly unclear for these scenes, though). There will definitely be fallout next season. I'm sure she'll have Ser Strong squash some more heads when people question her crowning.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4764 on: July 03, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »
Yeah, the scene of Cersei being crowned was her pushing everyone around to make it happen. The KL populace are still shocked from the explosion; they likely have no idea she's even been crowned in that moment (the timeline is increasingly unclear for these scenes, though). There will definitely be fallout next season. I'm sure she'll have Ser Strong squash some more heads when people question her crowning.

Look around the scene where she is crowned.  It's all Lannister people (check out the colors) who have no option but to be faithful to their liege queen. 

Anyway, remember a while back the discussions about the line of succession should Tommen die? all those theories about looking back into the Baratheon line, finding out a common ancestor with Tywin, finding other possible candidates etc.... well, the solution was the simplest one. Cersei became queen because SHE BLEW UP EVERYONE ELSE WITH GODDAMN WILDFIRE  :biggrin:

I thought the same thing being someone who share a post of the hierarchy.  Funny how that worked out.   :lol

Unfortunately that's not how the law in Westeros or any other feudal society works. If any other houses had armies left to fight with (which the Tyrells really ought to, but apparently the Tyrell army hanging out in King's Landing didn't care that Cersei blew up their lords), there would be open rebellion. And there sort of is. See, Robert was ultimately descended from Targaryens meaning that the oaths that the great houses pledged to House Targaryen still bound them to him. Cersei is not descended from Targaryens, meaning the great Houses don't owe her fealty, period.

There is open rebellion, just not in Kings Landing where the power is clearly Lannister after blowing up anyone but Olenna who had power over the Tyrells.  Next season we will all see how the other families react to this (and we already saw how Tyrell and Martell (Sand) are reacting)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4765 on: July 04, 2016, 09:29:25 AM »
One detail I saw pointed out in a meme: with the destruction of the Sept of Baelor, all the leaders of the great houses at the beginning of the series are now dead.

In order of demise:

Jon Arryn, poisoned by the wife
Robert Baratheon, murdered by a pig
Ned Stark, beheaded for "treason"
Tywin Lannister, Elvis death
Balon Greyjoy, thrown off a bridge
Doran Martell, kiled in a coup
Mace Tyrell, nuclear victim
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4766 on: July 05, 2016, 06:30:38 AM »
Even other leaders, such as Lord Commander Mormont, Khal Drogo, The King Beyond the Wall, and of course, the beloved Stannis, have  perished.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4768 on: July 06, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
Sucks, but was expected.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4769 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
Good more time before I need to start taking blood pressure meds again.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4770 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »
Still rowin'.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4771 on: July 06, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »
The Winds of Winter (the book) won't be out anyway when the delayed season starts  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4772 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »
The Winds of Winter (the book) won't be out anyway when the delayed season starts  :lol

so sad if thats the case, which would also be expected though :sadpanda:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4773 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
Has anyone else seen the rumors that Winds of Winter would be the last book? I'm sure it's probably just something somebody started, but it keeps popping up.

Still rowin'.

:lol  I like how they added that at the end of the article.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4774 on: July 06, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
TWoW will definitely not be the final book. Martin's editor said we may even end up with an eigth book.

...my name is Araragi.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4775 on: July 06, 2016, 09:34:48 PM »
TWoW will definitely not be the final book. Martin's editor said we may even end up with an eigth book.

I'd bet $1000 this never happens, at least not written by him. He's yet to finish the 7th book and I give the dude tops 10 years left alive, and that's being nice. Meaning, he will be dead before the 8th book ever was finished.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4776 on: July 06, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
So, I hate to talk about this but let's just say he does pass away, do you think he has someone already picked out to finish writing the series?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4777 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
Elio M. García and Linda Antonsson would be my best guess and I'd be happy with that too.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4778 on: July 07, 2016, 03:16:31 AM »
Poor guy, everyone's worried about his health only because he still has to finish the books  :biggrin:

Not directed at anyone in this thread, it's a general feeling I see from various comments around the various sites, "Write before you die" basically.

