Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646849 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4165 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
LF sacrifice himeself?  No way IMO he is way to selfish. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4166 on: June 10, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
I'd like to think that he'd do it out of his love for Catlyn.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #4167 on: June 10, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
What about this series makes anyone think that the Starks will win the battle? I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsey ended up killing Jon Snow and recapturing Sansa. With the way this show has gone, that seems much more likely than the Starks winning.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4168 on: June 10, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
What about this series makes anyone think that the Starks will win the battle? I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsey ended up killing Jon Snow and recapturing Sansa. With the way this show has gone, that seems much more likely than the Starks winning.

understandable, but if Martin (and the HBO honchos) want to tell a good, solid story it's that time of the tale for things to begin to shape up for the ending. Doesn't have to be a 'happy' ending per say....but the evidence that has been spattered about the chaos of the show thus far suggests that it's time for the Starks to win.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4169 on: June 10, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »

Jon Snow is way too important.  I think we find out why in the season finale.  I do agree somewhat that the obvious of Ramsay being defeated may not happen because it seems so obvious, but I don't see Jon dying.  In fact, since the series is coming towards an ending, I got to think the North will be united soon to begin the fight against the White Walkers.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4170 on: June 10, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »

Jon Snow is way too important.  I think we find out why in the season finale.  I do agree somewhat that the obvious of Ramsay being defeated may not happen because it seems so obvious, but I don't see Jon dying.  In fact, since the series is coming towards an ending, I got to think the North will be united soon to begin the fight against the White Walkers.

Yeah....the larger stories are coming in to play and Ramsay is not part of the larger story IMO. It's the battle vs the White Walkers and what's going to happen in Kings Landing with Dany....it seems to me that those will be the focus here on out with the Ramsay/Winterfell storyline being decided in Episode 8.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4171 on: June 10, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »

I don't think it's anticipation that Starks take all, but rather that there's a reason the whole thing (originally) is called A Song of Ice and Fire, which is that the final conflict is dragonDany vs. Ice – the (redistributed) Stark sword and, evidently, the frozen Stark family itself. We just wanna see that take shape now that the end is in sight and nobody knows what the hell is coming around each corner.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4172 on: June 10, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
LF sacrifice himeself?  No way IMO he is way to selfish.

I'd like to think that he'd do it out of his love for Catlyn.

I don't think Littlefinger has any reedeming qualities. Varys' quote about him "He would let the world burn if he could be king of the ashes" may be entirely accurate. Sure he wouldn't mind if Sansa is alive and well but there's no one in Westeros and Essos he'd die for, for me.

Even from a non predictable narrative standpoint, it doesn't make sense to kill Jon Snow, resurrect him and then let him die again. Jon also is clearly shaped up to be one of the key players of the endgame, and he just can't die before he, or at least the audience, discovers who his real parents are.

Also, the White Walkers are clearly and surely gonna invade Westeros one way or the other and what's the point of having Ramsay holding the north when he's gonna be icy-trampled to death anyway?

Surely it won't be an entirely happy ending, and even if it is, it will be a short lived happiness when the White Walkers will invade, but the battle for Winterfell is the last time a character like Ramsay is needed.

Then again, we're all none the wiser and we shall see, Ramsay could lose the castle but escape, kill a lot of good guys before falling etc, but I would be very surprised if there's still the Bolton banner on top of Winterfell when the season ends.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4173 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
Then again, we're all none the wiser and we shall see, Ramsay could lose the castle but escape, kill a lot of good guys before falling etc, but I would be very surprised if there's still the Bolton banner on top of Winterfell when the season ends.

Melissandrea saw it herself in the flames, the bolton flags will be down and she will walk through Winterfell.  To me, it's mostly "what's the collateral damage" and I immediately think it's Rickon.  Maybe, but hopefully not, Tormund.  I feel like a "good guy" has to die at this battle.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4174 on: June 10, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »

Do you want some coffee, Mr Tulley?

Moving along, Jon Snow isn't getting killed. That would be poor storytelling on Mr. Martin's part. Shock value and writing the unexpected are one thing, but killing someone that just came back to life after ending his previous book with one of the biggest cliffhangers, involving that same character, in recent literary history has no reasonable assurance. Even though Martin has killed off some of our favorite characters, there was always logic behind his decision, and it fit well with the story. Jon will be around towards the end or even possibly at the end. It would be against his heroic status to die any time sooner.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #4175 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
What if at the end we're meant to cheer for the white walkers? Maybe all the bad guys will prevail and then get their butts kicked by the others? (I doubt it)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4176 on: June 10, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
I think there will be a drastic change involving The Others and I think Daenerys has the capability to go mad like her ancestors. We'll learn of something groundbreaking regarding Varys. Sansa will be extremely important the further we get towards the end and last week's episode has started to show that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4177 on: June 11, 2016, 02:04:16 AM »
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that the White Walkers are the good guys, in a warped sense. Protecting Westeros from the fracked up sh!t men do, or from the real menace of the dragons... there was some pages ago a link to a theory that seemed to make sense, that the War for the Dawn ended not with a victory but with a truce, and the White Walkers *chose* to stay the hell away.

In the show the Children of the Forest appear to have created the White Walkers to defend themselves from humans, so it could really be that the White Walkers are trying to protect Westeros from men.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4178 on: June 11, 2016, 03:36:33 AM »
What makes me doubt that is the fact that GRRM compared the white walkers to climate change on different occasions and interviews, the threat sneaking up on humanity while humanity is busy with it's own squabbles. So it's hard to think of them as the good guys in the context.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4179 on: June 11, 2016, 04:31:07 AM »
Well, but we brought climate change upon Earth, it's not that the sun got closer or something. If the White Walkers were created to defend the Children of the Forest from humans, maybe men have their blame somehow.

Always that reddit theory I talked about reported a quote from GRRM, he said something along the lines of "Ok, Tolkien is a god and everything, but only he got right the whole dark lord vs heroes thing, it's boring to have evil dark lords everywhere" and someone pointed out "Ok, but the White Walkers - the Others in the book - are pure evil" and he said "There's more to them than that, you'll see".

Anyway, as I said before, this whole White Walkers thing is what interests me the most about the series. More than knowing who gets the Iron Throne, given and not granted that at the end of the saga there will even be an iron throne and seven kingdoms to rule.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4180 on: June 12, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
The climate change relation could also just be literal since the White Walkers bring winter with them

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4181 on: June 12, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that the White Walkers are the good guys, in a warped sense. Protecting Westeros from the fracked up sh!t men do, or from the real menace of the dragons... there was some pages ago a link to a theory that seemed to make sense, that the War for the Dawn ended not with a victory but with a truce, and the White Walkers *chose* to stay the hell away.

I posted that theory a couple of times. It's something that would be really unique if that were to be a clue to the ending of the show. When George R.R. Martin said that a couple of fans had guessed the correct ending, it was believed that the theory on Reddit was the one. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4182 on: June 12, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
I fucking love the Hound.

I can't believe I'm rooting for the Mountain either but I am. Fuck the Sparrows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4183 on: June 12, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
So it looks like next week is going to be dedicated solely to the battle.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4184 on: June 12, 2016, 08:06:44 PM »
Like Watchers At The Wall? Hell yes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4185 on: June 12, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
So what is everyone's predictions for the battle? Will the Knights of the Vale show up? If I'm basing it on sheer numbers, it's hard to perceive Jon winning, but it's not impossible. Maybe Haldir or Eomer will show up? I'm going to be on edge all week.  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4186 on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »
So what is everyone's predictions for the battle? Will the Knights of the Vale show up? If I'm basing it on sheer numbers, it's hard to perceive Jon winning, but it's not impossible. Maybe Haldir or Eomer will show up? I'm going to be on edge all week.  :lol

I think the nights of the Vale arrive just as it looks like all is lost for Jon. They propel Jon to victory.....Little Finger gains Sansa's "respect" or whatever and that is that.

Probably the least satisfying episode of the season thus far but all in all it still moved the story forward.

I'm assuming Cersi was inquiring about the fuel that is spread all over the city.....and again the mention of "burn cities to ashes" when Jamie spoke of Cersi's love for her kids and what lengths she would go to. I'd say it's a safe bet she's gonna try to burn the city down. Will Jamie stop her?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4187 on: June 12, 2016, 10:11:08 PM »

I think the nights of the Vale arrive just as it looks like all is lost for Jon. They propel Jon to victory.....Little Finger gains Sansa's "respect" or whatever and that is that.

Probably the least satisfying episode of the season thus far but all in all it still moved the story forward.

I'm assuming Cersi was inquiring about the fuel that is spread all over the city.....and again the mention of "burn cities to ashes" when Jamie spoke of Cersi's love for her kids and what lengths she would go to. I'd say it's a safe bet she's gonna try to burn the city down. Will Jamie stop her?

I agree that it was the least satisfying episode of the season. It's probably because the next two episodes are going to be rife with exhilaration so tonight's episode was the lead-up to what will transpire over the next two weeks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4188 on: June 12, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
The Hound's scenes were fantastic, great to see Thoros and Berrick back.. The King's landing scenes were awesome especially the Mountain's violence. Riverrun was so-so I think I would've loved it had it been shorter. I did love the scenes with Brienne and Jaime. Maybe on second viewing I'll like it more. I think it's setting up for some great battles with Dany and the masters and of course the battle of the bastards. I'm a little torn on Arya's scenes, normally I don't have an issue with stretching stuff to fit the narrative and letting go of stuff that's not real etc.. but Arya jumping out of the terrace and rolling around is a little well.. too stretched out. Nonetheless, I seriously thought when Jaaqen said she was truly no one, Arya would come round. Super pumped for the last two episodes and cannot believe it will be another year of waiting.

Excuse the spelling names.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:23:06 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4189 on: June 12, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »

I have the same sentiment though oddly still enjoyed it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4190 on: June 12, 2016, 10:39:56 PM »
Well we had the hangings, but none from Lady Stoneheart. If she doesn't show up by the end of this season, I think it's safe to say she will never show up. I'm disappointed. She might not be overly integral to the end of the story, and that's why she hasn't appeared yet, but I really wanted to see her character on screen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: June 12, 2016, 10:50:16 PM »

I have the same sentiment though oddly still enjoyed it.

Certainly had highlights. I agree with faizoff that the Hound scene was awesome, and both Jamie and Cersi's scenes hint of something to come.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: June 12, 2016, 11:38:13 PM »
Good episode.
The theories about what happened with Arya were all so much better and more creative than what actually happened, I think I would have liked it better if I hadn't read any of these theories.
The scene with Brienne and Jaime were very moving, loved it.
Was great seeing Podrick and Bronn together again, cool little scene.
Good to see Beric Dondarrion and Thoros back, it's remarkable that their appearance didn't change one bit :lol
I'm very excited about next episode and at the same time already mourning the very possible loss of the actor who plays Ramsay, he's been spectacular to watch.

One note about the previous episode, I don't get how Sansa maintains her level of bitchiness, after all the shit she went through and she's still a smug douche, smirking at Davos and talking shit about him to Jon, what else would it take to humble her!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4193 on: June 13, 2016, 12:10:08 AM »
Good episode.
The theories about what happened with Arya were all so much better and more creative than what actually happened, I think I would have liked it better if I hadn't read any of these theories.
The scene with Brienne and Jaime were very moving, loved it.
Was great seeing Podrick and Bronn together again, cool little scene.
Good to see Beric Dondarrion and Thoros back, it's remarkable that their appearance didn't change one bit :lol
I'm very excited about next episode and at the same time already mourning the very possible loss of the actor who plays Ramsay, he's been spectacular to watch.

One note about the previous episode, I don't get how Sansa maintains her level of bitchiness, after all the shit she went through and she's still a smug douche, smirking at Davos and talking shit about him to Jon, what else would it take to humble her!

Beric and Thoros are two of my favorite characters. I was glad to see them back as well. I'm curious as to what The Hound's purpose will be. Also, will he ever see Arya again?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4194 on: June 13, 2016, 12:40:28 AM »
I think if he were to have a greater purpose than just being a fighter for the brotherhood we'd have to see Beric die one last time, The Hound taking command of the brotherhood and pulling an unexpected take over of a big important stronghold from one of the big families to base operations and grow the brotherhood's forces into a formidable army. But then again I feel like for the most part they're gonna deal with him like a good secondary character and make him work for one purpose and die a heroic and/or tragic death, which is exactly how I think they're dealing with Brienne.
But I do hope he sees Arya again and gets to fight The Mountain, however I have a feeling neither of these thing are going to happen.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4195 on: June 13, 2016, 12:48:23 AM »
Because of Tommen's decree in regards to trials by combat, it looks like Clegane Bowl is no longer possible, especially since it seems The Hound is going to be running around in the north.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4196 on: June 13, 2016, 05:03:28 AM »
1. Its interesting to watch tyrion make pretty much the exact same mistake as Cersei. Investing in religious fanatics. And its sad to see the 
     brilliant Tyrion just sitting around drinking wine and wasting time. He has full power and the whole place goes to shit. Its a shame

2. Guess it wasn't jaqen in disguise after all. As much as I love Arya, I was almost hoping she got killed. She screwed these people, twice. Then         
     strolls around town in the wide open like she is hot shit. It was nice to see the waif get murdered, I've been waiting for that for a long time.
     The waif was doing some T-1000 shit during that chase, lol. I wish the offbeat theories would have been true. How it played out was very
     straitforward.

Ultimately I am SOOO happy that arya faceless men arc is wrapping up. Went on way too long, But at the
     very least, she's a terminator now, so there's that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:17:52 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4197 on: June 13, 2016, 05:15:57 AM »
She's not out of the woods yet. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4198 on: June 13, 2016, 06:51:23 AM »
Easily my least favorite episode of the season. Though my expectations for this show are astronomically high and I normally enjoy the episodes a lot more once I rewatch them.

The hound scenes were great. The Jamie and Edmund & Jamie and Breinne scenes were great. I've been less than impressed with Tyrions plot this season. Curious to see how they wrap Myreen up. Maybe they'll actually use all 3 dragons now. And where did Vaerys go?

I didn't love how they ended Arya's arc. Why not show her defeat the waiff after making us watch Arya get her ass kicked mulitple times? I'm hoping something bigger comes of that plot line.

As far as Cersei goes, I have a feeling that she is going for the Wild Fire and that Jamie is going to kill her to prevent her from burning them all. The prophecy did say she would be killed by her younger brother.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4199 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
I thought this episode was fantastic.  The Arya scenes were thrilling, the Hound was great, as was his interaction with Thoros and Beric.  The scenes with Jaime and Brienne were really great, also.

Can't wait for next week's episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.