Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646833 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3675 on: May 11, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »
 :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3676 on: May 11, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
I don't think that just the Tower of Joy scene was the only once with plot advancement. Actually, it still didn't confirm the R + L = J theory yet. All we know is that Ned won that sword fight unfairly. I'd say Jon Snow's last scene had more advancement. He made his next move, avenged his death, and decided his watch has ended.

Furthermore, we already knew about the Tower Of Joy from the books.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3678 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Well, I mean, whatever.  Publish the damn book, George.

And then the next one will take 15 more years, I suppose.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3679 on: May 11, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »
Yeah, that's a very old chapter, I guess it's the first time it gets official but, well, I think I've read it in 2012 or something.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3680 on: May 11, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Do you think there's distinct possibility that he's working on more than just the next book? What if he's coming up with ideas for book seven and going with the flow?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3681 on: May 11, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
I have avoided reading the few released chapters.  I don't like the tease, just finish the damn book!

I'd imagine he has to be coming up with plots for book 7 as he writes book 6, although I don't see him writing both at the same time unless things get shifted in the editting process to the next book.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3682 on: May 11, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I have avoided reading the few released chapters.  I don't like the tease, just finish the damn book!

I'd imagine he has to be coming up with plots for book 7 as he writes book 6, although I don't see him writing both at the same time unless things get shifted in the editting process to the next book.

Which is what happened with books 4 and 5. That's why I haven't ruled it out as a possibility.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3683 on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
As much as I want it to be true, nah, I learned better than to expect something like that from GRRM. Remember when he released Feast in 2005 and claimed he has enough material written to get Dance published the very next year? Then he ended up doing a lot of rewriting, revising, and Dance only got published in 2011.

Well I think it's the same with Winds and Dream, or worse. I think we will see Winds published eventually, then he will announce he won't wrap the series up in seven books and the plan goes from seven to eight, and I'm honestly not sure if the seven book will ever see the light of day.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3684 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »
I do not want to think about his mortality right now. Let's hope he does what Robert Jordan did and have someone ready to take over in the event of his passing.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #3685 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:51 PM »
I think he explicitly said he doesn't want anyone else continuing his series. But then, if he's already dead he can't really do anything against it...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3686 on: May 11, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
I guess it depends on what is outlined in his contract with the publishing company and with copyrights and whatnot.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3687 on: May 11, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
Me too. i think it's because all evidence points to him being THE character that is going to being peace or unite...or whatever the 'end game' for the story is. Jon Snow appears to be the key ingredient....not Dany or Tyrion. That 'game' they are playing will go on forever but the invasion from the White Walkers is the only threat to man and Jon will be the one who stops them...not the other two.

I don't think so.  I think we will see a Stark/Targaryen alliance.  Especially since the book series is called A Song of ICE and FIRE.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3688 on: May 11, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
Some think Jon is both the Ice and Fire because of his yet to be confirmed lineage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3689 on: May 11, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
Me too. i think it's because all evidence points to him being THE character that is going to being peace or unite...or whatever the 'end game' for the story is. Jon Snow appears to be the key ingredient....not Dany or Tyrion. That 'game' they are playing will go on forever but the invasion from the White Walkers is the only threat to man and Jon will be the one who stops them...not the other two.

I don't think so.  I think we will see a Stark/Targaryen alliance.  Especially since the book series is called A Song of ICE and FIRE.

So?  That doesn't mean it can't be ice vs. fire in the end.  Although I do agree with you, I think a very possible scenario is they unite to fight off the fight walkers in the end using the fire of the dragons that are being rode by Dany (full Targ), Jon (half and half), and Bran (through warg, and full Stark).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3690 on: May 11, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
This is not a negative remark cause I love this season so far but also this is the fastest a GoT season has moved along story-wise ever, it's starting to feel like they're suddenly marching quickly towards the end, which makes it feel like a movie now for lack of a better comparison. But it feels too sudden and too different from the first four seasons, the fifth season now seems to have been made to serve entirely as a set up for the current one.
I miss the feel of the first four seasons a bit tbh, lots of stories and doors opening, a huge universe and a colossal web of characters and events, sometimes seemingly with nothing in common except for the fact that they all happen in the same world. Now it feels like everything is going towards the same thing, whatever that is, which is a natural way of preparing for a conclusion but it just feels a tad sudden, like there was no transition between how it was and how it is now except for the set up of season 5 and that really didn't feel like it was a sufficient transition, I dunno if I'm expressing that thought clearly.
Perhaps it feels that way because they're not following the books anymore, I haven't read them and I'm no book snob but it seems plausible a factor.
I also miss how in the first four seasons we spent each episode entirely in one place or with one character.
Oh well, it's still great.

Few things about the new episode:
- Cersei and Jamie are just plain and flat at this point, they're dangerous but not really interesting anymore. I hope they don't kill Kevan though, I like that guy.
- Arthur Dayne's sword fight scene was brilliantly choreographed. I always thought that eventually when the series is over HBO might do a movie or two about Robert Baratheon's Rebellion since it would of a great watch for GoT fans and now I'm wondering if they'll use this footage or recreate this scene again, or maybe just scrap it for being a sort of  side story to the rebellion.
- Melisandre is no longer on Arya's list, not sure why.
- Why does Davos think Jon is important? I guess that's a question for the previous episode as well. I mean Jon obviously is important but what does Davos know?
- Rickon Stark, totally unexpected! Though we were bound to see him again sooner or later. I hope Ramsay doesn't give him the Theon treatment. He didn't look freaked out or even upset enough about his capture or the death of his wolf, but that could be the actor.
- Is Arya really gone? Cause she was honest enough about being no one to drink that water and not die, if she's truly a faceless assassin now then that's not really interesting, cause as far as I understand it means she doesn't carry inside her anything that made her Arya Stark except a set of memories, so no revenge and no longing to find family members, etc.
- Haha Olly.

Addition: Also remembered the executioner Ilyn Payne is no longer on her list!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3691 on: May 11, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
This is not a negative remark cause I love this season so far but also this is the fastest a GoT season has moved along story-wise ever, it's starting to feel like they're suddenly marching quickly towards the end, which makes it feel like a movie now for lack of a better comparison. But it feels too sudden and too different from the first four seasons, the fifth season now seems to have been made to serve entirely as a set up for the current one.
I miss the feel of the first four seasons a bit tbh, lots of stories and doors opening, a huge universe and a colossal web of characters and events, sometimes seemingly with nothing in common except for the fact that they all happen in the same world. Now it feels like everything is going towards the same thing, whatever that is, which is a natural way of preparing for a conclusion but it just feels a tad sudden, like there was no transition between how it was and how it is now except for the set up of season 5 and that really didn't feel like it was a sufficient transition, I dunno if I'm expressing that thought clearly.
Perhaps it feels that way because they're not following the books anymore, I haven't read them and I'm no book snob but it seems plausible a factor.
I also miss how in the first four seasons we spent each episode entirely in one place or with one character.

- Cersei and Jamie are just plain and flat at this point, they're dangerous but not really interesting anymore. I hope they don't kill Kevan though, I like that guy.
- Arthur Dayne's sword fight scene was brilliantly choreographed. I always thought that eventually when the series is over HBO might do a movie or two about Robert Baratheon's Rebellion since it would of a great watch for GoT fans and now I'm wondering if they'll use this footage or recreate this scene again, or maybe just scrap it for being a sort of  side story to the rebellion.
- Why does Davos think Jon is important? I guess that's a question for the previous episode as well. I mean Jon obviously is important but what does Davos know?
- Rickon Stark, totally unexpected! Though we were bound to see him again sooner or later. I hope Ramsay doesn't give him the Theon treatment. He didn't look freaked out or even upset enough about his capture or the death of his wolf, but that could be the actor.
- Is Arya really gone? Cause she was honest enough about being no one to drink that water and not die, if she's truly a faceless assassin now then that's not really interesting, cause as far as I understand it means she doesn't carry inside her anything that made her Arya Stark except a set of memories, so no revenge and no longing to find family members, etc.
- Haha Olly.