In case he doesn't finish the books I'm not so sure he would pass the torch, maybe he'd rather have it unfinished, I don't remember reading any comments about him, also because it's kinda rude to ask him "What would happen to the books if you'd die?".

Personally, I wish he'd finish the books for himself mainly... I understand that - as Neil Gaimain pointed out - he's not anyone's bitch and  that he has to be inspired, feel comfortable etc etc but if not to his fans, he owes it to himself. You started something, finish it!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4779 on: July 07, 2016, 03:41:39 AM »
https://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-7-premiere-date-will-later-usual/
I had a feeling this would happen and had mentioned to it the day before this came out to my coworker. I had a sneaking suspicion the next season would start a little later given it would be a shorter season. I'm just hoping the boxset doesn't get any more delayed than their usual March release.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4780 on: July 07, 2016, 04:09:14 AM »
I remember he said he won't pass the right to finish the books to anyone, so if he dies, "we're screwed". Of course, that was some time ago and I guess that can change.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4781 on: July 07, 2016, 05:48:37 AM »
Now I guess since HBO is telling the story and will have the same ending as the books, I guess he wouldn't need to finish writing the series in time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4782 on: July 07, 2016, 05:50:25 AM »
Now I guess since HBO is telling the story and will have the same ending as the books, I guess he wouldn't need to finish writing the series in time.

I guess he wouldn't need to do anything, but that would be very unfortunate and I'd find that pretty sad if he just let the TV show be the official ending of the story.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4783 on: July 07, 2016, 05:57:51 AM »
I wonder how many times he's scrapped something he wrote because he hit a dead end. It has to be difficult to keep track of so many characters and having them meet up at the right point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4784 on: July 07, 2016, 06:09:49 AM »
I wonder how many times he's scrapped something he wrote because he hit a dead end. It has to be difficult to keep track of so many characters and having them meet up at the right point.

Id guess that's the biggest problem with his story.  The last two books opened so many new plots and characters that getting to the end of all those intertwined plots would be a very messy web to untangle.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4785 on: July 07, 2016, 06:12:57 AM »
The last book started out with a handful of new characters, if I remember correctly, one of which didn't appear again to the very end when Sam showed up in Old Town. I'm so curious as to how the next book will start off.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4786 on: July 07, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
I think that the speculated final title for his series would be 'A Dream of Spring'.

Very fitting, if you ask me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4787 on: July 07, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
It's not speculation, that's the title that Martin gave for what would be the seventh novel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4788 on: July 07, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »

Id guess that's the biggest problem with his story.  The last two books opened so many new plots and characters that getting to the end of all those intertwined plots would be a very messy web to untangle.

just make some room on SS abandoned plotlines with Gendry i reckon.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4789 on: July 07, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »
Gendry's eternal boat ride is show-exclusive. He's pretty much wrapped up in the book blacksmithing for the BWB.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4790 on: July 08, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
Gendry's eternal boat ride is show-exclusive. He's pretty much wrapped up in the book blacksmithing for the BWB.

I'm assuming since he's with them in the book that is probably where we'll see him next season. Maybe Arya will run into him.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4791 on: July 08, 2016, 05:44:03 AM »
So what does everyone think of the fan theory that says the whole story of A Song of Ice and Fire is actually a story being read by Sam as a Maester?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4792 on: July 08, 2016, 06:50:49 AM »

Doesn't mean his story is wrapped up.  In the show all Baratheons are dead (in book, it seems we can safely assume Stannis dies) so he could still become a legitimized Lord since Arya knows who he is.  Or he could just continue with the BWB who also clearly are not done in the story (both show and book).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4793 on: July 08, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
So what does everyone think of the fan theory that says the whole story of A Song of Ice and Fire is actually a story being read by Sam as a Maester?
No.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4794 on: July 08, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »