Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645160 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3185 on: January 25, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
Gee, whatever happened to potential spoilers being posted in tiny font?
I just post SPOILERS at the start of my potentially spoilery posts. Tiny text is pretty annoying, I find.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3186 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
It's supposed to be annoying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3187 on: January 25, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
:jamaritard:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3188 on: January 25, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
Mission accomplished

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3189 on: January 25, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Mission accomplished

lol

:lol

It's no more annoying than Joffrey's whining but much less gratifying than seeing that purple choking face of his gasping for its last breaths of air.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: January 25, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »
Mission accomplished

lol

:lol

It's no more annoying than Joffrey's whining but much less gratifying than seeing that purple choking face of his gasping for its last breaths of air.

Joffrey was one of my favorite all time TV characters.  Of course I hated him, but I loved hating him.  I was actually upset when he died, the actor was perfect for that role.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3191 on: January 25, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
That actor was certainly amazingly gifted at making people hate him.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3192 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »

Everything about him, his small body frame, his squealing voice, the look of disgust, the bitchiness attitude.  Perfect.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3193 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
He supposedly isn't going to act anymore.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #3194 on: January 26, 2016, 05:32:33 AM »
Spoilers, I guess.

I think that any guess is as good as the other at this point. I mean, yes, allegedly the creators had iput from GRRM, to have some idea where the story goes... in broad strokes. The divergence of the series from the books has already gotten so high I don't think anyone's really able to make any educated guess as to what will come next based on the books themselves. For all the energy and time GRRM spent on the Meereenese knot (the importance of which still escapes me, BTW) the show doesn't really follow. When I remember the last two books, there are many scenes/storylines that just weren't in the series. The series also concentrate on different things/scenes.

I also think that GRRM might have underestimated his own tendency to spread - after 5 doorstoppers, not that much really happened, winter is still coming, the Others are nowhere to be seen etc. And his plan is to finish it in mere two books. 5 books of world- and ominous-dread-building is impossible to finish that shortly, unless you want to leave a lot of people disappointed. So my guess is, there will probably be more books. But maybe I'm wrong.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3195 on: January 26, 2016, 05:41:49 AM »
Either there will be an eighth book, or the next two books are going to be extremely long.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: January 26, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
Spoilers, I guess.

I think that any guess is as good as the other at this point. I mean, yes, allegedly the creators had iput from GRRM, to have some idea where the story goes... in broad strokes. The divergence of the series from the books has already gotten so high I don't think anyone's really able to make any educated guess as to what will come next based on the books themselves. For all the energy and time GRRM spent on the Meereenese knot (the importance of which still escapes me, BTW) the show doesn't really follow. When I remember the last two books, there are many scenes/storylines that just weren't in the series. The series also concentrate on different things/scenes.

I also think that GRRM might have underestimated his own tendency to spread - after 5 doorstoppers, not that much really happened, winter is still coming, the Others are nowhere to be seen etc. And his plan is to finish it in mere two books. 5 books of world- and ominous-dread-building is impossible to finish that shortly, unless you want to leave a lot of people disappointed. So my guess is, there will probably be more books. But maybe I'm wrong.

It's hard to say without knowing where the story is going.  I'd imagine it could be done in two books if he starts writing in a direction towards the end and not creating more characters and more plots, but it will take a lot of story telling to get there so I agree with you on that part.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: January 26, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

Not saying you're wrong, but at the end of book 5 winter has officially come, white raven and all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:17:06 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3198 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »

Everything about him, his small body frame, his squealing voice, the look of disgust, the bitchiness attitude.  Perfect.

That probably is causing him a lot of trouble in his life lol. People looking at him and going like "OMG that's Joffrey I HATE YOU"
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »

That probably is causing him a lot of trouble in his life lol. People looking at him and going like "OMG that's Joffrey I HATE YOU"

lol I can imagine people immediately don't like him when they see him.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3200 on: January 26, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
And by all accounts he's a very nice bloke.

Think of it, he was so good at acting, that he made us all cheer to see a teenage boy die painfully in front of their parents  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3201 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:09 AM »
Seriously.  :lol   I loved watching interviews with him after he left the show though. He dealt with the questions about him being a prick in the show extremely professionally and humorously.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: January 27, 2016, 06:22:27 AM »
https://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/26/game-of-thrones-pilot-jon-arryn

The article says there are spoilers, but unless you haven't watched the show, there are no spoilers.

Essentially the show actually filmed a scene for the pilot of Jon Arryn's death that never got used.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3203 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
I knew about that. Maybe it's something that will be seen eventually, like on a DVD/Blu-ray release.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: January 28, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
GoT quiz for fun https://www.zoo.com/quiz/the-ultimate-game-of-thrones-quiz?mkcpgn=i600001025&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hswaccount&

I got 40/41, I think the one I got wrong was a trick question though, no spoilers and I think it's based solely off the show, but I'm not sure you'd easily know a couple of the answers without reading the books.

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3205 on: January 29, 2016, 12:10:15 AM »
GoT quiz for fun https://www.zoo.com/quiz/the-ultimate-game-of-thrones-quiz?mkcpgn=i600001025&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hswaccount&

I got 40/41, I think the one I got wrong was a trick question though, no spoilers and I think it's based solely off the show, but I'm not sure you'd easily know a couple of the answers without reading the books.