Well, there is a real reason for that.  The actor died in real life. 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3692 on: May 11, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

- Haha Olly.

Well, there is a real reason for that.  The actor died in real life.
Actually he didn't die, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given about a year to live, but after extreme surgery he is cancer-free. So a better end to that story than expected.

But yeah, he wasn't able to be on the show any more which is why Illyn Payne hasn't been seen hanging around around King's Landing in later seasons. Also it was probably in good taste to take him off Arya's list.

Members of the Brotherhood Without Banners and Melisandre also went missing from Arya's list at the start of season 5. Maybe she took a more forgiving outlook, or maybe the showrunners trimmed it down to the key people she might actually run into again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: May 11, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
He isn't dead?!  That's good news indeed, thought for sure he died.  Maybe Melisandre had something to do with that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3694 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
The link to the news of the chapter brings to a screencaps recap of the episode, and it says this about Rickon coming back:

"Speaking of Starks, how many non-book-readers even remembered Rickon and Osha existed? How many of them thought that this weird rude dude with a beard who was making fun of Ramsay had captured Nymphadora Tonks and stripped her of her wand?"

D'uh. I don't get the assumption that non book readers would be just in for tits and shock deaths, barely paying attention to the plot, and that only book readers would be into all the tiniest details. If at all, book readers can tell the difference between the show and the books, but even if the books never existed, once I'm following the story I do well remember there was a Rickon and a Osha.

I know there are a lot of people out there who still haven't understood that Dany's name isn't Khaleesi, but come on, people are binge-watching now and this show is widely discussed all year long, can't see why everyone who is an active fan of the show and not a casual viewer totally forget about something just because it wasn't shown for a couple of seasons.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3695 on: May 11, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
The link to the news of the chapter brings to a screencaps recap of the episode, and it says this about Rickon coming back:

"Speaking of Starks, how many non-book-readers even remembered Rickon and Osha existed? How many of them thought that this weird rude dude with a beard who was making fun of Ramsay had captured Nymphadora Tonks and stripped her of her wand?"

D'uh. I don't get the assumption that non book readers would be just in for tits and shock deaths, barely paying attention to the plot, and that only book readers would be into all the tiniest details. If at all, book readers can tell the difference between the show and the books, but even if the books never existed, once I'm following the story I do well remember there was a Rickon and a Osha.

I know there are a lot of people out there who still haven't understood that Dany's name isn't Khaleesi, but come on, people are binge-watching now and this show is widely discussed all year long, can't see why everyone who is an active fan of the show and not a casual viewer totally forget about something just because it wasn't shown for a couple of seasons.

So true, but also Rickon is not back in the books sooo book readers seem just as likely to have forgotten. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3696 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Is Ghost the only remaining direwolf?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3697 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:52 AM »

We haven't seen him this season, but I'm fairly certain Summer is still alive. And for all we know Nymeria is still out there.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3698 on: May 12, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »

We haven't seen him this season, but I'm fairly certain Summer is still alive. And for all we know Nymeria is still out there.
Ah, yes. Forgot about them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3699 on: May 12, 2016, 09:34:44 AM »

Ah, yes. Forgot about them.

Yup, those three should all be alive although where Summer and Nymeria are is anyone's guess.  Seems to be a lot of people think that wasn't Shaggydog's head last episode because it seemed too small, I think it is possible the Umber's are tricking the Boltons.  and I'd assume Nymeria has her pack of wolves in the Riverlands

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3700 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »
I'm sorry Sycsa, but it just seems to me that you're confusing "advancing the plot" with "action scenes".
Lolz. No reason to debate guys like you.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3701 on: May 12, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »
No need for that.  Especially since your point doesn't seem to hold, and everyone else agrees.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3702 on: May 12, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3703 on: May 12, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
Choc full of speculation and Theories about Shaggy Dog, Rickon and the whole Umber alliance.

https://mashable.com/2016/05/12/game-of-thrones-rickon-umber-theory/#TY7uEDO8eOqi
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3704 on: May 12, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
The focus on what happens in the North made me think a bit more about the late Roose Bolton.

Half ironic question, what has he done so wrong, aside the Red Wedding? Sure, in that occasion he was a treacherous bastard and for that he deserved a far worse death than the one he got, but unlike for example Joffrey, did he ever remind you "yeah, this is why this traitor needs to die"? he was an intelligent reader of the chessboard of Westeros, every advice he gave to Ramsay was the best one and he was actively teaching him how to survive in the political landscape. He never threw tantrums or killed people just because, and he showed respect for Sansa and even Theon, never humiliating them, and there is no indication that he mistreated his wife, even though he has no shame in admitting he picked her for her size and consequent payment in gold.

The Red Wedding damns him even if he would single handedly stop the invasion of the White Walkers, but if he didn't take part in that, I would hardly even consider him a villain.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3705 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »
The focus on what happens in the North made me think a bit more about the late Roose Bolton.

Half ironic question, what has he done so wrong, aside the Red Wedding? Sure, in that occasion he was a treacherous bastard and for that he deserved a far worse death than the one he got, but unlike for example Joffrey, did he ever remind you "yeah, this is why this traitor needs to die"? he was an intelligent reader of the chessboard of Westeros, every advice he gave to Ramsay was the best one and he was actively teaching him how to survive in the political landscape. He never threw tantrums or killed people just because, and he showed respect for Sansa and even Theon, never humiliating them, and there is no indication that he mistreated his wife, even though he has no shame in admitting he picked her for her size and consequent payment in gold.

The Red Wedding damns him even if he would single handedly stop the invasion of the White Walkers, but if he didn't take part in that, I would hardly even consider him a villain.

I think that Roose provided quite the contrast to Ramsey, so I liked that he didn't have similar qualities to his bastard.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3706 on: May 12, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
Roose is pretty similar to Tywin, smart cunning leader who looks to do what's best for his family regardless of "right or wrong".  Betraying Robb was wrong, but he was able to see how Robb's mistake of a wife was going to cost him.  Just watch those scenes where Roose would be around Robb and Talisa.  He gives such dirty looks because he knows how wrong of a decision that was so he takes his opportunity with Jamie to switch sides.  Wrong and makes him a villian, but you can say he made the right choice for his survival.  He has not shown other traits of being evil.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3707 on: May 12, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
I had no problem with Roose, overall. Yes, the Red Wedding was his major strike against him. However, how many of us here think Robb would have survived to begin with? He chopped of Rickard Karstark's head, which was a bit capricious if you ask me. I know what the Karstark did wrong, but I think Robb needed to understand politics better. He got a bit arrogant for his own good and it cost him. Don't forget his breaking the oath Catelyn made with Walder Frey. I think Roose was the northern equivalent of Tywin.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3708 on: May 12, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
No need for that.  Especially since your point doesn't seem to hold, and everyone else agrees.
Whether or not my opinion holds in the majority's view is irrelevant. I got a misdirected (and somewhat condescending) comment and replied accordingly. I never said or even implied anything about "action scenes," so my conclusion was that what I said was completely misinterpreted by BlackInk, as in "went over his head," hence the picture I linked. No reason to keep arguing without a common frame of reference.

I stand by my point, the last episode was a filler with very few meaningful plot developments, simple as that. I don't see why that is such a controversial stance, but oh well. It wouldn't necessarily be a problem in and of itself, the plot's pacing isn't an indicator of how entertaining a show is, so no need to get hung up on that one particular aspect. My gripe is that Dany's, Ayra's and the High Sparrow's plotlines simply aren't entertaining to me at this point, and they take up a huge chunk of the show. I just wish they would get on with them already, instead of dragging them out like they do. I wanna see what's happening in Dorne instead, for instance. That's why the pacing bothers me. Over and out.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3709 on: May 12, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
OK