I got 38/41, but I honestly think no. 14 is wrong.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3206 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
40/41

As far as 14, I know that Robert calling Cersei Lyanna really pissed her off. She said that in beginning she was in love with Robert, so I think it would have had to happen after the marriage, not before.

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3207 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:41 AM »
40/41

As far as 14, I know that Robert calling Cersei Lyanna really pissed her off. She said that in beginning she was in love with Robert, so I think it would have had to happen after the marriage, not before.

Yeah, but I definitely remember something along the lines their relationship was stained from the very first moment, because Cersei was in love with RT and when Robert killed him and married her instead, she was already a bit sour about that. And calling her Lyanna just sealed the deal. Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3208 on: January 29, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »
I don't remember it perfectly either. Was she in love with RT, or was she just interested in power?

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3209 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:48 AM »
All I can find right now is the following quote from AWOIAF:

"When Cersei was a girl, her father promised her that she would marry Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and would one day become queen. She was delighted by this news and became infatuated with Rhaegar upon their first meeting at the tourney for King Aerys II."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3210 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:08 AM »
I do remember that line. Hmm... Is that what did it for her though? Can you find her quote about the Lyanna reference?

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3211 on: January 29, 2016, 04:00:55 AM »
I'm at work now, but when I get home, after I listen to TA at least once;D ), I will do a more thorough research. So far it's neither here nor there.

EDIT: Oh, I think I found it:

https://books.google.cz/books?id=NuMx6tmf5iIC&pg=PA362&lpg=PA362&dq=never+forgive+Robert+for+killing+Rhaegar&source=bl&ots=EmyWvEYIZ0&sig=JoAlZZYJDR-Ea6kSoBStGU27wP4&hl=cs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_5ffH8c7KAhWGaxQKHc4oCQoQ6AEIVDAG#v=onepage&q=never%20forgive%20Robert%20for%20killing%20Rhaegar&f=false

(hope the link works). Should be page 362. I think that's where I got the idea (and other people on the net, too). But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Also, quoting another person from a different forum:

To my point- in Cersei's chapters, and more than once, we see her actually fawning over the memory of Rhaegar. She even thinks to herself that if he were alive today, her life would be much better, and the realm would probably be in a better place as well. She remembers how beautiful he was, his harp that made her weep, and even drawing she and him together on dragon back and hiding it from Jaime, whom she supposedly never hid anything from.

This is surprising for a person that tends to not think of almost ANYONE around here with much great extreme. She remembers her father fondly, yet she realizes that he had his faults. Whilst remembering Rhaegar though, she remembers a man beautiful, cunning and loved by all. Even a quote saying that at a tournament, people cheered for their father above all, but only half as loud as when they cheered for Rhaegar. I find it very interesting that a person like Cersei can speak of someone in this magnitude and still hold that much love for him even after his death. In a weird way this creates a very weird and twisted paradox of her marriage. Robert hated Rhaegar for "killing" his love Lyanna, in ways Cersei hated Robert for killing her love Rhaegar, yet in the end, Cersei and Robert entered into a grudging and loveless marriage. As she even states, "the wrong man came back from the Trident that day"....

The Lyanna reference I can't find right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:18:38 AM by matthewmatt »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3212 on: January 29, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »
Maybe they took the questions from their knowledge of the show, because I know you hear that Lyanna reference mentioned there. However, I don't think she ever alludes to her love for Rhaegar. I know she asks the question in the flashback scene, but that's not really any profession of love.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure the quiz was based on the show, I don't recall them using the back reference of Cersei being interested in Rheagar in the show, but they certainly brought up the "Lyanna" during the bedding scene which is why i think that was the answer.

The "trick" question I was referring too and got wrong was "Who won the tourney of the hand?"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3214 on: January 29, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
Since I assumed the quiz was a show reference, Sandor  was the first that came to mind. Though in ASOIAF, there are many references to different Tourney's of the Hand.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: January 29, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »
Since I assumed the quiz was a show reference, Sandor  was the first that came to mind. Though in ASOIAF, there are many references to different Tourney's of the Hand.

Yes, I only assumed it was the one we saw on the show and while Sandor was the answer, Loras was the actual winner, it's just that Loras gave the win to Sandor.  That's why I thought it was a trick question.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3216 on: January 29, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Shit, that's right. Loras actually won that.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3217 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure the quiz was based on the show, I don't recall them using the back reference of Cersei being interested in Rheagar in the show, but they certainly brought up the "Lyanna" during the bedding scene which is why i think that was the answer.

The "trick" question I was referring too and got wrong was "Who won the tourney of the hand?"

I don't think quiz was based on the show. There was no Vargo Hoat on the show, and there's a question about him, for instance.

Oh, and I got 40/41 failing the question about Robert and Cersei too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3218 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
Shit, I just realized that the Dream Theater show in NYC and the return of Game of Thrones are in the same weekend!  Best weekend in a long time!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: January 29, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
Shit, I just realized that the Dream Theater show in NYC and the return of Game of Thrones are in the same weekend!  Best weekend in a long time!

Wow, it sure will be! And the week before is Avantasia in NYC.  Going to be a lot of fun that week.